Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation
Default MacGyver My Meal

I love cooking! When I want to learn to cook something I become very studious, I read recipes and forums and cook books, I plan a trip to the market with a specific shopping list, I buy the best ingredients I can afford and then I make it a few times and try to perfect it.

But I'm not a great by-the-seat-of-my-pants cook.

My Best Femme is, she can turn 5 random and seemingly unmatchable ingredients into a gourmet 3-course meal using a microwave and a hot plate. (I've seen her do this exact thing, its quite impressive.)

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where you can come in and share a list 5 or 6 random ingredients you have, and crowd source possible meals to be made of them.

For example...

I currently have:
  • 1 bag of uncooked edamame,
  • 2 large yams,
  • 1 frozen naan,
  • a small block of havarti and
  • a bag of arugula.

that may or may not be the sum total of the contents of my fridge/freezer at the moment.

Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

How about a nice salad, baked cheese "bread," and a baked yam.

~ Bake one of those yams in the oven.

~ Toss some of the edamame into boiling water for like 3 mins (until tender) then chill in the fridge.

~ Put some of the havarti on the naan and pop that into the oven to bake for a bit.

~ Grab a bowl and put some of the arugala in it, then top the arugala with the cooked/chilled eamame and some of the havarti.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

That sounds quite awesome, actually! Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Welllllllllllll.....it sounded fun, until "yam" was the only ingredient on there I even recognized. I obviously need to get out more.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Cannot help myself.....

A yam and cheese sandwich of course with a salad. *Chuckles.

Actually, seriously, Parker has the better idea. :-)
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Cannot help myself.....

A yam and cheese sandwich of course
*rim shot*

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I love cooking! When I want to learn to cook something I become very studious, I read recipes and forums and cook books, I plan a trip to the market with a specific shopping list, I buy the best ingredients I can afford and then I make it a few times and try to perfect it.

My Best Femme is, she can turn 5 random and seemingly unmatchable ingredients into a gourmet 3-course meal using a microwave and a hot plate. (I've seen her do this exact thing, its quite impressive.)

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where you can come in and share a list 5 or 6 random ingredients you have, and crowd source possible meals to be made of them.

For example...

I currently have:
  • 2 large yams,
  • 1 frozen naan,
  • a bag of arugula.

that may or may not be the sum total of the contents of my fridge/freezer at the moment.

Any ideas?
OoooO Like Chopped!!!

Thaw, then bake the naan, wash the arugula, shred the havarti, bake the yams, blanch and puree the edamame.
If you had a meat pan sear.

Plate the puree first, plate the naan, palte the meat, plate the arugula, slice the yams, top with havarti.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Corkey, that sounds fantastic too! I would never have thought to purée the edamame! I did consider puree'ing the roast yam with a little Greek yogurt and some chile (cheating).

/I knew there was a cooking show that did something like this as part of the competition. I couldn't remember what it was called!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

For example...

I currently have:
  • 2 large yams,
  • 1 frozen naan,
  • a bag of arugula.

Any ideas?
You could also --

bake the yams til almost done. peel.

add to saute pan with olive oil, season with salt/pepper
add edamame and arugula til wilted/cooked
place on top of (un)frozen naan
add some grated cheese
place back into oven til melted

MMM.

(maybe some crushed/sliced garlic would be good too)
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
You could also --

bake the yams til almost done. peel.

add to saute pan with olive oil, season with salt/pepper
add edamame and arugula til wilted/cooked
place on top of (un)frozen naan
add some grated cheese
place back into oven til melted

MMM.

(maybe some crushed/sliced garlic would be good too)
YUM! .....
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
For example...

I currently have:
  • 2 large yams,
  • 1 frozen naan,
  • a bag of arugula.

Any ideas?
I would first peel and cut the yams into small bite size cubes and quickly fry them till they are crispy, drain on paper towels and lightly season with kosher salt. Second, I would prepare the edamame, shell them, and lightly season the peas with kosher salt. Next, I would slice up the havarti and get the naan half baked, maybe a little more than half baked it would just depend on the product. I usually have some roasted garlic oil around so I would probably use that to spread all over the half baked bread then place the yam chunks and edamame all over the naan. Here would be my dilemma, do I put the arugula on and then the cheese and really wilt it down with all the other ingredients, or do I put the cheese on and wait and add the arugula later for the not so wilty taste which would change the experience some what?

Great thread!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

What I did...

I sliced one yam/sweet potato in to very thin rounds (I got a microplane for xmas and was dying to use it) and tossed them in an extra light virgin olive oil, seasoned them with salt, pepper and red pepper and baked them until crisp... et voila, sweet potato chips/crisps.

I baked the naan half-way, and then shredded the havarti over it and stuck it under the broiler for a minute until melted.

And I cooked and shelled the edamame and tossed them in a bowl with the arugula and some roasted sunflower seeds and a light olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing. The sunflower and flax seed mix I found was a good addition to the salad, it gave it more flavor.

Another set of ingredients? Anyone?