Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #21
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Wow.

So You don't miss the feel of the pages or the cover of the book? <sigh>
Not at all. And honestly, that surprised me. I thought I would. The new kindle's font replicates book font very closely, but my eyes don't get as tired. There's also a lot less glare on the new kindle's screen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #22
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default Kindle = LOVE.

Got my Kindle for Christmas and have been enraptured ever since in a serious, SERIOUS way.

I have been hemming and hawing for a year now about the Kindle, trying to decide if I would actually use it and if the cost of it was justified. I tend to get most of my books at yard sales, library sales, and thrift stores because Im a cheapass and hate to spend anything over $2 - $3 for a book.

Needless to say, when I opened the package on Christmas eve it was like the heavens had opened up and showered me with "Hallelujahs"!

I LOVE my Kindle (Booja) for several reasons:
* It's lightweight and not nearly as awkward to hold in bed as a huge book.
* It has helped me rediscover my love of good fiction.
* It's a GREEN product - Saves lots of paper and printing energy!
* It helps me better maintain a clutter-free atmosphere in my home.
* It has a super-friendly user interface and easy access to lists on Amazon and has gotten me excited about reading again.
* It's sexy - It really is!
* Something about it feels decadent, I think it's the easy-click page turn for me!

The first book I read on it was "Exquisite Corpse" by Poppy Z Brite. It was touted as a really disgusting and gross book by a lot of folks on the Kindle forums, so I of COURSE had to read it. It was about 2 Gay cannibalistic necrophiliacs. Parts of it were, indeed, disgusting but overall it was a good read. The only caveat is that that particular book was in DIRE need of a proofreader. It had a bunch of pretty distracting misspellings or grammatical errors that appeared to be a result of the transfer process that Amazon uses.
I did find out that if you complain to them about it that they will refund the price of the book to you

Anyone checked out the sharing program yet? I want to SHARE some books!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #23
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I love my Kindle so much! Especially for those 800 page tomes I am fond of. I am currently reading Five Smooth Stones. I used it for The Passage too. I also use it for things I know I don't want to own, but am curious about.

I was thinking about getting a cover with a built in light, but Medusa said she'd read that they can crack the front! I do think it would be nice if they were backlit, but I understand they are hard on your eyes and the battery life sucks.

There is a sharing program available now!
I use it for these types of books too!

Where can we find the sharing program?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Anyone checked out the sharing program yet? I want to SHARE some books!
oh good grief! If y'all start sharing books, I'll NEVER see her!
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #25
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
oh good grief! If y'all start sharing books, I'll NEVER see her!
There's a biggo article about it on Amazon - Looks like only certain books are available for sharing (It's up to the publisher). I kinda like the idea of being able to loan it out to save someone else a few $$.

From what I've read, you can loan books out only 1 time for a period of 2 weeks!

And Goof - Think of the $$ saved! LOL!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #26
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
You mean we'd be able to buy groceries again?
The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #27
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Quote:
There's a biggo article about it on Amazon - Looks like only certain books are available for sharing (It's up to the publisher). I kinda like the idea of being able to loan it out to save someone else a few $$.

From what I've read, you can loan books out only 1 time for a period of 2 weeks!

OOOOhhhhh!! I could be a polylibrarian!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #28
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
You can give me the iPad. I'll master it and send it back to you. Promise.
i know this is not the right thread, but i did alot of research before i purchased the kindle. i liked it cause it comes from amazon.

the Ipad has so much more to it. i use it for internet, games. while i travel. i know theres so much more i can do, i just lack the patience
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #29
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Please.

If you find some place with "free" books that aren't free on Amazon, do know that you are probably at a piracy web site.

It's not okay to support them. They are not the ones who wept over plots that wouldn't move, characters who wouldn't act right. They didn't stay up late and get up early in order to write one more page before their 40 hr a week job.

All they did was rip off those of us who did the work.

My publisher (and others) release free reads a lot. I think there is an app that will alert you to those books. I know one of Marilu Mann's is up as a free read. It's a M/M paranormal short called Changing Perspective.

As someone who truly loves books, I was surprised as to hwo easy it was for me to convert to an e-reader. I love the idea of being able to move my entire library in my purse though.

A great website for e reader comparisons is http://www.dearauthor.com. Jane L really goes into detail.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #30
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

In fact, I just got my daily update from Dear Author. Here's an article on digital lending.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #31
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Please.

If you find some place with "free" books that aren't free on Amazon, do know that you are probably at a piracy web site.

It's not okay to support them. They are not the ones who wept over plots that wouldn't move, characters who wouldn't act right. They didn't stay up late and get up early in order to write one more page before their 40 hr a week job.

All they did was rip off those of us who did the work.

My publisher (and others) release free reads a lot. I think there is an app that will alert you to those books. I know one of Marilu Mann's is up as a free read. It's a M/M paranormal short called Changing Perspective.

As someone who truly loves books, I was surprised as to hwo easy it was for me to convert to an e-reader. I love the idea of being able to move my entire library in my purse though.

A great website for e reader comparisons is http://www.dearauthor.com. Jane L really goes into detail.
Thanks for the head's up on piracy! Is Amazon the only site that has legit free books?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #32
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush View Post
Thanks for the head's up on piracy! Is Amazon the only site that has legit free books?
Most legit stores have them but it's the ones where everything is free that are suspect.

It's like someone copying art and giving it away for free. Makes me a bit wenchy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #33
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Quote:
You mean we'd be able to buy groceries again?
Now, I never said that!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #34
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Now, I never said that!
He's always thinking of his stomach.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #35
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Quote:
Now, I never said that!
Oh no?

Quote:
Dear DF,
Sounds good!
BTW, I spent the grocery money on ebooks.

regretfully,
bgf
care to try again?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #36
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_tc_sc_2_0?rh=n:154606011,p_74:0-0&pf_rd_r=0WHK5PR7BPPF03H51GGK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0D ER&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=free&pf_rd_p=1278455102&pf_ rd_s=structured-results-2&qid=1294206488&sr=1-2-tc"]Some free books on Kindle. [/ame]
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #37
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
It's broken
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #38
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
It's broken

It worked for meeeeeeeeeeee.

Must be it doesn't like boys who think money is for groceries instead of books.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #39
Puplove

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,216 Times in 705 Posts
Puplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I love book stores and I love the feel of turning pages when reading. More than that, I love my Kindle. (I still go into book stores, enjoy the smells, check out new and old books to see what I want to buy in Kindle version. At the airport, now I look through the book selections at the gift shop and download those that are interesting instead of doing what I used to do: buy them, then when I finished, give to flight attendants or hotel housekeepers so I don't have to carry them home.)

It's kind of weird not seeing what page number you're on and pushing a button to turn a page, but the Kindle isn't trying to mimic a book so much as add a whole new dimension to the reading experience. And I think the screen is a whole lot easier on the eyes and more glare-free than the iPad.

I got mine for christmas last year, and there are still a few paperback books I bought before that are sitting on the shelf waiting for me to open them and read them. Instead, I look at them from across the room, turn on my whispernet and buy a Kindle copy because it's easier and more fun (and powerful somehow) than walking all the way across the room to pick up that book.

When I got stranded at a shelter during those awful floods in Nashville last year (I was traveling for work), I piled up the blankets they gave me, sat on them, leaned on the wall of the high school gym and read for about 18 hours while people around me tried to sleep, complained about the rock hard floor that was their bed, bitched about having nothing to do and how long they were there...or whatever they did, I didn't notice too much because I was happily in another world with a library - even though my luggage was somewhere-who-knows-where between the hotel and the river.

And, I can carry hundreds of books with me everywhere I go, just in case I have some waiting time.

From now on, when Blush and I have femme nights, they will consist of us sitting on the couch reading from our Kindles. We can take a break and text each other once in a while.

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "...Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Puplove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Puplove For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #40
Puplove

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,216 Times in 705 Posts
Puplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST ReputationPuplove Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Oh yeah, Duraflame logs are so much easier than kindling. Don't tell Jack I said that though.

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "...Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Puplove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puplove For This Useful Post:

Tags
ebook, kindle