Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #81
InsatiableHeart

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
what an amazing thing love is

InsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST ReputationInsatiableHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
A is for Apple, B is for Boy... a gendered term is right in the beginning of the ABCs, but that is not the point I'm trying to prove, it just happened to pop into my head.

When you address your class, do you say "alright boys and girls, it's time for snack"? Are boy's cubbies and coathooks delineated by nametags with trucks and frogs on them, while the girls' tags have butterflies and flowers? Do any of your students have "boyfriends" or "girlfriends"? I think gender and its associated roles are present in your classroom whether you know it or not. You are a teacher, and what you teach is very important to youngsters (i commend you for being a teacher, it is a difficult and absolutely necessary job). I remember my 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Love, she taught our class about diabetes because we were curious about why she needed to use that plastic box on her finger every day. Treating it as something normal that she did was enough to de-mystify it for us, help us accept it, and educate us about something that we could have viewed as scary (blood = scary for some people). Along those lines, I absolutely think teachers should validate all genders while teaching genderless concepts such as mathematics and language.

As a side note, all language (with the exception of english) is gendered. Crazy!

You are right, it doesn't matter what gender anyone is, but that's a concept that needs to be taught.

Actually I address my class as students or children. I have never been one to point out the differences and not for any politically correct or incorrect reason but, just because that is what they are. I teach at a private school and no there are not little trucks or butterflies at the coat hooks. They do although have their names above them, so they can locate them by name. I am not saying that every teacher is like I am, of course they are not but, I do feel that parents are relying too much on teachers to educate their children basic manners but, that is getting into another discussion lol.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #82
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyDoll View Post

Now, one thing that I am hopeful about-if parents are sending their children to this school, then surely, they are teaching the proper values at home to support the lessons learned at the school.

Thank you for expressing this. My sentiments exactly.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #83
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I think the gender neutral school is a great idea.
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #84
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
Smooches,
Keri
Great, what is it? I mean, when it's not just an idea. (This isn't just to Keri.)

What does this kindergarten look like?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #85
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
Smooches,
Keri
I agree I think it is as well.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #86
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
Great, what is it? I mean, when it's not just an idea. (This isn't just to Keri.)

What does this kindergarten look like?
That's a valid question. Hopefully they publish more photos of it, or perhaps a report in an education journal or something. I'd enjoy reading that.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #87
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

the definition for
Neutral - not aligned with or supporting any side or position in a controversy.

gender neutral sounds pretty good to me.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #88
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:
Single - gave up the farce

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Really now? I would say that it's the fundamental question to be answered in the context of this thread. It's stepping back and questioning your assumptions.
Nah.... I'll leave that to you.

I'm too busy questioning the wisdom of this gender neutral business.

In the spirit of gender and cultural neutrality, perhaps the school officials could have the kids wear their hair like this ---->
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #89
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Nah.... I'll leave that to you.

I'm too busy questioning the wisdom of this gender neutral business.

In the spirit of gender and cultural neutrality, perhaps the school officials could have the kids wear their hair like this ---->

I'm sorry that you think this topic is so goofy that you choose to invalidate it by making a mockery of it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #90
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm only insulted if you sincerely thought that I meant female toy soldiers were the full solution. I'll gladly receive your remarks as condescension. >:-)

But, at what point can we march the female toy soldiers in? You speak in ideals. Wonderful. Give me something concrete that backs up your flowery language. What would you DO?
Tapu really, and in keeping with the theme, that sounds like a homework assignment. I'll pass on the directive....
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #91
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
I'm sorry that you think this topic is so goofy that you choose to invalidate it by making a mockery of it.
I'm sorry you see it as a mockery. But, to be precise, I said the idea of gender neutral classrooms is goofy.

I don't want to live in a gender neutral world. I just want there to be a multiplicity of gender expression that isn't hierarchical, sexist, or falsely dualistic.

I think we've pretty much exhausted our exchange at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #92
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Quote:
I'm sorry you see it as a mockery. But, to be precise, I said the idea of gender neutral classrooms is goofy.

I don't want to live in a gender neutral world. I just want there to be a multiplicity of gender expression that isn't hierarchical, sexist, or falsely dualistic.

I think we've pretty much exhausted our exchange at this point.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but thank you for sharing your outlook and opinions. It's good to have that perspective.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #93
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
That's interesting... what exactly is "gender-neutral," how is it achieved, maintained? Does it validate multiple gender experiences while reducing stereotypes or does it erase/minimize/police gender? Is it liberating or stifling?
Exactly....

Your post conjures memories of my days as a Catholic School student. It was stifling as a female and as a butchling. Talk about being erased, minimized and gender policed. YIKES ! ! ! !

I remember perceiving the nuns as sexless and genderless (they wore habits at the time). The experience left me with a sense of barrenness and sterility that is vivid, even now.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #94
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Tapu really, and in keeping with the theme, that sounds like a homework assignment. I'll pass on the directive....
So... nothing. It gets a lot harder when you're talking about real things instead of nebulous constructs like ideas. I don't think of the practical application and implementation as the homework, exactly. More the groundwork. That's how the higher level idea is informed, refined, and possibly achieved.

Otherwise, it's like politics. Many, many ways to sound great while saying nothing.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #95
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Quote:
Exactly....

Your post conjures memories of my days as a Catholic School student. It was stifling as a female and as a butchling. Talk about being erased, minimized and gender policed. YIKES ! ! ! !

I remember perceiving the nuns as sexless and genderless (they wore habits at the time). The experience left me with a sense of barrenness and sterility that is vivid, even now.

Sounds like you're bailing on us! >:-(
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #96
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
So... nothing. It gets a lot harder when you're talking about real things instead of nebulous constructs like ideas. I don't think of the practical application and implementation as the homework, exactly. More the groundwork. That's how the higher level idea is informed, refined, and possibly achieved.

Otherwise, it's like politics. Many, many ways to sound great while saying nothing.
But, I've perfected the art of "sounding great" while "saying nothing". I'm not about to give that up now over gender neutral classrooms. A new pork pie hat, maybe, but gender neutrality, never. (Even though s/he looks a little gender neutral, but never mind about that, use your imagination.)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #97
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Sounds like you're bailing on us! >:-(
I never bail, I wait.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #98
cane

How Do You Identify?:
male identified butch
Relationship Status:
Married

cane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Either it's new and thus an experiment; or, it's established enough to support your claims about its value to more levels. Sounds like it's still experimental to me (1 year) and so who knows what its relationship will be to anything else.
Our national curriculum support its value, and that is established and not experimental. and furthermore, we have more pre-schools like that one. The idea as a whole isn't a new one in Sweden.

cane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #99
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I suspect it would only take one catastrophe (natural or man-made) to cause liberal societies to revert back to caveman dynamics in a wink.
Just reading this thread, and not sure exactly what I think yet...but this sentence stuck in my head.

When my son was in elementary school, we attended a school carnival...complete with games, bouncie houses and a gigantic inflatable slide about 2 stories tall.

There were hundreds of kids and their parents, all roaming around the play fields, eating, drinking, talking, playing.

Suddenly, there was the sound of many children all screaming.

Evidently, the inflatable slide was poorly designed...with a stairway going up only one side. The people managing the slide had evidently not staked it down properly, and had also allowed children to fill the stairway rather than go up a few at a time.

I, and a few hundred parents, looked up to see the 2 story slide rolling over slowly...with the children ready to be pinned underneath.

Without an alarm, a sound, or anyone organizing anything...we all simply reacted...limbic brain...no training...just instinct.

About 10% of the adults froze in place. The other 90% dropped whatever was in their hands - food, drinks, purses - and ran towards the tipping slide.

Without exception, every male bodied person ran to the slide, braced themselves, lifted their arms and held the slide up off the children.

Without exception, every female bodied person ran underneath the mens' arms, and started grabbing children, pulling them away from the slide, setting them down just past the mens' legs and saying "Run!"

By the time the children were all safe, and the slide started to roll back into an upright position, there was a fair amount of laughter....when we all realized that every woman had planted her ass against the crotch of the man behind her to brace herself in a crouch....the only way to reach the kids.

I'm an independent, tough woman who has always supported herself...and I always felt like gender roles were taught. But ever since that day....I've wondered.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #100
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
Just reading this thread, and not sure exactly what I think yet...but this sentence stuck in my head.

When my son was in elementary school, we attended a school carnival...complete with games, bouncie houses and a gigantic inflatable slide about 2 stories tall.

There were hundreds of kids and their parents, all roaming around the play fields, eating, drinking, talking, playing.

Suddenly, there was the sound of many children all screaming.

Evidently, the inflatable slide was poorly designed...with a stairway going up only one side. The people managing the slide had evidently not staked it down properly, and had also allowed children to fill the stairway rather than go up a few at a time.

I, and a few hundred parents, all looked up at the same time...to see the 2 story slide rolling over slowly...with the children ready to be pinned underneath.

Without an alarm, a sound, or anyone organizing anything...we all simply reacted...limbic brain...no training...just instinct.

About 10% of the adults froze in place. The other 90% dropped whatever was in their hands - food, drinks, purses - and ran towards the tipping slide.

Without exception, every male bodied person ran to the slide, braced themselves, lifted their arms and held the slide up off the children.

Without exception, every female bodied person ran underneath the mens' arms, and started grabbing children, pulling them away from the slide, setting them down just past the mens' legs and saying "Run!"

By the time the children were all safe, and the slide started to roll back into an upright position, there was a fair amount of laughter....when we all realized that every woman had planted her ass against the crotch of the man behind her to brace herself in a crouch....the only way to reach the kids.

I'm an independent, tough woman who has always supported herself...and I always felt like gender roles were taught. But ever since that day....I've wondered.
That is a good point and I still think that gender roles are taught. It is programmed deep inside of our subconscious. I am very interested in seeing what these kids are like a few years down the road without or with a limited amount of this sort of programming.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post: