Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,099 Times in 8,593 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Saw bits of the Essence Festival of Culture on YouTube. It took place last weekend in New Orleans and it was nice seeing an older Janet Jackson who's moving more slowly these days. I also caught Debbie Allen and her dancers doing the "gitchy-gitchy yayayaya" with Patti LaBelle. They turned it out. Looks like fun was had by all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZoIq3RMUGo
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 04:02 PM   #1082
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,539 Times in 10,209 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

so......after all the hoopla and being so late to even look. I decided to try the first episode to see if it even was appealing. I'm not one to watch this sort of thing. But...just like that I got sucked in..

Stranger Things

( I would have never expected it, at all)

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #1083
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Started watching Body Brokers on HBO. It's about fraudulent "wellness" centers/clinics for drug additcts. It caught my eye because Michael K. Willliams and Melissa Leo are in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXd754EFfew

This also caught my attention because I worked with an art director who opened one of these clinics in Southern California and I couldn't figure out why. Well, I knew why ($$$) but I didn't know how. I should have known it was a government-funded operation because the people in her "clinic" clearly couldn't afford the prices she charged. Well this movie explains it all.

It delves too deeply into the drug culture for me to recommend. I just don't like seeing people shoot up nor snort drugs. But the storyline and some of the acting are worth the price of admission if you can stomach the indulgence.

There were twists and turns I wasn’t expecting and I was really taken with Jack Kilner’s acting.

It’s nothing I’d watch again, but for me it was worth watching once.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:38 AM   #1084
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Received a free viewing of the EPIX channel this weekend.

Watched season 1 of The Godfather of Harlem with Forest Whitaker. It’s the story of Bumpy Johnson, a real-life dope king, during the civil rights movement in the 1960s. The acting is superb but many of the storylines will probably be traumatic for many. Especially BIPOC women. Vivid scenes of rape, drug indulgence, murder. I’m always annoyed when the rape scene of a woman is shown as titillating and arousing. Makes me want to slap someone.

Would love to see the same story told by someone like Ava DuVernay with an emphasis on the relationship between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Malcolm X or the relationship between drugs and politics (something few are willing to fully explore). There’s so much to examine during that time period.

I will speed through season 2 today to see what happens but I’m not recommending it.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:35 AM   #1085
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
Received a free viewing of the EPIX channel this weekend.

Watched season 1 of The Godfather of Harlem with Forest Whitaker. It’s the story of Bumpy Johnson, a real-life dope king, during the civil rights movement in the 1960s. The acting is superb but many of the storylines will probably be traumatic for many. Especially BIPOC women. Vivid scenes of rape, drug indulgence, murder. I’m always annoyed when the rape scene of a woman is shown as titillating and arousing. Makes me want to slap someone.

Would love to see the same story told by someone like Ava DuVernay with an emphasis on the relationship between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Malcolm X or the relationship between drugs and politics (something few are willing to fully explore). There’s so much to examine during that time period.

I will speed through season 2 today to see what happens but I’m not recommending it.
Yesterday I binged season 2 of The Godfather of Harlem and it was better than season 1.

Pros:
  • Superb acting by Forest Whitaker, Nigel Thatch, Giancarlo Esposito, Antoinette Crowe-Legacy, Vincent D'Onofrio, and and most character actors. (D'Onofrio acting borders on a caricature of The Chin, but his timing is so good that he's able to pull if off).
  • Informative and historically accurate on political and cultural issues I'm familiar with.
  • Good blending of old news reels with the dramatic acting
  • Interesting and complex relationships between men
Cons:
  • Triggers galore
  • Included titillating and arousing images as a woman is sexually assaulted, but the same context isn't placed on the men who are raped. This is a pet peeve of mine, but it's worth mentioning.
  • Colorism is shown and briefly addressed but isn't explore in any meaningful way.
  • Obscene gun violence
  • Many of the relationships between women were disappointing, dishonest and distrustful.

Glad I watched it but also glad I didn't pay for it.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:50 AM   #1086
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Watched some episodes of the series You Can’t Ask That, Canada, season one, on Kanopy.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lQTdxHEMg

Questions like: What are the perks to being a wheelchair user? Do you skip lines? Can you have sex with another?

It was insightful, funny, and touching.

Highly recommend.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:56 AM   #1087
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Watched some episodes of the series You Can’t Ask That, Canada, season one, on Kanopy.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lQTdxHEMg

Questions like: What are the perks to being a wheelchair user? Do you skip lines? Can you have sex with another?

It was insightful, funny, and touching.

Highly recommend.
You Can't Ask That is a documentary series that confronts prejudices and breaks down taboos in our society in an authentic and relatable way.

More episodes can be found here.

https://www.ami.ca/category/2917/season
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #1088
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Saw an old episode of Night Gallery with Diane Keaton. She was a seemingly clueless ingenue working for a bitter man who’s restricted to his bed. It was better than expected.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #1089
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Just finished the latest episode of P Valley. So good but it’s just as frustrating.

The most interesting, complex and layered relationships are among men in a show about female sex workers. The men have more shades of gray to their wants, desires, faults. The women don’t get the same treatment—they’re good or bad, angel or devil, whore or madonna.

I’m watching it with someone in Chapel Hill. It’ll be good to get her take on the latest episode.

Also watched a bit of John Wick. It’s always fun to see Keanu in action.
The Following User Says Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #1090
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Watched some episodes of Love on The Spectrum on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86TrUPszc9Y

It’s no surprise that people on the spectrum face the same obstacles others face when dating. It’s enlightening watching them navigate the dating scene.

I’m enjoying it.

Also watched The Cross Connection with Tiffany Cross on Sling. This week’s program was a reminder to me to visit my local AME church. I need to quit putting it off.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:04 AM   #1091
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Watched another good episode P Valley.

The outstanding performances are by Brandee Evans (as Mercedes Woodbine, a tough veteran strippe) and Nicco Annan (as Uncle Clifford Sayles). Most of the acting is good, but these two are the most convincing to me.

This Starz TV show is shunned the same as The Wire when it came out. The Wire was ignored and never received an Emmy… and like The Wire, folk will talk about P Valley 20 years from now about how it’s a critique on American capitalism and politics, etc.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #1092
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Have been watching Jeopardy! with Alex Trebek on Pluto.tv. Jeopardy has its own channel on Pluto showing back-to-back episodes that are fun to watch. I saw the first episode with Trebek as host. It's been interesting watching how the show has changed over the years.

TheGrio now has its own channel on Pluto.tv. Have seen a couple good programs and some real losers, too. According to news sources, TheGrio has "merged" formats with BNC, but it looks like they've canceled all the BNC news programs (!) and are just throwing anything on the air.

Maybe TheGrio needs some time to get things together, but this "merger" reminds me of the changes made to BET when they were once a good source for news (with some of the country's top journalists) and not just a booty-shaking entertainment company. Not that there's anything wrong with shaking a booty or making a buck, but more was needed and expected from Robert Johnson and Viacom when it came to BET.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #1093
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Have been watching Jeopardy! with Alex Trebek on Pluto.tv. Jeopardy has its own channel on Pluto showing back-to-back episodes that are fun to watch. I saw the first episode with Trebek as host. It's been interesting watching how the show has changed over the years.

TheGrio now has its own channel on Pluto.tv. Have seen a couple good programs and some real losers, too. According to news sources, TheGrio has "merged" formats with BNC, but it looks like they've canceled all the BNC news programs (!) and are just throwing anything on the air.

Maybe TheGrio needs some time to get things together, but this "merger" reminds me of the changes made to BET when they were once a good source for news (with some of the country's top journalists) and not just a booty-shaking entertainment company. Not that there's anything wrong with shaking a booty or making a buck, but more was needed and expected from Robert Johnson and Viacom when it came to BET.

I like Pluto as well. I've been watching the old gothic soap opera, Dark Shadows since Spring. There are like five bazillion seasons and episodes so there is plenty to binge on for at least a year I'm thinking. I watch a couple episodes most days, they're only 20ish minutes long. At first it was pretty brutal to watch LoL the filming, the acting, the writing - all ridiculous but I remembered loving it as a kid so I stuck with it to see why and now I'm into season 9 and it's really good. It just took everyone a little while to find their niche and for the characters to grow.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #1094
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
I like Pluto as well. I've been watching the old gothic soap opera, Dark Shadows since Spring. There are like five bazillion seasons and episodes so there is plenty to binge on for at least a year I'm thinking. I watch a couple episodes most days, they're only 20ish minutes long. At first it was pretty brutal to watch LoL the filming, the acting, the writing - all ridiculous but I remembered loving it as a kid so I stuck with it to see why and now I'm into season 9 and it's really good. It just took everyone a little while to find their niche and for the characters to grow.
I used to rush home from school to catch Barnabas and Angelique (sp?) on Dark Shadows. It was so good and different than anything I watched back then. I caught a couple episodes recently on Pluto and cringed a bit too, but was moved by the memory of how important it used to be to me. How much joy I got out of watching it. I wasn’t even in high school and was lucky not to have television restrictions. I still stop for awhile when I come across it on Pluto.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:05 AM   #1095
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Started season 3 of Locke and Key, and plan to watch The Sandman next (Netflix)
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #1096
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Watched Evil By Design: Exposing Peter Nygard on STARZ.

It's an account of the women who where preyed on by Peter Nygard and survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopUxfvZy4k

It's a good and thorough documentary, but it's nothing I'd watch again. I'm on the fence when it comes to recommending it because the man is vile.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:35 PM   #1097
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I watched season 4 of Glow Up on Netflix. Love!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 02:08 AM   #1098
Jedi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
they are my world

Thanked 1,763 Times in 549 Posts
Jedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST Reputation

Old 08-31-2022, 05:48 AM   #1099
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Good Grief, New Zealand series

Good Grief, New Zealand series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBen4Sq36zY

From YouTube: Two very different sisters inherit a funeral home and its eccentric employees. Can they figure out their lives while staring death in the face?

Found this on Sling TV. It's not in the same league as Six Feet Under, but I'm enjoying it.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #1100
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default The Good Fight

I started watching the CBS series, The Good Fight again. I stopped watching because it took place during (and focused on) President Trump's administration. I've started watching it again because, with space and time, it's more palatable and the acting is good and fun.

CBS is showing the first 5 seasons on Pluto TV hoping people will sign up to watch the final season on Paramount Plus. I already have it at a crazy discounted price so I'll catch it there.