Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default My Dad

Hi, Folks.

I wasn't quite sure where to put this.

Last Thursday (3/25/10), I wrote on the "What made you sad today" thread about my Dad being diagnosed with Stage 3 Lung Cancer.

Unfortunately, by the next morning he was in ICU on a respirator.

Yesterday, we had to take him off of life support as the tumors were so large in his lungs that they could not get rid of the infection to even look at being able to treat the cancer.

It is amazing how one can go from being a very healthy person who exercised everyday, played golf nonstop (in the winter he played "freezing fridays" :-), and ate right, to having an increasingly bad cough for about 5 weeks, get a cancer diagnose, and then die within 8 days. How the heck does not happen?

The doctors were amazed by how aggressive the cancer was.

And he hadn't smoke in 24 years.

Anyway, I wanted to post an update as after that first post I received PMs and reps of support. Thank you all.

-A

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Awww.. dude. Sorry to hear this. Your father, you and your family with be in my prayers.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
sweetfemme247

How Do You Identify?:
fem
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme, she, her, baby, sweetie
Relationship Status:
holding my heart close and putting back up a wall

sweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputation

I am very sorry to hear about that, My prayers are with you and your family.

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.
Jim Rohn
sweetfemme247 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetfemme247 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

I am sorry for your loss, DapperButch. You and your family are in my thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
dear dapperbutch,

my deepest condolences to you and your loved ones during this time of great loss.

belle
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a tragedy!! This actually happened to a friend of mine who had never smoked in his life! Cancer is ugly! What a complete shock this must have been for you!
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

I'm so sorry to read this update and extremely sad and sudden turn of events with regards to your Dad...

I can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now.
__

Peace and love to your heart and your family - and may wonderful memories bring you ALL comfort in the days ahead...

Sincerely,
WILDCAT

Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Kimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper,

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. Cancer is such an ugly thing and so incredibly unpredictable.

My condolence to you and your family.

Take care of yourself.

Kimbo
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I am very sorry to hear this Dapper. All my best wishes to you and your family.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Hey A... so sorry to hear this. I knew things were bad but I'm shocked to hear how fast things progressed... my heart goes out to you and your family big time my friend.

Peace,
Metro
The Following User Says Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Dapper and your family}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Losing a parent can be such a shock, the more so if he was always very healthy. Please try to take good care of yourself right now, okay?
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

My condolences to you and your family, Dapper. I just went through a similar experience. We took my step dad of 49 years off of life support at 6pm on Monday 3/29 and he passed away in little over 6 and 1/2 hours, at 12:45am. I was just glad that it was fast, and he didn't appear to suffer at all during the process.

I know how fast ones health can decline, and I totally feel for you.

Be sure to take care of yourself through all of this!!!!

T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thanks

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded with support on this thread and through reps.

The toughest will be for my mom who has been with him since she was 15 years old. 52 years together and 45 years of marriage (she waited until he went through the Navy and college before marrying). They did everything together (except golf!), so this will be tough for her. Fortunately she is close to one of her neighbors and is connected to her church, as well, so that will be helpful.

My mom was the traditional homemaker who has never even paid a bill before, so there will be some new things that she will need to learn. I guess they figured that there was time for him to show her how he handled their finances because they were both so healthy.

I am glad that I live close by so I can help her with all of this stuff. She is a smart woman, so she should be ok. She is just scared since she went from living with her mother to marrying my father; she has never lived alone.

Thanks again, friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D View Post

My condolences to you and your family, Dapper. I just went through a similar experience. We took my step dad of 49 years off of life support at 6pm on Monday 3/29 and he passed away in little over 6 and 1/2 hours, at 12:45am. I was just glad that it was fast, and he didn't appear to suffer at all during the process.

I know how fast ones health can decline, and I totally feel for you.

Be sure to take care of yourself through all of this!!!!

I am so very sorry for your recent loss, as well. I hope those 6.5 hours weren't too difficult. My father lasted only 28 minutes, and I found that to be a blessing.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

We are so sorry Dapper, our prayers go out to you and your Mom.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

very sorry to hear this sad news. will be praying for you and your family
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

I'm really sorry Dapper.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
Odarlin

How Do You Identify?:
Undine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sexy
Relationship Status:
Finding my immortal soul one giggle at a time.

Odarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to all

My deepest condolances Dapper.
My heart goes out to you and your family.... your Mom.
Odarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Odarlin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper,

I am so very sorry to learn of this news. I am lifting all of your family up in prayer. I am glad you are there for your Mom.

Love,
Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post: