Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #141
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Rockin,

I think it's because I am usually hot & sweaty. I actually was told to stop pricking my finger since I was within normal limits of my bloodwork. I feel so uncomfi about it. Having OCD it just another ritual I have had to take on, if that makes sense.

I am glad we can talk about this here.

Andrew my friend,we all are ocd about somthing,beleave me I have a fue things that drive my group at work nuts about.I have this thing about pick up and clean up after yourself no matter what u r doing in "my'kitchen at work...I have been dubed Mr.Clean buy the folks there..u can bet I can clean up a mess so fast its like a tornado going threw.Its not only a chef thing but the right thing to do.
Today my biggie has been the work outs im doing three times a week,they go more or less this way..15-20 minits of basket ball to get some heart rate going is good for the reapiratinon too as it brings on a good sweat,then walk a bit to chill then when ready ..hit the stair stepper for 50 then go to the b-flex and do four upper body routines..if u r not totaly winded by now..drink some water and take 5...then 50 more steps on the steper..then I do three 15 each of diffrent things with 15 pound weights..and then lay back on the bench and give me @ 5 at the time leg raised to the chest with knees.YES,by then I am..I am totaly done..when I am able take a walk around the yard with the fur kids a couple of times to come dome to a reasonable heart rate.Now, someone tell me what I dont feel this is enough,or am I being un reasonable?Getting older is a bi8*%h.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #142
WhiteTigress

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, somewhat high maintenance
Preferred Pronoun?:
She. There should be no doubt!

WhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST Reputation

As for good ways to get the blood for testing, I use the One Touch Ultra lancet device that came with my meter, and I use the One Touch lancets. The way that I get my draws is from the rounded part of my palm, opposite from the thumb side. When you use this area, you have to use the clear cap for the lancing device, rather than the blue one. This way you can actually press the device into the palm, and it causes the blood to pool up in that "dimpled up" part of your skin, prior to releasing the lancet..

If that doesn't always get a large enough droplet, I can go ahead and re-press the device back into the area around the prick mark, and it usually will "milk-up" enough blood that way. If you are trying this, remember NOT to retract the lancet, because it's not going to poke you again. You don't want to re-stick yourself. If that still doesn't work the first time, you could always give yourself a mini palm massage prior to lancing, and that will help stimulate good blood flow into the palm. And Andrew, NEVER injure your feet or toes. You can end up losing them.

As for pasta, try the Dreamfields, because it's a little higher in fiber, so you get fewer net carbs.

WT

Last edited by WhiteTigress; 04-29-2011 at 10:42 PM.
WhiteTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTigress For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #143
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile low carb and delicious!

http://www.house-foods.com/tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #144
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Question

What is the purpose of the daily blood draws? Looking at this from the perspective of someone who is not on insulin. I am not sure of how to explain this to the insurance company.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #145
WhiteTigress

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, somewhat high maintenance
Preferred Pronoun?:
She. There should be no doubt!

WhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

What is the purpose of the daily blood draws? Looking at this from the perspective of someone who is not on insulin. I am not sure of how to explain this to the insurance company.
I was instructed to test 5 times per day. Upon rising, 2-hours after breakfast, just before lunch, 2-hours after lunch, just before dinner, and 2-hours after dinner. This was more of an indicator if I was compliant with my diet and oral medications. The goal was to never be over 110, and preferably not over 100. When my readings were in line with this, I was usually losing weight, and had good A1c readings, too.

Insurance companies should understand that it's standard practice for diabetics to do daily testing, and that it's NOT just for insulin users.

WT
WhiteTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTigress For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #146
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I'm on oral meds, not insulin either...and White Tigress is totally correct. I've been stable so long that I'm only supposed to do my fasting reading in the morning, and then 2 hours after (some) meal just to monitor how I'm doing.

Spikes in blood sugar, or lows, can be a sign that your condition is worsening, or that you need adjustments to your meds, or that something is wrong in your diet.

Your A1c test is important, but it only shows a 3 month average of your readings. It's the daily spikes and lows that can teach you how your own body responds to certain foods, or if an infection is flaring up, you're not getting enough rest....all manner of things.

Your insurance company should never fight you on monitoring supplies....it can prevent much more expensive problems later on.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #147
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Hey Andrew,

You don't have to explain it to your insurance company. All you have to do is tell your Dr the grief they are giving you and he will submit a form to them telling them that this is his/her direction and why, problem solved. Don't try to haggle with them, have your Dr do it.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #148
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

OK folks im shure in a fix now,over the last fue months I have watched my diet,lost weight,feel better.Then I go to the doc yester day and had another blood test done and she just called ..I now have full blown diabetis my test was 6.6..crap im so pissed I can spit nails.I dont get this this..I mean I know ppl get this mess but donet really know what it is or why its is.Dr.J said for me to stop all carbs for the forseeable future.I could have sworn she said I wasnt makeing insulin ..I dont know im really very confused right now,sorry for the ramblings..im heading to the pool hall ..grrrrr.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #149
intrigue_in916

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine Lesbian Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
just dont refer to me as a 'YOU PEOPLE' or say'HEY YOU' to me
Relationship Status:
single

intrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
Thank you for posting about stevia! Not only is it safe for diabetics, I've found that it seems to help keep my numbers stable.

Before being diagnosed I was drinking an average of 3 cokes a day...switched to diet coke, which certainly helps but when I instead make a pitcher of ice tea with stevia and have that instead my numbers are better than when I'm drinking the diet soda. Bizarre, since there's no sugar involved in either one...but the stevia seems to be a positive thing for me.

I didn't know about Sobe Lifewater using stevia as a sweetener...thanks for that info Nikki! That gives me a better choice to grab when we're out running around.
Just in case FYI, Cafeine raises the b/s, and soda, as much as I love my diet Pepsi is bad for the kidneys. i've been diagnosed with type 2 for 19 yrs.

Intriguinglyours
intrigue_in916 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to intrigue_in916 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #150
intrigue_in916

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine Lesbian Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
just dont refer to me as a 'YOU PEOPLE' or say'HEY YOU' to me
Relationship Status:
single

intrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomnNC View Post
Hey Andrew,

You don't have to explain it to your insurance company. All you have to do is tell your Dr the grief they are giving you and he will submit a form to them telling them that this is his/her direction and why, problem solved. Don't try to haggle with them, have your Dr do it.
It really is important for those of us who are non insulin dependant diabetics to monitor our blood sugars daily, to keep a record, and to take it with you when you go to see your Dr.

Intriguinglyours
intrigue_in916 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intrigue_in916 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #151
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Hi Andrew,how are ya?? Since I got my meeter ive been testing twice a day four times a week as directed by my doc.Before I started testing I had no idea what or how my sugar was at any given time,now I can check to see where it is in relation to my diet and exersise,im not on any meds but this has made it possable to keep track of it all.At first I was testing at 101 to 104 now im testing at 85 to100,I now know what I can eat and when to eat or if I can have a snack,I also keep some non carb foods handy for when I just want to nibble on something.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #152
GeekBear

How Do You Identify?:
transgender menace
Preferred Pronoun?:
he, him, his
Relationship Status:
Married to the RyRy!

GeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST Reputation

hey everyone, geek here, I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I'd say howdy. I hope everyone is doing well. my partner and I just went to sign up for a gym membership today, which I am very very excited about. I've been slowly losing weight and my sugars are somewhat normal now unless I overdo it...I do have a sweet tooth. I'm trying to eat healthier and I'm happy about getting on an excerise schedule. can anyone recommend any good sugar free recipes for this sweet tooth of mine? does anyone do any kind of protein shakes at all, if so what so ya'll put in them? I'm not a big breakfast eater so I was thinking of just having a healthy shake in the mornings. I know that it's important to eat breakfast but my body tends to not like food in the morning. any ideas are welcomed and appreciated be well everyone!

GeekBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeekBear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #153
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Default Geekboi

Check in the checkout line at the grosery store,I always see something in a small papaerback book about diabetic deserts,the pics look yummy.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #154
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Just got diagnosed. Haven't gotten my meter yet. Have already done work exercising and dieting. Have pretty much eliminated sugar but still working on the carbs.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #155
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

I havent checked in in a long time either,just been doin my thing and trying to not over do any of the food,especaly when its something I want vs what I should eat.Today I pulled a big nono by haveing bowl of frosted mini wheats for breakfast,I should have got off my lazy butt and gone to the store for stuff I needed.I tested 3 hours later it was 190 then I tested a fue minits later it was 160.I called my doc hes said to come in just to be on the safe side,I was 120 and going down by time I got there.Good thing I went in cause this allergy ive been fighting really is a sinus infection,so I got meds to deal with that.The best thing today was I lost another pound...where I dont know but I will take it..
How is everyone doing,comeon folks let me hear from you"all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #156
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Just got diagnosed. Haven't gotten my meter yet. Have already done work exercising and dieting. Have pretty much eliminated sugar but still working on the carbs.
Arwen,get a meeter soon as u can,it has helped me alot in tracking my numbers so I would know what was working or not and what I needed to not eat.I was tested in Jan 2011 it wasnt till June 2011 that I had a second test wich was 6.6 up from 6.3.If I had a meeter sooner I would have not gotten to the higher count.I have a one touch Delica its really a good one for $20.00 its the test strips that are high about $60.00 for 100,I got mine threw disablity but you may beable to check with the diabetis assoication abut getting the things you need for less or maybe even free.I usely test somewhere betweeen under 100 up to 111,today was a big exception and my fault ..will not happen again,I test first thing in the morning when I get up only 3 times a week works well.Good luck if I can help let me know.Take care.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #157
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Hi everyone and welcome Arwen

It is a big transition when you hear that "diabetic" diagnosis. For me, it came about 9 or 10 years ago, and I went through so many different changes....depression, anger, acceptance, following the diet religiously, slacking off, trying to find some balance....it's a process for sure.

Honestly, living with Scoote I've gotten too slack...not testing, eating too much of the snack food that's in the cupboards and fridge. Not blaming her in any way....it's my illness and my responsibility, but it is harder to stay consistent when the tempting foods are around.

In the last month or so, I've gotten more on track (with occasional slips)....eating more veggies and lean protein and healthy fats, cutting down dramatically on carbs. It helps.

I agree with Rockin....get a meter as soon as possible and start testing. Different foods affect different diabetics differently...and only trial and error will show you what works for you. For instance, I can eat sweet potatoes with no problem, but white potatoes will spike me....even though the sweet potato tastes sweeter. I think it's the fiber that helps for me.

Eating "low glycemic" is tremendously helpful, and I'd recommend doing some reading about low and high glycemic foods. The low glycemic diet helps keep your blood sugar levels more even throughout the day. Simple sugars are the worst....white flour, white sugar, fruit juice, anything with high fructose corn syrup.

And keep coming back....there are a lot of us on the site that are diabetic, so you're in good company.

Hugs!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #158
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Today I tested 150 this morning but its going down as the day goes by,I have gotten in the old habit of not sleeping well at all so when im up on the puter or watching late nite tv I am prone to snack.Also in sick as a dog with a sinus infection with a cough included,I know the cough syrp has sugar in it even if it taste like boot polish.The doc gave me am Rx for antibotics but it reacted with some other meds I was takeing..so glad the drugest caught the prob before I picked it up,now wating for the doc to get the right Rx call to the drugest so I can take it.I feel ike crap on 3 hours of sleep but I have eaten the food im suposed to today so hopefuly my numbers will be better tomorrow.You all take care.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #159
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Today I tested 150 this morning but its going down as the day goes by,I have gotten in the old habit of not sleeping well at all so when im up on the puter or watching late nite tv I am prone to snack.Also in sick as a dog with a sinus infection with a cough included,I know the cough syrp has sugar in it even if it taste like boot polish.The doc gave me am Rx for antibotics but it reacted with some other meds I was takeing..so glad the drugest caught the prob before I picked it up,now wating for the doc to get the right Rx call to the drugest so I can take it.I feel ike crap on 3 hours of sleep but I have eaten the food im suposed to today so hopefuly my numbers will be better tomorrow.You all take care.
Don't worry Rockin....both lack of sleep and fighting an infection will make your numbers go up. Just keep eating like you're supposed to and get as much rest as you can. And keep monitoring...just in case.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #160
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
Don't worry Rockin....both lack of sleep and fighting an infection will make your numbers go up. Just keep eating like you're supposed to and get as much rest as you can. And keep monitoring...just in case.

Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks Jo.Ive tryed to take a nap but didnt sleep just got in the zone right before sleep,I will take rest anyway I can get it.I will be glad when the other med is hear cause I need the antibiotics to get rid of this dam sinus mess.nd yes on the daily testing.