Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation
Default Catholicism

Hi folks,

Are there any other Catholics out there? Of course there are issues of patriarchy and heterosexism in the Church itself, but what parts, if any, of Catholicism have you kept in your life and daily faith?

Belonging to a parish is hard for me as I'm queer and out. There are two parishes in town where I'd gladly belong if I could just take the plunge...

Another issue is taking the Eucharist. It's part of my tradition that I find very important, but there are no options besides taking the Blood of Christ for celiacs at present. If I belonged to a parish, there may be something I could do to work things out, but belonging to a parish also means being an out queer, and that's another story!

So here I am, trying to take the lessons of social justice, God's love and a devotion to Our Mother with me as I limp through faith... what's your story?

<3
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Me

My Catholocism is ingrained in me via culture.. Other than that I have some pretty harsh, blunt, direct opinions about Catholic Doctrine and the puppet master, most may know him as the pope
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I am a Roman Catholic. No surprise there, being that I come from a country where 95% of the population is Roman Catholic.

I do not subscribe to all of the Roman Catholic theology or ideology, but I have learned to mix some of the tradtions and beliefs into my own form of spiritualism, not religion.

My First Communion was also my last one.

There is a lot more, but to me religion is a bit personal.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I absolutely adore the Holy Mother. She is so beautiful! I love reading about her visitations and miracles. Yes, I attended Mass regularly when I lived close to a Catholic church. I accept the best of what all Religions have to offer.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisfawn View Post
Hi folks,

Are there any other Catholics out there? Of course there are issues of patriarchy and heterosexism in the Church itself, but what parts, if any, of Catholicism have you kept in your life and daily faith?

Belonging to a parish is hard for me as I'm queer and out. There are two parishes in town where I'd gladly belong if I could just take the plunge...

Another issue is taking the Eucharist. It's part of my tradition that I find very important, but there are no options besides taking the Blood of Christ for celiacs at present. If I belonged to a parish, there may be something I could do to work things out, but belonging to a parish also means being an out queer, and that's another story!

So here I am, trying to take the lessons of social justice, God's love and a devotion to Our Mother with me as I limp through faith... what's your story?

<3
I am a Roman Catholic. I don't subscribe to all of the church's teachings, past or present, but my faith is strongly Roman Catholic in belief, instinct and practice.

My Catholicism conveys itself in an unequivocal belief in original sin and a need for atonement; I am somewhat drawn towards Opus Dei. I also believe unreservedly in the existence of Satan and other demonic forces and my Catholicism is important to me in providing comfort against this unseen evil. I acknowledge that much of my belief system would be viewed as out-dated to many contemporary Catholics.

I do not take eucharist although I attend mass on a reasonably frequent basis. Sometimes I choose to attend the Soho Masses - http://www.sohomasses.com/ . These are masses aimed at LGBT people, their families and friends that are held in London twice-monthy. Unsurprisingly, these masses are not without controversy within the church but attending these is positive, reaffirming and uplifting for me.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisfawn View Post
Hi folks,

/snip

<3
I am a former Catholic for many reasons, some of which you alluded to. After my confirmation I consciously chose not to be a part of the Church or any organized religion. Of course, I attend the major sacraments when they are meaningful to those I love: christenings, weddings, last rites and funerals . But it has been at least 21years since my last confession.

However there are many good things I took from my religious education and participation in the Church.

While I no longer identify as a Christian, I believe that the teachings of Christ are wonderful parables for how we should *be* ... kind of a "good practice" guide to being a decent human being.

I credit the Church with inspiring in me my feminism at a very early age. I was outraged (at the age of 5) to discover I could never become an altar boy or a priest simply because I was a girl; and I spent the next decade wearying poor old Father Barker with "but why?".

Similarly, I give the Church credit for first fostering my critical thinking skills.

And I believe that having the courage of my convictions, (the strength to live each day in big and small ways according to what I believe to be good and true and right), is a result of my time in the Catholic Church.

Saint Joan was my hero and my role model and the religious figure I revered the most as a child.

I also recognise that for many people the Church provides solace and a sense of community, and I think those are wonderful and necessary things to have in your life, where ever you may find them.

And when I think of my time in the Church it is inextricably linked to my Grandmother. She found great solace there: in her understanding of God, in the rituals and in the community. And I would say 1000 rosaries for the opportunity to sit next to her through Mass just one more time.

I wish you all the best, genghisfawn, in finding a place to express your faith.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i enjoy a connection to the Saints as well as other deities that guide me through life.

i was raised Catholic, with a twist of Santeria (Voodoo) for extra measure. I have denounced the Catholic Religion (and have very strong opinions about it completely) but everyday carry the Saints and of course the Blessed Mother (aka Yemaya ) with me at all times.

i channel the Voodoo priestesses of the past when i need to, enjoy cleansing rituals, i use medals and gris gris to keep me safe.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hey, ghengis --

I am reading you as wanting to hear from other, practicing Catholics, and not folks who have had negative experiences?

I think that's good. I also know that this can be a fiery topic and hope that people will be respectful and participate in the spirit of this thread.

Hi June,

I'm not looking for all positivity... the Church is as conflicted as its members, and I'm not interested in just devout Catholics or still-practicing Catholics, but a place where people can discuss current issues, care for each other spiritually and offer fellowship.

Thanks for all the great responses and messages, folks... I'm really appreciating the community here!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

I am Catholic and adhere to most (no, not all) of the core beliefs. I don't expect or require that anyone agree with my personal beliefs but I respect differences and expect the same kind of respect. Is it a struggle? Absolutely. I know i'm a minority in terms of my belief system and have been under fire for that but again, I don't have interest in changing what others believe or don't believe. At the same time, I find solace in the foundations of the church and even in the actual structures of the church. It works for me and no, I don't agree with the controversy regarding hiding the wrongdoings of people who work in the church but they don't define me, nor do they define my faith.
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
It works for me and no, I don't agree with the controversy regarding hiding the wrongdoings of people who work in the church but they don't define me, nor do they define my faith.
I think that's a very important point in all of this. Although the Church has a rather complex and very hierarchical structure, faith is a personal thing.

Whether we agree with all or most or some of the Church's teachings and the viewpoints of those in authority at any given time in the Church, the Church is a channel through which some of us can channel our faith. In my view, it's not very dissimilar to someone being proud to be an American citizen but disliking the viewpoint of the incumbent President or the political structures of the USA.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
I think that's a very important point in all of this. Although the Church has a rather complex and very hierarchical structure, faith is a personal thing.

Whether we agree with all or most or some of the Church's teachings and the viewpoints of those in authority at any given time in the Church, the Church is a channel through which some of us can channel our faith. In my view, it's not very dissimilar to someone being proud to be an American citizen but disliking the viewpoint of the incumbent President or the political structures of the USA.
I think that's a very useful allegory, Ciaran... it's true that while I don't agree with everything in the Church, we have to remember that the Church is made up of people and people are fallible. God is strong and God is infallible... this is why my faith and heart rest with Him and not the Church. This is why I pray and use intercessory prayer to confess and give thanks rather than rely on clergy. This is why I am still able to be Catholic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Default Hilarious itinerant priest

Funny story time!!!

So I'm visiting my bestie in the small, rural town where she teaches. She's currently doing RCIA in a conversion from secular Judaism. Their priest is visiting his mother, who's dying, so we had an itinerant priest from a local large-city seminary.

The Gospel was Matthew 4: 18-20 (ish) about Simon Peter and his brother Andrew leaving their boat with Jesus to be fishers of men. Somehow this priest totally twisted the thing around and gave this tiny town a grand homily on fornication, how you shouldn't lust for your spouse and how getting a boner just out of nowhere (which I'm assured that some people do) is adultery in your mind.

As we were leaving, Bestie's friend said, "How does becoming fishers of men translate into dildoes and internet porn?" I just commented on how itinerant priests always talk about sex because they can get away with it just by going home.

What was the funniest homily you ever heard?
The Following User Says Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
imadiva

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Honey
Relationship Status:
Slow and steady ! We are tightly bound !

imadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputation
Default Being Catholic

While I don't follow the "Rules" of the church .. I do go to mass because I find it a very peaceful place to talk to God.
My church is old and it's beautiful with dark wood and marble a very old school feel and it is just so quiet and you can feel a presence there. I take communion because I feel that I am at peace with God and I don't have to confess to anyone what I do. I won't hide who I am I want you to see me and my family. We are the only same-sex family the is out at my church and yes people sometimes stare or I' m sure comment but oh well get over yourself ..I am not changing my religion to please anyone .
imadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imadiva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

I'm actually a bad United Methodist. However, I spent a year of Sunday's at Mass in Eastern Orthodox Churches. I was doing research and that is where the people I needed to talk to were. I couldn't understand the service because it was in Hungarian, Latin or Romanian (depending on where I was.) I must say that loved the history and rituals. I particularly loved the chanting and the various roles held during a service. The churches were all very ornate, beautiful and just stunning to look at.
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

If I am understanding, only a small part of your post...one problem is that you cannot take the eucharist because of the celiac. And can't request a special eucharist if you are not part of church. If this is the case, call around. This has become a very common concern in the church and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a church that already has special waffers. Until you find your church home, and if you are wanting to take communion, go to one of those churches.

As a recovering Catholic, that's all I got for you.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Im a recovering cathoilc,thats a big statement as I spent most of my educational years going the a catholic school.Once I was awed by the rituals and traditions of the church,but as I got older and I wasnt following the path of the other girls in my school I was handed to me that I would lead a very hard road if I contenued on my path.That statement was very confuseing to me at the age of 8yro cause I had no idea what or why they said that cause to most people I was just a regular farm raised kid who was a bit of a tomboy not one of the flameing girliy girls in school.My grand prents who were very hard core catholic saw no prob with me and were very open about leting me grow into myself.I am not shure how his came about but a two week summer camp trip became a two year time in a catholic convent school taught by the nuns,what came out of there was a prson who at one point beleaved wholy in the church teachings to a total rebelious one who had no use for it and have and still do feel the church failed me as a beleaver and humble child of God.I know when I got home there wa a prpblem at home between mom and my grand parrents that over the years never really went away.I suspect it had to do with my time at the convent school,never the less over the many years I just feel that the religion is way out of touch with the real worl and had not a leg to stand on because of the persacution it has put on people who it deems unworthy and ungodly.All i can say is they need to clean house before thet run anyone down cause over the centuries it has done some awful things to people in the name of god.
Obtw,I have no prob with Jeasus Christ,he was a good man who did good by many and spread the word of peace,love and careing for one another.I firmly beleave he was a mortal man who preached for the good of mankind just like countless other preachers who truely do good have done.As for a supriem being or higher athority I have a scientific mind that plays wars over this and will for a long time.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
StrongButch

How Do You Identify?:
I see the world thru a lens
Preferred Pronoun?:
Yes Boss
Relationship Status:
Chillin out with awesome women

Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,179 Posts
StrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Catholic

Check out my website Photobucket-Qconnection some catholic images.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Hello All,

I saw this thread and thought that I might share a link to Dignity USA, a group
founded by and for lgbtq Catholics. This may help some of you keep a connection to the Church while honoring your selves in your wholeness as people regardless of the poor biblical scholarship and crimes against humanity perpetuated by the Church "leadership".

It is my belief that the body of the Church resides in the people, not the leaders. Catholic people are among the first to give, to reach out in community and offer a hand, to feed the hungry or house the homeless. So do not despair over the ongoing crisis in leadership, there is good in the body of the Church, or as you say, the body of Christ.

One side of my family was Catholic and the other Jehovahs Witness. So I can not claim to have been one or the other, but made my way through that confusion to Unitarian Universalism where I do find many recovering Catholics and a huge "welcoming denomination" as well as the largest # of lgbtq Ministers in the world.

Sun

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
stargazingboi

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~

Thanked 8,321 Times in 1,626 Posts
stargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputation

Hmm I do have a story for you but I will need to come back when I have more time. I have had good and bad experiences...let me put my thoughts together and get back to you.
stargazingboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post

I saw this thread and thought that I might share a link to Dignity USA, a group
founded by and for lgbtq Catholics. This may help some of you keep a connection to the Church while honoring your selves in your wholeness as people regardless of the poor biblical scholarship and crimes against humanity perpetuated by the Church "leadership".
Sun

I genuinely appreciate the well-intended nature of your post. Furthermore, I can understand the reference to "crimes against humanity".

However, I am slightly uneasy by your reference to "poor biblical scholarship". I don't think that, in itself, is a bad thing. I think about faith and my Catholicism a lot. For me, the bible isn't the be all and end all. In fact, far from it. Biblical scholarship doesn't appeal to me.

Give me a living church with its many faults, and worshipers who often fail, rather than something that places too significant focus on writings of previous millenia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post

So do not despair over the ongoing crisis in leadership, there is good in the body of the Church, or as you say, the body of Christ.

One side of my family was Catholic and the other Jehovahs Witness. So I can not claim to have been one or the other, but made my way through that confusion to Unitarian Universalism where I do find many recovering Catholics and a huge "welcoming denomination" as well as the largest # of lgbtq Ministers in the world.

I don't despair. There's always been a significant amount of good and evil in the church. There always will be. Good attracts evil, certainly on spiritual matters.

Similarly, there's good and bad in the leadership of the church. I, for one, am confident that the good will triumph over the bad but this will take time and will be a prolonged process. The phrase "Rome wasn't built in a day" is rather apt.

Not all of us here are recovering Catholics or feel the need to look elsewhere for spiritual comfort. I'm openly and unashamedly Roman Catholic and my individual identity, and the insights and the challenges that this provides are fundamental to my Catholicism and how I experience it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post: