Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,621 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation
Default non solid foods

I have a little over a week before my surgery. I am told no solid food for one month...then semi solid food for two months after that. Liquid diet? There is no aisle in the grocery store that is for liquid diets!

so...is yogurt a non solid food?

is a milkshake?

how am I suppose to get my veggies? DONT say V8. Hate it. I might tolerate the splash stuff they make. What about protein? I can do without carbs so thats ok.

I was given a blender..that has a small food processor attachment also.

I need your help...some of you are really good foodmasters and mistresses...

I want to eat a balanced diet..help me figure this out please?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

They will give you a list of what you can eat, but generally speaking nonsolid post surgery diets allow the following; jello, applesauce, pudding, ice cream, protein shakes, broth, Ensure, oatmeal, yogurt and just about anything you can put in a blender. If you don't use yogurt be sure and add a good protein powder to your shakes and stuff or you will likely stay hungry.

Jesse
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
I have a little over a week before my surgery. I am told no solid food for one month...then semi solid food for two months after that. Liquid diet? There is no aisle in the grocery store that is for liquid diets!

so...is yogurt a non solid food?

is a milkshake?

how am I suppose to get my veggies? DONT say V8. Hate it. I might tolerate the splash stuff they make. What about protein? I can do without carbs so thats ok.

I was given a blender..that has a small food processor attachment also.

I need your help...some of you are really good foodmasters and mistresses...

I want to eat a balanced diet..help me figure this out please?
Jello, applesauce, pudding, ice cream, protein drinks, broth, oatmeal, and just about anything you can put in a blender.

You should receive a list of things you can eat, when your surgeon discharges you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

For fruits and veggies, juicing is a good option. Depending on the type of surgery, you may have to experiment with different kinds of juice. High acidity can cause some problems and certain things like broccoli can result in bloating which could be extra uncomfortable. Don't forget about smoothies with some protein powder or soft tofu thrown in. Google should give you a ton of juicing and smoothie recipes.

Good luck with your surgery.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

I think these other posts have covered most of my ideas. I will say that when my sister's best friend broke her jaw (it involved drinking) and had it wired shut, she could only eat non-solid foods for 6 weeks...

She LIVED off her blender. She got pretty good at putting things in the blender and liquefying them and then mixing them into mashed potatoes and other soft foods to make yummy tasting meals.

My very favorite thing is my juicer. If you know anyone with a juicer they'd loan you, you would LOVE it. You can juice pretty much any fruit or vegetable (except potatoes and bananas) to get a huge dose of vitamins and minerals with a great taste. There are a ton of recipes online for using a juicer. I've juiced celery, garlic, onion, etc and when you mix it with apples and pears it masks the flavor while still delivering the powerful goodness of the veggies.

Good luck!
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

HAHA. Gayla - I totally missed your post.

Sorry for the doubling up folks!

It must be past my bedtime...
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

since this is stumach surgery, no foods that will cause bloating should be eaten...

I am glad you all suggested a juicer. I will look for one.

Ensure? mmmm...when I was working with the HIV coalitions, we gave out ensure. It tasted like crap, they said. Has it changed any? Are there any flavors better than others?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Oh my,girl I know how u r feeling,been there and done that.A fue years ago I had 5 dental surgeries in 6 weeks..now u know how I like to eat??I was one pissed off fool till I bought a blender and made smoothies,pureed stuff to make soup,made fruit slushies then froze them cause its better than ice cream.Mashed taters can be a base for many things just find what u like that will work.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
PearlsNLace

How Do You Identify?:
queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
They/Them & her/she
Relationship Status:
Lucky, very lucky

Thanked 1,286 Times in 315 Posts
PearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST Reputation

If protein shakes are in your list of allowed foods-

Today we found a VERY AFFORDABLE (this is rare) protein powder at Trader Joes, under their brand name.

It was 24 grams of protein, and depending on flavor only one or even NO carbs. This is a good thing- it allows you to add protein to liquids your drinking, and on a liquid diet, finding enough protein can be difficult.

Pearls
PearlsNLace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PearlsNLace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:

Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laerkin View Post
HAHA. Gayla - I totally missed your post.

Sorry for the doubling up folks!

It must be past my bedtime...
There can never be too much juice info!

softness - I pretty much lived on mashed potatoes after my recent surgery. I was only on non solids for a few days but they were like the best thing ever. The instant one's in the cups, they're quick and easy and oddly satisfying. Di also made me some with cream cheese so I could at least tell myself it was a little bit of protein.

Since it's stomach surgery, you may find that you react to things differently than before surgery. I'd say stock up on easy stuff until you're up and around - applesauce, jello, etc. - and then try things a little bit at a time until you see what works for you.

I don't know if Ensure tastes better than it used to but there are other options and they are usually available in a regular grocery store. I liked the chocolate Boost but any of the meal replacement drinks would probably work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with Pearls,the protein shakes are pretty good.The fremch vanilla and double dutch chocolate is good..it wasnt enshure tho..cant think of the name at the moment.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,216 Times in 366 Posts
Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation

Campbells makes Soup On Hand,,its soup already pureed and its actually pretty good. Also sugar free jello and pudding,,sugar free popsicles. I found also that Atkins has some tasty protein drinks,,2 types of chocolate.reg vanilla and creamy vanilla and strawberry..has 1 gram of sugar and 15 g of protein in them..

I had gastric bypass 2 1/2 yrs ago and these are what I used.

Whey also has protein powder you can use and even some un-flavored that you can put into chili before your puree it..I used to get a small Wendys chili and put a teaspoon full of protein powder and puree it in the blender..you can always add a little low fat cheese.

Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
WhiteTigress

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, somewhat high maintenance
Preferred Pronoun?:
She. There should be no doubt!

WhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST Reputation

If you like yogurt, I would suggest Greek yogurt. It's higher in protein, and it will hold you over a lot better.

You mentioned veggies, and then later said you are fine with skipping carbs. Be aware, veggies, grains, potatoes, fruit (including juices) are ALL carbs. You may be talking about skipping starches or free sugars, but you need to remember what many forget...carbs are everywhere.

WT
WhiteTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTigress For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

exactly! This is what I am worried about, getting enough protein. I dont want to blast my body with carbs. I know mashed pots are a good base but it cant be the main staple of my diet.

I am going to call them and ask them for a list of foods I can and cannot eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlsNLace View Post
If protein shakes are in your list of allowed foods-

Today we found a VERY AFFORDABLE (this is rare) protein powder at Trader Joes, under their brand name.

It was 24 grams of protein, and depending on flavor only one or even NO carbs. This is a good thing- it allows you to add protein to liquids your drinking, and on a liquid diet, finding enough protein can be difficult.

Pearls
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

oooo...I eat almost nothing that comes in a box or an instant package mix. I am really worried that this alone is going to affect me. I want to try to blend and juice as much as I can. My stumach is quite sensitive. but then, maybe after surgery it wont be.

[QUOTE=gayla;180105] There can never be too much juice info!

softness - I pretty much lived on mashed potatoes after my recent surgery. I was only on non solids for a few days but they were like the best thing ever. The instant one's in the cups, they're quick and easy and oddly satisfying. Di also made me some with cream cheese so I could at least tell myself it was a little bit of protein.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

whats going to make this very hard on me is that I NEED my food to have a crunch to it. Textures are important. I am a very oral person and to sip liquid for three months is going to make me crazy...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

juicing for sure. your'll feel great too. try soy milk with hemp protein powder. stay away from sugary protein shakes. Linus posted a link some time ago for

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Health-Optimizer-Chocolate-Vega/dp/B001HBUL5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1282794201&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer Chocolate By Vega - 37.8 Ounces: Beauty[/ame]

its a complete vegan meal replacement. I think it taste ok. you could live on it. its pricey but has everything you need vitamin wise, probotics, fiber. But remember you'll feel more full with good proteins like this and veggies- juicing and staying away from carbs. also the juicing will seriously jumpstart your healing.

kiss
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
oooo...I eat almost nothing that comes in a box or an instant package mix. I am really worried that this alone is going to affect me. I want to try to blend and juice as much as I can. My stumach is quite sensitive. but then, maybe after surgery it wont be.
Yeah, I ate way too much packaged stuff after my thyroid surgery in January but I spent a lot of time awake in the middle of the night and it was the easiest thing for me to eat when I couldn't stand up long enough to even really nuke stuff.

Di suggested Instant Breakfast, which has lots of vitamins, some protein and if you make it with soy or almond milk there isn't the lactose issue that might be an issue. It was one of her staples. She also did this weird thing where she pureed a hard boiled egg with a little bit of water. She said it was almost like egg salad. And she liked cream of wheat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laerkin View Post
I think these other posts have covered most of my ideas. I will say that when my sister's best friend broke her jaw (it involved drinking) and had it wired shut, she could only eat non-solid foods for 6 weeks...

She LIVED off her blender. She got pretty good at putting things in the blender and liquefying them and then mixing them into mashed potatoes and other soft foods to make yummy tasting meals.

My very favorite thing is my juicer. If you know anyone with a juicer they'd loan you, you would LOVE it. You can juice pretty much any fruit or vegetable (except potatoes and bananas) to get a huge dose of vitamins and minerals with a great taste. There are a ton of recipes online for using a juicer. I've juiced celery, garlic, onion, etc and when you mix it with apples and pears it masks the flavor while still delivering the powerful goodness of the veggies.

Good luck!
I had my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks (it's a good story....laughin.......) and I have to tell you............a blender and a juicer will save your life. Everything I ate had to be sucked through a straw. I actually had Thanksgiving dinner through a straw.......turkey, dressing, taters, cranberry sauce and gravy blended smoothly and sucked through a straw. It was tasty!!!!

I did loose about 25-30 lbs...which I did not have to loose. I could not get enough calories in my system.....I was 26yrs old, a jock and could eat enormous amounts of food (think 16 yr old boy) and never gain weight....and I'm still that way.

So get a blender and a juicer.........and remember you need protein every day.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Pure Protein makes a very tasty shake. I mix the chocolate and banana together, it's yummmmy. Something like 2 grams of sugar, 3 grams of carbs, and 35 grams of protein. They also make the powder so that you can mix up your own batch of protein. Check it out!

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T D For This Useful Post: