Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default President Obama: Policy, Presidency, and Person

I was looking around for a thread specifically to talk about President Obama's policies, articles about him, things he is doing in the Presidency, etc. and there wasn't one, so here it is.

I read this article talking about President Obama identifying himself as Black on the Census and what his Presidency has meant to systems of race in this country.

http://www.alternet.org/story/146912...e_white?page=2

I do remember Toni Morrison referring to Bill Clinton as a "Black President" and this article examines that and why many folks saw President Obama as more "white".
Thoughts?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I don't see color because I am colorblind. I think of people as they are in their hearts and souls. Mr. Obama is a good soul. I think he has every intention of trying to fix our nation. However, there are others who want our nation to fail. In my heart of hearts, soul of souls, I think we are going to see him assinated.

Thank you for starting this up Madusa! You are the best!
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

re. the topic:

interesting article!

of course *fear* would be at the core of such hatred--not the changing face of "black" --but the changing face of "white".

in addition, i think this fear and attempt to preserve 'whiteness' is also being demonstrated in arizona--specifically with the recent BAN on ethnic studies. (the argument being that 'ethnic studies' leads to 'ethnic chauvinism' which is apparently only for the white people.)

Andrew:

assassination is generally concerning.

blindness doesn't really speak to the issue of our president and the census and Obama's disruption of 'whiteness'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

I don't see color because I am colorblind. I think of people as they are in their hearts and souls. Mr. Obama is a good soul. I think he has every intention of trying to fix our nation. However, there are others who want our nation to fail. In my heart of hearts, soul of souls, I think we are going to see him assinated.

Thank you for starting this up Madusa! You are the best!
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Dressypoo - I thought so too re: fear around the changing face of "whiteness" - Even further evidenced when I see now that Arizona wants to require schools to report undocumented children.

That whole "pluck it out by the root" thing.

I'm curious and will have to read that bill concerning what they plan to do when teaching history and if their whole ethnic "studies" cleansing will include foriegn language classes. I am serverly under-informed but trying to read more.

I think with Obama being in office and the relatively exponential increase in haterade with the immigration laws and with the Republican idiocy, there is an increasing fear with white people that "Oh my god! A Black man is in charge and is going to take hundreds of years of oppression out on alla us white peopleeeeeee!"
Notice the increase in gun and ammunition sales? It's sad that I don't have to even speculate that a lot of idiot white people think they they are under "siege" by brown people and are gearing up for a "race war" as evidenced by numerous stupid postings all over the internet.

I do think that it speaks heavily to the nature of the white people who fear political "retaliation" at the hands of President Obama.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It is my understanding that in the bill banning ethnic studies it also forbids anyone with a "heavy accent" to teach English.

Meanwhile, HI still gets hundreds of requests a week for Mr. Obamas birth certificate. Still.

Fear is being instigated by outfits like Faux News who now operate more as a political powerhouse than a news agency. The things that I hear coming out of peoples mouths scare me. A lot.

I dare to hope that our country can get through this. White people are clutching onto whatever power they can, when truly white has been the minority in most metropolitan areas for some time.

Re the 2010 Census: White people will no longer be such a minority. They've taken off a place for Hispanics, Latinos etc. completely. We are all supposed to check white. There isn't even an other box. How in the world is that census going to give an accurate reflection?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I was just at the doctors office. I thought I would bring this thread up there since it is always a long wait. I scribbled down what some folks said, and wanted to share their responses here with you all.

One lady stated that she feared that with the BP oil spill, it would show the world how poor our polical system is and needs to be changed. How can BP drill off our coast and not allow any scienctists there to help? It shows that the true reality of our state of being.

One man stated that Mr. Obama is a tremendous speaker, but that is it. He is someone who can be a leader, but others have his hands tied.

Another man stated that we are going to see alot of changes. We just have to get rid of the old politics, and the good ol' boy system.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote