stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:
engaged to my fiancee Amanda

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

2late-All my classes will be on MIT's campus.
stephfromMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
BoDy*ShOt

How Do You Identify?:
Queer. Femme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
girl ones

Thanked 2,096 Times in 532 Posts
BoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST Reputation

"it is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

a favorite quote that inspires me to work at the person I am meant to be.

I'll be returning to school to finish an undergrad degree, finally. because it is never too late.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
After reading the posts, I thought I would throw a question out there....how many are taking online classes as opposed to the actual classroom? When I got my nursing degree, many of my classes couldn't be taken online (for obvious reasons...a lot of them were clinical in nature). Luckily, I was able to transfer many of my credits, and CLEP even more...so now, I have the option to take a good number of classes online. I've always been a bit leery of online classes, because I felt that I needed the discipline of an actual classroom setting. However, this summer I took two online classes and, to my surprise, really enjoyed it! I'm thinking of perhaps splitting the rest of my remaining classes 50-50 between online and classroom. If you are taking online classes...what have been your experiences with them? Do you find them easier or harder? Are you online by choice, or is that all that is available?

My Fall classes:
Speech Science I
Sign Language
Aging and the Law
Intro to Physical Science
My classes are all online. It has its drawbacks. I don't go to class therefore accountability falls on me and me alone. Likely, my dom will end up making rules to help me do the work.

For me, being deaf, it makes sense. Otherwise, I get to go to student services, turn in lots of paperwork, and drag an interpreter to class. In many ways, that makes the class much harder. I pay attention to my terp and forget to take notes. Or I take notes and forget my terp. I've gone the route of someone else taking notes for me, but couldn't hold the new I.information in my brain because they weren't MY notes. So...unless you're one of the professors that utilizes online and offline, I'm much less likely to succeed.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Today I start my Masters/PhD program in Mexican American Studies with an emphasis on Chicana/o History and Pedagogy. I was so excited and nervous last night a barely slept a wink. I picked up my books last week and have been perusing them and looking forward to an enlightening and enriching first semester of grad school. There are actually four more books than what I have posted below, but fortunately I already have them in my home library. And I still have one class missing its booklist!! Let's just say I will be knee deep in books for the next 2-8 years. I LOVE IT!

I am also working full time and raising two girls. Medusa, I'm right there with you in the thick of crazyville!!

Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
After reading the posts, I thought I would throw a question out there....how many are taking online classes as opposed to the actual classroom? When I got my nursing degree, many of my classes couldn't be taken online (for obvious reasons...a lot of them were clinical in nature). Luckily, I was able to transfer many of my credits, and CLEP even more...so now, I have the option to take a good number of classes online. I've always been a bit leery of online classes, because I felt that I needed the discipline of an actual classroom setting. However, this summer I took two online classes and, to my surprise, really enjoyed it! I'm thinking of perhaps splitting the rest of my remaining classes 50-50 between online and classroom. If you are taking online classes...what have been your experiences with them? Do you find them easier or harder? Are you online by choice, or is that all that is available?

My Fall classes:
Speech Science I
Sign Language
Aging and the Law
Intro to Physical Science
Hi Always,

I'm curious to hear how your sign language class goes; assuming it is one you are taking online.

I have taken a ton of online courses and each one has been fairly unique in its own right. Most of them were in my minor area which was Sociology. One of the toughest ones by far was a Sociology of Gender course I took in the spring. I thought it would be a piece of cake since my major was Gender & Women's Studies, but the prof weighted our entire grade on three exams. I got a C on my midterm and brought my A down to a B. I have found that the more work there is, the harder I work in turn. My online linguistics class this summer required a lot of interaction via a discussion forum where the class met three times a week. That was in interesting class and provided more of a interactive platform which is a nice change from the solitary realm of online academics.

I definitely do better in face-to-face classes, but that's probably due largely to me being so easily distracted when I'm online (oh, lookie...Facebook!) But, if it weren't for online courses I would not have been able to graduate as quickly as I did given my work/family schedules.
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #26
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation
Default online study

My Master's in entirely online. My uni uses Blackboard. We're supposed to post work related to each week's readings. There's no opportunity to mix with classmates off BB and folks tend to only post what's necessary so no interaction - we don't have any online discussions.

I'm behind in my readings and have a terrible mental block and like others I'm easily distracted.

I don't do very well when I feel isolated so I don't like not having an opportunity to interact with classmates off BB.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
Today I start my Masters/PhD program in Mexican American Studies with an emphasis on Chicana/o History and Pedagogy.

How do you do a combined Master's/PhD? What's the pedagogy aspect of it? Looking forward to hearing more about it and love your pile of books, they look so interesting! I only have one textbook but heaps of articles.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
Old 08-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #28
sylvie

How Do You Identify?:
Mr Mtn's babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly, she
Relationship Status:
fiercely protected ♥

Thanked 7,501 Times in 1,850 Posts
sylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputation

Oh, how excited am i to find *this* thread , seriously!
i am a newly registered college girl, starting on Sept 7th.
i am very ready and very nervous, of course.
Working on a nursing degree. i have been wanting to do this for a long time, and am so ready for it now..I love to learn - and ready to give this my all!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay for a student thread!
Interacting with others as students here will be a huge positive for me..
Having that support as a mature student, this is great!

my facebook weight loss page:
http://www.facebook.com/asyllyjourney
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sylvie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #29
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskiwi View Post
What do you do to focus? Whether it's something you need to read or write...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Unfortunately, I usually need a crushing amount of pressure. Ha!
I do my best work if I procrastinate until the very last minute. Something about the intensity of scrambling, the empty library at midnight, and the fear of imminent consequences all seem to do it.

It's a terrible strategy and I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it's just pure dumb luck that I've never had something come up, or that there was a book or a research article that I desperately needed for my work that I couldn't get my hands on at the last minute.

This semester I'm taking two grad courses, and I'm determined to be better. For my two undergrad degrees I stayed in an area that I knew well, but now I've veered off my planned path and into a field where I'm not so surefooted and things may not come as easily.
I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only person who does this! I, too, seem to function much better under extreme pressure...I write better papers, find I retain more of what I study, etc... And I also beat myself up for it every semester, always telling myself that I MUST get into better study habits, that I am setting myself up for failure should something unexpected come up. This year, I think I might finally have to break the bad habit of waiting until almost the last minute. One of my classes is Sign Language...and since I'll be learning an entirely new language, and a physical one at that, I don't think I'll be able to fall back on my "last minute" methods.

Quote:
Hi Always,

I'm curious to hear how your sign language class goes; assuming it is one you are taking online.
Hi Novela! The sign language class is one that I will be taking on campus. They aren't offering it online, and I don't think they will. I haven't seen it offered as an online class in past semesters. Given the nature of the course..I'm not sure that it could be effective online. It's funny...when some family members and friends heard that I was taking the course, they all hit me up for lessons...so it looks like I will have ample practice! LOL

On a totally different note...your books look REALLY interesting!

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
How do you do a combined Master's/PhD? What's the pedagogy aspect of it? Looking forward to hearing more about it and love your pile of books, they look so interesting! I only have one textbook but heaps of articles.
Hi Lusciouskiwi!

Many graduate programs will offer combined degrees! I am studying at the University of Arizona and our graduate college offers several in the areas of hard sciences and linguistics.

As of the fall of 2013, the Mexican American Studies Department here will offer a PhD in MAS and all current graduate students with a 3.5 GPA will automatically be allocated a slot in the program.

Pedagogy means the science of education. So in terms of my graduate focus it means I will be studying the history and educational practices of both Old World and New World Mexico. Although, I am already leaning toward a new focus. I don't have to decided until the end of the Spring semester, tho. PHEW!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Quote:
Hi Lusciouskiwi!

Many graduate programs will offer combined degrees! I am studying at the University of Arizona and our graduate college offers several in the areas of hard sciences and linguistics.

As of the fall of 2013, the Mexican American Studies Department here will offer a PhD in MAS and all current graduate students with a 3.5 GPA will automatically be allocated a slot in the program.

Pedagogy means the science of education. So in terms of my graduate focus it means I will be studying the history and educational practices of both Old World and New World Mexico. Although, I am already leaning toward a new focus. I don't have to decided until the end of the Spring semester, tho. PHEW!
Wow, sounds like a lot! I know what pedagogy is just wasn't sure what it meant in terms of your studies What's your new focus (or is it a secret)?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #32
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Hi Novela! The sign language class is one that I will be taking on campus. They aren't offering it online, and I don't think they will. I haven't seen it offered as an online class in past semesters. Given the nature of the course..I'm not sure that it could be effective online. It's funny...when some family members and friends heard that I was taking the course, they all hit me up for lessons...so it looks like I will have ample practice! LOL
[/QUOTE]

Don't know if you've already seen this Always ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #33
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

WOOTIFER!

I took my first quiz this morning at the butt crack of dawn and scored the max 110 points!

Needless to say, I was very stoked by this. It was only 22 questions long but 12 of them were s/a.

I have a full load this semester and my type 'A' personality says that I have to have a 4.0 at the end of this semester. We'll see. One of my Profs is not only ex-military but a double PHD. She is TOUGH.

I broke out my trusty old leather satchel and will march my ass back on campus tomorrow night for a live class. Something weird about being 35 and surrounded by young 20-somethings but it's also a nice social plugin.

LOVING being back in school so far!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
WOOTIFER!

I took my first quiz this morning at the butt crack of dawn and scored the max 110 points!

Needless to say, I was very stoked by this. It was only 22 questions long but 12 of them were s/a.

I have a full load this semester and my type 'A' personality says that I have to have a 4.0 at the end of this semester. We'll see. One of my Profs is not only ex-military but a double PHD. She is TOUGH.

I broke out my trusty old leather satchel and will march my ass back on campus tomorrow night for a live class. Something weird about being 35 and surrounded by young 20-somethings but it's also a nice social plugin.

LOVING being back in school so far!

I know you may have told us, but I'ma feeling lazeeee ... what are you studying?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #35
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Wow, sounds like a lot! I know what pedagogy is just wasn't sure what it meant in terms of your studies What's your new focus (or is it a secret)?

It's not a secret, just something I have been gnawing on for a while.

If I do pursue a PhD, then I will need to enroll in the thesis portion of my masters program, and what I'd like to focus on is trauma and affect studies as byproducts of neocolonial, neoliberal, and immigrant policies. I think it could make a fabulous thesis project as well as material for a dissertation.

If I don't do a thesis then I will opt for the exam option and possibly punctuate my academic career with my M.A.

We shall see!

Congratulations Medusa!!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #36
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

I hate the profs that assign nothing but articles! Research is a great supplement, but there are only so many methods sections I can take in one sitting!!
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #37
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Quote:
what I'd like to focus on is trauma and affect studies as byproducts of neocolonial, neoliberal, and immigrant policies.
Wow, sounds really interesting. Keep us all posted eh?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #38
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:

I know you may have told us, but I'ma feeling lazeeee ... what are you studying?
I'm going back for my MBA! The university that I attend doesn't currently offer a Masters in MIS so I had to settle for this for now. There are rumors that they are working up a program (which makes sense since that city is the Silicon Valley of Arkansas *snort*)

So far, classes are interesting and heavy with marketing (which I love!).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #39
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I am attending John F. Kennedy University in Pleasant Hill, CA working on my MA in Marriage and Family Therapy.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #40
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Prof Pet Peeve: I really dislike it when Profs are disorganized and wait until the last minute to give us a working syllabus. Also, if it's an online class and you still haven't posted assignments in the 4 days since class started, you are an asshole.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:

Tags
student