Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 11-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

The holidays just haven't been the same since my Momma died 17 years ago. I love the fall, the changing leaves, cool crisp days and nights, bonfires.
I have been on call Thanksgiving day just about every year since 1993 so that others with families can spend time together.
My BFF is on in house call today, I am going to meet her for lunch @ the hospital.

Hospitals make you hate the holidays also. I worked till 8:30 last night. We will be slammed through the 1st of the year.

Happy Holidays everyone...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #22
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I would certainly agree that the holidays can bring pain as well as happiness.

My family keeps getting smaller...my dad dying 12 years ago and now my brother just a few weeks ago. It is a reminder that things are not the same. It is a reminder that place settings at the table are missing and the voices and laughter of years past are now just memories. This is hard to face and this is hard to swollow.

But, it is memories that get me through it. I believe there is also a lot of good things to see this time of year.

Even though charities are "open for buisness" all year, they are way more apparent around this time. "Coats for the cold" for example have hit a record high this season so far for the amount of coats being donated. The "Salvation Army" who i totally support get most of their donations from now until Christmas that keeps them going all year.

People have different reasons for dreading, disliking holidays. Just thought I'd share what makes them painful for *me* and to also share what I believe to be a wonderful reason to also be "thankful" they are around.

Hugz to all those who have a difficult time with all the holidays for whatever reason there is.....
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #23
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

I dread the holidays more than hate them.

For the last 20+ years I have worked in family law. Nearly every holiday, summer vacation and weekend bring escalated conflict over children.

It's always about power and control. The party behaving badly is either blind to the effect on the children or they just don't care - sometimes both. They decide that their interpretation of the Court's order is gospel. Never mind that the order reads "The minor children will spend the name your holiday with Parent A in even numbered years and with Parent B in odd numbered years." It's 2010 (obviously and EVEN numbered year) and Parent B declares the children will be with them and Parent A will just have to get over it.

Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #24
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcountry View Post
Good Spirit rav...giving all year round...Now you're on the page!! *GRIN*

You know, your positive attitude is just wrong, T!!

So, i was thinking about it more and decided i needed some balance, so here...

Since becoming an adult and deciding for myself where & with whom i'd spend the holidays around, there have been some nice ones (i hate to admit it). i remember one thanksgiving with a friend's family....they all went around and said what each person was thankful for. That was cool.

And the aforementioned ex....one year for xmas dinner, she made a....can't remember the name of it.....it was like a low country boil, but in a red sauce.

Our Leather Family was there, and we all wore garbage bags as bibs. That was fun....a lot of fun. i have a picture of that somewhere....

And each year the Family gets together in Dec for a celebration. This year we'll be bringing a new member (and an old friend to most of us) into the clan. i look forward to that.

i really don't like hearing people say they "have" to go to a family get together even if they don't want to, just because it's family and what they do.

Everyone should have the personal freedom to do what they *want* to do, not what's expected of them.

And do it free of guilt!! And with no excuses or even explanations....

"no mama/granny/whoever, i wont be making it this year, but i'll see you soon, ok!" Took me several years of practice, but i was able to finally start doing that. It was GREAT!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

It's not wrong to be so positive *playful jaw drop*
True tho EVERYTHING is a choice...you chose what you do and with who...
So all in all You make the holiday what you want it to be...
soooo of course be positive and create some more GOOD memories
...even if you are being silly with friends...(or in my case this year, coworkers)...*grin*

Life is what you make it...holidays too are what you choose to make them.
Have a Great Thanksgiving...& plan some Fun for the rest of them this year!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #26
HoneyedChrysanthemum

Exclamation re:holidays

i don't celebrate xmas or any other christian holiday,since i am not christian. i was raised pagan and am now buddhist/taoist, like my my femme sis, Lady Wu. all of my friends know this and do not ask me to any xmas or other christian functions. i will join others in their celebrations of pagan, heathen, jewish, buddhist, taoist holidays, essentially i will join in the holiday of any faith that is not exclusive. unfortunately, most christian denominations are exclusive: they believe that unless you are christian, you are going to hell, a concept that i do not subscribe to.
i really dislike being subjected to xmasxmasxmas from just about the end of all hallow's eve til the beginning of the new year. xmas carols on every station, xmas decorations in every shop window, xmas charity requests in every batch of mail....enough to make a normally even-tempered grrl want to scream! of course, i accept that this is price i must pay for living in a nominally christian country. and i do mean PRICE and PAY! i often wonder how truly religiously observant christians feel about the buybuybuy, spendspendspend commertialization of the date (really in the spring, this date was atake-over of the God Saturn) of the birth of their founder? do the number of the faithful to Jesus equal the number of the faithful in church on xmas eve/xmas equal the number of the faithful to money in the malls beforehand?
i was married to someone who really went all out for xmas and every other christian holidayfor many years, even though hy knew i was not christian. (hy had kept this hidden from me til AFTER we married and moved in together.) and guess who had to do all the decorating, xmas shopping, cooking, etc? right-me, the wife! hy even insisted that i decorate the LOBBY of the apt building where we lived! aaaargh! i don't mind CHRISTANS celebrating xmas, but why must hy inflict it upon me? if i never wrap another door in red, green, white and hang a wreath (a pagan/heathen custom, btw), it will not be too soon for me!
so, ravfem, i agree with your posts!
pres
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #27
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

Growing up Christmas wasnt celebrated with me, so when I met my biological mom we used to go all out with presents, spending time together, baking etc. When she died, well its back to being alone. I help charities but its still not the same, I HATE Christmas

bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #28
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I am traumatized at the very thought
Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #29
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

this time should symbolize peace and love..

instead it stresses me out.. the airports, the family drama and then the pressure to buy people who already have way too much of everything a present! Seeing family then feeling guilty for leaving them again.. ugh..

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
this time should symbolize peace and love..

instead it stresses me out.. the airports, the family drama and then the pressure to buy people who already have way too much of everything a present! Seeing family then feeling guilty for leaving them again.. ugh..

Since you mentioned this Sassy, several years back when I was wanting for and needing for nothing, Nannie asked me about Christmas and I told her I didn't need a thing. I asked her to make a donation to the women's shelter for me for Christmas. She did that for several years and then demanded that she wanted to do something for me. So I told her to give me a Guidepost subscription so that is what she did each year since then. I guess I'll have to buy my own subscription this year.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #31
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Since you mentioned this Sassy, several years back when I was wanting for and needing for nothing, Nannie asked me about Christmas and I told her I didn't need a thing. I asked her to make a donation to the women's shelter for me for Christmas. She did that for several years and then demanded that she wanted to do something for me. So I told her to give me a Guidepost subscription so that is what she did each year since then. I guess I'll have to buy my own subscription this year.

Great idea.. I am normally way more in the spirit of giving to those who need it than this.. spent many Christmas' at AIDS shelters or Childrens Hospital and one year hauling quadriplegics to their loved ones in the snow..

Sure beats exchanging gift cards in total chaos.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: