Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default For the love of Kayaking

For the love of Kayaking...
For the well seasoned, the intermediate, and the amature yakers, or the one's that are thinking about getting one.
A place to share Idea's.
Ask questions.
Share place's you have been to.
Be you a recreational kayaker. A sports fisherperson, racing yaker, bird watcher yaker, touring, white water, sea or fresh water kayaking.
No matter what you like, it's all an addiction.
There are so many options to choose from. SIS which are sit inside.
SOTS which are sit on top. Chosing the right one is a task in itself.
Then comes the accessories. What type of PFD personal floating device. Which paddle is right for you. Anchors, Floating anchors, floats.
Bungies, straps. Rod holders,leashes,clamps,lights, fish finders, GPS, ropes, emergency kits, what type of roof carriers, buy versus make your own.
Stability, fast tracking, skirts, rudders. Yes so many options, so much choices. All in all, it's the matter of comfort, cost, and what your planning to do.
My main choice of information is, if your not sure what kind of kayak your wanting to buy; don't just buy because it looks pretty, rugged or you like the color. Don't buy out of desperation. Go to places that let you test paddle, try as many as you can. Ask question to the dealership, if there are courses, consider taking a basic class on paddling. And always wear you PFD it could save your life!
* There are many kayaks for sale online that are used, but if you don't know what your buying you could be buying someone elses problems. Know what your looking for, look for leaks, soft hulls, rotted seals. Ask to try before you buy.
* You can actually save a lot of money making your own accessories. And you really shouldn't over pack your yak to begin with, though I am very guilty of packing like im going to camp for 2 days. I am not one that likes name brands, I like basics, some of the low end brands actually work just as well as the expensive.
*PFD are the only expensive item that you need to spend money on, like I said earlier, it will save your life.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

I absolutely LOVE kayaking! When we float the spring-fed rivers here in Missouri, I use an SOT. I have always wanted to hit some faster rivers, but the ones here in the spring are pretty good...it's just cold because of the "spring fed" thing. BRRRRR!!

I would love to try some other places that are not too far of a drive, but will have to wait until after I finish school to be able to do so.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default White water

I have done white water rafting and have always wanted to do white water kayaking, but never have. The closest place is a few hours away, so it really isn't possible for it to become a sport for me.

I have considered looking into ocean kayaking, as I go to the beach in the summer regularly. Now I know where to go for information this summer, if I decide to get into it.

Thanks, Blaze!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I absolutely LOVE kayaking! When we float the spring-fed rivers here in Missouri, I use an SOT. I have always wanted to hit some faster rivers, but the ones here in the spring are pretty good...it's just cold because of the "spring fed" thing. BRRRRR!!

I would love to try some other places that are not too far of a drive, but will have to wait until after I finish school to be able to do so.
Ahhh speaking of the cold...
You can wear wadders, or you can purchase a neoprene body suit. For me, lol, cheap way, get a rain jacket suit, I use the pants, put on a neoprene wadder boot. A hoodie and I am ready!
Yes, I prefer the sit on tops, only cause I fish and I like to hang my legs off the side. I have yet to white water. Perhaps one day we can hook up and you teach me how to hit the rivers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

I've kayaked for many years (some years more than others), almost exclusively in the Hudson river around Manhattan & Brooklyn. The river is brackish and tidal so it's more like sea-kayaking. Lots of boat traffic as well ( just try to outrun the Staten island ferry sometime!). I've played in sit on tops when i wanted to get some sun on my legs, but normally it's all sit inside. Lately I've used a Cape horn 15, but i've also liked a 17 foot.

Once it warms up I'll be back, too much hassle to deal with full dry suit in the winter for me.

I don't own a boat. I've owned a PFD (because the one's the outfitter has are not made to accommodate breasts - so you either can't breathe or they ride up!

I do however have my own paddle. Best investment you can make I think. Mine is a good 10 years old - Epic carbon fiber. Love it, light as hell, esp important for long distance paddle.
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

I give you credit for trying to out run a ferry! The boaters here in Texas, they like to try and turtle you. SO I usually have my fishing rod in one hand while saluting the middle bird with my left. ~shakes head~ to much salutes cuts my fishing time in half!
Wonderful choice in paddle I must say! Because I use my paddle for everything, I have always used the Day tripper from Academy. It's not good in the cold weather, but I love the blade on it, and it's a good second paddle back up if something happens to your favorite paddle. I am now looking into the Bending Branches Whisper AS paddle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

What to Carry on Board
Kayak Fishing With Jeff McGovern

A kayak is not a bass boat, bay boat, or a flats boat when it comes to hauling equipment. While a kayak can fill most boating roles, space is limited-- so serious thought is needed as to what to carry. You outfit your boat according to the needs you have in your own fishing area. My fishing time is split between saltwater and freshwater in Florida. The gear is similar, except for the tackle changes normally associated between the two types of fishing.

Safety gear is first. You need to be safe in the water and there are some things that are mandatory and might be required by law. A PFD or personal floatation device is very important and should be worn at all times while in the kayak. A whistle is required as a signaling device and should be carried on board. Hat and sunglasses add protection and comfort from the sun. Proper clothing, either rain suit or sun protection, needs to be accessible for when the need arises. Fishing gloves protect the hands from sunburn and can aid in the landing of fish. Sun block should be worn at all times to protect the skin. I prefer at least SPF 30 or higher. Foot wear needs to be nonskid and of a type that can be worn in the water. Here in Florida, shoes with a sturdy sole help prevent cuts and slashes from oyster beds and shells. I also carry a sponge or towel to wipe my hands after a fish, as well as to soak up any water I get into the boat.

You need some way to secure your kayak while still fishing. An anchor or stake out pole is ideal for this. My preference is to use a small folding anchor on an anchor trolley rigged to the side of the kayak. If the water is shallow enough, in the W you can simply change your position on the seat to pin the hulls to the bottom--a great method for stop and go style flats fishing. In deeper water, a drift sock or small bucket can be used to slow down your drift. In addition to securing the kayak at times, you'll also need a place to keep the paddle out of the way. You can either place it across the cockpit, resting on the cockpit noodles or on paddle hooks (as seen on the W website.)

Fishing tackle needs a place to be kept out of the way until needed. A fishing vest with multiple pockets is fine for small terminal tackle and packages of plastic baits. It also gives you a place to carry a small camera, line clippers, dehookers, and other small fishing tools. I use small gear reels or lanyards to keep the gear close at hand but out of the way while fishing. Larger lures in tackle packs and other tools can be placed in a small plastic trashcan and slid under the deck on whichever side is most convenient. A net is handy and a small one can be kept under the front deck opposite the side with the trash can. Another great tool for landing and controlling fishing at the boat is a pair of fish grabbers.

I keep drinks and snacks in a small soft cooler behind me in one of the hull spaces. If fish are to be kept for dinner, they can be stored in a cooler bag in a hull space as well.

Rods and reels are placed in the flush mount holders, if the W model you have is equipped with them. My F2 has two holders, while my standard W boat has a three-tube crate rig mounted on the deck behind me. If I need extra rods, I use multi-piece pack rods stored below the decks. Some folks like to troll while paddling and the new Ram rod holders are ideal for this purpose.
Remember that, even though space is limited compared to a powerboat, there is more than enough room for a day of fishing in a kayak. It just takes a bit of thought and planning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
SnackTime

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
UNattainable

2 Highscores

Thanked 13,229 Times in 2,884 Posts
SnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for starting this thread Blaze!

"There's something to be said for not saying anything"
SnackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnackTime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

The newest model out for the angler kayaker
It's the Jackson Kayak Coosa
Shorter in stature 11'3" but the craze is on!

I own a Perception Aquaterra Prism. 14' 4" long It's a fast yak, not really a fishing yak but I rigged it to become one. Not a beginner yak, it's not very stable, it was built for speed. This model is an older model but I had used one in Hawaii years ago and I always loved this yak. So I waited patiently until I found one here in TX. My next choice would have been a Heritage Redfish. But now I got my eye on the model above. Says you can actually stand on this model. Hmmm something to look forward to!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,378 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This thread looks great!

I've been interested in learning for a couple of years, maybe this summer will have to be the time. There are a couple of places near me that rent equipment by the hour, day, or longer, and give classes.

I have subscribed and will be keeping up with the thread.

Thanks
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know if I kayed I would fall in probably and not really like that so I don't think I would do it unless a nice butch came with me to help me out in the deep waters of the river..just saying
Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

I have never been but always wanted to!!! If there is anyone in GA near Atlanta that would like to take a femme for her first kayaking adventure just let me know. I am still waiting for my first ride on the back of a Harley too! Maybe this is my year!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by turasultana View Post
I've kayaked for many years (some years more than others), almost exclusively in the Hudson river around Manhattan & Brooklyn. The river is brackish and tidal so it's more like sea-kayaking. Lots of boat traffic as well ( just try to outrun the Staten island ferry sometime!). I've played in sit on tops when i wanted to get some sun on my legs, but normally it's all sit inside. Lately I've used a Cape horn 15, but i've also liked a 17 foot.

Once it warms up I'll be back, too much hassle to deal with full dry suit in the winter for me.

I don't own a boat. I've owned a PFD (because the one's the outfitter has are not made to accommodate breasts - so you either can't breathe or they ride up!

I do however have my own paddle. Best investment you can make I think. Mine is a good 10 years old - Epic carbon fiber. Love it, light as hell, esp important for long distance paddle.
Stohlquist Wedge-e Personal Flotation Device

see more products
by MTI MTI PFDiva Womens Kayak Life Jacket 2010: The PFDiva is the only Life Vest you can custom fit for different cup sizes. Inspired by the latest fashion & sports bra design trends, the PFDiva comes with the *Adjust-A-Bust* Fit Kit. Four ultra-soft Memory Foam pads can be inserted inside interior pockets to support the bust, improving the vest-to-body connection. PFDiva moves with you. Other women-friendly features are the Racer-Back shape, a front entry zipper, easy-to-use adjustment straps, pockets, reflective tape for visibility, and pretty Butterfly Tattoos.
http://www.thefind.com/apparel/browse-womens-kayak-life-jacket
There are PFD's in so many more choices for women now.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

How to Find the Best Kayak Life Vest for Women

kayak 9 image by Jerome Dancette from Fotolia.com

How to Find the Best Kayak Life Vest for Women

Overview

A kayak life vest, or a personal flotation device (PFD), is a necessary piece of kayaking safety gear that provides buoyancy should you fall into the water. Regardless of type and size of watercraft, the U.S. Coast Guard requires each person carry a PFD on board. Women-specific PFD's are customized for a better fit and improve their effectiveness as a life preserver.

Step 1

Torso length of the PFD should be short. To maximize mobility while paddling, women's PFDs will be shorter in length and have a racer cut on the back of the vest. The shortened length allows for a versatile and snug fit across the waist and chest, will prevent the PFD from riding up above the shoulders and will not interfere with the kayak seat back.
Step 2

The PFD should have built-in contoured cups. Built-in contoured cups wrap and support the bust line rather than crush or flatten.
PFDs for whitewater Great selection of PFDs from Astral Lotus and Kokatat zoaroutdoor.com/catalog
Sponsored Links

Step 3

The PFD should have adjustable shoulder and waist straps with side-release buckles. Adjustable straps allow you to customize the fit of your PFD for comfort and maximum safety. A vest that fits snugly will keep you afloat should you fall into the water.
Step 4

Over the head or side-zip design prevents the PFD from coming undone during use. Life vests with a center-zip closure can unzip during a wet re-entry into your kayak. An over-the-head design or side-zip closure prevents the zipper from pulling down when getting back into the kayak in the event of capsize.
Step 5

The PFD should have storage for safety gear. Two front cargo pockets are essential for carrying safety gear such as a whistle, a knife and food. The vest should also have reflective tape on the front and back to allow for visibility in low light.

Inflatable PFD Life Vest Mustang & SOSpenders Life jackets infant, children's & adult vests! www.LandfallNavigation.com
Life Vests at SwimOutlet Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping, The Web's Most Popular Swim Shop! www.SwimOutlet.com
TX Kayak Paddle Quality, Lightweight Kayak Paddles. Call Our Store To Buy Today! www.GullwingPaddles.com/PaddleStore
Hi-Vis Clothing ANSI Coats, Hats, Vests, Leather, Radio Straps, Suspenders www.firstoutrescue.com
Sponsored Links

Tips and Warnings
  • To care for your PFD, rinse after each use and let the vest dry before storing.
References

Photo Credit

kayak 9 image by Jerome Dancette from Fotolia.com

About this Author

Cathleen Calkins is a writer and photographer specializing in writing about travel, adventure, lifestyle, health, fitness and brand identity since 1998. Her work has appeared in "Backcountry," "Telemark Skier" and "The Rotarian" magazines, as well as "LA Weekly," "Las Vegas Review Journal" and a number of adventure travel and marketing websites. She holds a Bachelor of Science in hospitality management from Rochester Institute of Technology.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...#ixzz19uTjXPrH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Would it be too much to ask if the person who will take me kayaking also be able to take me fishing as well?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

subscribing
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

To Kayak or Not

I've been goofing around in the surf with my O.K. Scrambler. I've recently picked up a sit-inside white water kayak, but I'm too aprehensive to bring it into the surf until I learn how to eskimo roll. If anyone knows where I could find some Eskimo Roll classes, or if there is anybody out there willing to give me a lesson, let me know.
Probably the best way to find out if sea kayaking is for you is to go with an outfitter on a day paddle. Many offer trips for raw beginners. Central Coast Kayaks offers the "Tomol Tour for novices, Paddle Sports (805) 899-4925 in Santa Barbara has beginner paddles, Channel Islands Kayak Center has the "Coastline Paddle Experience" others have similar outings that include all rental of a kayak, all the gear you need, and some instruction. See the Outfitters page.
After that you should consider taking an intro class such as Central Coast's Introduction to Paddling to learn more about "strokes, paddling weather, necessary kayaking equipment, personal and group management, launching and rescues."
You can go on to rent kayaks and join in an SBKA.ORG beginner paddle.
Renting gear allows you to try out different types of boats, such as sit-on-tops or sit-inside kayaks, and decide what's right for you if you decide to get your own equipment.
Sit-on or sit-in debate:
*Originally the only kayaks were sit inside. The Eskimos didn't have roto-molding plastic technology, only skins and bones....
*But now new kayakers have a bewildering choice of designs.
Many consider sit-on-top (SOT) kayaks as casual recreational kayaks without the capabilities to handle adverse conditions, but with the bonus of extra width and excellent stability, which is of paramount importance to the casual paddler. The can be cheaper, but often heavier, than sit inside (SI) kayaks.
Sit-inside (SI) kayaks are often more comfortable for longer paddles, carry more gear, and handle rougher weather and therefore tend to be the choice for touring and expedition kayaking. But the SOT designers are working on adding more capability to SOTs all the time.
SI kayaks have less initial stability than the SOT recreational kayaks, yet still have a fair bit of secondary stability, but more importantly, have the capabilities to handle more adverse conditions. Initial stability is the "tippyness" or lack thereof that you first feel when you sit on or in a kayak. Secondary stability is the self righting force that helps a kayak roll back upright when it's leaned farther over by a wave or the kayaker.
The SI paddler needs to learn to wet-exit a kayak and to get back in (called a "rescue" or "re-entry"). These skills are generally aquired in a one-day basic proficiency course plus a little practice. The paddler of a sit-inside kayak is protected from cold water, and wind, which is also a comfort factor. Wind chill can substantially reduce the temperature experienced by the kayaker.
The bottom line is most people start out in SOTs because they are easy and less intimidating to use. Many kayakers stay with SOTs and enjoy recreational paddling, caving, and even some open water trips (SOT paddlers have made the Channel Crossing). Others decide that they want the added seaworthiness and speed of a touring SI and go that way. Some get a specialized river type kayak for ocean surfing:
WHAT TO WEAR

The consensus seems to be to first consider immersion and dangers of hypothermia. According to the Coast Guard, hypothermia at 50 to 60 degrees produces exhaustion or unconsciousness in one to two hours, and the expected survival time is one to six hours. Note that most of us wear type III PFDs that will NOT keep an unconscious person face up, which means that you will likely drown even with the PFD once you loose consciousness. Several kayakers have reported on how quickly (only a few minutes} immersion in cold water (winter So Cal ocean water temps are in the mid 50's) can rob you of strength and judgment.
As to what to wear, a popular choice was a "Farmer John (or Jane)" wetsuit with a paddle jacket top. Avoid cotton as a base layer, which holds water and chills. A surfer's lycra "rash guard" or a Polartec (warmer) base works and can help keep you warm even when wet. Poly pro is also suitable for a base layer. Some paddle jackets are "semi dry" with seals at the neck and wrist. Or you can wear a neoprene jacket as a top but neoprene jackets are restrictive for paddling. Even though they can provide more protection the thicker they are the more resistance and more energy can be wasted fighting the jacket. Don't forget a hat or even a hood in very cold conditions, as a lot of heat is lost from your head.
Sit on top kayakers seem to dress warmer as they are more exposed, likely to get wet, and easier to cool off.. Sit inside kayakers need to make choices balancing safety and comfort. People with little body fat may be more susceptible to hypothermia...
Reasons to dress warmer: Cooler water and air temps, sit on top kayak, surfing, practicing rolls, going out alone, rougher water, learner body type, beginner, safer.
Reasons to dress cooler: Warmer water and air temps, sit inside kayak, calm waters, in a group, expert.
More:
Randell Washburne in his book The Coastal Kayker’s Manual p 53 says: “ In warm-weather, cold-water environments, finding a suit of clothes that provides reasonable immersion protection without cooking you when you paddle is an almost impossible task, and a decision has to be made about the acceptable level of discomfort while paddling versus the degree of risk of capsize, which might force you to swim. If your brace and roll are very strong, you may judge the risk to be minimal and dress more for the air than for the water.
Or, as happened to a few paddlers, one dunking in cold water may convince you to always wear full immersion protection, no matter how hot the weather. As a compromise, you might adjust your clothes toward immersion protection during times of more significant risk, such as exposed crossings.”
Wayne Horodowich suggests: "Practice and perfect your capsize recovery skills so you won't have to spend much time in the water. This will give you more options for what you wear. Your two main goals regarding capsize should be: minimize exposure to the elements and be back in your kayak with kayak being sea worthy again."
Washburne goes on to talk about layering options and risk factors. Even when talking about the colder conditions in the Pacific Northwest, he rejects 1⁄4 inch wet suits, survival suits or mustang suits as too hot and bulky to paddle in. He says, “Many kayakers choose light wet suits as a compromise between paddling and in the water comfort. A 1/8 to 3/16 farmer John (no arms) worn over polypropylene underwear and under pile clothing or a shell provides good weather protection and fairly good immersion protection.”
Derek Hutchinson from England, who paddles all over the world says, in The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking, “..if I know I’m going to get wet, either surfing or demonstrating, I wear a thin, zipperless wet suit Long John over a long sleeved Hele-Hansen “liffa” shirt. On the other hand, if I don’t’ see much likelihood of getting wet and I’m embarking on an extended trip, then I am all for the “old comfort” outfit (polypro underwear, woolen pullovers, baggy trousers and a paddling jacket). Of course, he’s an expert paddler.
Most of what’s written is for sit inside kayakers, sit on top kayakers have different conditions. Their ride tends to be wetter than a person in a sit inside. The sit inside kayaker is wearing a spray skirt, which adds an extra torso layer. And the sit on top kayaker has an easier option to slide off his boat and cool down in the water and then has an easier time getting back on (but practice in a safe place with a partner first!).
On the other hand, the sit inside kayaker may be less likely to unexpectedly end up in the water, in my experience. Kayakers who plan to spend more time in the water may like the additional buoyancy a wet suit provides. Bottom line for kayakers in our area is you have to make your own informed judgment about what to wear based on conditions, your skills, the nature of your paddle, the possibilities for rescue if you end up in the water, and even your body type. Sit on top kayakers may prefer a farmer John or full wetsuit at all times, with an appropriate top, while many sit inside kayakers make the decision to skip the wet suit on hot days, if conditions are benign and he (or she) has partners he trusts to assist. But if they expect to be rolling, surfing, or facing tough conditions they may decide wear a wet suit, even in summer. Paddling in Alaska or the Pacific Northwest or other colder water regions may choose to wear wet suits (or sealed dry suits) at all times, even in a sit inside kayak.
Wayne Horodowich suggests: You may wish to consider an emergency dry bag with extra clothes when you go out with a group. Pile pants, pile pullover and pile cap (you can loose considerable heat through you head) are light but effective. Because of the size this bag it will probably end up strapped to the back deck. Don't store it in your main hatches because you don't really want to open any hatches when on the water unless it is a day hatch.
In your day bag which is kept behind your seat bring a space blanket for wind protection or a garden size plastic bag that can be made into a paddle vest to keep the wind off of the torso.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Sit-on-Top Vs. Sit-Inside Kayaks

kayak image by Greg Pickens from Fotolia.com

Sit-on-Top Vs. Sit-Inside Kayaks

Overview

If you are new to kayaking, choosing the right type of kayak can seem overwhelming. Kayaks come in various widths, lengths and shapes. They are made from many types of materials, including metal, vinyl and fiberglass. Choosing among these features depends largely on how you plan to use the kayak. For example, a kayak built for distance paddling can be difficult to control in rough rapids. Another factor to consider is whether to buy a sit-on-top or a sit-in kayak. Both types have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Definitions

A sit-in kayak features a seat that is inside the kayak, according to Adventure Times Kayaks. There is an opening on top of the kayak for the paddler to climb in and out of the vessel. Some sit-in kayaks have water skirts over the opening to help prevent water from entering the kayak.

A sit-on-top kayak features a seat that is mounted above the hull, rather than inside it. The top of the hull is typically solid, with small holes or channels designed to drain water from the top of the kayak.
Appropriateness

According to the Paddleshack website, sit-on-top kayaks are appropriate for inexperienced paddlers, especially those who have not perfected techniques to avoid rolling the kayak. They are also appropriate for anglers because they are stable when stationary.

Sit-in kayaks are appropriate for more experienced paddlers who need greater control over the vessel. They also work well for avid kayakers who want a long kayaking season, because paddlers can be use them in spring and autumn weather.
Performance

Generally, sit-on-top kayaks are more cumbersome on the water than sit-in kayaks, according to Paddle Shack Kayaks. They are typically wider than sit-in kayaks to compensate for the paddler's higher center of gravity. This can make sit-on-top kayaks slower and more difficult to paddle.

The lower center of gravity of sit-in kayaks typically make them faster and easier to control.
Gear Storage

Because sit-in kayaks offer access to the entire hull, they are better for storing gear without tie-downs. Sit-on-top kayaks, on the other hand, have molded tops, providing less space for storing gear. Also, gear can be protected from the elements in a sit-in kayak but is exposed on a sit-on-top model.
Hauling and Storage

Because the seat is mounted above the hull on a sit-on-top kayak, it takes up more space during hauling and storage than a sit-in kayak. This can make hauling a sit-on-top kayak more difficult, particularly if you are hauling the vessel on top of a passenger car. A sit-on-top kayak is also more difficult to hang on a wall, which can create storage problems if you have a small garage or limited storage space.

MOC Kayaks Large Kayak & Accessory Selection Great Prices & Customer Service www.mockayaks.com
Kayak Buyers Guide Research tons of kayaks in one easy place. Decide what to buy. www.paddling.net
Top 10 Cheap Kayaks Blowout Sale On Cheap Kayaks Season's Latest Cheap Kayaks Cheap-Kayaks.ShopCompare.net
Kayaks On Sale Find New And Used Kayaks On Sale Buy One Today Online. Kayak.ClassifiedAds.Com
Sponsored Links

References

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/17...#ixzz19uiNY0Hn
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Here is an excellent link to kayak help questions and answers.
http://www.kayakhelp.com/ Full of lots of info from buying one to taking care of it!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up yippie! I paddle.

I have two boats now and just started easing back into it last summer.
I whitewater paddled in my twenties and loved it. then one good friday in 1988 I went rafting with a bunch of guide friends on the Occoe. it was flood stage and a very bad idea. I didn't get on white water again until last summer when I hit the river I learn to paddle on.

I picked up (for free ) a Bluehole whitewater canoe this summer and sorta stalled with the repairs on it. the boat is about 20 years old but it's a tough ass boat and was free. here's a pic of what they look like.

I also have an old town kayak like this one.

I wear a pfd like this but am shopping for something better fitting.

and my paddles...I have several paddles depending on where I'm going.
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post: