Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #601
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"Keep Your Eyes Peeled".................

To keep one's eyes open for someone or something. To be on the lookout for something or someone in particular!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #602
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
"Paint The Town Red"...........

To go on a reckless debauch,to be wildly extravagant to go out and enjoy yourself in the evening, often drinking a lot of alcohol and dancing is involved!

Originally, the metaphor applied to bonfires painting the sky or scenery red.
homoe????? Is this regional, as well???

I like your metaphor.....

<<<<~~ Likes the color red.

_____ ______
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #603
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"Out Carousing" ..............

Out partying and having a good time.

Carouse comes from the German gar aus trinken meaning “all out," “drain the cup” or “drink up.” The English adopted the word in the 16th century, and it came to mean “sitting around drinking until closing time.” A noisy drinking party is sometimes called a carouse.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #604
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
her favorite snack

Thanked 21,373 Times in 6,723 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
boys will be boys eva, but "why buy the cow when they can get the milk free?"
my grandmamma was raised on a dairy farm lol..soo your mama and my grandmother must be the same
age?
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #605
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Law Down The Law"..........

To scold someone; to make something very clear to someone in a very stern manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #606
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
"Out Carousing" ..............

Out partying and having a good time.

Carouse comes from the German gar aus trinken meaning “all out," “drain the cup” or “drink up.” The English adopted the word in the 16th century, and it came to mean “sitting around drinking until closing time.” A noisy drinking party is sometimes called a carouse.
I often say that I am Gazelling around the 'universe' when I am.out having fun. Another close Femme friend I've known for more than 30 yrs taught me the saying, because she says it ALL the time.

_____ ______
Old 07-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #607
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Quote:
"Law Down The Law"..........

To scold someone; to make something very clear to someone in a very stern manner.
I believe that this is Generational. My grandmother said it all the time.

_____ ______
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #608
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Quote:
my grandmamma was raised on a dairy farm lol..so your mama and my grandmother must be the same
age?
<<<~~ we had a fairly big dairy farm and no one ever used this turn of phrase, that I can think of.....

_____ ______
Old 07-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #609
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
homoe????? Is this regional, as well???

I like your metaphor.....

<<<<~~ Likes the color red.
No, I don't think region has any influence on this one but I could be wrong!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #610
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
my grandmamma was raised on a dairy farm lol..soo your mama and my grandmother must be the same
age?

My mom was born and resided in Upper Michigan until her death. I guess she would be in her late 90's by now if still alive.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #611
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I often say that I am Gazelling around the 'universe' when I am.out having fun. Another close Femme friend I've known for more than 30 yrs taught me the saying, because she says it ALL the time.
Now see in the mid-west we'd say gallivanting to indicate going around from one place to another in the pursuit of pleasure or entertainment.

Interesting how so many sayings or idiom change from region to region!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #612
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Quote:
Now see in the mid-west we'd say gallivanting to indicate going around from one place to another in the pursuit of pleasure or entertainment.

Interesting how so many sayings or idiom change from region to region!
Jacqueline was born and raised in Montana...... she thought that Gallivanting was masculine. She adopted Gazelling as a feminine expression.

_____ ______
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #613
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Quote:
My mom was born and resided in Upper Michigan until her death. I guess she would be in her late 90's by now if still alive.
Had the pleasure of sitting next to an 92 year old bus rider yesterday. ...... first thing she said to me was, " Is your hair naturally curly?" I told her .... yes. She felt my hair and told me she loved my hair. Her hair was exceptionally board atraight, the type of hair that requires a gifted set of skills to trim and shape up without showing a trace of "cut".

She was so delightful

_____ ______
Old 07-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #614
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Had the pleasure of sitting next to an 92 year old bus rider yesterday. ...... first thing she said to me was, " Is your hair naturally curly?" I told her .... yes. She felt my hair and told me she loved my hair. Her hair was exceptionally board atraight, the type of hair that requires a gifted set of skills to trim and shape up without showing a trace of "cut".

She was so delightful
I SO miss taking public transportation.....I always enjoyed running into unique individuals and the things I might learn from them.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #615
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

.....You're The Apple Of My Eye .....

This turn of phrase means that someone is cherished beyond all others. It also is an metaphor referencing the sensitive part of the eye, the pupil, the most sensitive part of one's body.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appl...ye?wprov=sfla1

_____ ______
Old 07-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #616
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Default Nietzchean Buick's

....Bench Press A Buick...

German philosopher Friedrich Nietzche coined the phrase "What does not kill me makes me stronger.

BUT being strong (er) is relative: Some people are strong because they exercise their muscles, whole others are strong because they exercise their 'faith' on either spiritual or personal practical ways.

Therefore: IF a person survives a potential life threatening situation, people generally believe the experience leaves them stronger.

Hence, saying that one can Bench press a Buick is often synonymous to overcoming traumatic life's issues by one's own ability to be 'strong'.

_____ ______
Old 07-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #617
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Take with a grain of salt"........

This means not to take what someone says too seriously.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #618
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Cut To The Chase".........

To get to the point, leaving out all of the unnecessary details.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #619
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Batten down the hatches"........

Prepare for trouble.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #620
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Break A Leg"................

Do your best and good luck. A lot of actors and actresses tell each other to "break a leg" as they are about to go on stage to perform it is deemed to be good luck.

Folklore is that wishing someone 'good luck' before they go on stage actually brings back luck!
Closed Thread