Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddin' View Post
kale and white bean soup

Ingredients:

•1 lb dried white beans such as Great Northern, cannellini (i used tinned cannellini when in a hurry), or navy
•2 onions, coarsely chopped
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (i use 6, but that's jus' me.)
•5 cups chicken broth
•2 qt water
•1 (3- by 2-inch) piece Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
•2 teaspoons salt
•1/2 teaspoon black pepper
•1 bay leaf (not California)
•1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
•1 lb smoked sausage such as kielbasa (optional, i use spicy kielbasa), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
•8 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
•1 lb kale (preferably lacinato), stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped

•Accompaniment: provolone toasts

Preparation:

-Cover beans with water by 2 inches in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, 1 hour. Drain beans in a colander and rinse.

-Cook onions in oil in an 8-quart pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add beans, broth, 1 quart water, cheese rind, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and rosemary and simmer, uncovered, until beans are just tender, about 50 minutes.

-While soup is simmering, brown sausage (if using) in batches in a heavy skillet over moderate heat, turning, then transfer to paper towels to drain.

-Stir carrots into soup and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in kale, sausage, and remaining quart water and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.

Cooks'notes: Soup is best if made 1 or 2 days ahead. Cool completely, uncovered, then chill, covered. Thin with water if necessary.

•Lacinato is available at farm stands, specialty produce markets, and natural foods stores. Be aware that it has many aliases: Tuscan kale, black cabbage, cavolo nero, dinosaur kale, and flat black cabbage.
This would probably be just as good subbing linguica or the firm chorizo in place of the kielbasa.

-Me

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark." ~ Henri Frederic Amiel
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post: