Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #241
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Not a movie...but I just had to post this.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBd3cKuLPPg"]YouTube- Abbott and Costello Who's On First[/ame]
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #242
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Ok, it's 6am EST, and I haven't been to bed since 5pm last night, and just can't fall asleep. So, I am watching my favorite channel on TV, and being the fanatic I am for classic Hollywood films, the only channel worth watching is TCM (Turner Classic Movies) - in case you didn't know by now.

That said, I must report...it''s been a lovely very late evening/very early morning on TCM - Rogers and Astair, how could it possible get any better?

I just finished watching 'Follow the Fleet' - a favorite since childhood when me and my sister used to watch it on Saturday mornings on 'Million Dollar Movie' in the 60's.

Nothing short of liquid poetry in motion, Rogers & Astair. I am posting one of my favorites: 'Let's Face the Music and Dance'. My only criticism is that I wish it was Astair's voice instead of Nat King Cole's we hear in this vid. This is a montage of several films. I tried finding a sole version of them doing the 'Let's Face the Music...' routine, but couldn't find it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFI0rFFp8j8&feature=related"]YouTube- Fred & Ginger: Lets' face the music and dance[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #243
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

An actress I really like is Jean Arthur.
Really cute, but underrated.
She did some nice work.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #244
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Yes, I love her too. She was great in Frank Capra's 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
An actress I really like is Jean Arthur.
Really cute, but underrated.
She did some nice work.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #245
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Love scene from Ryan's Daughter
considered to be one of the most sensuous on film.
David Lean directed and it had the most beautiful main title.
I saw it at the theatre when it was released in the 70's.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdDMXw42S0"]YouTube- La Figlia di Ryan - D.Lean[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #246
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Never saw it...now, I must. Wasn't Fred Astair in this? Or am I confusing it with another film?

Quote:
Love scene from Ryan's Daughter
considered to be one of the most sensuous on film.
David Lean directed and it had the most beautiful main title.
I saw it at the theatre when it was released in the 70's.

YouTube- La Figlia di Ryan - D.Lean
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #247
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Never saw it...now, I must. Wasn't Fred Astair in this? Or am I confusing it with another film?
no. watch the clip.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #248
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

I did, not good for my equilibrium...

Oh, yes, it was Finian's Rainbow Fred was in...it's the Irish names that confuse me...

Quote:
no. watch the clip.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #249
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Nah, you didn't ruin Louis for me...

Yanno, I always get their names mixed up too, because they're so similar. I just keep reminding myself that it was Wyler Bette Davis had an affair with! It's so much easier for me to remember things when there's a scandal attached to it. lol

I too love the list of Wyler's films you have here, Ol' Jet. I'd be hard put to pick a favorite, but if I needed to, I think it would be The Little Foxes...I have never seen such evil portrayed as the scene where Herbert Marshall is crawling up the stairs trying to get to his heart medicine, while Bette listens without turning to look at his desperate climb - it's all in her eyes!!! Unbelievable!!! That is the most riveting performance without dialogue I've ever seen!!
That seen in The Little Foxes is pretty close to the ice heart of Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, remember Joan gasping and reaching for help? I'm a fan of The Little Foxes because it was written by Lillian Hellman who also wrote Watch on the Rhine and The Children's Hour. I think she was married to Daschiell Hammet (sp)
Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #250
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Hmmm, married to Dashiell Hammett, could be, don't know for sure...

Yes, that scene in The Little Foxes, it is a tour de force for Bette, I think. No dialogue yet so intense and riveting. Reminds me also of the scene in The Letter, where Bette goes to see 'the woman', and she makes Bette stoop down to pick up 'the letter'. The Letter is another phenomenal Davis film, I love it!

Quote:
That seen in The Little Foxes is pretty close to the ice heart of Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, remember Joan gasping and reaching for help? I'm a fan of The Little Foxes because it was written by Lillian Hellman who also wrote Watch on the Rhine and The Children's Hour. I think she was married to Daschiell Hammet (sp)
Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #251
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Hmmm, married to Dashiell Hammett, could be, don't know for sure...

Yes, that scene in The Little Foxes, it is a tour de force for Bette, I think. No dialogue yet so intense and riveting. Reminds me also of the scene in The Letter, where Bette goes to see 'the woman', and she makes Bette stoop down to pick up 'the letter'. The Letter is another phenomenal Davis film, I love it!
Directed by William Wyler who she was having a relationship with at the time. They argued all the time making that movie.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #252
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Yes, I know. But, I think Wyler brought out the best in Davis, don't you think?

Quote:
Directed by William Wyler who she was having a relationship with at the time. They argued all the time making that movie.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #253
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Yes, I know. But, I think Wyler brought out the best in Davis, don't you think?
I guess, she's always a bitch. if he brought that kind of intensity in Davis' nasty characters, my vote would be Jezebel as his best. The scene at the cotillion where she's wearing red and everyone else is in white is riveting. You feel the embarrassment and shame for Henry Fonda.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #254
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Other very best favorites...

How Green Was My Valley - I love this film.
The Corn I Green - Bette Davis version - love it!
My Cousin Rachel - why don't they ever show this on TCM, I've requested it several times
Brief Encounter - the original, directed by David Lean (Jet, you know this is my favorite of all time)
A Man For All Seasons - the story of Thomas Moore and his downfall - great film
The Shoes of the Fisherman - Anthony Quinn as the pope

So many other...I can't think right now.

On March 23, at 8pm EST, TCM will be showing 'Roshomon' a film by Akira Kurosawa. A prominent Japanese director with unbelievable and unprecedented 'vision'. He is amazing, you must see this landmark film. Here's a short syopis of 'Roshomon' in my opinion one of the best films ever made.

The story told by Rashomon is both surprisingly simple and deceptively complex. The central tale, which tells of the rape of a woman (Machiko Kyo) and the murder of a man (Masayuki Mori), possibly by a bandit (Toshiro Mifune), is presented entirely in flashbacks from the perspectives of four narrators. The framing portions of the movie transpire at Kyoto's crumbling Rashomon gate, where several people seek shelter from a pelting rain storm and discuss the recent crime, which has shocked the region. One of the men, a woodcutter (Takashi Shimura), was a witness to the events, and, with the help of a priest (Minoru Chiaki), he puzzles over what really happened, and what such a horrible occurrence says about human nature.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #255
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

You know what else they don't show? The Helen Morgan Story with Anne Blythe and Paul Newman 1957. I requested it, but there's a rights problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #256
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

I know who Helen Morgan was...but I didn't realize TCM never showed that film. It could be there's a 'rights' problem, as you said. That's prob the case with 'My Cousin Rachel', tho I wish they would let us know.

Quote:
You know what else they don't show? The Helen Morgan Story with Anne Blythe and Paul Newman 1957. I requested it, but there's a rights problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #257
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

YES!!! It is intense, isn't it? I always feel so bad for him during those scenes...but Jezebel was just a natural rebel - she was just being herself. The times and people were just not ready for her, that's all.

Quote:
I guess, she's always a bitch. if he brought that kind of intensity in Davis' nasty characters, my vote would be Jezebel as his best. The scene at the cotillion where she's wearing red and everyone else is in white is riveting. You feel the embarrassment and shame for Henry Fonda.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #258
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I know who Helen Morgan was...but I didn't realize TCM never showed that film. It could be there's a 'rights' problem, as you said. That's prob the case with 'My Cousin Rachel', tho I wish they would let us know.
They wrote and said it was a rights problem. I love the movie and it took me years to find the soundtrack on vinyl on RCA and then on CD which is now discontinued. Ray Heindorf did the music (I'm a fan of his) and it's kick ass with Gogi Grant dubbed in for Ann Blythe.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #259
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Speaking of singers...TCM recently showed 'I'll Cry Tomorrow' -not common fare for TCM. I always loved that film, and I love Susan Hayward. She was very good in this. As you know, she died way before her time of a brain tumor. So sad. She was so beautiful...
Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #260
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Speaking of singers...TCM recently showed 'I'll Cry Tomorrow' -not common fare for TCM. I always loved that film, and I love Susan Hayward. She was very good in this. As you know, she died way before her time of a brain tumor. So sad. She was so beautiful...
I have that soundtrack, too. Another one i spent about 20 years looking for and all because of Alex North's musical direction of "Sing You Sinners" Kick ass version!