Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bowflex Tread Climber

http://www.treadclimber.com/trc_microsite/homepage.jsp

Anyone have one? Which one do you have? What do you think of it?

I need to do some indoors exercise this winter and I am not a gym person. I am thinking this is a better choice than a treadmill as supposedly it combines a treadmill/stepper and can be set up to have the same leg movements as an elliptical. I wouldn't buy new...craiglist for me.

In the past I have always just used my bike on a trainer if I wanted to do indoor cardio, so I don't know much about other machines.

With ellipticals is there resistance with the arms? If so, can the resistance be set independently of the leg resistance? Or does the resistance increase in the arms in direct proportion to the leg resistance? Sorry, I have never been on a elliptical.

Other ideas for a machine for cardio at home?

Teach me, fine people!

All ideas/thoughts welcome. I have always been an outdoors exerciser, even in the winter (mountain biking, hiking), so I don't know cardio machines...

Thanks!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Be interested in learning more about this myself.

I am a gym person but am getting weary of the freakin loud music. So something I can do in the peacefulness of my own home would be great.

The ellipticals I use at the gym have arm resistence (poles) but they work in tandem with the pedal resistence.

I prefer treadmills for cardio and nautilus for upper body.

Have been looking around for a good home gym set up but nothing solid yet. I insist on trying stuff before I invest this much money.

Looking forward to hearing about others experiences.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
Be interested in learning more about this myself.

I am a gym person but am getting weary of the freakin loud music. So something I can do in the peacefulness of my own home would be great.

The ellipticals I use at the gym have arm resistence (poles) but they work in tandem with the pedal resistence. I prefer treadmills for cardio and nautilus for upper body.

Have been looking around for a good home gym set up but nothing solid yet. I insist on trying stuff before I invest this much money.

Looking forward to hearing about others experiences.

Kobi, I appreciate your response.

What I highlighted in red I am wondering if this is true of all ellipticals? For the next 6 months, I am not allowed to do any resistance training that would engage my left pectoral muscles, so this was one reason why I was looking at the tread climber instead of the elliptical (plus, since it can be used as a stepper or tread mill only). The one person I spoke to who has an elliptical says that there is NO resistance in the poles, regardless of pedal resistance. I am wondering if it depends on the machine?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
SnackTime

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
UNattainable

2 Highscores

Thanked 13,229 Times in 2,884 Posts
SnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
http://www.treadclimber.com/trc_microsite/homepage.jsp

In the past I have always just used my bike on a trainer if I wanted to do indoor cardio, so I don't know much about other machines.
Hey Dapper,

I had to chuckle when I saw the bike on the trainer comment. Shad and I call it the "vomitron" (LOL) I learned FAST that it is so boring to do this. Although, I do suck it up at times

Quote:
Kobi, I appreciate your response.

What I highlighted in red I am wondering if this is true of all ellipticals? For the next 6 months, I am not allowed to do any resistance training that would engage my left pectoral muscles, so this was one reason why I was looking at the tread climber instead of the elliptical (plus, since it can be used as a stepper or tread mill only). The one person I spoke to who has an elliptical says that there is NO resistance in the poles, regardless of pedal resistance. I am wondering if it depends on the machine?

Thanks.
Hey Dapper,

The elliptical I use at the gym has the the poles that work tandem with the feet AND stationary handles to hold on to. I was restricted from using my left arm when I first started working out so I just held on toe the handles to keep my balance. There are a few different types at the gym I belong to and they all give you an option as to work the arms and legs or just legs.

"There's something to be said for not saying anything"
SnackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnackTime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper, there are quite a few different types of ellipticals. There are some that don't have arms that move at all. This is what I refer to as the evil elliptical in the Reunion Workout Challenge thread. It has arms along the side to use for balance and to measure your heart rate and then two sets of small arms directly in front of you to hold onto or to hang a towel, etc. This specific type (if I think about it, I'll get you the model info when I go to the gym tomorrow) puts ALL of the work on your lower body and works certain parts according to where you grasp the handles. If nothing else, it will make you SWEAT.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Excellent info., Snacktime and Gemme. You gave me what I needed in terms of an elliptical. Sounds as though if I wanted to get one of those I could, even if I can't use my arms right now....great info.

So then, how about the Bowflex tread climber? Who has one????

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
SnackTime

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
UNattainable

2 Highscores

Thanked 13,229 Times in 2,884 Posts
SnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Excellent info., Snacktime and Gemme. You gave me what I needed in terms of an elliptical. Sounds as though if I wanted to get one of those I could, even if I can't use my arms right now....great info.

So then, how about the Bowflex tread climber? Who has one????
I would LOVE to have one myself

Does that count? lol

"There's something to be said for not saying anything"
SnackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackTime View Post
I would LOVE to have one myself

Does that count? lol
Nope.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Bump! Still wanting to hear from someone who has a tread climber!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper, I took a peek at the elliptical I was talking about earlier. It's a Cybex 750A.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CYBEX-750A-Arc-Trainer/dp/B002VL95N4"]Amazon.com: CYBEX 750A Arc Trainer: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

As you can see, it's pretty big, so if you were looking for something that would break down or fold up, this won't work. There's also a 750AT model.

I hope this helps.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

Thanked 1,644 Times in 485 Posts
shadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Bump! Still wanting to hear from someone who has a tread climber!
Dapper, I did some serious research into the TreadClimber a couple of years back because it intrigued me. I detest treadmills,steppers,ellipiticals, etc but the thought of a combo of all three did make me look twice. All the reviews I have read say the same thing...."It works for weight/fat loss, but it's loud and it breaks a lot" I had a Bowflex Ultimate 2 weight machine at one time,and I loved it. Their customer service is second to none but you either have to install replacement parts for the TreadClimber yourself,or pay their service people to come out and do it. The issues seem to be with either the treadles or the belt. They seem to wear out rather quickly for such an expensive machine. When I do use an elliptical at my school gym it gives you the option of using the arm handles to work your upper body. One thing that I found that works for me is to push my feet down hard into the cradles while working my arms on the handles. This increases resistance AND provides an isometric workout for your quads. Hope this helps!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Dapper, I took a peek at the elliptical I was talking about earlier. It's a Cybex 750A.

Amazon.com: CYBEX 750A Arc Trainer: Sports & Outdoors

As you can see, it's pretty big, so if you were looking for something that would break down or fold up, this won't work. There's also a 750AT model.

I hope this helps.
Thank you, Gemme. I appreciate you taking the time to write this down/send me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows papa View Post
Dapper, I did some serious research into the TreadClimber a couple of years back because it intrigued me. I detest treadmills,steppers,ellipiticals, etc but the thought of a combo of all three did make me look twice. All the reviews I have read say the same thing...."It works for weight/fat loss, but it's loud and it breaks a lot" I had a Bowflex Ultimate 2 weight machine at one time,and I loved it. Their customer service is second to none but you either have to install replacement parts for the TreadClimber yourself,or pay their service people to come out and do it. The issues seem to be with either the treadles or the belt. They seem to wear out rather quickly for such an expensive machine. When I do use an elliptical at my school gym it gives you the option of using the arm handles to work your upper body. One thing that I found that works for me is to push my feet down hard into the cradles while working my arms on the handles. This increases resistance AND provides an isometric workout for your quads. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info. Yes, I have a bowflex for strength training also, and found it to be a very solid machine. That is why the tread climber is a strong consideration for me (b/c it is made by Bowflex).

I'll have to look for reviews too, was just hoping to find someone here who has one. Thanks so much for the info.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: