Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Kobi? Does Joan Williams supply footnotes, and possibly an indexed appendice in her book? I also wonder too, if you don't mind sharing, is Williams neutral, non-partisan in her views and as well, is she a current Sociology professional? I ask because I am not familiar with any of her works. And thanks for your post! : )

Joan C. Williams is Distinguished Professor of Law and Founding Director of the Center of Work Life Law at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Described as having "something approaching rock star status” by the New York Times, she has played a central role in documenting how work-family conflict affects working-class families and in reshaping the debates over women’s advancement for the past quarter-century.

I never heard of her either. After this book, I am looking forward to reading her other book - Unbending gender : why family and work conflict and what to do about it.

There are 30 pages of footnotes to browse through.

Neutral and non partisan? Hm. That sounds like you are asking me if she is using data to push for one political viewpoint over another.

I didnt see or feel that. I saw a new and refreshing way of looking at data and leaving it up to the reader to form their own conclusions as to what resonates with them and why.

There are three things that stand out to me. The first is the way she shows commonalities across ethnicity as well as specific and unique differences when it comes to looking at something from a class perspective.

Secondly, she illustrates in a simple way as to how the social contract between employers and employees has been radically changed since WW2 , how the demise of labor unions (class specific) has taken a toll on middle America, and globalization has led to a different approach in policy. All add up to significant losses for a significant amount of people.

Third, and most importantly to me, is showing the assumptions and presumptions people make, from the top on down which skews reality, and creates and perpetuates divisions.

If you read it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. This is a theme I am seeing more and more in contemporary writings.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading