How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Thanks for the link. Well the headline says it all and the media is still its typical horrible job covering the case. Does anyone know about the 2009 law in Texas regarding birth certificates and marriage? Its mentioned in the very last paragraph of the article.

Melissa
i'm pretty sure that is the law that states that a person in texas is the sex that they are biologically born with, and that chromosones are the deciding factor. regardless of srs surgery, name & gender changes etc. which is pretty damning and now this case brings a lot of fear to the trans population of TX.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #122
DMW

How Do You Identify?:
FTM/Male (Will 14)
Relationship Status:
Caught An Angel and she doesn't lie!

Thanked 1,861 Times in 614 Posts
DMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST Reputation

First, I recall this happening, i have not read all of the posts here.
Second, i wonder what the final outcome of this case was? Hoping that i
make the time to find out.
Lastly, Always make a 2nd beneficiary(that is not your partner obviously) on the life insurance policy. Someone whom is trustworthy to do what you want and to speak for you when you are
no longer here. Always make a 2nd beneficiary on a 401k, and a pension if
your company allows same sex or fill in the blank(human beings).
Hopefully, the 2nd beneficiary can be a sibling that you trust and outlives you.
There is No Way a court can refute that. None that i know of anyway.

(One time...i purposely put my younger sibling as the primary beneficiary with legal documation
that sibling was to follow out my wishes. Because, legally, that is what i had to do inorder for
my girlfriend to get what i had.)

Also, every state's laws are different. Even heterosexual couples, that are not married, get the shaft. But, at least they have a legal choice to marry in all states.

To comment on the case...i am speechless for now. Other than...absolute disgust with how humans treat other humans.

Last edited by DMW; 08-03-2012 at 12:31 PM.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DMW For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #123
DMW

How Do You Identify?:
FTM/Male (Will 14)
Relationship Status:
Caught An Angel and she doesn't lie!

Thanked 1,861 Times in 614 Posts
DMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
This also goes for joint owned property and bank accounts. Insurance with a named beneficiary does not count and if there was a will then the property would be divided according to the will. The judge has frozen everything (but technically, as far as I can figure out, if Nikki was named beneficiary of a life insurance policy it should not have been frozen). Also, as far as I know, bank accounts are not covered by a will. You have to name a beneficiary on the account and through your bank. So I'm not sure why her bank accounts were frozen unless there was no named beneficiary on the accounts.

The inlaws are going after everything claiming the marriage is not valid. They are not content with the 50% but want the lot. On the upside for couples, if there is a will then this could ward off what is happening to Nikki because contract law will take over. We also read somewhere, and this is for couples, that it is good to have a witnessed letter in your documents stating that the husband or wife is fuly aware her/his partner is transgendered/transexual. You have to have two witnesses to this letter. I would also suggest having a lawyer draw up the letter. This can help if, again, family comes along and argues the deceased spouse did not know and was defrauded.

As usual, gay, lesbian, trans people and partners have to have all kinds of documents to protect the relationship. And we have to think of any possible eventualities that might happen and try to ward them off in case they do.

From what I've learned, a will is your best protection. I've also learned about something called right of surviorship when it comes to property. If both names are on a property make sure you set it up as right of survivorship this way, when one of you passes away, the other automatically gets the property and the property does not have to go through probate.

Melissa
I don't know how i could go on and not find out about the ending to this.
Maybe i did and moved on. Never got to spend the time to read up more on it. I do remember seeing Kristen on youtube and following her updates.
Wills really are the best thing to have to protect all property assets.
Always include 2 beneficiaries. That is what i have learned.
Another important factor is to have a witness(not just primary or secondary beneficiary) or two at the signing. And yes, a Will doesn't control a bank account. A separate contract has to be drawn up at the bank.

So tragic what people have to go through just to live.
I wanna thank everyone who voiced their opinions and support etc.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMW For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #124
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

The 13th US District Court of Appeals is going to make a based on the arguments submitted for evidence, and will not be hearing oral arguments. This is the current information that I have, as of last Wensday. Nikki is planning on taking this to the US Supreme Court if necessary, and it appears that it will be needful.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #125
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

I talked to Nikki briefly last friday, but didn't get a chance to confirm this info any further. Sorry. The info that I have and posted is from a Facebook post of her's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #126
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

As of a court document dated 3 Aug 12, the US 13th District Court will now be hearing oral arguments on this case. Nikki just posted this info today, with a copy of the court document on Facebook.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #127
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

I beg everyone's pardon. This case is still in the Texas judicial system, at present. It is the Texas 13th District Court of Appeals that the case is at now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #128
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

This link is from a blog that a member of the Houston TG community wrote. She is also a Director of the Trangender Foundation of America (Houston). http://www.cristanwilliams.com/b/201...rriage-update/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post: