Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation
Question FTM's and Transitioning

Where are you in your transition?
How long have you been on T?
How much T do you take on a bi weekly or monthly basis?
How does your body react to your shot intake?
Are you pre or post op top and or bottom?

Where and Who did your surgeries? Help others out. If you have questions, ask them here.

Please no labeling here. Anyone can conversate, but please keep the topic and Questions.

This is not a debating thread. Thanks
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton View Post

Where and Who did your surgeries? Help others out. If you have questions, ask them here.

Please no labeling here. Anyone can conversate, but please keep the topic and Questions.

Well, hard to say where I am in transition since we all transition throughout life. But, so far, I'm about year 2 of a medical transition.

Been on T for about a year and bit.

I take T on a bi-weekly basis, 1cc (remember that for different people the amount is different).

Uh.. body says "OW! Stop stabbing me!" Other than that, seems to be reacting well (e.g., beard growth, shifting of weight, deepening of voice, calming).

Pre-all surgery. Plan is top surgery. Haven't figured out who first as I want to get funds together before heading that way.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

I start T around January. I don;t require top surgery
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Where are you in your transition? I started transition in August of 1998

How long have you been on T? I started T in February of 1999

How much T do you take on a bi weekly or monthly basis? 100mg once a weekHow does your body react to your shot intake? I don't really notice any physical differences - except maybe a slight headache the day after

Are you pre or post op top and or bottom? Post op top (2004) and partially done, bottom - hysto in 2000

Where and Who did your surgeries?
Hysto at University of Iowa Hospital, and I can't name my top surgeon - had it done in Rochester, MN but the surgeon doesn't do FTM top surgeries as a rule and doesn't want to be named
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SelfMadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
PapaC

How Do You Identify?:
FTM-Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

PapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST Reputation

Where are you in your transition? Made the final decision in June 2001, but figured it out more or less in late 1997. 'Medical' transition since Dec 2003. I'm 38 yrs old.

How long have you been on T? 6 years (crikey time flies)

How much T do you take on a bi weekly or monthly basis? Technically, I'm supposed to take it bi weekly. 1.25 ml/dose delatestdryl (enanthate 200mg/ml) so I guess that works out to be 450mg/mth. After initial low dose trials, my endo started me on 600mg/mth. I dropped 100 lbs between 2004/05 and begged her to drop it down. The next endo I see I may see what he suggests.... I'd like to go lower.

How does your body react to your shot intake? Can you tell I have a love/hate relationship with "T" ? I haven't had a body 'reaction' in years, although I noticed in 2007 swimming on "T" really helped develop shoulder muscles more than what was happening in 2004/5. I'll let you know how it's going as I get back into that daily habit. As for what it's done.... I've become a hairy bear, to the 'envy' of pals but I doubt they want the quantity of hair I got. I've recently discovered a single silver hair on my shoulder: signs that I'll be a 'silverback' one day (doesn't that sound a little gay? -- go gay hairy bears - just sayin') One thing is for sure: if you use it, you notice it. Exercising on T has its advantages, I can't deny that. The rest is all done. I don't count chest hairs, chin hairs and I've almost forgotten what I used to sound like.

Are you pre or post op top and or bottom? At this time, my obesity prevents me from going forward with surgical options, but I'm at peace with that.

Surgeries (top and hysto) when I'm ready will be done in British Columbia, hysto 100% covered and top partially covered by health plan since it's pretty obvious I'm well past the requisite 2 year RLE (real life experience) that the province requires for partial or full medical coverage.

-PapaC
PapaC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PapaC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

It's funny... In response to the first question, I feel that "only 16 months" and "post-transition" are both very true responses.

It feels so early in, yet I feel very at peace and as if things have really leveled out.

I started talking myself *out* of transitioning about 3 or 4 years ago, and I started T 16 months ago. I inject 100 mg/ml each week.

The biggest physical reaction I detect post-injection is a headache anywhere from 24-48 hours after. It sucks.

My top surgery was done 2 years, 8 months ago by a plastic surgeon in Toronto; and my hysto was done by an amazing GYN here in Nevada just 6 months ago. I do have plans for some further bottom work, but that's another year or two down the road.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation

Im happy for you, i remember so many odd years ago when you first moved to DC.

You look great and you look happy.

I started transitioning april of 2007, probably about the time things started to fall apart here, the baby was due in august, i figured after my hysto it was time for T, so i have been taking 1/2 cc every 2 weeks for 31 months. I will get re evaluated and get some blood work done in jan.

But i like where i am.

Thanks to everyone for responding so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
It's funny... In response to the first question, I feel that "only 16 months" and "post-transition" are both very true responses.

It feels so early in, yet I feel very at peace and as if things have really leveled out.

I started talking myself *out* of transitioning about 3 or 4 years ago, and I started T 16 months ago. I inject 100 mg/ml each week.

The biggest physical reaction I detect post-injection is a headache anywhere from 24-48 hours after. It sucks.

My top surgery was done 2 years, 8 months ago by a plastic surgeon in Toronto; and my hysto was done by an amazing GYN here in Nevada just 6 months ago. I do have plans for some further bottom work, but that's another year or two down the road.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

I'm actually "post transition", if you want to call it that, though I continue to grow and develop in just about every aspect of my personal life. Transition is a process for me and not a "destination".

I've been on T for nearly 3 years now, and it's had a profound effect on me, both physically and emotionally. T has made me much calmer and focused, overall, and my body seems to really have adjusted to finally having what it should have always had. I'm much more patient and at peace with myself and it's helped that my family, friends and coworkers have really tried to be accepting, even if they don't totally understand it all. I guess I should say here that I did the legal name change in June of 2008, so all that is good, too.

I (self) inject 300mg., or 1.5cc's of Testosterone Cypionate every other week and I have my labs drawn every 6 months to make sure my T levels, along with my lipids and other blood levels, are in healthy ranges...and they are.

As far as surgeries, I am post op for both chest surgery, which I had this last May (Dr. P. James Voloshin of Newport Beach, CA, who was simply *excellent*!!), and I had a total hysto back in '93 for other non-related reasons. The past 6 months have been a process of getting all of my legal gender markers changed and being finally happy in my own skin. So, I would consider myself to be now fully and legally "post transition".

Hope this helps.

~Theo~
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Thanks Theo
Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

[QUOTE=theoddz;7504]
T has made me much calmer and focused, overall, and my body seems to really have adjusted to finally having what it should have always had. I'm much more patient and at peace with myself
~Theo~

{{{theo}}} just wonderful for you.

belle
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
I get the post injection headaches too - it sucks!!
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfMadeMan View Post
I get the post injection headaches too - it sucks!!
It recently occurred to us (the lady and me) that I have not gotten my "Tuesday headache" for the past 3 injections (past 3 weeks). We inject on Sunday mornings, and I had been getting a headache the Tuesday following like clockwork.

Perhaps I'm moving past them altogether???
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

I'm subscribing to this thread because I begin the first step, which is therapy, this week. I have a doctor who will be administering my T.

A cool thing happened, my therapist lives out of state, but is licensed here in Georgia as well as another state. My therapy sessions will be done on Skype video, so I don't need to leave the house. And my insurance will cover my sessions.

Regarding therapy, there are some things I waiver on, I won't lie to you. I had a chance to talk to an FTM friend of mine who has gone as far as bottom surgery. His transition fell into place for him with little reprecussions, socially and vocationally.

My transition is less complicated because I don't require top surgery, and I'm grateful for that. But I am concerned about my family's reaction. I come from a large, traditional Catholic family. So, you can imagine. I've already had a fist fight with an uncle who hates my sexuality.

Anyway, on with it....
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
curlyredhead

How Do You Identify?:
Female to Male "Straight"
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Taken

curlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputation
Default Journey continues!

Where are you in your transition? I started to consider transitioning in 2002
How long have you been on T? I started hormones in Dec. 2004
How much T do you take on a bi weekly or monthly basis? I take a 1/2 cc every week it varies from 7-10 days depends on how I feel.
How does your body react to your shot intake? I sometimes get a warming sensation in my body but other then that, nothing out of the ordinary.
Are you pre or post op top and or bottom? I have had my chest surgery, and my hystorectomy. I hope to in the near future before I am 40 have my lower surgery.

Where and Who did your surgeries? My chest surgeon is the well known Dr. Peter Raphel in Plano, TX
curlyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curlyredhead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Okay so I was trying to figure out the best place to post this.

I may actually be in a situation to have my top surgery done soon.

I'm wondering what questions are imperative to ask.

I know that I really am interested in the recovery time and when i'll be able to do what but beyond that it's like I just want to give a dr the money and say go for it. I know I need to do more then that so ....

What do you wish you had asked the dr?
What are the top 5 questions you would ask?
What are any other things I should bring up?
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oopster View Post

I know that I really am interested in the recovery time and when i'll be able to do what but beyond that it's like I just want to give a dr the money and say go for it. I know I need to do more then that so ....

Congrats! I hope this happens for you!!

First off, make sure the surgeon knows exactly what you're looking for....*male* chest reconstruction. It's not just as simple as tissue removal. If the surgeon does quite a few "FTM top surgeries" then this shouldn't be an issue.

Get the logistics......the surgeon's timeline or way of doing things. Find out exact times, where you'll be, how long you'll be there, follow-up procedures, etc...

Get a recommendation from the surgeon for supplements you can/should take in advance and what you can do to prepare. For example, I loaded up on vitamin C so I wouldn't get sick.......took something to help minimize bruising........got good and hydrated in advance, etc... All those little things really help with how you'll feel post-op.

I think having two or three weeks (more is better) post-op where you can lie around and do little to nothing is a good plan. And I think another four or five weeks after that of low activity where you're not exerting your upper body in anyway is also a good idea. Planning ahead for that kind of time off for yourself is pretty critical.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. It's an exciting adventure, but you'll definitely need a little help along the way.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

This is all new to me... Im still trying to make a decision to transition or not to transition fully. I know my mind is male. Everything about me is male. Except my body. I know that I wanna have top surgery. Is any of this normal?
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutchmistie View Post
This is all new to me... Im still trying to make a decision to transition or not to transition fully. I know my mind is male. Everything about me is male. Except my body. I know that I wanna have top surgery. Is any of this normal?
Sure. Some FTMs don't do surgery, some do just top surgery and some do all.

As long as it fits with what you are comfortable, that's all that matters. And it can change later on in life as well.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Sure. Some FTMs don't do surgery, some do just top surgery and some do all.

As long as it fits with what you are comfortable, that's all that matters. And it can change later on in life as well.
Thank You
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

hey Oopster-

you may want to discuss what your surgery options are. there are different methods being used depending on chest size, chest sag and also what kinda body fat is being held in area. this is when the you really gotta be clear on
what your sculptured expectation is.make sure they are writing down what you are saying and that you know everybody is clear on whats being performed. i have been given instructions by my therapist to talk to 3 different doctors. i will leave a link to one doctor i have had a consult with. the website has a bunch of before and afters. it also explains the different procedures he uses and compares them.

http://www.drgarramone.com/procedures-transgender2.html

here is another link that will get more detailed about the same options

http://ftmichael.transboys.info/topsurgeryinfo.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oopster View Post

weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post: