Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing

Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing PLEASE do not use this forum for ugliness or nasty posts.

View Poll Results: flip a qoin?
yes.... 8 14.81%
no.... 6 11.11%
depends on person /situation 40 74.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,108 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lessons Learned: Would You or Would You Not.....

(let's see if I can get a poll started without any phone pad typos or foot -in-mouth statements)..... If you were approached by a friend and asked "what do you know about [this person]?..... Would you answer? ...Do you feel obligated to answer a trusted friend? .....Are you quick to answer or do you refrain from getting "in the middle"?...... disclaimer: over the last few months, I've been asked that question by several different people about several other different persons, all non-related situations. I struggle answering because I feel it's gossiping.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I know what people say about me. It's not nice.. I think there are way too many people that are quick to judge and haven't a CLUE as to what they are talking about. In my case, if they "really knew me" they would know I'm far from it.

I try my best not to say a whole lot for the fact that if the two people start dating and if I said horrible stuff about the person and then those two people stay together for a long time WHO LOOKS LIKE THE FOOL? That would be me because you know the person I said it to will eventually tell them. So I try to stay out of it as much as I can.
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Whenever asked such a thing, I am always on guard....even if it is a trusted friend asking.

I always want to know 3 things. 1. what do they really want to know? 2. why do they want to know it? 3. why are they asking me in particular?

Their answers help me decide how to answer them or avoid answering them. Anything I choose to share is based on my own personal experience with someone and always with a positive spin (karma stuff ya know).

This, to me, is just sharing facts of my own experience. I dont consider this gossiping.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I would answer honestly but as kind as I could.

For example, let's say I have a friend John and my other friend Regina asked me about John. I might say he's a good writer, funny and nice but he does like to drink.

*Note* I'm making these people and issues up for the sole sake of the question.

Why would I tell someone something like that? Well, maybe Regina has been in an alcohol-fueled violent relationship before and maybe John gets mean when he drinks. I would be doing what I felt was in the best interest of Regina by mentioning that to her. Did I say he's a raging alcoholic? No. I was referencing something that I knew would be a major trigger for her if that were the case.

Is it gossiping? Yes. Every time anyone says anything about anyone else, it's gossip. We all gossip. I think the intention plays heavily in situations like this.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

I am usually very particular about who/how I make my own opinions of people. I tend not to listen to other peoples gossip about how people are, I just get to know them on my own. We are all different, to some degree, in different situations. So I try to refrain from making an opinion about someone until I get to know them myself.

When asked about someone. I'm honest. I am also extremely honest is pointing out that what I am saying is ONLY MY OPINION. I also don't relay what I've heard about someone from a third party, unless it is the same conclusion that I have come to. I only keep it to what I have observed.

But I openly admit I am a HUGE gossip.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Having been in both positions. (really is there a person who has NEVER asked another persons opinion about someone??? really????)

I like Gemma's approach - both in giving and receiving.

I've had my best friend have an all out feud with someone and yet I befriended that person despite that.

I'll listen to what you have to say - and then I'll use MY brain to see what I think. But I do appreciate being warned that XYZ enjoys smoking pot... because I have issues with that and would probably wonder why a friend failed to mention that fact to me if they knew my issues with the subject matter.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

This situation always feels set up for failure to me.

Do they really want the truth as you personally see it and have personally experienced it?

They may not really be asking for truth, just validation of what they have already decided to do or what they want to keep on doing.

I would only share what my personal experience was- not gossip.

I remember playing the "telephone game" as a kid and what the last person heard was never what the first person said.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I wouldn't be having this conversation at all with someone I did not know very well, and who did not know me very well.

I would share information about someone I knew well, but not someone with whom I had merely interacted a few times online.

I would share my impressions of someone I interacted with online, but I would be clear that I had never met the person and that I was just relating what I knew of them superficially.

I would not filter what I shared based on my personal interpretation of what I thought that person needed to hear. That's none of my business.

In most cases, if someone wants to know something specific, I usually encourage them to ask the other person directly.

But, if I have concrete first hand knowledge of behavior which I believe to be dangerous to others, I would certainly take the risk of sharing that information, regardless of whether I had been asked, and regardless of the potential fall out.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
BBW. Unique femininity that does not encompass the western paradigm.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:
Single, Happy, not Desparate or Looking, but Open to Possibilities...

Thanked 6,035 Times in 1,617 Posts
1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
I tend not to listen to other peoples gossip about how people are, I just get to know them on my own. We are all different, to some degree, in different situations. So I try to refrain from making an opinion about someone until I get to know them myself.

When asked about someone. I'm honest. I am also extremely honest is pointing out that what I am saying is ONLY MY OPINION. I also don't relay what I've heard about someone from a third party, unless it is the same conclusion that I have come to. I only keep it to what I have observed.

A
This is me to a T! I take each person on their own merit....should the gossip turn out to be true, then I at least know this from my own experiences.

I don't always get this courtesy back and some have admitted they were wrong about me and apologised.

1QuirkyKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

I would answer, but let them know it's what I know and how the person to be and it's just my opinion. I don't feel obligated, I'll just do it if someone asks my opinion. If it's a really good, close friend and I see them getting close to someone I know is sketchy I will tell them how I feel even if they don't ask because I'm a friend and I care about them and if they get hurt. I don't see it as getting in the middle. The person can get to know them for themself and usually they do. What I refrain from doing is staying out of drama and judging people before I get to know them for myself.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Sweet; Slowly, with time, You actually will achieve that zenlike feeling of existence that is of the utmost importance: YOU TRULY WON'T GIVE A ****.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

My answer would depend on the parties involved. If a close, trusted friend were to ask the question, they are more likely to get an in-depth answer. If the asker was someone I barely knew or someone I am unsure of, they are going to get factual answers only.

Most of the people I interact with are in my lifestyle community. Since I am probably considered to be a leader in this community, I have to often stay neutral/unbiased etc. My reputation took years to earn and I will not throw it away on anything that could be perceived as gossip.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Honey

How Do You Identify?:
big femme heart..... in a tight girlie package
Preferred Pronoun?:
just call me Honey
Relationship Status:
Playin' 4 keeps with Tomboi1982

Honey Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST ReputationHoney Has the BEST Reputation

I think too we must ask of ourselves and others- Is this who that person IS .or is this who that person is with ME. Also, ppl change over time...I know I am not the same person today that I was 10 yrs ago...ppl change , learn, process and evolve...If they are doing it correctly.....
Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Honey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

In our community it is important that we be able to ask for references or know that someone is who they say they are. I think being able to ask a few questions and get references is a way to stay safe.

Beyond that, I agree that we all have different interactions with different people and react really differently to different people. Also, as humans we grow and change. Just because someone used to drink a lot, or used to be a jerk does not mean they still are...or that they will be a jerk to you.

People act really differently when they are having all their buttons pushed. I myself act really differently depending on how I am treated. We ALL do.

So I would answer the question but make sure they know that it's my opinion and reaction to this person, and that their experience might be different.

(shhhhhh!!!! Strappie has an icing addiction shhhhhhh!!!! gossip alert)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Refrain!! Make your own assumptions. Everyone has different perspectives. I have heard crap about people before I met them, and they ended up being amazing folks!

But! If you hear they might be dangerous or something like that... I would look into it.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I've been one who asked.

Honestly, I would like to know if there is something serious I should be aware of....and I'd also like to know if the "reference" is a good one too.

I recently asked about someone....not randomly or haphazardly or in general...but someone that I knew actually KNEW the person I was asking about...and someone whose opinion I trusted.

I'm very glad I did.

Now....would I reach out and offer my opinion without being asked? No. My feeling is that, if someone wants to know, they will ask me.

Would I give an opinion about someone I didn't know well? No, I'd decline.

Would I give an honest, factual account of someone that I did know well? Yep.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Recently a friend sent me a Facebook message asking if an ex of mine was "safe" because she was meeting him for lunch after meeting him through my Facebook. I have thought they would be a great match for some time but a mutual friend mentioned this woman tears men to shreds. And so I responded - "way safer than you! But seriously I'm not sure what your definition of "safe" is, but he won't rape or kill you or anything and he's a pretty good conversationalist."

She found this funny and said he was a "sweetie" but I think it might have been a one time meeting, alas. They really would make an excellent couple.

I will talk people up, but I'm really trying not to speak badly about people or share info that's not mine to share.

The older I get the more I realize we all have flaws, and even if I have had a bad experience with a person, that doesn't mean another person would. When I was single, I was warned about pretty much every person I flirted with by some person or other, and most of those warnings never applied. The warnings I should have heeded were the ones who warned me about themselves.

For people I consider premeditatedly predatory, I prefer not to speak about them either. Besides, anybody with healthy boundaries and google can find a list of red flags and be willing to utilize it.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

OMG I deal with this all the time! My son and the baby mama who is like my daughter. But I flat out tell them both (or anyone else in the same situation) I will listen, offer my opinion but I don't get involved by exchanging information. I make it very clear that I will not be in the middle and the first sign of drama my ass becomes distant until the work it out.

The ONLY time I engage in any kind of gossip is with a very close girlfriend and that's just how we roll. There are very few people in my life I'll carry on this way. I'm all about girl code. If someone breaks up, a couple and they were both friends I must always take girlfriends side. I am friendly with the other just at an arm's distance. I would never hook up, flirt or be with a girlfriends ex no matter how many years they were apart. Girlfriend code is sacred to me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
chefhmboyrd

How Do You Identify?:
man
Preferred Pronoun?:
beef
Relationship Status:
Uncle Daddy Snap

Thanked 2,845 Times in 898 Posts
chefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default honesty......

as long as you are being forthright and truly have someone's best interest in mind, one should refrain from any overtly negative comments. When in doubt, bow out. Something like, " i don't know much about them" which is usually true, will suffice in any situation.

@

Hi Ya'll
Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,108 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting ...very interesting. I'm learning and absorbing a lot from everyone's responses and positive dialog. Can't thank you enough. It always helps to see multiple sides of a question or issue and be open to suggestions or new ways of thinking.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post: