morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS Butch View Post
I knew there was a reason I wasn't your type Hehehehe!
... uh really now..... lol

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #102
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Can someone define "old school" butch for me? I think it may mean different things to different people. If you ID that way or are partnered with someon who ID's that way tell me why.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #103
Rope

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
polyamorous

Thanked 1,279 Times in 212 Posts
Rope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST Reputation

Plenty of butches here in the Oakland and San Francisco area.

Old School butch I believe refers to a time when butches "had to" wear ties or masculine clothing and identify as masculine. Today, butches come in all variations on a theme-thus faggy butches, sporty butches, butches into butches, butches into femmes, queer identified butches, butches that prefer he or hy and butches that prefer she, some that feel predominantly masculine or female, some that id more trans or trans, and everything else anyone can come up with as a identifier for themself, in short, more fluid.

I've also heard that old school butch referred to a time when butches had manners, i.e., opened the car door for a femme etc. But as everyone knows <g> good manners never go out of style and are not from an 'old' or bygone era.

Rope--

Rope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #104
NorCalStud

How Do You Identify?:
gaea's Daddy and Fiance
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ours
Relationship Status:
Engaged with gaea:-)

Thanked 1,465 Times in 359 Posts
NorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST Reputation
Default No

Imo. They are not a dying breed; they are a tired breed. I lived with a woman years ago who made osof a religion. She wanted me on point on all that and I will be there if the same is returned. If that lil shit didnt try and top from the bottom and skate thru all her osof committments. Part of my job became reminding her to nurture me...childhood neglect for her...again in My opinion you need similiar value systems...good division of labor skills...money...and an ability to roll your sleeves up cause it takes more than love. I think it works beautifully for dating and rarely for living together especially the older we get..just sayin.

Che
NorCalStud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NorCalStud For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #105
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

Library Girl, there are plenty of young butches in the IE, just down below from you. I see 1 almost everytime I go out in my small town.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galahad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #106
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
Can someone define "old school" butch for me? I think it may mean different things to different people. If you ID that way or are partnered with someon who ID's that way tell me why.
Hm, I'd be curious to know as well. The only 'old school butch' I ever dated assaulted me when I didn't do as I was told. I'm sure that's not what anyone means, but it's sure put me off the phrase.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #107
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I've always associated 'old school' with manners, courtesy, politeness and the tie and suit wearing kind of butch.....which would describe me.

I decidedly do not ever want 'old fashioned' attached to me. I associate 'old fashioned' with that fairy tale of the 50's where the man (butch) went to work and the woman (femme) stayed home and cooked, cleaned and was all made-up and pretty with supper on the table when the man came home.

I'm with Rope about old school. Manners should never be out of style and we have plenty of butches of all stripes in the Bay Area. You will see a bunch of us at our Spring Fling social on May 12. Femmes will be there also.

Maybe the problem is some femmes are looking for a very particular kind of butch and are missing all the rest of us that are right in front of your eyes.....shrug.....
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #108
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

and one more thing.............

I have never had a femme tell me I was not butch enough. The reverse is true for me. I have had more than one femme tell me I needed to tone it down a bit.....I was too butch for them, especially to take home to the parental units. They were embarrassed when I got called Sir also.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #109
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i can't imagine meeting a butch who is 'too butch' for me. i'm sad that so much butch policing goes on in our communities. i've been on the end of some pretty painful femme policing, and that's not exactly the same but i know it was hurtful for me. i love all flavors of butch and i am grateful for the different ways y'all express yourselves. it would be a sad world if all the butches and femmes were exactly the same way!
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #110
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

I've had Femmes tell me I'm not butch enough for them.
It stings a little, but I end up being cheerful, because we clearly would never have worked out anyway.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #111
Rope

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
polyamorous

Thanked 1,279 Times in 212 Posts
Rope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST Reputation

One of my first femme g/f's in my twenties--told me I was too butch. Where she really crossed the line was asking me to wear lacy panties because 'she did that for me'...it ended very soon after that request.

Rope--

Rope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rope For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #112
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
It stings a little, but I end up being cheerful, because we clearly would never have worked out anyway.
Ha! A Femme friend just informed me that it is 'not very butch' to admit that I've been told I'm not butch enough!
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #113
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I think that as with all things, evolution happens. Fluidity is an amazing thing, exploring the facets of identity can be life affirming, and understanding human nature is an ongoing journey. Coming to self can either be an adventure or a weight. So I choose to see the diversity that is Butch, and in that one word, a multitude of expression. Butch is not dead, it is alive and well.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #114
bkisbutchenuff
PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Simply...NO! Butch is alive and well!
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #115
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
and one more thing.............

I have never had a femme tell me I was not butch enough. The reverse is true for me. I have had more than one femme tell me I needed to tone it down a bit.....I was too butch for them, especially to take home to the parental units. They were embarrassed when I got called Sir also.
to tone it down???
i never would ask my butch to tone it down ... and i was never ever embarassed when they called hym sir or refer'd to hym as my husband. i just went with it like any normal person would when there out together family or not.
ha i felt kinda wierd she someone would call us ladies... but that didnt happen to often.. hehe

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #116
tazz

How Do You Identify?:
Athlete/tomboi
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, cutie
Relationship Status:
Estoy recibiendo cómodo con él

Thanked 1,759 Times in 642 Posts
tazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputationtazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
***ditto dykeumentary.
when i was a femme, i was told i'm not femme enough. now through my journeys, i've also been told i'm not butch enough.

screw it!! iamwhoiam... if anyone cannot accept me... its Their issue not mine!

~t

tazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tazz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #117
tara_kerrie

How Do You Identify?:
Whatever you want to call us
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, she,
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,366 Times in 441 Posts
tara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputationtara_kerrie Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

My definition of old school: when a butch/guy/trans treats the ladies with respect. They open the doors for them. They bring flowers (first date, first meet, and anything in between). A person would NEVER even think about doing anything with a friend or acquaintance's person (whethet they be together or they know their friend likes them).

I am 28 years old and most of the people that I have been around (other than members of the planet) do not even attempt to open the door for
Their partners. They dont bring flowers.

IMO these are some characteristics of an OSOF butch. These are characteristics that I am PROUD to have.
tara_kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tara_kerrie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #118
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
I've always associated 'old school' with manners, courtesy, politeness and the tie and suit wearing kind of butch.....which would describe me.

I decidedly do not ever want 'old fashioned' attached to me. I associate 'old fashioned' with that fairy tale of the 50's where the man (butch) went to work and the woman (femme) stayed home and cooked, cleaned and was all made-up and pretty with supper on the table when the man came home.

I'm with Rope about old school. Manners should never be out of style and we have plenty of butches of all stripes in the Bay Area. You will see a bunch of us at our Spring Fling social on May 12. Femmes will be there also.

Maybe the problem is some femmes are looking for a very particular kind of butch and are missing all the rest of us that are right in front of your eyes.....shrug.....
Yup, quite a distinction between "old school" and "old fashioned" and manners matter- for both butches & femmes... people in general, actually.

Funny, "old school" really has no time cohort at all. I have often heard a butch much younger than myself say "I'm old school."
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #119
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Ha! A Femme friend just informed me that it is 'not very butch' to admit that I've been told I'm not butch enough!
What kinda femmes are you talking to? Lawd, the gall, to police someone's gender presentation like that.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #120
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar55 View Post
to tone it down???
i never would ask my butch to tone it down ... and i was never ever embarassed when they called hym sir or refer'd to hym as my husband. i just went with it like any normal person would when there out together family or not.
ha i felt kinda wierd she someone would call us ladies... but that didnt happen to often.. hehe
haha... was rereading some stuff here... and ty for the reppies ... but boy i kinda chopped this up huh?? lol ..
should of left out the she part in that last sentance and put when

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post: