Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #201
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I got it, thanks!

Sour milk instead of buttermilk--1 cup milk, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, let it sit while you mix the dry ingredients and cut in the butter.

Now here's something I absolutely don't know... can you sour almond milk with lemon juice? Does that work?

Wow so you lose the extra fat of buttermilk too! Huh. Have to try that.
Maybe I need to spend more time in the south. LOL I have been missing out on some good food!

I am gonna doubt that the almond milk will sour the same way that the regular milk does. However, you will likely get a lemon almond flavor and that cant be a bad thing.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #202
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~SweetCheeks~ View Post
I have always enjoyed being in the kitchen conjuring up some new recipe I decided I would try. I used to love watching my grandma and mom cook in the kitchen. I would stand on a chair next to the fridge which was close to the stove and ask questions about everything. So one day my grandma said ok your going to learn how to cook, I was all of 8 years old and I was determined. She taught me how to make a simple spaghetti that day. And a love for cooking flourished. Last year when I made a cross country move to live with my gf I became a homemaker for a year and began experimenting in the kitchen. The internet and family recipes began to come together.

My favorite foods is definitely Mexican cuisine. I love making carnitas tacos out of a picnic roast that I marinade over night and then let slow cook in a crock pot for about 9 hours on low. My gf had never had mexican food so she got hooked fast. I make lots of varieties, and have always wanted to learn to make a good chocolate mole, as well as Tamales.

Looking forward to reading more in this thread. Thank you Sun
Thank you for sharing these memories with us. What a sweet story about learning to cook!

Looks like we have some Mexican foodies in this thread! Right on planet peeps. Love that. Lets share what we know and learn from each other.

Slow cookers are great! Nice idea for the carnitas.

I am still waiting on someone to post ideas for salsa verde. Texas..New Mexico..Arizona...Colorado...Any ideas?

― Rumi

Old 11-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #203
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Thank you for sharing these memories with us. What a sweet story about learning to cook!

Looks like we have some Mexican foodies in this thread! Right on planet peeps. Love that. Lets share what we know and learn from each other.

Slow cookers are great! Nice idea for the carnitas.

I am still waiting on someone to post ideas for salsa verde. Texas..New Mexico..Arizona...Colorado...Any ideas?

i've got an awesome salsa verde recipe.. lemme find it. My femme friend in Portland sent it to me, and it rocks.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #204
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Wow that looks good. But then again, I like pickled just about anything. The only thing that I have to be aware of are sulphites which are added to many pickled products. So home pickled items are best for me.

A few favorites that I always have in the fridge would be pickled garlic, and thinly sliced red onions pickled. I toss a jalepeno into the liquid for some kick.

The onions are great on Taco's and make an excellent side for fish and rice.
YOu can buy yummy picked garlic at Korean supermarkets and pickled red onions sounds yummy. What do you pickle them in? Sulphites hadn't thought of that and goodness knows if they've been added or not. According to my ex most street food in Malaysia has MSG added to it. We ate at a Szechuan restaurant the other night (they also serve other Chinese dishes plus some Nyonya). We ordered the beef with ginger but it was so salty!!!!! They made us a fresh dish but my ex and her mum thought that the beef had already been salted or something and in the cooking process added more salt or MSG.

But I tell you what, when I first moved to San Diego from South Korea, I was always complaining to my exgf about the saltiness of food, especially pizza.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #205
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

One of my favourite brand of pickles (Australian):

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #206
little_ms_sunshyne

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 12,242 Times in 2,540 Posts
little_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputation

I cannot wait for the weather to change! I would settle for a 50 degrees! I am ready to make Fideo
little_ms_sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to little_ms_sunshyne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #207
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_ms_sunshyne View Post
I cannot wait for the weather to change! I would settle for a 50 degrees! I am ready to make Fideo
OMG 50 degrees and I think that I am freezing to death! lol

When you make the Fideo please post a pic!

― Rumi

Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #208
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post

i've got an awesome salsa verde recipe.. lemme find it. My femme friend in Portland sent it to me, and it rocks.

Awesome! Thanks hon.

― Rumi

Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #209
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskiwi View Post
YOu can buy yummy picked garlic at Korean supermarkets and pickled red onions sounds yummy. What do you pickle them in? Sulphites hadn't thought of that and goodness knows if they've been added or not. According to my ex most street food in Malaysia has MSG added to it. We ate at a Szechuan restaurant the other night (they also serve other Chinese dishes plus some Nyonya). We ordered the beef with ginger but it was so salty!!!!! They made us a fresh dish but my ex and her mum thought that the beef had already been salted or something and in the cooking process added more salt or MSG.

But I tell you what, when I first moved to San Diego from South Korea, I was always complaining to my exgf about the saltiness of food, especially pizza.
Over salting is a problem in food service. ugh.

Pizza was salty in San Diego? Ok first of all..why were you eating Pizza in San Diego when they have so much good Mexican food there?! LOL

Seriously why was it salty?

― Rumi

Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #210
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Bacon anyone?

So..I offered to cook a bacon themed dinner for one of my friends and posted about this on her Facebook wall. We live in different states and have not seen each other in a year so this requires some planning. Bacon is her thing. Well the people on her friends list went nuts over this idea. Then I wrote about it on my wall. Now I am getting requests for Bacon themed events!

Who knew? Weirdest request so far is for a Bacon Vodka Martini.

This is going to be interesting. Especially when it comes to dessert.

Oh yeah, now my friends want me to turn this simple dinner into a Bacon party. LOL

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #211
~SweetCheeks~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-babygirl-brat
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Justin's babygirl

Thanked 3,254 Times in 646 Posts
~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thank you SweetCheeks and welcome to the thread!

Ok a question for you on cooking technique. At the point where you add the chicken to the pot, do you brown the chicken, are you looking to crisp it up first for example or just add it and let it cook in the broth?
I usually don't brown the chicken for this recipe, but I have made it where I did brown the chicken first and then add it to the pot. Also you can add a can of cream of chicken soup to the above recipe to make it a little more creamy.
~SweetCheeks~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~SweetCheeks~ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #212
~SweetCheeks~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-babygirl-brat
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Justin's babygirl

Thanked 3,254 Times in 646 Posts
~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation~SweetCheeks~ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I got it, thanks!

Sour milk instead of buttermilk--1 cup milk, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, let it sit while you mix the dry ingredients and cut in the butter.

Now here's something I absolutely don't know... can you sour almond milk with lemon juice? Does that work?
My mom taught me to make "sour milk" with a tablespoon of sour cream in a cup of milk. As for the almond milk I do not know, I guess trial and error would be your best bet. Good luck!
~SweetCheeks~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~SweetCheeks~ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #213
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Today while at work my client (a former chef) had me make a very simple but nummy licious stew. Here's how we did it:

I cut up half an onion into good chunks

dice one stalk of celery

Mince 2 gloves of garlic.

Put in a pan with about a tbs of olive oil....let it all sweat out till soft and nearly translucent....

Add 3/4c dry lentils

a pinch of celtic sea salt

a pinch and a half of his spice ( I will post the recipe for that tomorrow...its AWESOME)

enough water to just cover....simmer till lentils are soft

he also put in some organic taco seasoning... I thought that would give it a nice chili taste....

I also thought adding some nice diced tomatoes would be a nice touch...again add to the chiliness...perhaps some diced carrot...zucchini...garbanzo beans for a little mix.....healthy chili mmmmm
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #214
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
Today while at work my client (a former chef) had me make a very simple but nummy licious stew. Here's how we did it:

I cut up half an onion into good chunks

dice one stalk of celery

Mince 2 gloves of garlic.

Put in a pan with about a tbs of olive oil....let it all sweat out till soft and nearly translucent....

Add 3/4c dry lentils

a pinch of celtic sea salt

a pinch and a half of his spice ( I will post the recipe for that tomorrow...its AWESOME)

enough water to just cover....simmer till lentils are soft

he also put in some organic taco seasoning... I thought that would give it a nice chili taste....

I also thought adding some nice diced tomatoes would be a nice touch...again add to the chiliness...perhaps some diced carrot...zucchini...garbanzo beans for a little mix.....healthy chili mmmmm
How long do you let that cook for? Looks good. Meat eaters can add some dried sausage like linguica or chorizo chopped up.

Or bacon.

My life has a bacon theme running through it at the moment.

― Rumi

Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #215
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
How long do you let that cook for? Looks good. Meat eaters can add some dried sausage like linguica or chorizo chopped up.

Or bacon.

My life has a bacon theme running through it at the moment.

Ham hocks.....
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #216
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
So..I offered to cook a bacon themed dinner for one of my friends and posted about this on her Facebook wall. We live in different states and have not seen each other in a year so this requires some planning. Bacon is her thing. Well the people on her friends list went nuts over this idea. Then I wrote about it on my wall. Now I am getting requests for Bacon themed events!

Who knew? Weirdest request so far is for a Bacon Vodka Martini.

This is going to be interesting. Especially when it comes to dessert.

Oh yeah, now my friends want me to turn this simple dinner into a Bacon party. LOL
desserts

time desserts

fun.
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #217
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post

Ham hocks.....
Another good idea.

There is a white bean stew that my grandmother made that I make with ham hocks. I also add Escarole at the end. Lots of garlic too. Its insanely good on a cold night with a piece of crusty bread.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #218
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Another good idea.

There is a white bean stew that my grandmother made that I make with ham hocks. I also add Escarole at the end. Lots of garlic too. Its insanely good on a cold night with a piece of crusty bread.
They put bacon on ice cream now....

I know down south everything has either bacon, ham, ham hocks, or fat back in it... It was hard to eat healthy down there. Whenever I ordered a vegetable it tended to be deep fried or doused in bacon....lol..but you cant beat the bbq with a stick! Gonna miss Mutt's pulled pork sammiches forever.....
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #219
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Another good idea.

White bean stew with escarole, yum, yum.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #220
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
They put bacon on ice cream now....

I know down south everything has either bacon, ham, ham hocks, or fat back in it... It was hard to eat healthy down there. Whenever I ordered a vegetable it tended to be deep fried or doused in bacon....lol..but you cant beat the bbq with a stick! Gonna miss Mutt's pulled pork sammiches forever.....
Bacon Ice Cream? NO!!!

That is just so wrong. Ok we need to draw the line somewhere. That is like heart attack ice cream. I thought the chocolate covered bacon was off the rails but people love it.

We should dedicate a weekend to posting about bbq. This summer I experimented a lot with bbq'ing vegetarian foods because so often veggie folks are left out. Like "here have a piece of bbq'd corn!" how much fun is that? Well I love roasted corn but still...

What is Mutt's pulled pork?

On that note, everyone, tell us about your regional dishes!

― Rumi