Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #1001
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

a comfort food. I love rice pudding!

From Texas Recipes

Rice Pudding

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups (600 ml) of whole milk
1/3 cup (66 grams) of uncooked short grain white rice

Pinch of salt
1 egg
1/4 cup (50 grams) dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/3 cup (40 grams) raisins (optional)

Directions:
In a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the milk, rice and salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and brown sugar until well mixed. Add a half cup of the hot rice mixture to the egg mixture, a tablespoon at a time, vigorously whisking to incorporate.

Add egg mixture back into the saucepan of rice and milk and stir, on low heat, for 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened, or about 160°F (71°C). Be careful not to have the mixture come to a boil at this point or it will curdle. Stir in the vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in the raisins and cinnamon.

Serve warm or cold.

Yield: Serves 3-4.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #1002
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I tweeked the recipe a bit and added some of my salsa into the sauce for the chicken while it cooks. I may be in large love with this....
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #1003
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

My roommate and I had Chicken Marie tonight.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #1004
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Awesome thank you! You are a Goddess send. By March I am going to start visiting some of the land that is available in the central valley and get a better sense of what is out there. Prices may never be this low again. I will definitely keep you posted and if you plan to visit CA in the spring or summer let me know I can show you around some of the farms.

If you have a source for mature fruit trees can you hook me up? I may as well start budgeting in that direction. Makes more sense.
I don't really know anyone in that region but it can't be too hard. Why don't you look up orchard in your area and volunteer to work on your days off. When I wanted to learn fish farming I did that. It was the hardest job I ever done and although I want to raise fish for myself I knew that wasn't the business for me.

When you look at your farm business model you need to factor in everything including the cost of land. Taxes in CA are very high. Also look and see what kind of benefits the state offers growers. You may want to consider going over the state line and bringing your produce into CA. Also check out a site http://rodaleinstitute.org/home for helpful organic info and market studies.

I don't think I'll be out that way but thank you. We have so many farms in this region and I donate part of my time helping them with marketing and new products.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #1005
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

You can't go wrong with a good taco. I love making fish tacos especially when i can find a good wild caught white fish I can panko and fry. Cut into long sections or chunks. I use flour tortillas for this. I make a fry sauce with mayo and pickled jalapenos & wickles relish (If you havent tried wickles relish you're so missing something)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #1006
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursy View Post
You would always be welcome my friend.

Yes, I think all of the powdered soup products have msg, but none of us have problems with it so it's all good there. I have read studies that suggest it's not the demon it was originally made out to be, and that it's a naturally occurring substance in many foods, so it's really only an issue if you have a sensitivity.

I think the actual culprit was... something starting with T? Can't remember.
I am highly allergic to the sulphites and want to mention that years ago my cat Misha got into some MSG (an empty 50 lb bag blew onto my patio when I was living in the city, it came from a manufacturing plant) and she developed a cough. That cough turned into lung cancer. Those chemicals that are supposed to break down proteins to tenderize meat do, and they break down the delicate structure that makes living organs as well.

Anyway based on that experience and many others I do not want to use MSG but again for me the sulphites are deadly.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #1007
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryder View Post
Here is a recipe for tamales from Texas Recipes and it reminds me of my grandmother's recipe.

Christmas Tamales (from Scratch)

For Husks:
1/2 lb tamale corn husks

To prepare husks, place them in a large bowl of hot water; weigh down husks with another bowl. Soak for at least 30 minutes (until pliable). Drain husks; remove any silks and wash thoroughly. Cover with warm water and soak at least 2 hours. Keep damp until used.

Tear 2 cornhusks lengthwise into 12 (1/2-inch-wide) strips (6 strips per husk).

Filling:
1 small pork roast or tenderloin (2-3 lb.)
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3/4 tsp cumin

Cut pork roast into very small pieces. Place pork into a large pot with 2 cups water and add remaining filling ingredients. Cook for 1-1/2 hours on medium heat; reduce to low and cook another 1-1/2 hours. When meat is tender drain juices into another pan and save them for the dough. Let meat stand 10 minutes. Cut pork in half crosswise; shred with 2 forks.

Dough:
2-1/2 cups masa flour
3/4 cups lard
Reserved meat juices
1/4 cup baking powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red chili powder

Place masa flour into a large bowl. Soften lard and work it, along with 3/4 cup meat juice, into the masa. Add baking powder and spices.

Combine until mixture is soft enough to spread. If dough is too stiff, add more of the meat juices.

Lay each husk flat on the working surface with the tip away from you and the smooth side up. Using 2-1/2 Tbsp of dough for each husk, spread dough completely to the right edge and within 1 inch of the left side, 2 inches of the bottom and 2 inches of the top. The rectangle should be about 4 to 5 inches in size. Spoon 2 Tbsp of meat mixture onto the center of the dough in a line lengthwise.

To enclose, turn the right long side over to the center of the filling, making sure dough seals around filling. Then fold the long left side over filling with the plain part of the husk wrapping around the tamale.

Fold the bottom tip down and around tamale. Tie 1 husk strip around tapered end of husk to secure it. Trim all but about 1/2 inch excess husk from broad end, if needed. Repeat procedure with remaining husks, dough, and pork mixture.

Invert an aluminum pie plate in the bottom of a large pot/steamer and place some husks on top of the pie plate. Arrange tamales in the pot by placing them one by one, starting in the middle and working out building a pyramid. Fill the pot about half full. pour enough
water seasoned with a little salt and chili powder into the pot to not quite touch the bottom of the tamales. Steam, covered about 3 hours on very low heat. Yields 4 dozen

NOTE:
Patience: do not open the steamer during the cooking process; it causes water to condense on the inside of the lid of the and drip into the tamales.

These can be frozen and reheated.

Thanks ruff! I have been looking forward to getting a Tamale conversation going. Does anyone know if you can sub anything for the Lard?

― Rumi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #1008
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I am highly allergic to the sulphites and want to mention that years ago my cat Misha got into some MSG (an empty 50 lb bag blew onto my patio when I was living in the city, it came from a manufacturing plant) and she developed a cough. That cough turned into lung cancer. Those chemicals that are supposed to break down proteins to tenderize meat do, and they break down the delicate structure that makes living organs as well.

Anyway based on that experience and many others I do not want to use MSG but again for me the sulphites are deadly.

Poor lil Misha, I'm sorry for what happened to her x
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #1009
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
I tweeked the recipe a bit and added some of my salsa into the sauce for the chicken while it cooks. I may be in large love with this....

You cant go wrong with a good home made salsa. I add mine to so many things especially salsa verde, Ima freak like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
My roommate and I had Chicken Marie tonight.
Hey Nadeest post a recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
I don't really know anyone in that region but it can't be too hard. Why don't you look up orchard in your area and volunteer to work on your days off. When I wanted to learn fish farming I did that. It was the hardest job I ever done and although I want to raise fish for myself I knew that wasn't the business for me.

When you look at your farm business model you need to factor in everything including the cost of land. Taxes in CA are very high. Also look and see what kind of benefits the state offers growers. You may want to consider going over the state line and bringing your produce into CA. Also check out a site http://rodaleinstitute.org/home for helpful organic info and market studies.

I don't think I'll be out that way but thank you. We have so many farms in this region and I donate part of my time helping them with marketing and new products.
Yes, absolutely I had tons of research to do, this idea went from the lightbulb stage to a few friends asking how to invest in short time so I am just beginning. The market is definitely there. Out of State I looked at AZ and irrigation is a freaking nightmare, and water is a big issue out west especially for sub tropical fruits. We have a lot of trouble getting clean water for irrigation. Guess I could check out NV. The idea was not to be too far from the SF bay area and the central valley or Sacramento valley puts me within 2-3 hours drive.

I have a friend who farms on her land but will be looking at a production farm to learn from. Will likely visit growers in Mexico as well.

Quote:
You can't go wrong with a good taco. I love making fish tacos especially when i can find a good wild caught white fish I can panko and fry. Cut into long sections or chunks. I use flour tortillas for this. I make a fry sauce with mayo and pickled jalapenos & wickles relish (If you havent tried wickles relish you're so missing something)

― Rumi

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #1010
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Fish Tacos in AZ are off the hook. One place I that I keep talking about uses mahi mahi and grills over mequite charcoal that they bring up from Mexico. Hand made flour tortillias (Panderia on site) shredded cabbage, a little fresh cotija cheese and crema. They make 8 different fresh salsas and fire roasted jalepeno's to accompany. In season they are roasting Elotes too. Good stuff.

Never had wickles relish I will have to look it up.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #1011
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Good Morning Delicious People!

How are you all doing?

― Rumi

Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #1012
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I completely forgot that I bought 3 avocados...sooo... I am making a super simple guacamole today.
I just mash 2 avocados and add the "good" kind of salsa (like from a deli or homemade if you're REALLY good), mix in some liquid smoke and the spice I posted early on here....and voila....Nummy Guac! and I have the rest of the VERY good quinoa and black bean chips from Trader Joe's to go with it

Wishing I was making a Tex/Mex themed dinner tonight...but I'm making spaghetti with, possibly, roasted veggies. Gotta talk to my chef guru firstly
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #1013
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
I completely forgot that I bought 3 avocados...sooo... I am making a super simple guacamole today.
I just mash 2 avocados and add the "good" kind of salsa (like from a deli or homemade if you're REALLY good), mix in some liquid smoke and the spice I posted early on here....and voila....Nummy Guac! and I have the rest of the VERY good quinoa and black bean chips from Trader Joe's to go with it

Wishing I was making a Tex/Mex themed dinner tonight...but I'm making spaghetti with, possibly, roasted veggies. Gotta talk to my chef guru firstly
Oooh guacamole. My crew just whipped some up. Not a great season for avocado's though. Awesome chips you have there.

What kind of protein are you adding to that pasta?

― Rumi

Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #1014
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

I am doing battle with my teenagers High School administrators over "clean safe drinking water". They claim that tap water is clean and safe. I really think that they need to check their denial or find new jobs. I am at my wits end with this. Mini diva tells me that the tap water from water fountains is disgusting and she refuses to drink it, plus she knows that this is unsanitary. The school sells bottled water for $2 per 16 oz which I think is insane.

Why should the kids have to buy clean water when the school has a legal obligation to provide such? Time to change the language of the law to "peovide clean safe drinking water FREE of charge. Fucking politics.

― Rumi

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #1015
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Avacado uses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post

Asian sauce for avacados. 1/4 cup of your choice of soy sauce, 1 fresh minced garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon of minced ginger. Mix and let set to room temp. Pour over avocados, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice. It's delicious.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1016
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

A friend of mine said that this chicken dumpling casserole was amazing.

If you try it let us know how it turns out.

― Rumi

Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1017
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Asian sauce for avacados. 1/4 cup of your choice of soy sauce, 1 fresh minced garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon of minced ginger. Mix and let set to room temp. Pour over avocados, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice. It's delicious.
It is amazing how versatile this fruit is!

― Rumi

Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #1018
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It is amazing how versatile this fruit is!
We rarely eat them any other way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #1019
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
We rarely eat them any other way.
My sweetheart likes hers mashed with milk and sugar. Try it sometimes you will be amazed at what a healthy dessert alternative this can be.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #1020
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Quote:
My sweetheart likes hers mashed with milk and sugar. Try it sometimes you will be amazed at what a healthy dessert alternative this can be.
Ok! I'll try it. I can say that Red is not much into sweets but I think I can get her to try it once. I'll let you know how it works out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post: