Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #61
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I don't want to intrude here but wanted to ask a question about the use of music to address mental illness. I ask this because it's something that a social worker suggested to my half-sister and interestingly, it seems to work. A bit of background: my half-sister was the sole witness to my mom's murder. This was a lot for an 8 year old to take in but coupled with that were a variety of conditions (i.e., Turner's syndrome, emotional abuse, slight Down's syndrome and, we suspect, OCD tendencies). What resulted was a form of schizophrenia and increased OCD behaviour. While she was already on a variety of medications to address other issues, the medication for the schizophrenia wasn't quite working. So the lead social worker in my sister's group setting suggested she listen to music (specifically Baroque classical) whenever the "experience" got to be too much.

Apparently this has helped huge with her ability to control things and has made it a more managable situation for herself. Granted, she'll never live on her own but she has a place of her own in a group setting, goes on trips, works, shops, etc. She's been using this for 5 years+ now and hasn't had any medication for her illness. Nor has she had major incidents. Certainly she can still focus on certain things endlessly and I cannot tell her about my transition (this would be too much and that is something I respect so I write to her with my birth name rather than my chosen name) but I did find it interesting.

So I was curious if others have used music as a mechanism to address other mental illnesses such as bi-polar, depression, anxiety, etc? And I wonder if it's the actual tempo or the attention is taken away from the illness and the mind focuses on something else or perhaps a combo of the two? Has anyone heard of this or been suggested this? Or was the social worker just lucky at the suggestion?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #62
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Linus!

I know music therapy does exist and I know everything is better for me with music playing. It makes total sense

When I travel or even if I go to the grocery store and am anxious, on go my heaphones.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #63
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Linus,

I use music all the time. My anxiety is off the charts now that the holidays are coming up. I used to be able to listen and calm down when I was younger to Christmas music, but not anymore. My bio-father took my record player and records, and basically destroyed them when he was in a violent mood let's just say. I was listening to Christmas music at that particular time.

I listen to classical music when I go to bed at night. During the stressful times, I listen to easy listening music or show tunes. I have to be careful because sometimes I will have flashbacks if I get zoned out.

The one thing I will suggest to you, maybe when you go to see your sister, let her see you and touch your facial hair, and talk first. That maybe the way for her to communicate your transition.

You are always welcome here. I think how you are handling your family situation is just wonderful. My hat is off to you.

Love,
Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #64
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Ever heard a song on the radio that you haven't heard in 5 years? Many times, you'll still know every word. Music is one of the most pervasive memory triggers, and when used appropriately it can shift moods.

Studies have shown that strong beats can stimulate brain waves that bring forth sharper thinking and concentration,with slower tempos promoting meditative states. Likewise, your breathing and heart rates respond to musical tempos.

In response to the baroque music comment, Baroque (and new age, and shamanic, and. . . ) music generally has a pulse of 60 BPM, which can shift beta brain waves to alpha waves. Alpha waves are connected to calmness, whereas beta waves are connected to strong emotions.
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 AM   #65
Unndunn

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
doesn't matter to me
Relationship Status:
single

Unndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST Reputation

Music therapy is an amazing thing and I've seen it help some people tremendously. It can be a treatment modality all by itself and a lot of patients will respond to having a choice of instruments, especially percussion and some gentle direction on how to express themselves. I'm not trained in music therapy, so I won't even try to go into the details of it.

In terms of using music as a tool to treat a mental illness or to lessen the symptoms, the most important thing to remember is that what we might think of as calming, someone else will be agitated by. I've had many patients that became agitated listening to classical music, regardless of the tempo of the songs. We changed our waiting room music at one clinic because of it. (I would advise against music in a waiting room, but we had paper thin walls and the noise machines weren't loud enough to block out raised voices). Choose what you like, and what has calmed you down in the past, or has motivated you. Music can be a great distraction, but can also be a trigger to those who have experienced trauma. Find what works for you, and set up playlists for your changing moods. Don't let anyone judge your choices-- suggestions are one thing, but don't let anyone tell you that you are listening to the wrong type of music if you know that it helps you to feel better, or to be distracted, or to have more energy. I had a 15 year old boy I worked with in long term therapy and the music that calmed his aggression and brought him down from feeling agitated was death metal. I don't know how it worked, I don't know why it had that effect, but it did.

Also, schizophrenics and other folks who have auditory hallucinations (AH), ie hearing voices, often find that listening to music with earphones helps them to block out negative AH and function in the world.

I've got my sad yet soothing music, my I just want to feel better and not think music (usually disco lol) and all sorts of other playlists on my mp3 player.

Great question, Linus!
Unndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unndunn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #66
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

3 days ago my bio-father was rushed to the hospital. His diabetes is out of control, he has bronch./pnemonia, and his heart rhythm is causing his pacemaker to go off. Now he is on dialysis. I was called late last night by my bio-mother. She asked me to call my siblings because she just couldn't. Now my twitch has come back (from my ocd) and it starting up again. Shit. No other way to say it.

My stress level is wayyy up there. There is this one nurse or cnp who is nasty, and has the personality of a pea. I am just waiting to say :shutup: which is so unlike me (really). I think that pretty much summs up my anxiety level.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #67
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
3 days ago my bio-father was rushed to the hospital. His diabetes is out of control, he has bronch./pnemonia, and his heart rhythm is causing his pacemaker to go off. Now he is on dialysis. I was called late last night by my bio-mother. She asked me to call my siblings because she just couldn't. Now my twitch has come back (from my ocd) and it starting up again. Shit. No other way to say it.

My stress level is wayyy up there. There is this one nurse or cnp who is nasty, and has the personality of a pea. I am just waiting to say :shutup: which is so unlike me (really). I think that pretty much summs up my anxiety level.

I completely understand, dealing with most family stuff gives me a twitch.

Remember (and I have a hard time with this myself) the nurse works for you, you don't work for her. If someone is nasty, tell their superior.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #68
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Default Handwashing

This place is so dirty. OMG. I am washing my hands all the times. I just went thru the hand sanitizers my mother had. Now, I am back and forth in the bathroom washing, and washing. I am back to step 1.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #69
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Hi there all...

I'm joining in the middle of the thread, and I hope that's okay.

I have Borderline Personality Disorder or BPD for short. It is often passed along down the female side of the family, and I have noticed that my mother has it and my daughter is showing signs. BPD affects 2% of the population, mostly women.

It took the break up of my relationship to finally figure out what was wrong, and why I was unable to form lasting friendships and relationships. My Marriage is now back on track, and all of my interactions are becoming easier in general. Oh I still have BPD, and I still don't like most people, but the way I deal with people is changing every day. I can regulate myself better, although I still occasionally do lose all perspective and have an episode.

When I am completely stressed I have OCD issues, where I check over and over for my keys before I can leave the house or get out of my car. When those episodes begin, I keep my keys in my hand and stare at them as I exit. It is not a cure, but at least I can move.

Thank you all for sharing...it really helps to know I am not alone.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #70
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Hi and Welcome BlushingFemme!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #71
Mindy

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Single

Mindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST Reputation

Music is great. I find that it often helps make my mood brighter when I'm feeling down. There are times, though, when i'm down that I listen to stuff that makes my mood worse, because I'm listening to music that "fits" my mood. A lot of times when I'm angry and upset I like to listen to loud, angry music with the volume on high. I'll listen to it a bit, do housework and the movement and the music makes me feel better after a bit. When I'm feeling better, the volume goes down and the music style changes. Can't do it where I'm living now, no loud music, no music at all unless it's through my head phones, otherwise there are fights over the music. I live with music haters! lol... not really, we just have huge differences on what constitutes "good" music.

Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #72
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

The question about music in relation to treatment for mental illness is quite ironic to me at the moment. I too fair far better with the world when I see it beyond the blare of my music, but financial situations have not allowed me to have a CD player or mp3 player for myself in quite some time.

I just recently started throwing a CD in the DVD player to do my work again. I can't tell you how much of a Godsend music is. It calms my anxiety, releases my tension and makes the world a manageable place again. When I am angry, I put on a song and sing my lungs out. When I want to cry I put on something with a beat and focus on the rhythm. Without music I would never make it through a day, even without the CD playing I am singing to myself. I would have given up on trying so long ago if it weren't for the music.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #73
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

Music is good but who else on here does the journaling and writing?
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #74
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Music can calm me down faster than anything else...especially Christmas songs. They say that Christmas music (especially up tempo) releases lots of good endorphins into the system.

I journal and write decent poetry only when unhappy...I have been unable to write anything of importance in quite a while. The writing pulls me deeper into myself, and makes things so much worse! I do a lot of self checking now when I feel the urge to write.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #75
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingfemme View Post
Music can calm me down faster than anything else...especially Christmas songs. They say that Christmas music (especially up tempo) releases lots of good endorphins into the system.

I journal and write decent poetry only when unhappy...I have been unable to write anything of importance in quite a while. The writing pulls me deeper into myself, and makes things so much worse! I do a lot of self checking now when I feel the urge to write.
I general write when I am unhappy too.

In college, I tried a poetry group. My poetry would be about shattering into frozen shards and everyone else's was about things like their granddad's canoe.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #76
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I general write when I am unhappy too.

In college, I tried a poetry group. My poetry would be about shattering into frozen shards and everyone else's was about things like their granddad's canoe.
OMG! This made me laugh so hard...not because it is funny, but because you sound so much like my "spinning into the ever widening abyss" style of writing. It was a relief to think that someone understands what I am saying, and it made me feel good! Thank you so much....
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #77
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
OMG! This made me laugh so hard...not because it is funny, but because you sound so much like my "spinning into the ever widening abyss" style of writing. It was a relief to think that someone understands what I am saying, and it made me feel good! Thank you so much....

Right there with ya and on the same page!

Yeay!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #78
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hi there all...

I'm joining in the middle of the thread, and I hope that's okay.

I have Borderline Personality Disorder or BPD for short. It is often passed along down the female side of the family, and I have noticed that my mother has it and my daughter is showing signs. BPD affects 2% of the population, mostly women.

It took the break up of my relationship to finally figure out what was wrong, and why I was unable to form lasting friendships and relationships. My Marriage is now back on track, and all of my interactions are becoming easier in general. Oh I still have BPD, and I still don't like most people, but the way I deal with people is changing every day. I can regulate myself better, although I still occasionally do lose all perspective and have an episode.

When I am completely stressed I have OCD issues, where I check over and over for my keys before I can leave the house or get out of my car. When those episodes begin, I keep my keys in my hand and stare at them as I exit. It is not a cure, but at least I can move.

Thank you all for sharing...it really helps to know I am not alone.
I think it's amazing that you realized you were BPD, and I commend you for taking responsibility for that! That is a very tough thing to do, given the nature of BPD. Most people with it have no clue they have it, let alone take responsibility for it and make a real effort to change. KUDOS!!!
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #79
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiczombie View Post
I think it's amazing that you realized you were BPD, and I commend you for taking responsibility for that! That is a very tough thing to do, given the nature of BPD. Most people with it have no clue they have it, let alone take responsibility for it and make a real effort to change. KUDOS!!!
Thank you very much. I worked with people with Mental Health issues for 16years, and I knew deep inside something was wrong; the inability to form lasting relationships was very troubling for me.

BPD is a really strange disease, in that you blame EVERYONE else for your problems and issues, and it all seems quite rational.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #80
Unndunn

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
doesn't matter to me
Relationship Status:
single

Unndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I write song lyrics when I'm depressed. I can't get into picking up my guitar and figuring out the chord progressions, or even just wanting to strum a bit, but I can write some amazing lyrics. I just can't do much else.
Unndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unndunn For This Useful Post: