Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 11-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #41
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

Some of you know that I do rescue work. I work with the parent club to help transport Doberman Pinschers throughout the State of California. I'm part of the underground railroad. My first transport resulted in two red Dobes making it to their destination. Unfortunately, I had already fallen in love so I went back the following weekend and brought home Rita. I've done many other successful runs. I was asked to foster a big blue male several weeks after I lost my beloved Beauregard. That mission was also a failure and Bubba now sleeps at me feet. They are both hillbilly Dobermans that needed somebody to see their potential. They found that when I met them.

I have many friends who work breed specific rescues, Boxers, Pits, Sled Dogs, Danes, Rotts and GSDs. My point is that many of the breed clubs have vibrant rescue networks. If only people who belonged to the parent clubs and had contracts bred dogs, there wouldn't be an issue. Responsible breeders always take back their dogs. The problem is irresponsible people breeding and/or not fixing their pet quality animals. Responsible breeders look for temperment, soundness, health and conformation. If that was all that was occurring out there the pet world would be a better place for pets, owners and rescue workers. People who think they're going to make money breeding animals are the problem. A responsible breeder will tell you that in reality it's not a money making proposition, it's done for the love of the breed.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #42
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

[QUOTE=Diavolo;12968]Some of you know that I do rescue work. I work with the parent club to help transport Doberman Pinschers throughout the State of California. I'm part of the underground railroad. My first transport resulted in two red Dobes making it to their destination. Unfortunately, I had already fallen in love so I went back the following weekend and brought home Rita. I've done many other successful runs. I was asked to foster a big blue male several weeks after I lost my beloved Beauregard. That mission was also a failure and Bubba now sleeps at me feet. They are both hillbilly Dobermans that needed somebody to see their potential. They found that when I met them.

hi there diavolo dobermans are the sweetest dogs ever the dobie rescue group i recently worked with [described in a previous entry] were so professional and close-knit. after my experience with this particular group of people with whom i keep contact and now feel bonded, i consider myself very fortunate to have their trust across the board. integrity - from the founder of the rescue, all the way to the "underground railroad" sure does reinforce their reputation.

my dobie of thirteen years was blue. people make comments all of time about that when his photo is shown. thank you for helping beautiful dobermans, diavolo

I have many friends who work breed specific rescues, Boxers, Pits, Sled Dogs, Danes, Rotts and GSDs. My point is that many of the breed clubs have vibrant rescue networks.

absolutely

If only people who belonged to the parent clubs and had contracts bred dogs, there wouldn't be an issue. Responsible breeders always take back their dogs. The problem is irresponsible people breeding and/or not fixing their pet quality animals. Responsible breeders look for temperment, soundness, health and conformation. If that was all that was occurring out there the pet world would be a better place for pets, owners and rescue workers. People who think they're going to make money breeding animals are the problem. A responsible breeder will tell you that in reality it's not a money making proposition, it's done for the love of the breed.

i am in accordance with your comments!

best,
belle
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #43
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

There was a feral cat group living in the habitat behind my community. I feed them, and I have put out an old igloo cat/dog house with warm blankets in it for them.

Then one day...one of the old bitties in my neighborhood called animal control. Everything was taken, and my cats were gone. These two single straight women who have nothing better to do with their lives than create havoc, and cause pain, destroyed some beautiful creatures. I don't wish evil upon them, but I also don't wish them well either.

I still miss my furkids. They were so gentle. And loving. No wonder people have such problems. Sheesh.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #44
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile dogs deserve better is a great web site.

http://www.maddiesfund.org/Grant_Gui...er_Grants.html

andrew, the above link/resource makes me think of you.

some of the info on the maddie's fund page, like if you go to the "funded projects" tab, and then click on "the shelter pet project" for starters, offers a little inspiration.

isn't that dog on the front just smiling?

are you familiar with the HB1468?

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...=HB&docno=1468

i have so very many resources that i am going to post them slowly instead of going link happy happy

{{andrew}}

Old 11-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #45
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Belle,

I love how the dog is smiling. And the cat looks like my Gabby. I rescued Gabby from a woman who's farm was taken over by the ASPCA. She was elderly, and really had a heart of gold, but had no mobility, and couldn't take care of any of her animals. And she had all kinds from cats, dogs, horses, pigs, cows, and even buffalo. Anyway, long story short, Gabby's mother was pregnant, and I got her from my vet. And that looks like her.:badg er::schn auzer:

Love,
Andrew

PS: No, don't give me a ton of links to look up. My ocd will be in overdrive...not like it is already (laughing).
Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #46
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Does anybody have any resources in regards to blind dogs: living with, training another dog to be their guide and companion...etc
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #47
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Let me go look for a couple. I have a book.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #48
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

cybersue, hallo.

maybe these will help:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...guide-dog.html

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/agencies.html
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #49
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Belle. I saw another piece online today about two standard poodles - one who is the guide dog for the other.

I'm considering the possibility (with the emphasis on considering) of adopting a blind Aussie. You might remember I lost mine this past summer. (and miss him every day). The dog in question lost her eyes to glaucoma. She had a mate, but since she was the dominant partner before she lost her sight, they apparently had actual physical battles when he tried to take the lead. I think that any one of my dogs would be a potential guide dog for her, and so I'm looking into the possibility. So, aside from being in touch with her foster Mom I'm trying to learn everything I can about living with a blind dog. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sue
Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #50
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

If I lived in a house with a backyard I would take in a blind,disabled, crippled dog. Most likely a Pitbull because alot of people want a so called "perfect" dog, well to me that dog is perfect, the dog is alive and being taken care of, instead of abused or put down simply because of the breed.

But I also have a HUGE diversion for sugar gliders, which is well known, if I had the means to have a rescue I would. Honestly down the road, I see me with gliders than a dog or cat.
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotAnAverageGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #51
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

andrew, cover your eyes please- more links

sue, here's some good info, i think:

http://www.matnet.com/~divs/assisted/blind_dog.html
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #52
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation
Default "Reconcile" for dogs?

Has anyone used the anti anxiety medication, Reconcile?

We have a mini schnauzer who was a Katrina rescue. He has always been a tad on the "crazy" side, but since our move in April, his anxiety has just escalated.

We consulted with a new vet here yesterday, and he has ordered this medication for Scooter. It should be in next week.

We have tried the OTC calming meds for him without any results.

I would be interested in others' experiences with this.

Last edited by christie; 11-28-2009 at 06:34 AM.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #53
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

A friend of mine took on a deaf rescue boxer. What's critical to remember with these dogs is that the same protocols for training exist. She was having problems with this dog and hired a specialized trainer. The trainer told her that this dog needed to work for everything. I laughed because my dogs have to work for everything. I don't put food down, I ask them to sit and stay and wait for the command once the foods down. A blind dog can hear the commands, in my friend's case the dog could see the commands. She chose to ignore them because she got what she wanted whether she did it or not. Now she's great because she was treated just like the other dogs and had to work for everything. Just a little "food" for thought!

I've taken on two senior rescues. One was a greyhound the other was a Doberman. Neither lived long once I got them, the greyhound lived a little less than a year and the Doberman a little less than two years, but both dogs had an opportunity to spend their sunset years in a comfortable environment where they were well loved, had a warm fireplace to sleep next too and were properly spoiled. They break your heart in the end, but the good you do for them is worth the heartbreak.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #54
wolfwalker

How Do You Identify?:
human

wolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to behold
Default blind dog

I have had dogs all my life. have 2 monsters now. But my all time best dog was Jack. He was a spanial, golden retriever mix that I simply loved and he, me.

He went blind when he was 7. I was very lucky in those first few months with him. He knew the house, the yard etc. I never stopped walking him off lead. he would just stay with me like he always had.

We had a problem when we moved. for the first few months, til he learned his way around. He would follow my cairn terrier around till he learned things for himself. Any new change, I would walk with him till he got the change. But mostly he just learned the change as it was being done.

being blind never restricted him in any way. It took some time for him to adjust but then he was just like any other dog. run to the door barking etc.
He lived to be 14.

open some food and see how fast they find the kitchen. LOL

I would take on another blind dog. they adjust and life goes on for them.

wolfwalker
wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfwalker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #55
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

I asked this question on another site about sugar gliders, should they be legal in all 50 states without having to have papers just to own them, but for breeding they have to be USDA registered and licensed. Some states they are illegal, some you have to have USDA papers to even own them and some states are very shady, my question is should action be taken to make them legal in all 50 states?
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #56
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

[QUOTE=wolfwalker;13238]open some food and see how fast they find the kitchen. LOL

this comment made me smile, wolfwalker.

I would take on another blind dog. they adjust and life goes on for them.

wolfwalker

i think so too. if an animal is without one of his/her senses, or even very unwell- humans might believe that an animal rationalises/dwells on their health issue. wolfwalker, i am of a similar mindset- about life going on for them. over and over, that belief has enabled me to spend time around animal-friends who perhaps did not have much time left on this plane, before going on to the next step.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #57
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post

andrew, cover your eyes please- more links

sue, here's some good info, i think:

http://www.matnet.com/~divs/assisted/blind_dog.html
Thanks Belle! That gives me some links to other resources too!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #58
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm not really a dog person, but here I have this dog....Lucy. She's a rescue Pit/Black Lab mix.....and stubborn as hell. But anyone who has met my Lucy can see how special she is.....

And they also wonder how TWO stubborn bitches can live under the same roof....but we manage.

Nice thread, Belle!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #59
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Awwww Diva. Lucy and you were meant to be together, she is your protector, you vacuum, your snuggle bunny, and your racoon scout, what more can you ask for. Besides... She is beautiful, and Two Beautiful female's tend to compromise. Gotta love that!
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #60
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Awwww Diva. Lucy and you were meant to be together, she is your protector, you vacuum, your snuggle bunny, and your racoon scout, what more can you ask for. Besides... She is beautiful, and Two Beautiful female's tend to compromise. Gotta love that!

HA!!!

I have to tell You....I read "...raccoon SLUT..." ROFL!!!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post: