Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #41
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I love my hairstylist. I have gone through a few of them too. It is hard to find a good one. I have nnnnnoooooo problem paying her $45 for a cut, not at all. I don't tip because she works out of her house, so every dollar goes to her. I would pay her more if she requested it. I have had too many bad cuts to give a rip about what it costs me. I love my hair. I love to style it. I love to have fun with it (thank the goddess for good chemicals). A good cut also assures me I can just let it dry naturally, or put on a cap and go about my business and still feel good about my hair. I have gone through long styles, short styles, no coloring, to multi colored hair. Most of the time I just go in and say... do your magic. And she does. If I don't like it, she will readjust it for free, although I leave a tip for that one. Right now I have asymetrical hair, which has been fun fun fun. With a dye job that helps me look like Cruella Deville. (Now if I could only have her height...a girl can dream).

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
Daktari

I've shaved my own head, with no comb guard, for over 15 years. This year I decided I wanted to grow a little quiff so went to the barbers near my Pops. They did a reasonable job but not good enough so I tried the barber round the corner from home and get a fantastic job done by the young guy whose shop it is. He takes a lot of time and trouble to get it perfect and didn't try to charge me more because I have a female voice, neither did the first barber I tried although the were reluctant to shave the back and sides as short as I'm used to and require. I pay a fiver (less than 10 dollars). I'm aghast that any of the guys here have been charged more for a haircut in a barbers. In a fancy schmancy salon I'm not surprised at all.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #43
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

If you think haircut pricing in general is dumb, wait until you hear this: I pay 85 dollars a pop for my haircuts. Now that's dumb.

Better than in L.A. though, where I routinely paid $120-$150.

And no, no color or anything else.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #44
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I think hair charges should be priced on what was actually done as oppose to your gender.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #45
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
If you think haircut pricing in general is dumb, wait until you hear this: I pay 85 dollars a pop for my haircuts. Now that's dumb.

Better than in L.A. though, where I routinely paid $120-$150.

And no, no color or anything else.
Holy crap!

As I only cut my hair maybe once a year, I don't pay much. When I get it dyed it usually runs around $100 ($75-80 for the color, the rest for a tip). Heck, half the time I dye it myself out of a $5 bottle from the pharmacy. (Well, 3 bottles because my hair is very long and thick.) Guess I'm just cheap that way...lol
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #46
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Well, uh, yeah, but uh... have you seen my hair?

There. I put a pic that shows my hair in my photo gallery. Now who wouldn't pay $85 for that??

(ogod)
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #47
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
Well, uh, yeah, but uh... have you seen my hair?

There. I put a pic that shows my hair in my photo gallery. Now who wouldn't pay $85 for that??

(ogod)
Wait...I don't get it?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #48
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

I think most people, if they look at the first photo in my "gallery," will wonder wtf I'm paying $85 for when a toddler wielding dull scissors could get basically the same effect.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #49
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I pay 13$ plus tip at the barber shop here in town.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #50
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

As a hairstylist I would much rather have you come in and bring a picture of what you are looking for in your hair style. Let me help you to find what will work with your hair type. Some times you may already have the cut you just have no clue how to style it. Just a thought, if your hair takes you longer than 15 minutes to do, you need to find a style that works better for you. When someone comes into me for a haircut I will do everything in my power to be sure that I understand what they are looking for, even if it means having a 1/2 consultation to be sure we are on the same page.
Please by all means, tell your stylist if you don't like something about what she/he has done to your hair. Most places have a week for a so called grace period, if you don't like something about your cut or color, call. It is easier to fix a haircut than it is your reputation as a stylist. Also, if you don't like the way it looks while you are in the chair say so and don't leave until it is right or else don't pay the service until it is right.

As always... just my .02...

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -

Last edited by justkim; 07-08-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: because I am a goober...
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #51
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
As a hairstylist I would much rather have you come in and bring a picture of what you are looking for in your hair style. Let me help you to find what will work with your hair type. Some times you may already have the cut you just have no clue how to style it, if your hair takes you longer than 15 minutes to do, you need to find a style that works for you. When someone comes into me for a haircut I will do everything in my power to be sure that I understand what they are looking for, even if it means having a 1/2 consultation to be sure we are on the same page.
Please by all means, tell your stylist if you don't like something about what she/he has done to your hair. Most places have a week for a so called grace period, if you don't like something about your cut or color, call. It is easier to fix a haircut than it is your reputation as a stylist. Also, if you don't like the way it looks while you are in the chair say so and don't leave until it is right or else don't pay the service until it is right.

I'm pretty easy-going, so when I get the itch for a new style I just go in and tell them the approximate length I would like and the amount of time I want to spend on it daily. Then I tell them just to surprise me...lol As long as it's within my length and maintenance preference, I'm totally cool with letting them do whatever they think would fit me best, or if they just want to try out a new style/method, I'm a pretty willing guinea pig.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #52
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

I found a great barbershop a few weekes ago. $13 plus tip.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #53
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Well if I didnt have bad luck with hair cuts I wouldnt have any luck at all.Today I went to get a hair cut for the person who has been cutting it for this last year...I had an appointment but whent I got there she was still working with a client,I told her I would wait till she was done..I was siting in the chair with a wet head cause she had to wasnt the gell out before cuting my hair..then she told the other girl who works ther to cut it cause she was going to be a while I said no I will wait but I gess I should have just got up and walke out tho I didnt...I am NOT happy with this cut...It dosent fit me or look right.I have this high brow interview Thursday and I am really not happy about ma hair..it will take at least two weeks to be any where close to normal.I will manage even tho I hate the cut.You can bet I wont be going there again..I dont b*&Ch about the price but do the job right.End of rant..grrrrr!
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #54
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:
Single - gave up the farce

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_boi View Post
Does anyone else get annoyed that women are charged more than guys for haircuts? I can understand if the girl has long hair or a demanding style. But if she has short hair that requires as much effort and essentially is- a guy's cut she should be charged the same.

Your thoughts?
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but....

Many men go to barbers. I go to a hair stylist even though I wear my hair very short. Based on my first hand experience, stylists give a much better haircut. Especially, if you have a cow lick that starts at your knees and runs down the center of your back like mine does.

(No, really. You gotta see it, to believe it.)
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #55
Jessica

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Taken

Jessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST ReputationJessica Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Hair cut

I used to pay to get mine cut. I keep my hair short. I would end up paying $20 to get mine cut. So I got fed up with over priced hair cuts and bought myself a pair clippers. I now can cut my hair whenever I want and it costs me nothing. Cant go wrong with free
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #56
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I used to pay to get mine cut. I keep my hair short. I would end up paying $20 to get mine cut. So I got fed up with over priced hair cuts and bought myself a pair clippers. I now can cut my hair whenever I want and it costs me nothing. Cant go wrong with free

I do the same thing...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #57
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
As a hairstylist I would much rather have you come in and bring a picture of what you are looking for in your hair style. Let me help you to find what will work with your hair type. Some times you may already have the cut you just have no clue how to style it. Just a thought, if your hair takes you longer than 15 minutes to do, you need to find a style that works better for you. When someone comes into me for a haircut I will do everything in my power to be sure that I understand what they are looking for, even if it means having a 1/2 consultation to be sure we are on the same page.

Anyone that can tame MY mane, is damn good. I miss you!!!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #58
Guy

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,574 Times in 889 Posts
Guy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST Reputation

And all this time I thought I was getting a bargain at $15 + tip
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #59
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post

Anyone that can tame MY mane, is damn good. I miss you!!!

I miss you too! I hope you are treating your hair well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
And all this time I thought I was getting a bargain at $15 + tip
That is a fair price for a haircut...

For those of you buying your own clippers and doing your own hair, I hope you remember to clean and oil your blade after every haircut. Using dull clippers is just as bad as getting a bad haircut that you have paid for. Also, remember to replace your blade about every six months or so.

Happy Hair cutting!

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #60
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Rockinonahigh, what are you telling the stylist? Perhaps I can translate it for you into terms they will understand. Do you have a picture of the haircut you are trying to achieve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Well if I didnt have bad luck with hair cuts I wouldnt have any luck at all.Today I went to get a hair cut for the person who has been cutting it for this last year...I had an appointment but whent I got there she was still working with a client,I told her I would wait till she was done..I was siting in the chair with a wet head cause she had to wasnt the gell out before cuting my hair..then she told the other girl who works ther to cut it cause she was going to be a while I said no I will wait but I gess I should have just got up and walke out tho I didnt...I am NOT happy with this cut...It dosent fit me or look right.I have this high brow interview Thursday and I am really not happy about ma hair..it will take at least two weeks to be any where close to normal.I will manage even tho I hate the cut.You can bet I wont be going there again..I dont b*&Ch about the price but do the job right.End of rant..grrrrr!

- Unknown -