Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
I miss you too! I hope you are treating your hair well...

Of course I am not.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #62
DCStone

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

DCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST ReputationDCStone Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Yes, it does make me angry to pay more at the cleaners or for a hair cut. I think I will be making my feelings known next time around. Thanks for the thread.

DCStone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCStone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #63
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Thanked 1,928 Times in 460 Posts
Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

Find a better salon and/or stylist.

Cut/color should be priced by effort/cost not by gender.

Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #64
J. Mason
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Banned 11/9/2011 - Previously banned member back under new name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He and His
Relationship Status:
Single

J. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST Reputation

I got a stylist and it costs me 50 bucks for a wash and cut, kinda pricy but I like her work.

whats the highest yall have ever paid for a hair cut?
J. Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #65
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Mason View Post
I got a stylist and it costs me 50 bucks for a wash and cut, kinda pricy but I like her work.

$39 before tip. I wouldn't be willing to go any higher because I go every 4 weeks. That is already a big luxury to me.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #66
J. Mason
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He and His
Relationship Status:
Single

J. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST Reputation

damn i wish i paid 39 mine is 50 total with tip.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #67
Library_girl

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Femme, girl, babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, & other girly words
Relationship Status:
Married to DJ Bear

Thanked 1,247 Times in 280 Posts
Library_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Oh, I pay more than that, but it's my only indulgence. It comes with a massage and it's very worth it. I went to Supercuts and places like that for years, and always hated my hair.
Library_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #68
J. Mason
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He and His
Relationship Status:
Single

Yeah I was told to stay away from supercuts for many reasons!
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Mason For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #69
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
damn i wish i paid 39 mine is 50 total with tip.
Yes, I am $5 under you. With tip I pay $45.

You could always go somewhere else. A lot depends on location (area you live in), too.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #70
J. Mason
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He and His
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Yes, I am $5 under you. With tip I pay $45.

You could always go somewhere else. A lot depends on location (area you live in), too.

Yeah I thought about going somewhere else but she is so close to my house, so the location is key.
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Mason For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #71
zannadyke

How Do You Identify?:
butch, genderbender, queer, fag-boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible
Relationship Status:
in love with a trans-dude!

zannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputation

There is a new hair salon in our area called "Knock Out" Cuts... and it is a salon geared just for me. The stylists wear cute little referee outfits fashioned in the same similar way the Hooters Girls wear their uniforms. All the stylists are women. The tvs in the place all have sports games on them. But the men who get their haircut there pay an astronomical price. At first, I wanted to get my hair cut there, only because I only ever get a man's cut anyway, but then I realized the cost wasn't worth my time and effort. Where I go, women do get charged more, and long hair cuts are even more. Me, I go in and say. I want a man's cut and want to be charged a man's price. Just pretend I don't have boobs, and you will get a great tip. I ALWAYS get charged the man's price, and my stylist gets the difference in the cut cost in tip.
“Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don’t hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people.” Zig Ziglar
zannadyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #72
zannadyke

How Do You Identify?:
butch, genderbender, queer, fag-boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible
Relationship Status:
in love with a trans-dude!

zannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputationzannadyke Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

The most I have ever paid was $30.... for a #1 around the back and sides, and a trim on top with some blending. I was finished in less than 10 minutes.
“Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don’t hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people.” Zig Ziglar
zannadyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #73
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Yeah ..for some of these prices I'd want to see the boobs flappin in the wind and hangin over my shoulders lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannadyke View Post
There is a new hair salon in our area called "Knock Out" Cuts... and it is a salon geared just for me. The stylists wear cute little referee outfits fashioned in the same similar way the Hooters Girls wear their uniforms. All the stylists are women. The tvs in the place all have sports games on them. But the men who get their haircut there pay an astronomical price. At first, I wanted to get my hair cut there, only because I only ever get a man's cut anyway, but then I realized the cost wasn't worth my time and effort. Where I go, women do get charged more, and long hair cuts are even more. Me, I go in and say. I want a man's cut and want to be charged a man's price. Just pretend I don't have boobs, and you will get a great tip. I ALWAYS get charged the man's price, and my stylist gets the difference in the cut cost in tip.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #74
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I found an awesome stylist who really knew how to cut my long, curly hair. Not everyone can give a good cut for curly hair and I have had some winner haircuts/trims in my day.

She was an outrageous $80. Then she got a job in Newport Beach in Fashion Island- a pricy part of OC. She did not tell me until she presented the bill for $110 that she upped her prices to match the locale. Needless to say, I was upset. That did not include the tip.

Since that time, I have my daughter trim my ends and I trim my own hair. Total cost: $0.00. It is not as bad as is sounds. I used to cut all my friends hair and went to cosmetology school for a few months before changing to an RN program. I just can't bring myself to pay for it anymore. I know they are entitled to a living wage but there comes a point where it feels abusive to me.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #75
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

It took me almost 8 years in Washington to find a barber that I liked and that cut my hair the way I wanted it cut. It was a small shop that had different prices for men and women. She charged me $7.50, which was $2 less than the usual price for a mans cut because my hair is so short.

I imagined it was going to take me awhile to find a place I liked here in SF. A bit of googling led to some sticker shock and I really doubted that I would find a decent barber for less than $25 + tip and then it would just be a crap shoot as to whether I'd even like it.

Nina spend some time on Yelp and found a barber shop with a 5 star rating and sterling reviews from folks with flattops, fades and other assorted short cuts for $12.50. I went in a few days ago and they did a great job. I think it's a better cut than my person in Washington and it cost me $5 more.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #76
stonebutchinpa

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Whatever
Relationship Status:
Single

stonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputationstonebutchinpa Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Dammnnnnnnn! I am soooo cheap. I would never pay $50 to get my hair cut. I think 20 bucks is too much
stonebutchinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #77
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebutchinpa View Post
Dammnnnnnnn! I am soooo cheap. I would never pay $50 to get my hair cut. I think 20 bucks is too much
If I wasn't already with my hair stylist for the past 12-15 (?) years when she went from $19 to $39 in one fell swoop (it was her salon, not her), I wouldn't pay that price, either.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #78
J. Mason
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He and His
Relationship Status:
Single

I pay alot but I always get my stylist on my time and my terms!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #79
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Abusive? Not sure I understand what you are saying so I will ask if you could elaborate. As a stylist I find that most days I don't get paid enough to put up with the attitudes that sit in my chair. I am not only doing my best at cutting/styling/coloring your hair I am also your therapist... all for the lovely sum of 9.75 an hour... and if I am lucky you may tip me after you have paid 14.00 for your hair cut and still complain about the cost even after you have told me you have paid over a 100.00 bucks for the same cut...
Anya, as far as I am concerned what your stylist did to you by not informing you about the price increase was bad form. I do know that most Salons have gone to booth rent which means the stylist pays for the space they use and most of them are at a high cost. Well over 1000 bucks a month and that doesn't include product or taxes.

I have been doing this job for 20 years... I Love what I do and I am very passionate about it and it shows in my work...

*puts her hair cutting soap box away...

Happy Hair cuts everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya/Georgia View Post
I found an awesome stylist who really knew how to cut my long, curly hair. Not everyone can give a good cut for curly hair and I have had some winner haircuts/trims in my day.

She was an outrageous $80. Then she got a job in Newport Beach in Fashion Island- a pricy part of OC. She did not tell me until she presented the bill for $110 that she upped her prices to match the locale. Needless to say, I was upset. That did not include the tip.

Since that time, I have my daughter trim my ends and I trim my own hair. Total cost: $0.00. It is not as bad as is sounds. I used to cut all my friends hair and went to cosmetology school for a few months before changing to an RN program. I just can't bring myself to pay for it anymore. I know they are entitled to a living wage but there comes a point where it feels abusive to me.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #80
Write14u

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm easy
Relationship Status:
She's some kind of wonderful.

Write14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST Reputation

We have a place that sounds similar to the Knockout place minus the cheesy ref outfits and high prices. It's call Sports Clips. They only serve men ...and this butch, who walked in and said, "Hey, wanna cut my hair. I want the same thing those guys want." I've been going there for almost a year. I pay $13 plus a tip. For another four bucks (when I want to splurge), I get this awesome shampoo/massage while sitting in a massaging chair with a hot towel wrap on my face. It's pretty cool. I usually go the lower end because I get my hair cut every four weeks.

I remember when I first cut mine from ear-length short to buzz cut short a couple years ago. I went to my mom's stylist, a woman I'd know for years. She cut my hair with reservations (when my mom saw my hair she said she wasn't going back to her stylist again.) This lady was cutting my bio-male roommate's hair, as well as mine, at the same time. The first two times, she charged him $10 and me $13. After that, she looked up at me one day and said, "I don't know why I'm charging you more." From then on, she charged us the same. She was a great stylist, even if she was a bit hesitant cutting my hair in such a masculine style (small town, what can I say? Plus, she knew my mom hated it.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Write14u For This Useful Post: