Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
dancer611

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
fairy princess :)
Relationship Status:
single

dancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Are butches really a dying breed?

I've heard time and time again that butches are "dying out," that there are tons more femmes than butches and that that trend will likely continue. I haven't been out long and don't know much about the overall community. Is this true, or a myth that people in femme-heavy areas like to throw around?
dancer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dancer611 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

Funny that, I feel the same way about femmes. I think they must be all out of our flavor.
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,125 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

LOL mr. sumshine ... I love that flavor !!
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~ocean For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
musicman

How Do You Identify?:
NA

musicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know about any other butches but I do know this butch is very much here and alive. I'm not going anywhere.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to musicman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

I do believe that is myth...and I think it's a geographical thing. I have said for years that there are really no femmes where I live. Plenty of butches. Perhaps we need a resurging of the femmes in my town!! I sure wouldn't mind!

I think people say that because they want a certain type of butch or femme and when they can't find one they say there are none left. So not true.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Emphatic NO!!! Butches are NOT a dying breed! I would argue that one of the reasons this myth is perpetuating is from a small, but persistent, group of radical feminist lesbians who are bent on somehow proving that the Trans community is recruiting Butches and that Butches are getting the message from Transmen and Transgender Butches, that they are "too Butch" - not possible - and that they should transition, AND that these Butches are following along like sheep to a slaughter. NOT TRUE. I'm not saying that there aren't Butches pressured to transition - I know it does happen - I have had a couple of friends tell me about other people pressuring them to label themselves TG or to consider transition. But I don't think that this is happening on the levels that some radfems would have us believe, and I don't think most Butches, even if pressured, are going to step off into something so major just because someone else tells them to. Not all Transmen even identified as Butch prior to transition - and Butch is NOT a precursor to transition! I think we have a huge population of wonderful, strong, PROUD Butches. I think one explanation is that perhaps there's been some relocation due to the economy, perhaps more concentrations in larger cities, and less in rural areas. But I don't think you have to look too far. I have some amazing Butch friends and I love them dearly - and I think they are awesome, brave people!
BUTCH does not = TRANS! Butch is an identity all it's own, and it isn't going anywhere!

Last edited by SelfMadeMan; 03-29-2012 at 07:28 AM.
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I don’t think butches are a dying breed. I don’t believe people can chose their sex or their gender. I think it is a part of who we are. And if that is true then butch can’t ever die. There will always be some people born with that gender identity. There are not just two or three genders just like there aren’t just two or three sexes. I think there are many different gender and sexual nuances and I think we will find them mixed and matched throughout the spectrum. By that I mean we can find different sexes matched up with different genders, like for example a transwoman who identifies as a butch or a transman who identifies as a femme, vice versa, or female identified butches and masculine identified butches, or anyone of a dozen other variations on sex and gender.

I don’t think something like that dies out. That’s like saying blues eyes are fading out. I don’t think it’s possible. It’s not a fad it's a recessive gene and anyone carrying one will present with blue eyes so it would be very difficult without aggressive purposeful action to wipe out blue eyes. I think the same could be said for butch. Well, not exactly the same, cause who knows if there is a gene for it, but it is not a fad either, it's a gender identity and while one can chose a gender presentation (like when I purposely femme it up as a butch so I can look like I’m in drag) I don’t think we actually get to choose our genders. You are what you are. So in that way I don’t see butch ever dying out.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

All i can say is what a sad, boring, lonely existence it would be for some of us if there were no more butches.

Sounds like a horror movie to me.

It is for sure a planet i would not want to live on.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Boy, I sure hope not!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Princess

How Do You Identify?:
princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her.
Relationship Status:
One singular sensation!

Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,009 Posts
Princess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST Reputation

A sad sad day indeed! I think they are definately not dying out. I do think people need to remember that what some people once considered butch, has really branched out. There are several different categories, you could be boi, stud, andro...all while still being butch. So i think more of...evolving instead of dying out. Does that make sense to anyone? Because it made sense in my head! lol
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Princess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

I live in So Cal, where there are Butches O' Plenty, but what I notice is that the Butch-Femme dynamic is pretty scarce.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,270 Posts
Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation

Perfectly said G...

Ladi & I have said that over and over. I (nor she) has ever seen a butch-fem couple out where we live and wish we had "more" of a community in that sense.

However, there seems to be a good amount of butches here. Maybe we just "don't know" if the females are fem or not. Meaning, it's very hard to detect or that just "may be" in general. Or am I just too oblivated to notice??? I guess that would be a whole other topic. I don't know.

That's why this website (and especially the yearly Reunion(s)) not only for me, but especially for Ladi is so very important. There are women (fems) there just like "herself" which she automatically has bond/bonded with.

Whenever we come home from being with our b-f family we of course have "bash crash" but the "yearning" for more peeps like ourselves out in our neck of the woods makes us sad until we get back to what we know as our "normal life". I miss having our community within arms length.

Hope this makes sense and if it doesn't, you'll have to excuse me because I have so much in my head that it gets a little difficult for me to express sometimes which I believe is A.D.D.!

Best,
-Scorp-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I do believe that is myth...and I think it's a geographical thing. I have said for years that there are really no femmes where I live. Plenty of butches. Perhaps we need a resurging of the femmes in my town!! I sure wouldn't mind! .
Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Princess

How Do You Identify?:
princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her.
Relationship Status:
One singular sensation!

Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,009 Posts
Princess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST ReputationPrincess Has the BEST Reputation

G and Scorp-

We are out there, trust me. There is a whole thread about that issue called Femme invisibility. How would you know how to find us if we "pass" unless we have a stamp across our foreheads or something..
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Princess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

I'm alive and well and thriving!! Full of life and energy. Present and accounted for. I am not dead yet or dying either. I live in femmelessville USA so I know what you mean in a way.. Maybe you should consider moving to a more butchly populated area.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
dancer611

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
fairy princess :)
Relationship Status:
single

dancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputation

So people are mentioning geographical areas a lot...where exactly are these mysterious "butchly populated areas" you speak of? haha
dancer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dancer611 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

I actually have to agree with dancer. I have found exactly the same thing. On the rare occassion that I do see a *fine* butch, he has been discovered, and deliriously happy with a beautiful femme by his side. Other times I have met someone, and it like wow the packaging is there, but.. imposter in a butches clothing..
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

I hate it when zombies dress in butch clothing. Especially when they eat your face.
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSunshine View Post
I hate it when zombies dress in butch clothing. Especially when they eat your face.
OMG!!! I thought I was the only one who hated this!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
I actually have to agree with dancer. I have found exactly the same thing. On the rare occassion that I do see a *fine* butch, he has been discovered, and deliriously happy with a beautiful femme by his side. Other times I have met someone, and it like wow the packaging is there, but.. imposter in a butches clothing..
I once went out with a girl who decided that she could "turn butch" since that was MY preference. I could not make her understand that being butch was about more than the clothes someone wore.

Last edited by LaneyDoll; 03-29-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
LaneyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer611 View Post
So people are mentioning geographical areas a lot...where exactly are these mysterious "butchly populated areas" you speak of? haha
We butches are alive and well in Northern California.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: