Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #2161
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, the bad news is that my river trail has closed for most of the rest of the year so I’m down to the gym for now. I’m going to miss it and have to find a replacement.

So I’m trying to determine the best cardio for me. Nevermind, I need a project. It’s kind of interesting to try the different machines with an unconnected heart rate monitor and realize the differences in “perceived effort”. I ran across the term when checking out the Arc trainer and decided to do some tests. So far I’ve done the elliptical, stairmaster, and both upright and recumbent bikes. I’ve held out on the treadmill because I’m such a klutz I’m pretty sure I’d fall off the back.

So far the stairmaster has the record for getting my heartrate into my target zone the fastest at under 5 minutes, followed by the elliptical at 6-8 minutes. The weird thing is that on the upright bike it took 20 minutes and I was sweating like a dog and on the recumbent I can’t even get there. The limiting factor seems to be leg strength, but I’m really surprised at what a difference just being upright makes over being seated. I’m not using arms on anything so that will probably push the elliptical up although I haven’t done the Arc on my little test yet or the treadmill. The stairmaster tricked me. I have run up and down stairs a lot, I used to be faster than elevators, and until recently lived in a third floor walk-up. I’ll tell you what; having the stairs move under me instead of me moving on fixed stairs takes the prize for me feeling like I’m gonna fall off, that’s for sure.

I wish there were still cross country ski trainers, it would be an interesting comparison. I used to have one way back when and it would kick my butt regularly. Tomorrow I’ll time the Arc and see how fast my HR goes up and see if I can get a winner for most efficient cardio workout by which gets my HR going fastest while killing me the least.

Hey, somebody’s gotta do it.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 AM   #2162
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

My friend Teresa and I have been killing it at the gym! Officially down 10lbs since December. I have 11 more lbs to hit my first goal.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 AM   #2163
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

Totally was not able to get to the gym today BUT I hit 1300 step and most of that was while wearing 25 pound of equipment around my waist. It was a long shift at work and I have gotten held over so I am actually still here. Tomorrow looks to be a better chance to get to the gym but today was just flat out crazy and after getting off at 2am Monday morning I had been going since 630am. However today is a new day and I am one motivated Guy
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #2164
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Well, the bad news is that my river trail has closed for most of the rest of the year so I’m down to the gym for now. I’m going to miss it and have to find a replacement.

So I’m trying to determine the best cardio for me. Nevermind, I need a project. It’s kind of interesting to try the different machines with an unconnected heart rate monitor and realize the differences in “perceived effort”. I ran across the term when checking out the Arc trainer and decided to do some tests. So far I’ve done the elliptical, stairmaster, and both upright and recumbent bikes. I’ve held out on the treadmill because I’m such a klutz I’m pretty sure I’d fall off the back.

So far the stairmaster has the record for getting my heartrate into my target zone the fastest at under 5 minutes, followed by the elliptical at 6-8 minutes. The weird thing is that on the upright bike it took 20 minutes and I was sweating like a dog and on the recumbent I can’t even get there. The limiting factor seems to be leg strength, but I’m really surprised at what a difference just being upright makes over being seated. I’m not using arms on anything so that will probably push the elliptical up although I haven’t done the Arc on my little test yet or the treadmill. The stairmaster tricked me. I have run up and down stairs a lot, I used to be faster than elevators, and until recently lived in a third floor walk-up. I’ll tell you what; having the stairs move under me instead of me moving on fixed stairs takes the prize for me feeling like I’m gonna fall off, that’s for sure.

I wish there were still cross country ski trainers, it would be an interesting comparison. I used to have one way back when and it would kick my butt regularly. Tomorrow I’ll time the Arc and see how fast my HR goes up and see if I can get a winner for most efficient cardio workout by which gets my HR going fastest while killing me the least.

Hey, somebody’s gotta do it.
Kelt, I assume it is adding your body weight to the mix on the steps and elliptical that makes the difference. It is not the same on the bicycles. You have to start working harder right away. The stairs more than the elliptical. That is why it is the winner (I think I am making this whole thing up, but it sounds logical).

I have never liked the stairs because it isn't sustainable for me. I don't like the treadmill because the arches in my feet hurt and my arms aren't getting any resistance. The bike just doesn't get up the heart rate and I burn less calories (plus, again, no workout for the arms). We don't have an Arc at my gym, so it is the elliptical for me. I'm happy with it.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #2165
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Kelt, I assume it is adding your body weight to the mix on the steps and elliptical that makes the difference. It is not the same on the bicycles. You have to start working harder right away. The stairs more than the elliptical. That is why it is the winner (I think I am making this whole thing up, but it sounds logical).

I have never liked the stairs because it isn't sustainable for me. I don't like the treadmill because the arches in my feet hurt and my arms aren't getting any resistance. The bike just doesn't get up the heart rate and I burn less calories (plus, again, no workout for the arms). We don't have an Arc at my gym, so it is the elliptical for me. I'm happy with it.
Spot on, it is the increased body weight for the actual HR. I'm certain that the perception of effort on the bikes is because that set of muscles isn't used to being used that way. Using the weak set makes it feel harder, when the cardio reality is different (for me).

It's that bit about perception I found to be interesting. I also know a really good way to strengthen my quads and lower legs now. Just get on a bike.

Now I'm just going to do the battle of the elliptical and the Arc to see which wins. I'm struggling to sustain my attention in a gym, I gotta make it a wager or something with myself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #2166
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

I was tired last night that was 13000 yikes and why and I up now oh yeah pups needed to go out ugg

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #2167
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

I plan on going to the gym after my shift tonight just going to hit the 30 min circuit after doing the Arc Trainer to warm up I would normally do the Recumbent Bike but darn you Dapper you have me reconsidering.. Anyway at least there will not be to many people there at 2am right!!!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #2168
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

This morning:

T33, random program, level 8
Stats: 224 cal, 1.86 mi, 35:00 min
Intervals: 2 @ 60 sec @ 5.5 mph

I hit the gym an hour early due to an early morning PT appointment, so I was doing this before 5am.

<-- me @ 5 am

Now, for the bad news.

My treadmill has been banned.

For a week.

My PT doc says it allows for poor mechanics and she stressed STRONGLY that I stick with the elliptical or the bike, either recumbent or upright.

Well, damn.

She also told me not to lie to her; that she'd know.

My doc is very talented.

She also wants me to get an MRI. Now, I'm back to that. She's changing her diagnosis too. She thinks it's my hip and not my SI joint now.

What can I say? My body's weird.

She also poked the CRAP out of me this morning. I am very surprised that I don't have more fingerprint bruises.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #2169
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I've been in a cycle of not catching up on my sleep and thus not exercising. It's frustrating. I do well on the weekends and then once the work week starts, I fall apart. Work has been extra busy and the weather has been cold, so I just need to be mentally stronger and stick to better routines. Easier said than done.

I'm not so crazy about the treadmill because it jars my back and feels like too much shock. I don't like to do it every day. I like the stair master because ironically it does not put much pressure on my knees. I hold the sides which takes away all the gravitational pressure and shock, and yet still I can get my heart rate high easily. I find it much more difficult than stair climbing (which I also enjoy) because one can adjust one's pace even unconsciously unlike on a machine where the stairs do not ease up! It gives me a very challenging work-out every time unlike the other machines. I love it!

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #2170
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

So I seem to be struggling to hit my 10 steps during the work week too. I work a desk job and just don't get many opportunities to walk around unless I am walking to and from someone's desk to answer a question. I use my 15 minute breaks to go for walks though at least. I think I am going to have to start using the gym 3 days a week to offset the lack of walking.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #2171
goodlilfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
beautiful , gorgeous, breathtaking
Relationship Status:
running through somebody's mind and my legs are not exhausted in fact they're stronger then ever

goodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputationgoodlilfemme Has the BEST Reputation

walking that's all i do lol . im on my feet all day long. i walk all over my city. i wish i knew how many steps i've taken just in my career alone. well over 10'000 im sure. but walking is good makes me feel good . christmas morning i walked 6 miles on a chrisp beautiful morning. i think i'll do it again soon .
goodlilfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goodlilfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #2172
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

30 minutes of cardio followed by about an hour of strength training exercises. It was great!! :-)

Starry
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 02:23 AM   #2173
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Well after hitting 12000 steps before Midnight, I did get to the gym after shift and did 20 mins on the elliptical then the 30 min circuit and ended with some Squats I think that is enough. was there for a hour and by the end I was the only one there besides employes. It feels good but now I am so ready for some sleep. So off to our comfortable bed I am going.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #2174
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Dear Diary,

I have agreed to give up my beloved treadmill. For a week.

I used the elliptical for half an hour this morning and experienced less than desirable effects. Good news: my hip does feel better. Bad news: now my calf, hamstring, nerve behind the knee and the right side of my knee are raising their voices in protest.

Stats: 250 cal, 1.79 mi, 30:00 min
E21, random program, level 3

At the 6 minute mark, my feet started to burn. My feet repeatedly slipped and I had to continually adjust to make sure they were evenly placed on either foot hold. Then there was the stinging pain at the nerve behind my knee. It. Was. Not. Happy.

*sigh*

I didn't work up a good sweat and Kelt has already posted something eons ago about ellipticals being up to 41% off in their calculations (more than any other piece of equipment, if memory serves me well), so I know I can't trust the numbers shown.

I would be willing to add this to my routine but still use the treadmill most often. I like it. I like walking. I like hiking (outside of nature and the bugs and heat that come with that). I do not like aimlessly wandering in air.

No likey!

Tomorrow I will try the bike.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #2175
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post

Dear Diary,

I have agreed to give up my beloved treadmill. For a week.

I used the elliptical for half an hour this morning and experienced less than desirable effects. Good news: my hip does feel better. Bad news: now my calf, hamstring, nerve behind the knee and the right side of my knee are raising their voices in protest.

Stats: 250 cal, 1.79 mi, 30:00 min
E21, random program, level 3

At the 6 minute mark, my feet started to burn. My feet repeatedly slipped and I had to continually adjust to make sure they were evenly placed on either foot hold. Then there was the stinging pain at the nerve behind my knee. It. Was. Not. Happy.

*sigh*

I didn't work up a good sweat and Kelt has already posted something eons ago about ellipticals being up to 41% off in their calculations (more than any other piece of equipment, if memory serves me well), so I know I can't trust the numbers shown.

I would be willing to add this to my routine but still use the treadmill most often. I like it. I like walking. I like hiking (outside of nature and the bugs and heat that come with that). I do not like aimlessly wandering in air.

No likey!

Tomorrow I will try the bike.
It's heard to change surfaces, no doubt. My feet go numb at about 15-20 minutes, I'm not 100% sure why but I think for me it's because my feet stay in contact and therefore don't flex enough to keep good circulation. It could be my imagination though because it doesn't happen on a bike.

It's not just ellipticals that are off, it's all of them that use HR in their calculations if it is based on the built in grip-style monitors, the sensors need to be re-calibrated regularly and rarely are. Combine that with not being in contact at all times and there is your margin of error. That's why I wear a chest strap that 'talks' to the internal sensor, it's consistent across devices and platforms. If it doesn't have a HR input then it's mostly guessing at your effort level and using an algorithm with age/weight, and time/distance.

For me the bike is the hardest to generate enough effort for reasons Dapper brought up. Tell us how that works out for you, I'd like to see the comparison.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #2176
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Breaking news:

1) Laughed my ass off at this.

2) Really wish I'd had these 30 years ago.

3) Hmm, maybe.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #2177
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Using the elliptical last night I worked up a more sweat then I normally do with 30 mins on the recumbent bike. After 20 mins I was dripping. I had wanted to do the Arc trainer but I think I need to work up to it I was actually surprised that I liked the elliptical as much as I did but I would prefer the bike or the treadmill. However I kind of want to get the most of of my time as I can. I walk a lot at work hit 10 thousand steps pretty much every day and I have 25 pounds of equipment that I have on. Started taking the stairs when I am responding to calls in the buildings unless it is in the one resident hall that has 19 floors then uh no.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #2178
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I got the Boogie Fever all over my room. Great workout.. doing the bump, bump, bump...

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #2179
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

One hour on the treadmill doing jogging/fast walking at an incline intervals

Starry
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #2180
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
It's heard to change surfaces, no doubt. My feet go numb at about 15-20 minutes, I'm not 100% sure why but I think for me it's because my feet stay in contact and therefore don't flex enough to keep good circulation. It could be my imagination though because it doesn't happen on a bike.

It's not just ellipticals that are off, it's all of them that use HR in their calculations if it is based on the built in grip-style monitors, the sensors need to be re-calibrated regularly and rarely are. Combine that with not being in contact at all times and there is your margin of error. That's why I wear a chest strap that 'talks' to the internal sensor, it's consistent across devices and platforms. If it doesn't have a HR input then it's mostly guessing at your effort level and using an algorithm with age/weight, and time/distance.

For me the bike is the hardest to generate enough effort for reasons Dapper brought up. Tell us how that works out for you, I'd like to see the comparison.
I get the numbness right before the burn. Same thing for me; it's better with the treadmill and the bike. The pressure on the bottom of the feet is less consistent with them.

I didn't say the elliptical was the only one who's calculations are off. I said it was the one that was off by the most if I remembered right.

These machines aren't new to me. I'm just irritated that my PT doctor, who is a baby, might know my body more than I do and I've been inside of it for 40 years now.

*grumpy*

My discomfort from this morning continued throughout the day. I didn't want to take anything so I could let her know how it traveled and progressed but I really wanted to.

Did I mention I'm grumpy?

Being tired and very uncomfortable is not a good combination.

*whine*

Quote:
Breaking news:

1) Laughed my ass off at this.

2) Really wish I'd had these 30 years ago.

3) Hmm, maybe.

WTH is that?

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:

Tags
exercise, weights