Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,401 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation
Default What character in movies or books could you most relate to? And why?

This question was asked in the Dare to tell the truth thread. I thought it might make for a fun thread topic. I'm sure at different times of our lives we can relate to different characters.

So tell us What character in movies or books could you most relate to? And why? And at what time in your life was this, if you care to share.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
miss entycing

How Do You Identify?:
dangerous, but worth the risk.
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice.. it's that easy.
Relationship Status:
CapitalM's carved upon my skin.

Location: on the southern edge of sanity, under a carolina moon.
Thanked 8,261 Times in 2,254 Posts
miss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputationmiss entycing Has the BEST Reputation
Smile fun thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
This question was asked in the Dare to tell the truth thread. I thought it might make for a fun thread topic. I'm sure at different times of our lives we can relate to different characters.

So tell us What character in movies or books could you most relate to? And why? And at what time in your life was this, if you care to share.

off the top of my head....

most definately Julia Sugarbaker on Designing Women-
just the way she is... she can be so loving that you wanna cry- then flip and burn your ass before you ever know it was burned..
and all with the most intelligent southern intellect, lol, I love her character!

True strength lies in submission which permits one to dedicate their life,
through devotion,
to something beyond themselves.

Whenever someone awakens fully,
it affects human consciousness at a collective level.
It is like dropping a stone into a dark murky pond.
Ripples of light...
Not one word need be spoken.

Last edited by miss entycing; 03-24-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: edited because I failed to read the thread instructions!
miss entycing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miss entycing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

I was Don Draper (Mad Men) in another life.

At work, totally Ari Gold (Entourage).
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
FR

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
dead

FR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST ReputationFR Has the BEST Reputation

walter matthau in grumpy old men 1&2--ask anyone im a grumpy old butch
and besides he ends up with sofia loren--i'm looking
FR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

yeah, matthau landed Loren, BUT !!! jack lemmon landed ann-margret
I'm gonna miss those two....

Anyways, For me... kinda sorta...

Tevye, from Fiddler on the Roof, trying hard as hell to hold on to cherished Traditions/values amidst a great big ugly Wave of inevitable Change

&

Jo, from Little Women...
her ambition, determination, frustrations with the limitations women faced in her time.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Alex Delaware

I will be honest...

Alex Delaware in the Jonathan Kellerman detective series. He's a forensic psychologist that consults with the LAPD and has a French Bulldog!!!

When I practiced, I did a lot of forensic court testimony in child sexual abuse... and I have a Frenchie! Yup, I first learned about this breed from.. you guessed it... Alex Delaware!

Kellerman practiced as a child psychologist and has put forth an accurate Delaware as shrink. I do identify with this character's altruistic and compassionate nature along with his sleuth reasoning. LOL....

He also has been in love with one woman through the years and never wavers in how deeply he cares for her even during stressful times in their relationship. Just a monogamous gent that enjoys creating a history with a love and being faithful and honest. Yet, understands that they are very separate people. He is a sensualist and often has insomnia, both would describe me. The descriptions of how he feels for his wife (Robyn) reminds me of that old phrase Paul Newman was known for concerning his wife (Joann Woodard) of many, many years... Why eat hamburger when you have steak at home.

Isshhh.. feel a little silly posting this! Kind of a gooshy kind of character to identify with! He also is a true friend to the cop he works with, Detective Milo Sturgis, a gay man and one that does not fit the stereotype at all. This guy is overweight, sloppy with no sense of style in dress and has acne scars. Not much complexity going on at all!!

These books are of my purely for fun reading pleasure! I enjoy the who-done-it psychological meandering. And the French Bulldogs!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

WALL-E and Forest Gump... Either one at any given time.. Always saving, looking for or making pretty for the girl... and both have very special dance steps

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjDwp3kAvDg&feature=related"]YouTube- Wall-E and Eve Kiss and Dance in the Space[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFSXA6qaeMA&feature=related"]YouTube- Forrest Gump - Elvis / Rick Roll[/ame]
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,625 Times in 3,978 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

well, Madam Mim...lol....

oh wait, seriously....Roseann Rosannadanna

heh...ok ok (but both are parts of me, lol)

how about the baba yaga....

oh damn..I cant get out of this mode...I will be back later

but no really...the baba yaga IS who ID with..(and she isnt the wicked old witch of the forest, neither!)

but you want a media person...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

In a way...Miss Marple.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,558 Times in 2,992 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Tom Builder from the book The Pillars of the Earth.
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

Houlden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye for sure!
"All morons hate it when you call them a moron."
~ Holden Caulfield
The Catcher in the Rye

There have been lots of books that have changed me. Really changed me. One of my favorites was The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain. It changed how I thought about life and religion forever. It wasn't just one character - it was the whole book. Night, by Elie Wiesel was another book that did that for me too.

"A God who could make good children as easily a bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave is angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell -- mouths mercy, and invented hell -- mouths Golden Rules and foregiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!"
~ Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger

Then of course Lieutenant Jimmy Cross from The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Stephen Dedalus from Ulysses by James Joyce. And Maya Johnson from I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

ok...I got it...
Jonathon Livingstone Seagull...

"If our friendship depends on things like space and time, then when we finally overcome space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice? " JLS
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,163 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

There have been many books and/or movies that I have identified with the protagonist. I have identified with both the male and female characters.

Starting with my childhood memories there were two books and movies that touched me deeply. "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" and "Little Women." I identified with Mary Frances Nolan in A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and Jo March in Little Women.

Both of these characters were strong and creative. I was just a child but what I saw in them was some sort of message telling me that I was okay. There were other "Tom Boys" like me and we could and would thrive regardless of life circumstances and the opinions and ideas of others. (Below I have cut and pasted an analysis of the two characters from a site called "Spark Notes.")

Mary Frances Nolan - The protagonist of the novel. Francie is the daughter of second-generation Americans living in Brooklyn, New York in the early twentieth century. She is named after her father's dead brother's fiancée. Francie is poor, but bright, observant, and taken by the wonders of the world. She is a combination of her hard-working, practical mother and her imaginative, dreaming father. She has a great capacity to see beauty amidst material hardship. Growing up without luxury, and sometimes without friends, she loves to read, and creates new worlds through her writing.

Jo March
The main character of Little Women, Jo is an outspoken tomboy with a passion for writing. Her character is based in large part on Louisa May Alcott herself. Jo refuses Laurie’s offer of marriage, despite the fact that everyone assumes they will end up together. In the end, Jo gives up her writing and marries Professor Bhaer, which can be seen either as a domestic triumph or as a professional loss, since Jo loses her headstrong independence.

Because she displays good and bad traits in equal measure, Jo is a very unusual character for nineteenth-century didactic fiction. Jo’s bad traits—her rebelliousness, anger, and outspoken ways—do not make her unappealing; rather, they suggest her humanity. Jo is a likely precursor to a whole slew of lovably flawed heroes and heroines of children’s books, among them Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Dug from Up. He's a dog. He's pretty happy and up front about that. He's loyal, forgiving and loving.

Mandy by Julie Andrews. Julie Andrews wrote a few really wonderful children's books. Mandy had a secret life in her little discovered cottage. She cleaned it and decorated it and created a safe world of her own. She was an orphan in an orphanage and spent a lot of time alone reading and dreaming. She had to protect her secret life.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Wednesday from The Addams Family.

SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Write14u

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm easy
Relationship Status:
She's some kind of wonderful.

Write14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST Reputation

I can't say that any one character just totally resonated with me because I was such an avid reader growing up. But I really, really got into the Louis L'Amour characters. They were always these rough and tough loners who were gentlemanly around women and seemed to attract them even when they weren't trying. They were always honorable and fought the good fight, you know? I just always dug that. I guess if there was one that I thought totally fit that mold and exemplified L'Amour's writing, it was a character he brought out for a three-book series. Lance Killkenny.
Killkenny, I could relate to.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Write14u For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I used to think Bond, James Bond.

But as I age, I see that is not so good.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

OH! OH! I got it!!!

Betty White in the Proposal.

I went to that movie with my daughter. When Betty was out in the woods, doing a smudging and elemental circle, my daughter turns to me and whispers, "thats you in a few years"

ROTF...and she is sooooo right!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

The Natural with Robert Redford. When I was young I was always told I reminded people of him. I've changed a lot now though. My hair and clothes etc. were ditto. The Natural mirrors what I have been through.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This thread is great!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: