Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #381
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Triple Feature!

Ransom
Suddenly
Ths Desperate Hours!
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #382
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Jet, is this on today? I haven't checked the schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Triple Feature!

Ransom
Suddenly
Ths Desperate Hours!

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #383
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Lord, I've so many films on both DVD & VHS, and don't know what to watch. TCM seems dismal these days...wonder who the hell is doing the programming!

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #384
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Jet, is this on today? I haven't checked the schedule?
no i just thought i'd mix them together
Old 07-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #385
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Carmin! i thought i might join the discussion over here if i can...unfortunately i am still limited to the films that my library owns on DVD and the three Jet mentioned above do not exist in the catalog.

and i can't even add them b/c we just cleaned out our materials budget! No collection development funds till OCTOBER! (the City Manager was freaking out that we still have so much cash this late in the fiscal cycle and implying we must not need it and that other departments [read- police] might deserve it more)
dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #386
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

Best......Movie......Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxi View Post
just saw "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" and loved it so much.
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #387
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Oh yeah the Ghost and Mrs. Muir I have seen the tv series too.
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #388
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

TCM REMINDER
Featured Actor for July
Gregory Peck

My personal favorites:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Paradine Case
The Big Country
Gentleman's Agreement
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #389
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
TCM REMINDER
Featured Actor for July
Gregory Peck

My personal favorites:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Paradine Case
The Big Country
Gentleman's Agreement

Well i know i can get TKAM at least! The book is having a big anniversary this year...i will cross my fingers on the others! Thank you!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #390
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Well i know i can get TKAM at least! The book is having a big anniversary this year...i will cross my fingers on the others! Thank you!
i got Gentleman's Agreement! It looks really good! I have handwork i need to do tonight so it's a perfect evening to watch a movie.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #391
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Oh! I also got The Thin Man. I have seen it once before years ago but all i remember is the martinis
Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #392
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
TCM REMINDER
Featured Actor for July
Gregory Peck

My personal favorites:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Paradine Case
The Big Country
Gentleman's Agreement
I LOVE The Paradine Case! And, of course, To Kill a Mockingbird....both were on last night

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #393
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I watched Gregory Peck last night, I really enjoyed it.

One movie he did that does bother me is The Boys from Brazil. I'm sensitive to anything antisemtic or fascist especially Josef Mengele.

But Peck and Laurence Olivier (as Simon Weisenthal or from the foundation, I forget) deliver great performances. It's nice to see two giants in one movie.
It's just kind of weird to see Gregory Peck play a maniac.

See ya at the movies fellow classic cinema comrades.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #394
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

I loved Gentleman's Agreement!

My very very first thought was that I found the foley intrusive and noticed some repetition- same horn honk pattern on two different street scenes- but the lighting was amazing! Esp. when Phil visits Mr. Minify for the first time and you can see the shadow of a plant on the back wall...

I liked the foreshadowing re: her weakness of character conveyed in Kathy's cocktail-party semi-mocking, half-defensive self-analysis

I wonder if, the first two times we see Ma, she is wearing those jarring loud prints to confer a vitality that she will subsequently lose? And is that why the makeup artist allowed more face-shine when everyone else was in that gorgeous matte makeup b&w films always have? If so i am not sure it was successful...

The whole marriage talk seemed really sudden to me- i get that the mores of the time left no other avenue once you swapped spit with a 'nice girl,' but she was a divorcee. Maybe time was telescoped and i missed it.

I love the secretary but her reaction when she hears about the change in hiring policy so totally reminds me of how closeted queers will show hostility to out queers (this has happened to me).

And the off-hand revelation about said hiring policies- could have been the major conflict and i am not sure it shouldn't have been, i felt like the story bogged down for maybe just a moment after Dave showed up.

So shocking the way he grabbed Miss Wales's arm in their last scene together- TOTALLY could not do that now!

That final scene is just gorgeous, and once again i am struck by how the limitations of b&w really brought out production creativity, e.g. the checkered floor outside Kathy's apartment.

All in all a really gorgeous and touching movie! I'm glad i got to see it! thanks for the recommendation!
The Following User Says Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #395
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

To be honest, I haven't seen Gentleman's Agreement for some time, but I do have it. So it's hard for me to comment on production. I do know that Elia Kazan won as best director. I'm guessing what you're seeing is Kazan's gritty realism, which was his signature such as On The Waterfront. and Streetcar Named Desire.

I'm more taken with its antisemetic theme in post-war and the lengths Philip Greene goes through to prove antisemitisim and bigotry in the United States. Highly-sensitive stuff after the liberation of the Nazi death camps just a couple of years earlier.

The woman who plays Greene's mother (I forget her name, I think its Anne Revere) was later black-balled in the MacArthy hearings on communism in 1952; it ruined her career. Kazan, on the other hand, was a witness and basically lost respect and freinds in Hollywood after snitching on them.

See ya at the movies.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #396
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
To be honest, I haven't seen Gentleman's Agreement for some time, but I do have it. So it's hard for me to comment on production. I do know that Elia Kazan won as best director. I'm guessing what you're seeing is Kazan's gritty realism, which was his signature such as On The Waterfront. and Streetcar Named Desire.

I'm more taken with its antisemetic theme in post-war and the lengths Philip Greene goes through to prove antisemitisim and bigotry in the United States. Highly-sensitive stuff after the liberation of the Nazi death camps just a couple of years earlier.

The woman who plays Greene's mother (I forget her name, I think its Anne Revere) was later black-balled in the MacArthy hearings on communism in 1952; it ruined her career. Kazan, on the other hand, was a witness and basically lost respect and freinds in Hollywood after snitching on them.

See ya at the movies.
I remember when he got the 1999 Lifetime Achievement Oscar how half the audience wouldn't stand up!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #397
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Watching "Nora Prentiss" on TCM

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #398
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
I remember when he got the 1999 Lifetime Achievement Oscar how half the audience wouldn't stand up!
I remember that, too. But I'm turned off when actors use the awards as a venue for expressing their political views. I didn't like it when George C. Scott did it or when Marlon Brando did it by having an Native American pick up his Oscar with a political message. I don't think the awards are the time or place. Just my .02
I thought the Oscars this year were pretty good despite one uncomfortable moment when that woman (Best Documentary or something) started to rant on stage.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #399
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I remember that, too. But I'm turned off when actors use the awards as a venue for expressing their political views. I didn't like it when George C. Scott did it or when Marlon Brando did it by having an Native American pick up his Oscar with a political message. I don't think the awards are the time or place. Just my .02
I thought the Oscars this year were pretty good despite one uncomfortable moment when that woman (Best Documentary or something) started to rant on stage.
Yeah it's pretty cheap when they do that...but politicizing awards shows doesn't irk me near as much as actors and other celebrities discussing spirituality...Madonna and Kabbalah, Sting and Tantra, etc, etc...i don't like it b/c they are always so smug about it and it just seems so elitist- like, "well sure you had an epiphany! you have bazillions of dollars to pay the best teachers and make the ultimate pilgrimage and the luxury of immersing yourself completely- the average person has no hope of approaching that level of opportunity, so how bout you just don't mention it?"
Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #400
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

The Thin Man- what the heck was i doing when i originally saw this? i can't believe i said "all i remember is the martinis" (although i think i was only like nineteen).

I have an extremely extensive (and kinda expensive) education in aesthetics and criticsim, but the only technical notes i made were regarding the super-tight shots of MacCauley putting Wynant into a taxi and Nora being "walked" by Asta (obviously due to the physical limitations of the production and budget), and the evocative super-long shadow cast by Wynant as we walks away from Julia's apartment (the last time we see him alive)

Shortly after that Nick and Nora pretty much charmed the critic panties right off me and all my notes are of the "OMG five martinis!" and "Gilbert is so cute!" variety lol (love Gilbert "I have a mother fixation but it's slight" "can i see the body? i've never seen a dead body" plus the public library is his alibi! WIN)

LOVE the face Nick makes when Norah walks in on him comforting Dorothy and him shooting the Christmas tree from between his slippers

Oh wait there's one more technical note "no long shots ever lol"

i see from the literature that the film was shot in twelve days and that this was considered extravagant at the time. Really a remarkable achievement.

Are the sequels as good?