Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #441
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Purina Cat Food recall: Potential Health Risk to Animals and Humans

Nestlé Purina PetCare
www.purina.com

St. Louis, Missouri, July 29, 2011

Nestlé Purina Recalls Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ Dry Cat Food Bags Due to a Potential Health Risk

Pets with Salmonella infections may exhibit decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If you pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian

The product was distributed to customers located in California, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio and Wisconsin, who may have further distributed the product to other states.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company (NPPC) is voluntarily recalling a limited number of 3.5- and 7-pound bags of its Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ Dry Cat Food from a single production run and shipped to customers in 12 states. This is being done because some bags of the product have been found to be contaminated with Salmonella. Only Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ Dry Cat Food with both the “Best By” date and the production code shown are included in this voluntary recall:

Product Name Bag “Best By” Date & Bag UPC
Size Production Code* Code

Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ 3.5 lb. MAY 2012 03341084 17800 01885

Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ 3.5 lb. MAY 2012 03351084 17800 01885

Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ 7 lb. MAY 2012 03341084 17800 01887

Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ 7 lb. MAY 2012 03351084 17800 01887

*”Best By” Date and Production Code are found on the back or bottom of the bag.

No additional Purina cat or dog products are involved in this voluntary recall. No other Purina ONE brand products are involved. Only Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ brand products which match the “Best By” dates and production code above are included in this recall.

Consumers who have purchased Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ Dry Cat Food products with these specific “Best By” Date and Production Codes should discontinue feeding the product and discard it.

Salmonella can affect animals eating the product, and there is a risk to humans from handling contaminated products. People handling contaminated dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company became aware of the contamination as a result of samples that had been collected in several retail stores.

At Nestlé Purina PetCare, the safety and efficacy of our products are our top priority. We apologize for any inconvenience due to this voluntary recall. For further information or to obtain a product refund, please call NPPC toll-free at 1-800-982-6559 or visit www.purina.com .
Consumer Contact: Nestlé Purina PetCare Office of Consumer Affairs: 1-800-982-6559
Media Contact: Keith Schopp – 314-982-2577

CHECKERBOARD SQUARE
ST. LOUIS, MO 63164-0001, USA
TEL. 314 982 1000
FAX 314 982 2752
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #442
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

It was a rough day at the Farm today. I had to let Ike go. He was a great dog in his own quirky little way. I'm really going to miss that dog. The house is empty without him.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #443
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Anyone who is low-income living in Illinois or NW Indiana can now have any cat fixed for only $20.00 via Calumet SNAP-1-708-755-1110.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #444
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Great thread, and I'm subscribing.

In NW Indiana, Anderson's Feline Reduction Center in Beverly Shores is also a fine resource.

Dr. Anderson at the Anderson Feline Population Reduction Center works with both owned cats, and feral/stray cats. All cats are $50, and this fee includes the surgery itself, a pain shot, a rabies vaccination, treatment for visible parasites (ear mites, worms, fleas), a dose of Revolution, a shot of penicillin,and a physical exam; other vaccinations or testing is additional. The clinic operates on Saturdays, and is cash only. Dr. Anderson’s is a low-cost, high-volume spay/neuter clinic, and does not provide other veterinary services.

12 US Highway 12, Beverly Shores, Indiana. (219).861.9006
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #445
Daddislilgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married to the butch of my dreams!

Daddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Hi y'all! I'm Daddislilgrrl, and we run Andrews Rescue and Foster Care. We rescue small breed dogs from animal control offices, and we bring them home, get them vetted, housebreak them and crate train them. They go to their new home with their crate and we adopt all over the country if there's an exceptional home

To see who we have available, go to www.petfinder.com and seach for dogs in Andrews TX.

Hugs,
Daddislilgrrl
Daddislilgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daddislilgrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #446
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddislilgrrl View Post
Hi y'all! I'm Daddislilgrrl, and we run Andrews Rescue and Foster Care. We rescue small breed dogs from animal control offices, and we bring them home, get them vetted, housebreak them and crate train them. They go to their new home with their crate and we adopt all over the country if there's an exceptional home

To see who we have available, go to www.petfinder.com and seach for dogs in Andrews TX.

Hugs,
Daddislilgrrl

It's always nice to see a fellow animal lover

I have done cat rescue in the past and am still with 11 rescues out of 36. It would be great to find homes for more of them, but past getting them fixed and bringing them home after their vet visit, I've never taken them back to the vet ...well, 'cept my little queen, who came with me from IL. She needs allergy shots regularly and ointment because she licks the fur right off her belly at times. If I had the money to ship my cats to other states, I'd be happy to send them off to good homes. Just that I don't ask for money to adopt them out because I don't have an adoption agency. All I ever wanted was good homes for them. I suppose if someone wanted one of them, they could figure out how to get them to their place.

I think it's great that we have so many kind, caring animal people on this site.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #447
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

Goodness gracious. I have another senior here. There is a hot seat in hell for people who dump seniors at the shelter. She was part of a breeding pair, the male was so sick the shelter had to let him go. They called me to come get her. She's been over bred and then over bred some more. She's a sweet girl, with a wacky sense of humor. I named her Miss Cleo.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #448
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

I had another dog through her last month. He was a starved GSP. Super sweet dog. He wanted to press his head against me all of the time. I tried to get him to eat to no avail. I gave him to a friend of mine to foster, she only got him to eat some and she was cooking for him. She had X-rays done and nothing was there. Six days later another set and something was so egregious they opened him up. He was full of cancer so they let him go. He was a great dog and I'm happy that the last three weeks of his life were full of home cooked meals and love. We named him Sport.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #449
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:

SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation
Default They are some of the gentlest dogs I've ever had the honor to meet.

This is as insupportable as greyhound racing is.

Ticks “Crawling up the Wall” in Kennel at Tucson Greyhound Park

With each passing month, more evidence emerges of humane problems at Tucson Greyhound Park. Last week, GREY2K USA received new state records that document neglectful conditions in one of the track kennels, as well as an ongoing problem with greyhound injuries.

According to a March 6, 2012 Arizona Department of Racing Stewards Report, a state inspection revealed “ticks crawling up the wall” in the Brian Lewis Kennel:

“Brian Lewis kennel had ticks crawling up the wall behind the crates during a State Inspection and TGP Management told State Officials that the kennel would be addressed as far as cleanliness and to this date nothing has been done.”

This is not the first time that poor kennel conditions have been documented at Tucson Greyhound Park. In fact, similar conditions have been documented at the facility over and over again. Sadly, it’s becoming all too obvious that track management is simply incapable of addressing this chronic problem.

Meanwhile, the same March 6 Stewards Report also documents continued problems with track conditions at Tucson. The Stewards Report refers to a previous meeting between kennel operators and track General Manager Tom Taylor, and states:

“After nothing was resolved from a meeting with the GM and trainers/owners, some trainers/kennel operators are now holding the State responsible for all the injuries at Tucson Greyhound Park. As you can see there are 7 scratched greyhounds tonight ‘ALL LAME’”

Later in the report, state officials indicate that one kennel owner contacted them directly to voice her concerns:

“Donna Mann called the Stewards off the roof to talk about the out of control injuries. She has a list of 17 injuries which she gave to management, the racing office, and left copies in the racing office titled ‘DAN’ and the Director of Racing asked ‘why do you need him it’s our issue’ and to date Dan Reinertson has not received copies.”

Finally, it’s important to note that this Stewards Report also provides evidence that track management is indifferent to humane problems at Tucson Greyhound Park. Reading through the records, a sad pattern emerges. The state documents neglectful conditions in a track kennel, management tells the state they will address it, but then nothing happens. Kennel owners hold a meeting with management about injuries, but “nothing (i)s resolved.” A kennel owner takes her concerns about injuries directly to state officials, but the track Director of Racing discourages her from reporting the problem.

This indifference by Tucson Greyhound Park management is part of the problem. It proves that the track is incapable of being a good corporate citizen, and cannot be trusted to resolve even the most basic humane issues at the facility. That is why it’s time for Arizona lawmakers and voters to step up and help the greyhounds. If they don’t, no one will.

For more information, go to SavingGreys.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/ticks-cr...#ixzz1t9nNfGxg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #450
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Blech!

Poor Sport was covered with ticks when he got here. My vet pulled them all off of him. He was visibly happier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #451
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:

Help Sad Animals at Lagoon Amusement Park

by Alicia Graef
April 27, 2012

80 comments Help Sad Animals at Lagoon Amusement Park

A group of animal advocates are calling for a boycott of the Lagoon Amusement Park in Farmington, Utah due to the poor conditions the animals are kept in.

A variety of wild and exotic animals can be seen from the park’s Wild Kingdom Train Ride, ranging from miniature donkeys and deer to elk, bears, Siberian tigers, Canadian lynx and camels, among others, who are kept in small enclosures with dirt or concrete floors that provide minimal space and no environmental enrichment. It might be advertised as the second largest zoo in the state, but the facility is not designed to properly house the species of animals that reside there.

“Lagoon has failed to meet minimal federal standards for the care of animals used in exhibitions as established in the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has cited Lagoon numerous times for failure to provide veterinary care to sick and dying animals, filthy enclosures, inadequately trained employees, and failure to provide animals with adequate space. Lagoon has had a high death rate and several unexplained deaths,” said Jordan Kasteler, who organized the group and operates LagoonSucks.com.

Lagoon spokesman Dick Andrew has denied allegations of abuse, claiming that there are four veterinarians who monitor the animals regularly and staff members who work with the animals every day, according to the AP …although ABC 4 News reports that he said they have three vets. Maybe he doesn’t really know.

Regardless, it doesn’t matter if there are vets nearby when no one calls them, or inaccurately communicates the issues when they do actually call, or when employees are not properly trained to monitor the behavior, health and well being of the animals in their care and don’t recognize problems when they arise in the first place.

Andrew also stated that the last USDA violation was in 2006 for a paperwork issue, but the most recent violation was in 2011 for failure to maintain a program of parasite control for its leopards, which included failure to follow up after treatment for intestinal worms to ensure that they were gone and the leopards were healthy.

The list of USDA violations is enough to leave anyone wondering why Lagoon has been continuously allowed to keep animals. A fallow deer fawn didn’t live through its first 48 hours because no one observed whether or not it was nursing, as directed by a veterinarian. Bison were found with no water. Sheep were found with nowhere to lay down in the shade because of the “concentration of feces that had accumulated’ in their shelter. This problem had been previously noted by an inspector seven times. Animals were left with overgrown hooves, but it was undetermined if this was because no one was maintaining records for when they were due for regular hoof care, or because no one actually knew they needed it.

Elk were found with ribs showing. Multiple animals were found limping, with no records regarding treatment or followup care. A common theme in most of the violations is that no record keeping system is in place or maintained to ensure that all of the animals receive appropriate veterinary care, but the list goes on and on.

However, this isn’t the first time issues over animal care been called out at Lagoon. The Utah Animal Rights Coalition has been continuously protesting the zoo’s conditions after reportedly receiving “hundreds of phone calls” from the park’s visitors who were upset over the state of the animals at the zoo, while others have spoken out on their own.

The park has plenty of other attractions for visitors that don’t involve animals. It is not a rescue, a sanctuary or an accredited zoo. The animals are practically a sideshow trapped in an environment that they don’t belong in and there is simply no reason for them to be there.

Kasteler said group plans to continue with protesting until their are actual changes.

TAKE ACTION!

Please sign and share the petition asking Lagoon Amusement Park to stop imprisoning the animals in its care and let them go to facilities that are better suited meet their needs.

Please sign the petition here -

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/lag...-imprisonment/

You will find the article here -

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/help-sad...#ixzz1tLPH9tzg
The Following User Says Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #452
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:

Dog that was spared the death penalty is released

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A mutt who sat on doggy death row for more than a year before given a reprieve is now officially free from government captivity and headed toward TV stardom. Prada, the 4-year-old pit bull mix that was ruled vicious and ordered put down, was released Thursday from Nashville's Animal Control facility, where the dog had been held since January 2011.

Prada was ordered put down after attacking several other dogs. A judge spared the dog's life after the Villalobos Rescue Center in New Orleans agreed to take the animal. The center is featured in Animal Planet's reality TV show "Pitt Bulls and Parolees," which puts ex-convicts and abused dogs together so both man and animal can be rehabilitated. "Prada loves these people," Nicole Andree, the dog's former owner said after a representative from the rescue center came to Nashville to collect the dog.

Andree, a 35-year-old childless real estate agent, fought a lengthy court battle to spare the dog, vowing never to stop until she got Prada off death row. But she had to agree to give up her beloved pet to save the animal's life. The judge lifted the death order after Nashville lawyers said they would not object if Prada went to the rescue center. The dog, however, must stay there for the rest of its life. Andree says she plans to visit Prada at the center. She believes the dog will have a good life there.

http://news.yahoo.com/dog-spared-dea...230245022.html
The Following User Says Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #453
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
With Hollywood once again glorifying horse racing I wanted to bring attention to what a cruel and inhumane sport it can be.

PETA on horse racing:

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-i...se-racing.aspx

The season is well underway and the cruelty continues.

Quote:
BREAKDOWN: Death and disarray at America’s racetracks

At 2:11 p.m., as two ambulances waited with motors running, 10 horses burst from the starting gate at Ruidoso Downs Race Track 6,900 feet up in New Mexico’s Sacramento Mountains.

Nineteen seconds later, under a brilliant blue sky, a national champion jockey named Jacky Martin lay sprawled in the furrowed dirt just past the finish line, paralyzed, his neck broken in three places. On the ground next to him, his frightened horse, leg broken and chest heaving, was minutes away from being euthanized on the track.

For finishing fourth on this early September day last year, Jacky Martin got about $60 and possibly a lifetime tethered to a respirator.

The next day, it nearly happened again. At virtually the same spot, another horse broke a front leg, pitching his rider headfirst into the ground. The jockey escaped serious injury, but not the 2-year-old horse, Teller All Gone. He was euthanized, and then dumped near an old toilet in a junkyard a short walk from where he had been sold at auction the previous year.

In the next 24 hours, two fearful jockeys refused their assigned mounts. The track honored two other riders who had died racing. As doctors fought to save Mr. Martin’s life, a sign went up next to the track tote board: “Hang in there, Jacky. We love you.”

On average, 24 horses die each week at racetracks across America. Many are inexpensive horses racing with little regulatory protection in pursuit of bigger and bigger prizes. These deaths often go unexamined, the bodies shipped to rendering plants and landfills rather than to pathologists who might have discovered why the horses broke down.

In 2008, after a Kentucky Derby horse, Eight Belles, broke two ankles on national television and was euthanized, Congress extracted promises from the racing industry to make its sport safer. While safety measures like bans on anabolic steroids have been enacted, assessing their impact has been difficult because many tracks do not keep accurate accident figures or will not release them.

But an investigation by The New York Times has found that industry practices continue to put animal and rider at risk. A computer analysis of data from more than 150,000 races, along with injury reports, drug test results and interviews, shows an industry still mired in a culture of drugs and lax regulation and a fatal breakdown rate that remains far worse than in most of the world.

read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us...anted=all&_r=0
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #454
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
The season is well underway and the cruelty continues.
#@$@#$(*)_()*(*@#$@#@!!!!!! I can't fucking believe this shit happens, it brings out my potty mouth, and a deep loathing for human beings who find these events entertaining, or who choose to turn a blind eye to the horrors of what is happening. In my opinion, it is all about human greed, and that is just evil.

Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post: