Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #61
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation
Default I bailed on responding above. >8-o

Something I was reading on FOX:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-unlikely-one/

This article is about eliminating the federal dept of ed. Now, that would effectively kill the idea of national ed standards. (i think)

Obama makes a statement toward the end about how RI students may not need the same education as TX students, or wherever. This is an old assumption, based on a much less mobile workforce, that should be challenged. Natl politics is trying to keep the states happy with that one. It should so totally be taken out of their hands, as I understand AJ to be advocating, too.

By the way, in practical application, NCLB threw the educational publishing industry--and education in general-- into a frenzy. Teaching took a much reduced role in the market for variety of teaching materials. And the money, time (incl classroom time), and the teacher/admin focus has all gone into testing.

Don't even get me started on how Alt Testing is done. I managed production of Florida's Alt testing and it finally dawned on me what was going on. This is not the thread for it, I guess. Shit, I'm always doing that. Sorry! Anyway, Alt testing is about inclusiveness in testing, not about inclusiveness in student learning.

Last edited by tapu; 09-26-2011 at 08:19 AM.
tapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #62
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
Something I was reading on FOX:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-unlikely-one/

This article is about eliminating the federal dept of ed. Now, that would effectively kill the idea of national ed standards. (i think)

Obama makes a statement toward the end about how RI students may not need the same education as TX students, or wherever. This is an old assumption, based on a much less mobile workforce, that should be challenged. Natl politics is trying to keep the states happy with that one. It should so totally be taken out of their hands, as I understand AJ to be advocating, too.

By the way, in practical application, NCLB threw the educational publishing industry--and education in general-- into a frenzy. Teaching took a much reduced role in the market for variety of teaching materials. And the money, time (incl classroom time), and the teacher/admin focus has all gone into testing.

Don't even get me started on how Alt Testing is done. I managed production of Florida's Alt testing and it finally dawned on me what was going on. This is not the thread for it, I guess. Shit, I'm always doing that. Sorry! Anyway, Alt testing is about inclusiveness in testing, not about inclusiveness in student learning.
I don't think that's what Obama is saying at all. He's saying that children in RI may need to be taught in a different way from student in TN, not that they need a different education. The problem with NCLB is that it's a one-size-fits-all method of education, and all children don't learn the same way. All children need to learn the same things, but that doesn't mean they all need to be taught those things in exactly the same way.
The Following User Says Thank You to SecretAgentMa'am For This Useful Post: