Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 01-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation
Default What is your earliest Internet memory?

When I was an undergraduate at the University of California in the early 80s, I was in a Linguistics class where they gave us what was later called an email address. This worked within the UC computer system and we used it to submit homework, ask the professor questions, and have personal communications (about class-related content/work) with other students in the class.

I remember it seemed almost mystical. The idea of personal computers (Apple was just launching) being able to communicate in a web or network was mind-boggling.

Later on, we learned about its beginnings on "The Well," out of San Francisco, and I time it with the original MacIntosh (?) and the gray scale graphics. Some time later on, I was signing up on BBS's on a rudimentary pc at home, and eventually AOL, which used graphics that were "drawn" with repeated keyboard characters at the time--I kid you not!

I'd love to flesh out this memory with others who were primed at that time to embrace the new technology. I'd also love to hear anyone of any age's story about early internet experiences.

~the tapu
tapu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tapu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

My earliest memory of the internet is an auditory one - the boing boing, crackle crackle, swish sound of my modem connecting me to a new world.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Oh my god, of course. I can hear it if I just think about it. Can you place it in time, or development? Were you on BBSs before and then on a service like AOL? Do you know anything about The Well?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tapu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
Oh my god, of course. I can hear it if I just think about it. Can you place it in time, or development? Were you on BBSs before and then on a service like AOL? Do you know anything about The Well?
It was 1994, AOL was my service provider. I don't know anything about The Well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Me and two heterosexual couples chatting with randoms over aol at the home of the only one of us who owned a computer

Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
SirLucian

How Do You Identify?:
Revenant I Have Become Indestructible
Preferred Pronoun?:
Vampir
Relationship Status:
Ageless One / My Coven, Commanding an Embodied Authority Not Ruled By External Opinions Or Behaviors

SirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST ReputationSirLucian Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Unhappy Best ever

found the best friends ever...............
Best Loves ever

But it has changed and this make Me very sad
There is a certain Darkness here
Rock Walls Dripping with anticipation
Life is too long to Live alone
Family is Everything
SirLucian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SirLucian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Early 90s in college. Had a professor who was insisting that we all communicate with him via email. Which meant going to a computer lab and getting an account, and so on. So I didn't. And the teacher was frustrated.

Then a different teacher, not my teacher, and someone who I had become good friends with through a writing group, told me about email and took me to the lab to set up an account with me and we both emailed and did some archaic version of instant messaging and I was like, Whoa.

Then said teacher got totally addicted to the wealth of worthless and some worthy information on the internet and spent a couple of months staying up all night at the computer lab printing stacks of paper. Including a list of the 20 most creative ways to fail your finals in college. Which he printed and we ran around campus at 2am tacking up on the walls of big test rooms.

A few years later I was working on my senior thesis and it turned out most of my information (data on violence against women in prison) was available online through underground sources, vs in books or newspapers, and I was one of the first people in my department to turn in a thesis largely sourced from internet research, rather than books. ( I still did good old fashioned letter writing and interviews, but due to the nature of the subject, there was a lot more info online than individuals who wanted to go on the record talking to me)

I didn't know how to copy paste, so I had to hand write out all of the URLs in my notebook and then type them out again on paper to site sources.

I feel very old now.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

That is fucking excellent!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tapu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

My long-term ex and I got our first computer in 1989, it cost a fortune, was very large and I got so excited every day when I dialed up and heard: "You've got mail"!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

We got our first in home internet connection in my junior year of high school. I used to sneak down to the office at night, wait for the dial-up connection... and chat with folks in Scotland and England on Yahoo! Voice Chat...
Old 01-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

I was twelve years old, back in like 1998 or 1999, on AOL. I am glad to have left those days behind.
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

early 90s playing ascii oregon trail on those big boxy computers in second grade at school.

i think we got a computer at home when i was 8 or so (so 1996?) - i remember looking up stuff that i wasn't supposed to (specifically about paganism) and trying to hide it from my mom, hehehehe.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

The grateful dead chat room on AOL.... Probably like 1995??? I was way to young to be in there and there were way too many old creepies but it was fun!!!!

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
fatallyblonde

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her

fatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputation

oh man... I do remember the magic of the internet, this whole new world being opened to us... it was so mythical... so bizarre, the concept of it so wild.
It was about 1995... I looked up Who Framed Roger Rabbit, one of my fave ever movies, and came across a fansite... ahhhh the rush of nostalgia!
fatallyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fatallyblonde For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,103 Times in 8,595 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default Earliest Internet memory

I read a piece on the difference between Jiffy Mix and homemade cornbread on USENET in one of the social culture newsgroups. It was a brilliant and hilarious article. This was before AOL, or blogs, etc. The ISPs were Delphi, Earthlink, Mindspring and some others ... and dial-up modems ruled. USENET was available at most (all?) universities.

Last edited by Orema; 06-24-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
ProfPacker

How Do You Identify?:
butch/MOC
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy/hym/hys but in circumstances like work and some other places she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,187 Posts
ProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST Reputation

yes, Earthlink an Prodigy. I had a computer in 1985 but I think my ex and I really connected to the internet via prodigy when she was going to China to adopt our oldest...we were so excited that we could instantly see the weather. By her second trip in 2006 we were skyping
ProfPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ProfPacker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #17
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,103 Times in 8,595 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmepacker View Post
yes, Earthlink an Prodigy. I had a computer in 1985 but I think my ex and I really connected to the internet via prodigy when she was going to China to adopt our oldest...we were so excited that we could instantly see the weather. By her second trip in 2006 we were skyping
Yes, I remember Prodigy... and I had an Atari computer in 1985. I got it from Chemical Bank in NYC. They were giving away Atari computers to customers to use their online banking service called "Pronto." Someone gave me a demo in the bank and I signed up.

I was able to connect to some BBS boards, but not the internet in 1985. When I finally did get on in the early 1990s, I needed to know DOS and that wasn't happening. I finally got on the internet in the summer of 1995 using Delphi then I switched to Earthlink and stayed with them for a few years.

Last edited by Orema; 06-24-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #18
stargazingboi

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~

Thanked 8,321 Times in 1,626 Posts
stargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputation

I remember in the late 80s seeing my first computer in a college accounting class and being shown how to navigate Dos to connect to the email system to submit homework
stargazingboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stargazingboi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #19
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,249 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

i was 30 years old when i got my first home computer which may seem strange to those who have not known life with out a computer...and it is hard to explain how an inatimate object can make your heart race when it says "you've got mail" but looking back...it did...hahahaha
cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
Queenie

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,891 Times in 523 Posts
Queenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST Reputation

My earliest memory of the Internet was when I was 14 and my father got our first family computer. I remember using it for school reports and looking recipes for cookies. I do kinda miss the sound of dial up tho.
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: