Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 06-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

We got the internet when I was about 12 years old I think (around '97 maybe). Some of the earliest things I remember is setting up my first hotmail account, discovering teen and music chatrooms and then later trolling MSN chatrooms. The latter were often Latter Day Saints/Born Again ones where I would spout off random Slayer lyrics as everyone hurried to reform me...yep I was that barely pubescent douchebag Thankfully the novelty (but not my love for Slayer) wore off fast and to this day don't know why I was so amused by it in my proto-internet days lol
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #22
deathbypoem

How Do You Identify?:
Poetically versed to breathe only truth and bleed certainty
Preferred Pronoun?:
Kane
Relationship Status:
Married to Chefnaction

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,586 Posts
deathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputation

hmm.. Chatting on napster! lmao and ICQ! hahaha.. wow. yeah. old times.

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own

Last edited by deathbypoem; 06-25-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: had to add an additional note.
deathbypoem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deathbypoem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 02:11 AM   #23
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I was about 26 and went to Uni (be in 96-ish). I went online and used Dogpile to look up something and then moved on the linked journal data bases for research.

The first social thing I ever did on line was look at match.com. Met my first long term gf that way. Then I found a blog (weren't called blogs back then. it was just sort of a profile web page) of a femme writing about being with a stone butch and all of a sudden the world hit me. I followed her links to the butchfemme dash site. That was in 99. my first chat room was there. I never did IRC or AOL. No point.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #24
snowbrdr303

How Do You Identify?:
Butch/Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey buddy
Relationship Status:
Ecstatic <3

snowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputationsnowbrdr303 Has the BEST Reputation

BBS services accessible via telnet and what not. Early/mid 90s....My friends and I would stay up late trying to find various BBSs with games (entirely text based, don't fool yourself). Or building our own and connecting to one another's computer. All the while trying to muffle the sounds of the obnoxious dial-up modems from our parents. Thank god for broadband.

Then after that came Prodigy (remember Prodigy? Yeah exactly) and AOL.

I still mess around with computers all day. :/
snowbrdr303 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snowbrdr303 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #25
Cailin

How Do You Identify?:
Female.. and it's pronounced "cah-leen", not cay-lin
Preferred Pronoun?:
You
Relationship Status:
In one

Thanked 2,630 Times in 739 Posts
Cailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST Reputation

I remember downloading on windows 95.. midi files... When things were only byte, and kilo byte size (not this mega bytes we have now).

But i will always remember infinity chat. Some of my best friends came from there. I met my friend marcie almost 20 years ago, and we still talk all the time.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #26
Daniela

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 5,242 Times in 1,243 Posts
Daniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST Reputation

oh wow, talk about dating yourself. lol

I used to read alt.gothic between 1995-1997 (I was about 21 at the time and yes, I was a goth ). Holy shit, times have changed since then. I remember waiting to download pictures people would post...and it would sometimes take about 10 fucking minutes before you were able to see some grainy crap photo that wasn't worth it anyway.
Daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Daniela For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #27
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I remember Prodigy. My girlfriend at the time was living with her ex-boyfriend's family (don't ask), and they had a computer with Prodigy. I didn't really understand it all but remember the bulletin boards. This was the early-mid 1990's.

Soon (maybe 1995?) I got a computer and was on AOL personals and their gay/lesbian message boards. I remember when aol personals changed over to match.com and I remember the aol message boards fading out. I also did the aol gay chats. Until about 5 years ago I was still friends with a woman from Utah from the aol boards. AOL is still my email and I am still a member.

By 1997/98? (whatever year it started), I was on butch-femme.com so that satisfied my loss of the aol boards.

I can still hear the dial up sound too, in my head. I remember getting "booted off" if you didn't disable your call waiting. Or just getting booted off for no reason. It was very frustrating if you were in the middle of a conversation! Everything was slow.

If it wasn't for the internet us lesbian/gays/queers would still only have the bars to find each other!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #28
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I remember using a computer in school first before I remember anything about the internet. I took a programing course and everyone was trying to learn computer languages like fortran, although then it was FORTRAN. It was the popular thing to take at the time. There was a mainframe computer. And there were IBMs and Macs with word processing programs; they were like giant typewriters. Then I remember personal computers becoming somewhat affordable and my roommate had one with dial up AOL. Napster was big fun then. There were mailing lists for butches and femmes and I had fun with those for awhile and of course there was b-f.com in the late 90s. Damn I am old. And still technically challenged.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #29
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I remember computers form work before personal computers and doing back-ups onto a tape drive. The 'cartridge' was about 18 inches in diameter and someone had to take a copy home every night.

Not too long after home pc's started coming out with the 286's. It was all DOS and I couldn't make head or tail of it. I really didn't see any use for them at home but my best buddy was all kinds of into it. He bought a 486 and kept trying to talk me into getting one too. I ended up being in a car accident and it was clear I wasn't going to be doing much but sitting for quite a while and he finally talked me into it as something to do. I was clueless and just gave him a bunch of money to get me what he though would be best. He managed to spend $4000.00 and came back with a 486 with 4mb(kb?) of RAM and 2 drives the 5 1/2 and the sure to be a hit 3.5 that nobody was using yet. The OS was windows 3.0 It took me a while to not be afraid of breaking it and the first thing he managed to get me interested in was accessing the public library. I found out that I could get anything I wanted brought to my local branch and I loved it.

Then I found out there were girls in there. I was hooked on BBS's.

The rest is history.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #30
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,162 Times in 5,132 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

My first computer memory is excitedly going to my uncle's office with him in the middle of the night. "I think I found another one!" he said, I recall. We were going to play Adventure on his gigantic office computer, a RPG that was completely text based - no graphics, just white ASCII characters on a black screen. It required a 5-1/4" floppy disk, and took forever to boot up. The people at the electric company where he worked were really excited over it; there was a giant, hand-drawn map on the wall over the computer, showing the parts of the maze that had been uncovered so far. This is also my first beloved memory of gaming addiction. I was about 12, so this was in the late 70s. That would have made it several years in advance of the actual internet.

In college I had a student email account, and a little exposure to BBSes. I didn't have much interest in the internet until I managed to get my own computer, around the early 1990s. I started out with Compuserve, and joined a forum for pagans. We had full moon rituals online in chat, which worked in some ways and others not so much. The first time I was in charge of part of the ritual, I typed out my part in notepad in advance, planning to copy and paste it into chat one line at a time. I had never tried this previously, and did not discover until too late that I couldn't paste into CS's chat. Furiously switching from window to window, I hastily tried to type it all quickly ... I occasionally still think of our attempts to invoke the God and Goddess electronically. Probably by now, there is an app for that.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #31
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

My first computer memories are different to my first internat memories. I could not get the Internet unless at school. It was too expensive to get it. I couldn't afford a computer that did it. I had an old machine that did DOS to write papers on at home when I was 24.

But my first computer memory was the computers at my dad's work, at his lab, at the university. They ran on cards. Punch cards. Students would be using box lids to carry their PhD thesis in them. Dad said he watched a student trip and fall and watch the cards go everywhere. They have to be in the right order, obviously.fed into the computer.So the student freaked out.

But the net was too expensive for me to be able to get in a house full of early 20 something artists, none of whom had any use for the net. We were too busy painting, playing music, drinking and having sex.

Only when I realised that I was more interested in research that the Internet became more important - libraries weren't exhaustive for journals. And then the idea to look for perhaps maybe women scientists on match.com entered my head... Because the university I then moved to, away from college, only had these separatist, angry and really snobbish lesbians who wouldn't speak to me because I was bisexual (at the time).

That's how I found my first butch (into femmes. I knew oodles of leather butches into each other) Though, I had zero idea at the time that was what she was or what was coming...
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #32
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Going into the AOL Grateful Dead chat is definitely my earliest memory!! I think I was like 12?? lol.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 AM   #33
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My first internet memories are from the late 90's and dial-up, although i never went to chat sites. I was on match.com and yahoo.com where i met my wife in 2002...i played internet games like blackjack...and then i found the old dash site.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #34
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I remember when "think bubbles" were a command! You'd hit the / then type the word 'think' and either you could type in your own thoughts or the program thoughts would automatically just pop up and appear in the bubbles!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #35
meridiantoo

How Do You Identify?:
A Speck in the Milky Way
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Monogamous relationship

Thanked 2,299 Times in 890 Posts
meridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputation

I remember DOS commands and the green cursor/words. I remember my father telling me that they were inventing the Internet. He told me how it would work, what it would do. I was about 16-17 at the time. My first computer game was King's Quest. I had no idea what was coming lol

Oh, and I wrote papers for High School on Word Perfect.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #36
randrum

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Just call me G
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,063 Times in 668 Posts
randrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputation

AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) and all the silly "away messages" my friends amd I would put up.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #37
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I remember when you could yank back an email if it hadn't been open yet by the recipient! Wish we still had that little gem of a feature, I say no more!!!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #38
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,125 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

in 2001 the first time I ever saw the net ~ Yahoo's home page had that song YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol
Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #39
WickedFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very Happily Married to Bobbi46

WickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST Reputation

back in the day... 1995 - I had a desk top that was huge and was on aol chatting in a gay chat room...lol... then along came b-f .com in 1999. I recall being in that chat every day since... hahahaha.
WickedFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WickedFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #40
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,688 Times in 7,716 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

2000...my very first Internet experience!

MSN Chat Rooms..the W4W ones....my brother showed me these on his computer. I was hooked...met my previous partner online there......we were both internet/chatroom virgins...lol