Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 03-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Laws to make you healthier

Some laws being introduced are aimed at making you live healthier lives (e.g., ban on smoking in indoor environments, soda tax laws, etc.). Some of it is a plain ol' tax grab (the soda tax law will definitely raise a fair amount for gov'ts). That said, sometimes I think gov't miss their mark and really don't think about things beforehand. Case in point: a law that will ban ALL salt from being used in recipes in NY State.

Uh... whut!?

Quote:
Source: UK Guardian (I only chose theirs because their print version was the easiest and their comment on salt amounts was relevant)
Over the past few years New York has gained a reputation for taking the health of its citizens seriously – or nannying them, depending on your point of view.

Now a member of the city's legislative assembly has gone a step further by introducing a bill that would ban the use of salt in restaurant kitchens.
Bill A10129 would forbid the city's chefs from using salt in any of their recipes. The ban's proposer, Felix Ortiz, a Democratic member from Brooklyn, says it would give consumers the choice about whether to add salt to their meal.

Restaurants trying to sneak a bit of sodium on to the plate would be fined $1,000 (£600) every time they were caught.

The idea of an outright ban, except for salt cellars on diners' tables, has led to raised eyebrows across the city, which prides itself on its cuisine. "If state assemblyman Felix Ortiz has his way," quipped the Daily News, "the only salt added to your meal will come from the chef's tears."
Tom Colicchio, who owns the restaurant Craft, told the paper: "If they banned salt, nobody would come here anymore."

Ortiz's bill comes on the back of a high-profile attempt by the city's mayor, Michael Bloomberg, to encourage New Yorkers to consume less sodium. The city estimates about 1.5 million residents already suffer from high blood pressure, which can be exacerbated by overconsumption of salt. In America as a whole, the average daily intake of 3,400mg is well above the recommended maximum of 2,300mg.

Bloomberg's campaign aims to cut the amount of salt in pre-packaged and restaurant food by a quarter, in five years. Unlike Bill A10129, however, it is purely voluntary.
I added emphasis to the section that is relevant. I think the issue is more that people are ADDING additional salt to meals, on top of what is required (and some recipes do require some salt for various reasons, including addressing issues of parasites and such. ) But I don't think this law really is addressing that and I can foresee the opposite effect happening.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I think this is yet another example of the government overstepping.

I do not think it is the government's place to try and force us to be healthier....It seems a slippery slope.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

One of the reasons I don't care to eat out that often is because I don't always know what they are putting in their foods. I'm on blood pressure meds, so I have to be diligent on sodium intake. (I'm not always so diligent, but I try, lol..)

I don't think it's a "bad" idea (as a general rule of thumb), but at the same time, I think it's a bit much in terms of government taxing/fines. I agree that it's not the government's place to dictate how we eat.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
One of the reasons I don't care to eat out that often is because I don't always know what they are putting in their foods. I'm on blood pressure meds, so I have to be diligent on sodium intake. (I'm not always so diligent, but I try, lol..)

I don't think it's a "bad" idea (as a general rule of thumb), but at the same time, I think it's a bit much in terms of government taxing/fines. I agree that it's not the government's place to dictate how we eat.

Maybe the law should be to better disclose what is in the food and have healthy options available?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
TIMBERWOLF

How Do You Identify?:
Old Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lesbian Butch so that would be she, but I come to just about anything *S*
Relationship Status:
Single

TIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Some laws being introduced are aimed at making you live healthier lives (e.g., ban on smoking in indoor environments, soda tax laws, etc.). Some of it is a plain ol' tax grab (the soda tax law will definitely raise a fair amount for gov'ts). That said, sometimes I think gov't miss their mark and really don't think about things beforehand. Case in point: a law that will ban ALL salt from being used in recipes in NY State.

Uh... whut!?

I added emphasis to the section that is relevant. I think the issue is more that people are ADDING additional salt to meals, on top of what is required (and some recipes do require some salt for various reasons, including addressing issues of parasites and such. ) But I don't think this law really is addressing that and I can foresee the opposite effect happening.
I grew up cooking without salt as my Dad didn't like it so my mom never used it,except you salted your food if you wanted it. I to this day have a hard time cooking with salt and WT has said my food is bland. I try but most time its not enough in there. Im getting better about going by the directions .........But really some of these laws are ridiculous .
TIMBER
TIMBERWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

While I'm an advocate of low sodium whenever possible I don't think the Govt needs to step in and take over for my ability to choose.

I'd rather they focus on stronger drunk driving and sexual predator laws.

For goodness sake!!!!

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

The more we let the governemt interfere......
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

OH CRAP!!!!! Yes,oh crap......if the gov really wanted to do something about helping ppl get more heathy u bet it would be doing something way diffrent that tax every dam thing .For one it would make it easer to go to a health club,join a gym,go to the ymca,join sports groups ect..ect with out the high fees that are paid to partisapate in any of the above.
I do know there are ways to take advantage of places to go to works out or be part of groups that do sports..if u r on disablity u can go to the y and if u make or your income is less than xyz u can join for a greatly redced fee or free...older folks can go to the counsil on ageing with simular oppertunities...often transportation is avalable to these places for free or next to it.
Also healthy food and how to fix food to be healthy is something most dont have a clue about...haveing easyer access to healthy food would be really great for ppl who cant get to a real grosery store insted of the local mom/pop fast food joint that charges way to much.
I know if the average person was in our goverment hopefuly some of this mess we are in wouldnt be happening...the rich get richer and the people who have less oppertunities have even less..Why..cause the gov wants it that way.Do u really think anyone or many(in the gov or rich ppl) would give up theire high life style to be like the average person whop bust azz to just get by?No,they bail out the car companys,banks and such but the rest of us jsut pray we can stay afloat and make it as best we can.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Maybe the law should be to better disclose what is in the food and have healthy options available?
I thought there was one - or is that just for labels? Even in that case, they manage to get around it - something might be labeled no salt added - but if you investigate the label, there are sodium sources disguised as "poly-bigasslongname-odium" or something like that, lol. They may not add more to it, but they fail to tell you there's sodium already in there.

When I cook at home, I know exactly what goes in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
I thought there was one - or is that just for labels? Even in that case, they manage to get around it - something might be labeled no salt added - but if you investigate the label, there are sodium sources disguised as "poly-bigasslongname-odium" or something like that, lol. They may not add more to it, but they fail to tell you there's sodium already in there.

When I cook at home, I know exactly what goes in it.
It must be by state. In TN menus do not have ingredients disclosed. I don't think I have seen that in KY, CA or NYC either. Maybe you have to ask for it?

I am allergic to peanuts and am always looking food not cooked in peanut oil and am amazed at how often serves have zero idea.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation
Default Answer: It doesn't, until you stop it.

Here's the thing. . .

If the government of NYC can mandate that you can't use trans-fats,
And if the government of NYC can mandate that you can't use salt,
And if the government of NYC can tax you for the sugar in soda,

What next?

A tax for not going to the gym?
A tax for having a BMI over 25?
A tax for not buying organic?

Where does it stop?
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

you know, they couldnt win the Pro Choice arguement so they had to get involved in the rights to eat salt or not...

one way or another they are going to control our bodies...

no, seriously....whats the platform here? Is it really a health issue? If so, why not eliminate coffee? How about sweet n low at the tables? Oh wait... chemicals to clean the bathrooms pose a health risk so maybe .... Tap water should NEVER be served... and while we are at it, free range eggs should only be offered. Forget ordering pancakes and eggs for under $10 anymore.

I as an adult make the choices of what goes in my body..through ALL orifices. No one has the right to tell me what I can or cant do with my orifices. If I want to eat salt until my tongue falls out from dehydration, thats my perogative.

The thought that we could CHOSE what goes into our restaurant meals brings visuals of ingredient boxes next to the pretty pictures in the menu.

and so, if its a choice, will the restaurants jump on this and charge EXTRA for salt or other "additives"?

We are a capitalistic society and this would certainly be a possible outcome...

I need to go let off some steam...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

I think the gov. needs to stay out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
Here's the thing. . .

If the government of NYC can mandate that you can't use trans-fats,
And if the government of NYC can mandate that you can't use salt,
And if the government of NYC can tax you for the sugar in soda,

What next?

A tax for not going to the gym?
A tax for having a BMI over 25?
A tax for not buying organic?

Where does it stop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
you know, they couldnt win the Pro Choice arguement so they had to get involved in the rights to eat salt or not...

one way or another they are going to control our bodies...

no, seriously....whats the platform here? Is it really a health issue? If so, why not eliminate coffee? How about sweet n low at the tables? Oh wait... chemicals to clean the bathrooms pose a health risk so maybe .... Tap water should NEVER be served... and while we are at it, free range eggs should only be offered. Forget ordering pancakes and eggs for under $10 anymore.

I as an adult make the choices of what goes in my body..through ALL orifices. No one has the right to tell me what I can or cant do with my orifices. If I want to eat salt until my tongue falls out from dehydration, thats my perogative.

The thought that we could CHOSE what goes into our restaurant meals brings visuals of ingredient boxes next to the pretty pictures in the menu.

and so, if its a choice, will the restaurants jump on this and charge EXTRA for salt or other "additives"?

We are a capitalistic society and this would certainly be a possible outcome...

I need to go let off some steam...
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

I think if governmental agencies want to start cutting out unhealthy ingredients from our food, they should start with packaging plants.

That said, I'm all for forcing restaurants to cut the crap

Hydrogenated oils, salts, trans fats, etc shouldn't be used by restaurants. They're a cheap alternative to healthier options. But then, I also think restaurants should have to serve normal portion sizes too. Serving actual portion sizes while reducing crap, filler ingredients would balance the cost of using real ingredients.

In the fifties, so many horrid things started being added to foods in an effort to get the consumer to buy more and to help the companies make big profits. The bottom line was profits. High fructose corn syrup is one of the number one causes of the diabetes and obesity dilemmas in this country. The over sodium-zation of food products again is all about profits for big corporations, and it has lead to unhealthy population. Very FEW restaurants NEED to use salt in their recipes. Most restaurants don't use the highest quality products...ergo, there's already plenty of salt in the ingredients they use. They add it, not necessarily because it's NEEDED in the recipe, but because Americans are soooooooo over-sodium-ed that people would think the food 'tastes bland' if the restaurants didn't use salt. Personally, I find it pretty disgusting that Americans are so over-saturated in the chemicals which are added to their foods that they can't taste the crap anymore. Americans can't taste the salt that's added to everything from sodas to chicken breasts. They can't taste the high fructose corn syrup (I have a personal vengeance against hfcs) that forces them to eat more and more. They can't taste the hydrogenated oils that sit in and clog up their arteries until their bodies just explode.

It's just disgusting to me. And what's more disgusting to me is the fact that Americans are so unhappy about giving them up. These products weren't introduced to American taste-buds because they're delicious and good for us...we were introduced to them, so companies could make exorbitant profits off of our (dead) bodies.

Yeah, something *should* be done to eradicate these items from our food. The LAST thing people need from a restaurant (rarely serving fresh food) is MORE salt.

My Two Nickels,
Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I think if governmental agencies want to start cutting out unhealthy ingredients from our food, they should start with packaging plants.

That said, I'm all for forcing restaurants to cut the crap

Hydrogenated oils, salts, trans fats, etc shouldn't be used by restaurants. They're a cheap alternative to healthier options. But then, I also think restaurants should have to serve normal portion sizes too. Serving actual portion sizes while reducing crap, filler ingredients would balance the cost of using real ingredients.

In the fifties, so many horrid things started being added to foods in an effort to get the consumer to buy more and to help the companies make big profits. The bottom line was profits. High fructose corn syrup is one of the number one causes of the diabetes and obesity dilemmas in this country. The over sodium-zation of food products again is all about profits for big corporations, and it has lead to unhealthy population. Very FEW restaurants NEED to use salt in their recipes. Most restaurants don't use the highest quality products...ergo, there's already plenty of salt in the ingredients they use. They add it, not necessarily because it's NEEDED in the recipe, but because Americans are soooooooo over-sodium-ed that people would think the food 'tastes bland' if the restaurants didn't use salt. Personally, I find it pretty disgusting that Americans are so over-saturated in the chemicals which are added to their foods that they can't taste the crap anymore. Americans can't taste the salt that's added to everything from sodas to chicken breasts. They can't taste the high fructose corn syrup (I have a personal vengeance against hfcs) that forces them to eat more and more. They can't taste the hydrogenated oils that sit in and clog up their arteries until their bodies just explode.

It's just disgusting to me. And what's more disgusting to me is the fact that Americans are so unhappy about giving them up. These products weren't introduced to American taste-buds because they're delicious and good for us...we were introduced to them, so companies could make exorbitant profits off of our (dead) bodies.

Yeah, something *should* be done to eradicate these items from our food. The LAST thing people need from a restaurant (rarely serving fresh food) is MORE salt.

My Two Nickels,
Dylan
I certainly agree about packaging plants and processed food. 100%

But it totally weirds me out for the government to tell us what to do...I hate that.

Thoughts about the goverment being involved in personal choice?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Quote:

The first thing that came to mind was puppets on a string.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I certainly agree about packaging plants and processed food. 100%

But it totally weirds me out for the government to tell us what to do...I hate that.

I don't see how, in the case of restaurants and salt, the government is telling individuals what to do. I mean, I'm not saying, "You're wrong"...I just don't understand how that's the government telling individuals what to do. I see it as the government telling companies not to feed us crap.

I mean, if you, the individual, want to sit down to a meal of Crisco and a container of Morton's, by all means, that should definitely be your prerogative. However, when I go to a restaurant there is some sort of expectation the food I'm eating isn't going to kill me. And adding more salt to food in a restaurant is just ridiculous. Using hydrogenated oils (transfats) is just ridiculous. Hardly anyone uses these products at home (Crisco being an exception). And adding salt in a restaurant is just ludicrous.

In my opinion, Americans DO need to be weaned off of salt. It's in everything. We're sooooooo accustomed to it being in everything that we then add more of it.

I mean, have you (royally or personally) ever tried to NOT eat salt for a week? Or even one day? It's nearly impossible. It's sometimes even used on fresh produce to make it travel further. And packaged foods are the worst for sodium content. It's even used in the packaging of meats. So, if I'm on a low sodium (I have cut it out all together for short bursts, which ended up being more like fasting, because I was seriously limited in what I could eat...I would rather cut out sugar and hfcs honestly, because I was left with many many more choices in what I could eat...and I was able to go months without [white] sugar) diet, I pretty much know what I can eat and can't eat...but in a restaurant (where they don't need salt for anything more than customer satisfaction), I have no idea what they're adding salt to. There's absolutely no way for me to monitor my intake. There's no way for a chef/kitchen manager to tell me either, because it's not even measured in a kitchen. It's just tossed into/onto eveything...even salads.

Americans don't need more salt, but if One wants to have a house made out of salt licks, I think that's fantastic...but I don't think I should have it forced upon me in a restaurant...especially when there's a salt shaker on the table for anyone who wants to pour it all over their food until their brain dries up.

Dylan
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Most foods have sodium of their own, natural salts, one need'nt put more in when cooking. You want more add it yourself.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I don't see how, in the case of restaurants and salt, the government is telling individuals what to do. I mean, I'm not saying, "You're wrong"...I just don't understand how that's the government telling individuals what to do. I see it as the government telling companies not to feed us crap.

I mean, if you, the individual, want to sit down to a meal of Crisco and a container of Morton's, by all means, that should definitely be your prerogative. However, when I go to a restaurant there is some sort of expectation the food I'm eating isn't going to kill me. And adding more salt to food in a restaurant is just ridiculous. Using hydrogenated oils (transfats) is just ridiculous. Hardly anyone uses these products at home (Crisco being an exception). And adding salt in a restaurant is just ludicrous.

In my opinion, Americans DO need to be weaned off of salt. It's in everything. We're sooooooo accustomed to it being in everything that we then add more of it.

I mean, have you (royally or personally) ever tried to NOT eat salt for a week? Or even one day? It's nearly impossible. It's sometimes even used on fresh produce to make it travel further. And packaged foods are the worst for sodium content. It's even used in the packaging of meats. So, if I'm on a low sodium (I have cut it out all together for short bursts, which ended up being more like fasting, because I was seriously limited in what I could eat...I would rather cut out sugar and hfcs honestly, because I was left with many many more choices in what I could eat...and I was able to go months without [white] sugar) diet, I pretty much know what I can eat and can't eat...but in a restaurant (where they don't need salt for anything more than customer satisfaction), I have no idea what they're adding salt to. There's absolutely no way for me to monitor my intake. There's no way for a chef/kitchen manager to tell me either, because it's not even measured in a kitchen. It's just tossed into/onto eveything...even salads.

Americans don't need more salt, but if One wants to have a house made out of salt licks, I think that's fantastic...but I don't think I should have it forced upon me in a restaurant...especially when there's a salt shaker on the table for anyone who wants to pour it all over their food until their brain dries up.

Dylan
We (royally of course) actually have been trying to cut down on salt and it is hella difficult if We eat out at all and it makes "Our" feet swell. Grrrr.

I completely agree with you on that.

But.....

Any time I hear govenment intervention abortion and cigarretes jump into my head.....I know 2 very different subjects.

Maybe, if as you suggested they were starting at a lower level along the food preparation chain it would seem like the government was really trying to help, not control. (OMG, I just read this and I am starting to sound like a Libertarian.....)

It would seem ironic if in my state one could legally have a gun in a restaurant/bar, but not have salt....
Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

I still really really really want to see hfcs removed from everything.

The fact that it hasn't been removed from things is just completely indicative that this country is run by corporations as far as I'm concerned. For all of this talk about The Obesity Epidemic and The Diabetes Epidemic, and how much we're supposed to *care* about it...yet, The Man is still allowed to use this product. And THEN...we make people feel guilty and tell them to try to *control* their weight while we feed them this product that makes *controlling* the issue impossible. And then, when people say, "Well, I've been eating *healthy*, I exercise, I do A,B,C so I don't know what's going on...and I'm always hungry"...we blame them...while feeding them more hfcs. Gahhhhhhh, it drives me crazy. Of COURSE, you're always hungry...they're feeding you a chemical that MAKES you 'always hungry' while it messes with your insulin producers/suppressors and glycogen changers (except we're not going to tell you that part...so, you just keep trying to lose weight, because being 'overweight' is really unhealthy...oh and btw, we're going to make really messed up *ideal* weights. In fact, we're going to lower the *ideal* weights to numbers that are pretty much unattainable when factored against the shit we're going to feed you).

OMG, I hate The Man.

The End,
Dylan...whose head just exploded a little bit
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post: