Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 02-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #181
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Booker is corrupt. Big picture corrupt. I have no idea if he's actually done anything illegal, but he owes some big corporate constituencies. I read that he has already been making the rounds looking for corporate support. There are better Democrats running.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #182
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Interesting article tonight concerning tax platform ideas

Democrats' Tax Plans Reflects Profound Shift In Public Mood

by Matt Viser | The Washington Post (click on link above for article)

I found an article tonight, published about thirty minutes ago, and it features some of the platform ideas proposed by several Democratic Presidential contenders, concerning money/inequality/tax evasion etc.

I think what I found myself nodding in agreement to was an idea expressed by Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio): Brown is stressing middle-class tax cuts and overhauling the tax code to punish companies that cut wages or ship jobs overseas. I can see how Brown's view about doing something like this would provide better oversight and transparency (if one could say that), by overhauling the tax code... like propose this idea of his as a part of a more wide reaching tax reform type House Bill.

But the tricky part of this idea Brown proposes is that how does one reign in corporate business with this type of tax reform because while it's a good idea to foster big business employers to remain located in the US and not dislocate workers who've been on the job (for years, most likely -- think Detroit-MI, Elkhart-IN, Pittsburg-PA, or even Daimler or shipping yards or iron workers or construction workers, etc), I think that lots of people living in the mid-west, or wherever big business employers are generally found, are the vanishing middle-class, if there's a middle class at all. Most of America can be understood to be a majority of citizens, who are widely recognized as "the working poor." (I am, I've never had a fabulous paying job, ever in my life).

I sometimes understand the topic concerning platform politics, but sometimes I get lost trying to understand.

The article covers ideas by Sen. Warren, Sen. Ocasio-Cortez, Sen. Booker, Sen. Guillibrand, Sen. Harris, Sen. Sanders, and a few other people who weigh in on certain platform ideas by the senators featured in the article.

Lots to think about, but I do think that reforming the tax code to hold plutocrats, cazillionaires, etc, accountable so that they invest in people, the economy, and keep business here in the US is a good idea. We've all read news accounts of those who have sheltered their profits/income streams/etc by not paying taxes or investing in their employees and the US economy in general. I'd like to see that change and for the ordinary person to be able to earn a decent living, and actually not have to fret and worry about when the next check comes, will there be anything left to buy food or pay the bills in timely ways (…..).

I don't know about anyone else, but if the SOTU address is aired this week, I am SOOOOOO looking forward to hearing the rebuttal given by Stacy Abrams.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #183
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

NBC News: Russia's propaganda machine discovers 2020 Democratic candidate Tulsi Gabbard, by Robert Windrem and Ben Popken, Feb. 2, 2019, 6:03 AM CST

The Russian propaganda machine that tried to influence the 2016 U.S. election is now promoting the presidential aspirations of a controversial Hawaii Democrat who earlier this month declared her intention to run for president in 2020.

An NBC News analysis of the main English-language news sites employed by Russia in its 2016 election meddling shows Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, who is set to make her formal announcement Saturday, has become a favorite of the sites Moscow used when it interfered in 2016.

Several experts who track websites and social media linked to the Kremlin have also seen what they believe may be the first stirrings of an upcoming Russian campaign of support for Gabbard.

Since Gabbard announced her intention to run on Jan. 11, there have been at least 20 Gabbard stories on three major Moscow-based English-language websites affiliated with or supportive of the Russian government: RT, the Russian-owned TV outlet; Sputnik News, a radio outlet; and Russia Insider

Gabbard was mentioned on the three sites about twice as often as two of the best known Democratic possibilities for 2020, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, each with 10 stories. Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren had fewer. In each case, the other contenders were treated more critically than Gabbard, with headlines like "'Don't Run': Vermont Paper Begs Bernie Sanders Not to Seek US Presidency in 2020" and "Sexist much? Biden blames 'conservative blonde woman' for shutdown, 'forgets' Ann Coulter's name."

<snip>

"Her promulgation of positions compatible with Russian geo strategic interests can help them mainstream such discussion in the [Democratic] party," said Alex Stamos, former chief security officer at Facebook and now an NBC News analyst. Gabbard, said Stamos, helps them with all their "lines of attack."

<snip>

Gabbard's most controversial position and the one where she's most in line with Russian interests is on Syria. She's accused the U.S. of pushing a policy of "regime change" wars and in January 2017, she met with Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad in Syria on what she called a "fact-finding mission."

RT began defending Gabbard as soon as she announced.

Russia-deniers on both right and left dismiss these concerns with "they're not doing anything we don't do" and that's true.

Information warfare has always existed and exists on all levels-- at work, in entertainment, in advertising, and in the official explanations of our own government on every topic.

Possibly the hysteria over information warfare is the MSM (note the source, NBC News)/centrist way of reviving Russia as an enemy now that terrorism is becoming less effective, so they can maintain the corporatist system, which is in itself yet some more information warfare.

"Beating Russia" as an agenda will be a lot cheaper than "saving the planet."

The problem i have with information warfare is it is so asymmetrical. It is the powerful against the weak on every level, and one side is not at all equipped for it.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #184
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think she has a chance in the primaries. She has that history of anti-gay statements, and she has long been affiliated with what some deem to be a cult.

Edited to add: https://medium.com/@lalitamann/an-in...uru-e2650f0d09
Old 02-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #185
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I don't think she has a chance in the primaries. She has that history of anti-gay statements, and she has long been affiliated with what some deem to be a cult.

Edited to add: https://medium.com/@lalitamann/an-in...uru-e2650f0d09
That was pretty scary.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #186
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
That was pretty scary.

Ditto..............
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #187
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Don't call him a Billionaire..................

Howard just wants to be referred to a "person of means"!

Perhaps he thinks that makes him more relate-able to the average working stiff?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #188
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,262 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post

Howard just wants to be referred to a "person of means"!

Perhaps he thinks that makes him more relate-able to the average working stiff?
I don't think he's that dumb. I don't much admire him but I don't think he's trying to be the obverse of Trump and blow "poor".

Why does he have to be more relatable to the average working stiff? Far as I can remember, the only President (in the last 100 years or so )relatable to the average working stiff is Trump and he claims no simple means. Actually, seems like working stiffs like their Presidents to have 24K water taps and solid gold bidets...it's aspirational, i guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #189
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Monmouth University Polling Institute: Dems Prefer Electability in 2020
(numbers below from poll as quoted by @ryanstruyk)

2020 numbers among whites by college education

Whites w/ a college degree:
Biden 22%
Harris 15%
Warren 13%
Sanders 12%

Whites w/o a college degree:
Biden 36%
Sanders 19%
Harris 10%
Warren 8%

2020 poll numbers by race

Whites:
Biden 30%
Sanders 16%
Harris 12%
Warren 10%

Nonwhites:
Biden 27%
Sanders 16%
O’Rourke 12%
Harris 9%

2020 poll numbers by gender

Men:
Biden 35%
Sanders 17%
Booker 7%
Warren 7%
Harris 5%
O’Rourke 5%

Women:
Biden 26%
Sanders 16%
Harris 14%
O’Rourke 8%
Warren 8%

2020 poll numbers by age

Over 50 years old:
Biden 38%
Harris 8%
Warren 7%
O’Rourke 7%
Sanders 5%
Booker 5%

Under 50 years old:
Sanders 27%
Biden 21%
Harris 13%
Warren 8%
O’Rourke 8%

This is depressing lol. But it is still early, right???
Old 02-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #190
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Look at those young folk. If they would only vote.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #191
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default We'll know for sure Sunday......

But it sure looks like Amy Klobuchar is tossing her hat into the ring!

The announcement is planned in Boom Island Minneapolis.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #192
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Lots of publicity about how she treats her staff.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #193
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Lots of publicity about how she treats her staff.
Yup, I've read that! But given the right circumstances, I think Trump would throw his own mother under the bus so there is that!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #194
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default CNN..........

Sen. Elizabeth Warren officially launched her 2020 presidential campaign today at a rally in Lawrence, Massachusetts, using the backdrop of Everett Mills -- the site of a historic 1912 labor strike led by women and immigrants -- to issue a call to action against wealthy power brokers who "have been waging class warfare against hardworking people for decades."

Over 44 minutes in sub-freezing temperatures, Warren described a political elite "bought off" and "bullied" by corporate giants, and a middle class squeezed so tight it "can barely breathe."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/09/polit...tts/index.html
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #195
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
NBC News: Russia's propaganda machine discovers 2020 Democratic candidate Tulsi Gabbard, by Robert Windrem and Ben Popken, Feb. 2, 2019, 6:03 AM CST

The Russian propaganda machine that tried to influence the 2016 U.S. election is now promoting the presidential aspirations of a controversial Hawaii Democrat who earlier this month declared her intention to run for president in 2020.

An NBC News analysis of the main English-language news sites employed by Russia in its 2016 election meddling shows Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, who is set to make her formal announcement Saturday, has become a favorite of the sites Moscow used when it interfered in 2016.

Several experts who track websites and social media linked to the Kremlin have also seen what they believe may be the first stirrings of an upcoming Russian campaign of support for Gabbard.

<snip>

Gabbard's most controversial position and the one where she's most in line with Russian interests is on Syria. She's accused the U.S. of pushing a policy of "regime change" wars and in January 2017, she met with Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad in Syria on what she called a "fact-finding mission."

RT began defending Gabbard as soon as she announced.
My twitter account was followed this week by "Jennifer Adams @Jennife25259140 Mom,model,various other roles..., struggling human being, hoping for enlightenment"

Who is totally a Russian bot. Her account today only shows achievements in online games plus random tumblr reblogs, but when i scrolled through on the day she followed me, these were interspersed with a bunch of social justice tweets-- #metoo, #BLM, etc-- except every 7th or 8th tweet would be pro-Assad.

Weird and creepy.

i looked at accounts that follow her and a lot of them were nothing but game achievements, too. I think that's how they keep the accounts active when they don't have them doing anything else/build up their activity so they look less fake. The gaming tweets go back several years but the political tweets appear and disappear.

Now i am reverse searching their profile photos to see if they're stock or stolen. Also reporting reporting reporting, not that @jack will do anything.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #196
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I came across a news press release, the other day, concerning Julian Castro, and how he talked about his plan to win Texas, Florida, Arizona, and Michigan, Pennsylvania (...).

For anyone who might be interested in learning more about JC and his political platform, you can read about it here (LINK).

Also, there's an CNN interview clip and article too, found here (LINK)

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #197
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Another article on Amy, tho IF I was to vote for her I don't think I'd let her lack of tack sway me!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03afe8d674530
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #198
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Well, between being a mainstream Dem and clearly being a jerk, she doesn't interest me much. Fortunately, we have a lot of candidates to choose from.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #199
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Kamala Harris

Been watching the news, and apparently, Kamala Harris is leading over other candidates who are running for President in the "social media" arena... (I must say, I rather like her and every time, I have seen her face, she has brought up a smile on this face) and this is because of what I have seen while watching TV news - all due to her "authenticity"... In other words, she is the same person with everyone - being true to her self. Personally, this is one quality I respect above many other qualities, a person I might trust. However, having said this, I do not know how this will weigh in the selection process, especially considering how Trump won, being the most unauthentic person one could imagine. Apparently, for many Americans, popularity in the polls has more to do with "vested interests" rather than "authenticity".
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #200
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I'm a fan of Kamala Harris, but she's a tough cookie. We need that. But I am not sure how much we know her. She's a lawyer who's career has been entirely in law enforcement. I support her. She is my second choice after Bernie. But I think she is super ambitious, super tough, and not someone I'd invite on a long walking tour. BUT, she stands for the right things, and that toughness is what we need, what we have needed. I vastly prefer Bernie, who truly inspires, but I'd be excited and hopeful if she got the nomination.

Tags
2020, election