Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #41
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

tura, I get the pooper scooper role, too
I seem to cater to them for all their little needs
The joy and rewards from watching them interact or act up, can't be matched

I think I was meant to be a caretaker of rescue kitties
Now if I could just find homes for half of them

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #42
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

I woke up this morning to my kitty perched atop the TV in the bedroom.
Her silhouette reminded me of:
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #43
cuddlyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,270 Posts
cuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Wow! I never knew this thread was here!!! I have 4 kitties. Tabitha is my 11 year old Tabby, Samantha is my 10 year old Siamese, Max is my 9 year old Siamese and Goldie is my 5 year old Tabby.
I'm having a problem with Sam that I need some help with. She refuses to use her litter box....I've tried different litters, putting the boxes in different places in the house etc..but nothing is working. Any ideas?
cuddlyfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuddlyfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #44
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddlyfemme View Post
Wow! I never knew this thread was here!!! I have 4 kitties. Tabitha is my 11 year old Tabby, Samantha is my 10 year old Siamese, Max is my 9 year old Siamese and Goldie is my 5 year old Tabby.
I'm having a problem with Sam that I need some help with. She refuses to use her litter box....I've tried different litters, putting the boxes in different places in the house etc..but nothing is working. Any ideas?
CF I will ask my "friend" today about this she has 4 cats and maybe will have a suggestion for you and she could let you know via PM..I don't really know that much about cats so I don't think I could help but it does seem odd!!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #45
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

She won't use it to do either or is it just urinating?

If the problem is just the urinating, I'd get her to a vet and have her checked for a urinary tract infection.
Sometimes when they are sick, doing things out of the ordinary is their way of asking for help.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #46
lionpaw

How Do You Identify?:
very married lesbian couple-there are two of us that use this site

Thanked 1,579 Times in 517 Posts
lionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
maybe she's an outdoor type of kitty....She may like using the outdoors instead.....Put her on a leash and walk her on some grass???...Or, it may be she doesn't want to share the litter box with the other cats----territory????....It also may mean the cat needs some kitty xanax given to her to not get stressed out by being around other kitties.....Check with your vet....
lionpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lionpaw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #47
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Feral Cats Feeding Ban

Hi, folks. I have copy/pasted an email from an no kill animal shelter that I support called Faithful Friends. I thought that those who read this thread might be interested. Please read:

Faithful Friends No Kill Animal Shelter

Action Request

Stop Proposed Ban on Feeding Cats
March 30, 2011

Dear Friends:

I am writing to ask for your help to stop a proposed feeding ban against stray and feral cats. This is happening in Radnor Township, PA and may be voted on as early as April 11th. You may have seen this on Channel 6 last week.

One person complained about cats in their yard and now the Board of Health is concerned that stray and feral cats can easily transmit diseases to humans, such as rabies and toxoplasmosis. They have consulted with only one veterinarian on this matter who has recommended the ban and believes it's in the best interest of the township's public health.

As leaders in the local no kill movement, we are spearheading the advocacy effort to stop the ban in a neighboring community that is asking for help. Even if you don't live in Radnor Township, it is important to speak out against this ordinance. If it passes there, it won't be long before other communities follow suit. And those kitties will lose their lives.

I have attached a letter which you can forward through email to the Board of Commissioners. These are the persons that will decide whether the ordinance gets passed. It explains why a feeding ban would be ineffective and suggests alternative solutions.

Due to the time sensitivity, I am asking you to reach out to your family, friends and coworkers ASAP and ask them to contact the Board immediately. If you know anybody that lives in Radnor Township (Bryn Mawr, Wayne, St. Davids, Radnor, Rosemont & Villanova) please forward to them as well. You will find below the name, telephone number and email address for each board member.

We don't want to see a township pass an ordinance that allows cats to starve to death. Other solutions, such as TNR, are effective which has already gained recognition for its success in the Radnor Township.

We will be working on this issue in Delaware over the next 2 years. For now, thanks for standing up with me on this issue in a neighboring community that needs our support.

Many thanks,

Jane Pierantozzi, Executive Director

WHO TO CONTACT AND HOW!

1 Harry Mahoney Esq. 215-587-9400 hmahoney@radnor.org

2 Kevin Higgins 610-688-7787 khiggins@radnor.org

3 Willian Spingler 610-687-0839 bspingler@radnor.org

4 Elaine Schaefer 610-355-0611 eschaefer@radnor.org

5 John Nagle 610-527-7218 Jnagle@radnor.org

6 Donald Curley 610-256-1287 dcurley@radnor.org

7 John Fisher 610-519-0253 jfisher@radnor.org

SAMPLE LETTER TO SEND:

Dear Commissioners,

I understand that Radnor Township is considering a feeding ban of free roaming cats because there is a public health concern they can transmit certain diseases to humans. I ask you to vote AGAINST this proposal that would make Radnor Township an inhumane town, and seek alternative solutions that have been proven effective in other communities.

The veterinarian from the Board of Health, Dr. Len Donato, stated that various contagious diseases, such as rabies, could be transmitted from cats to humans. However, he doesn't present any scientific evidence that a feeding ban will effectively address this public health concern. The information he has presented is purely anecdotal. In fact, Dr. Donato cannot cite a single reported case of disease being transmitted directly from cats to humans in Radnor Township.

There are other humane and effective ways to address Radnor's public health concern. In a news release on September 2, 2010 by Pennsylvania's Department of Agriculture, the Agriculture Secretary Russell C. Redding stated, "Vaccinating wild animals against rabies is essential to ensuring human and domestic animal health." Twelve counties in western Pennsylvania have participated in an annual oral rabies vaccination program targeting raccoons, which make up more than half of all rabies cases in the state. According to Redding, "The oral rabies vaccination program has proven successful over the past six years, reducing the number of reported cases in Pennsylvania by nearly 60 percent." Western Pennsylvania didn't starve cats to death to effectively address the transmission of rabies to humans.

Another effective way to minimize the transmission of disease from cats to humans is a Trap-Neuter-Return-Manage/Monitor (TNRM) program. In a TNRM program, stray and feral cats are trapped, sterilized to stop reproduction, vaccinated against diseases including rabies, then returned to their home territory where they are fed, sheltered and monitored on an ongoing basis by a designated caretaker. Any sick or injured cats are removed from the colony and receive appropriate veterinary evaluation and care.

TNRM programs supported by municipalities in California, Florida, and Illinois have reduced feral cat populations by 20%-40% in five years and by over 50% in San Diego since 1989. Radnor Township itself has already seen an effective TNRM program on Eachus Avenue. In 2009, a colony of 27 cats (6 adults, 12 kittens and 9 born in captivity) was decreased to 5 cats through TNRM and hasn't grown in numbers since. Other local communities are using TNRM including Wilmington, Greenwood Delaware and New Castle County Delaware with more communities following suit. Managing and monitoring the colony requires the caretaker to provide food and water to these cats outdoors, so a feeding ban would make it illegal for him/her to continue a program that has already been recognized and applauded in your township.

According to national experts from Alley Cat Allies and Best Friends Animal Society, there are an estimated 11,700 feral (community) cats in Radnor Township. A feeding ban will not stop the proliferation and plight of all these animals. And the ban is in stark contrast to your public health concerns. Unfed feral cats are more likely to rummage in dumpsters and garbage cans with raccoons, which have the highest incidence of rabies in Pennsylvania. Feral cats avoid human contact by nature, but will be more apt to approach people for food if they are starving to death, thereby increasing the likelihood of transmitting disease.

We again ask the town's leadership to listen to the facts presented, speak to experts in this area and support a humane, more effective approach to addressing your public health concern. Please vote AGAINST a proposal that would ban feeding of roaming cats in your township.

Thank you for your consideration of this very important matter.

Thank you from our Feline Friends!

From all of our feline friends who have made their home in your neighborhood or behind your business -

Thank you for helping to protect our friends!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #48
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Here's one for all ya'll kitty lovers. Who says a cat can't learn tricks?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...g-cat/20edqjal
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #49
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My kittehs have discovered the slope at the back of the tub.....and their new trick is to run and take a flying leap, then slide down. It is one of the funniest things they do! I don't have a video camera or I'd try to catch them doing it. It's hilarious!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #50
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have been feeding a neighborhood feral lately.....He's a big ol' bruiser tomcat, and I've named him Ethel. I know.....but I have a Lucy, a Fred and a Ricky.....I didn't have a choice. I don't believe it's affected his masculinity a bit.

ANYway....this boy wouldn't have ANYthing to do with me and would run when I opened the door. But this morning.......<smile> He was waiting for me, having slept under my tea rose bush. He watched as I put food in his bowl, stretched and ALmost smelled my outstretched hand! I held the door open....and he was SO torn about wanting to come inside.....it was so sweet! But he opted for breakfast instead.

When he trusts me to touch him, I'll begin the work of trying to hold him so that I can take him in for the snip~snip......

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #51
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

My favorite game that Dee (my kitty) has created is to scramble like like a hellion through the house, but start/end on my bed--with her head bowed for a kiss. And, yes, I must bestow the kiss--or she looks up and takes her paw, caressing my cheek (hopefully, claws "in") until I do

Oh, btw--the toy pictured below... yeah, well, maybe it's fun for a long time, but my kitty has figured out how to take the ball out in all of the toys like this. At least she's figured out that if I don't put it "back" fast enough (when she hits the garbage can with it, bang, bang), she'll thump it against my thigh while I sit on the floor. I wonder if that constitutes as "fetch" for her

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #52
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Our family has two cats, a boy (Tigger) and girl (Muffy) ~ both of them are sleeping right now, but guaranteed once the rest of us try to go to sleep they'll be running up and down the house like its a race track lol

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #53
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

So happy to report that the little 5 week old Himalayan kitten found in the parking lot behind my office by a client yesterday morning got a clean bill of health from the vet...and i think my boss is going to adopt her...

At the moment my little girl is demanding attention and catnip from me...she keeps nosing me in the leg with a cold wet nose...and it really really tickles...
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #54
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Mine have decided about 9:30 every night is the time to chase each other up and down the house -- hardwood floors -- and growl and hiss at each other. My poor early-to-bed roommate hasn't said anything yet.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:

Tags
cat, kitty, pet