Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #121
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Cajun; If you really are serious about going deeper, you can learn how to stop your breath and heart rate. You must find an adequate teacher you can really trust, and there are'nt many in the USA I would trust with this. But I have found one of the best here, and his name is Brother Achalananda Vice President of Self Realization Fellowship (SRF).
Has anyone heard about/ been able to activate the pineal gland to produce DMT? (Dimenthyltrptamine) The only resource I have ever run into about this is Dr. Rick Strassman's stuff on the web.
Rick Strassman on Dmt the pineal gland-YouTube.
DMT:The Spiritual Molecule(2012)-Hulu
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #122
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Cajun; If you really are serious about going deeper, you will have to learn how to stop the breath and heart rate. You must find an adequate teacher you can really trust, and there are'nt many in the USA I would trust with this. But I have found one of the best here, and his name is Brother Achalananda Vice President of Self Realization Fellowship (SRF)
Has anyone been able to activate the pineal gland to prduce DMT? (Dimenthyltrptamine) The only resource I have ever run into about this is Dr. Rick Strassman's stuff on the web.
Hi Glenn and thank you.

in my work, Reflexology we tap on the pineal gland (and much more) and i see the effects of doing so. i've never thought of doing that in Meditation but i would love to.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #123
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Ironically in my teaching certification program I was asked to set out goals, one of them was to learn to really meditate within the next year. Like take a real life course, not read books about it. Words without action are worthless!

and I prefer the real life experience
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #124
sylvie

How Do You Identify?:
Mr Mtn's babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly, she
Relationship Status:
fiercely protected ♥

Thanked 7,501 Times in 1,850 Posts
sylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputation

Daddy and i visited Tashi Choling here in Oregon last week, on Mt Ashland.
It was so wonderful, touching, the energy and peace there is amazing.. Since visiting the Prayer Garden it has helped me so much on my spiritual journey. It has been so important to me to walk this spiritual path on my own.

In the beginning, i was unsure about my openness to accepting and embracing spirituality at all.. But i didn't want to base anything on anyone else's beliefs, and wanted to really discover what i had and felt within me. So this spiritual journey has been one that's been extremely emotional, warm and comforting, but haven't been sharing much with anyone.. It's felt very private.

Visiting Tashi Choling brought everything together for me, it was very thought provoking and peaceful and i so look forward to revisiting, the meditation and coming into my own with Buddhism.. i'm starting to share this journey now after much self exploration...

my early morning meditations set my day wonderfully...

my facebook weight loss page:
http://www.facebook.com/asyllyjourney
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sylvie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #125
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

I haven't listened to this yet.
http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2012/07...ss-meditation/
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #126
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

Live Webcasts: Shantideva's "A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life

There will be live webcasts of His Holiness the Dalai Lama teachings on Shantideva's "A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life (chodjug)" at the request of a group of Southeast Asians at the Main Tibetan Temple in Dharamsala, India, on September 4-6, 2012. There will be live webcasts in English, Chinese, Tibetan and Russian languages. The live webcasts can be viewed at http://dalailama.com/liveweb

For times in your region: 9:30am IST on September 4th in Dharamsala, India, is the same as 5:00am BST on September 4th in London, England; and 9:00pm PDT on September 3rd in Los Angeles, California, USA
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #127
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamma View Post
Live Webcasts: Shantideva's "A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life

There will be live webcasts of His Holiness the Dalai Lama teachings on Shantideva's "A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life (chodjug)" at the request of a group of Southeast Asians at the Main Tibetan Temple in Dharamsala, India, on September 4-6, 2012. There will be live webcasts in English, Chinese, Tibetan and Russian languages. The live webcasts can be viewed at http://dalailama.com/liveweb

For times in your region: 9:30am IST on September 4th in Dharamsala, India, is the same as 5:00am BST on September 4th in London, England; and 9:00pm PDT on September 3rd in Los Angeles, California, USA
ooh, thanks for sharing this! i hope it gets recorded! i'll be asleep tonight during the broadcast.

i've been lurking in this thread for awhile and i thought i should pop in and say hi

i used to practically live at a tibetan buddhist temple when i was a teenager and i got really involved there. i still practice meditation now and read a lot but have felt disconnected from any kind of local group for awhile. i've enjoyed reading everyone's posts here.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #128
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
ooh, thanks for sharing this! i hope it gets recorded! i'll be asleep tonight during the broadcast.

i've been lurking in this thread for awhile and i thought i should pop in and say hi

i used to practically live at a tibetan buddhist temple when i was a teenager and i got really involved there. i still practice meditation now and read a lot but have felt disconnected from any kind of local group for awhile. i've enjoyed reading everyone's posts here.

Hi..

Just something about those temples, i know for me i felt a huge surge inside just spinning the prayer wheels.

i've always wanted to go inside a Monastery.

Nice to see you

The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #129
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post

i've often wanted to learn to really meditate, REALLY meditate. i've tried so many times but i just can't get to the level i want to. i am a hypnotherapist and i think that somehow interferes with my inability to really get to the level i want . i keep putting myself in the role of the person putting the other person under.

i know that there are different levels of meditation, and sometimes when people say they are meditating they are doing other things, or actually just relaxing... in reading those books a couple of years ago i learned about mindful meditation etc... but that is not what i want,

i want this:

in my experience that feeling only comes after a LOT of mindfulness and insight meditation. to be honest you kinda have to get past the boring suck with basic forms of meditation to get to the good stuff, and even then it goes in circles/waves. i've always been taught that in the context of buddhism, feeling attachment to the good meditation experiences is an unskillful emotion though. that may or may not help, hehe.

i've also felt a strong sense of deep meditation sometimes when in dhikr circles. muslims - particularly sufis - have a tradition of reciting parts of the qur'an or the names of allah and in a powerful dhikr circle the recitation actually changes the energy in the room. and sometimes when listening to synchronicity meditation - it is supposed to actually change your brain wave patterns and it definitely does SOMETHING to my brain because i can feel it really deeply.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #130
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
in my experience that feeling only comes after a LOT of mindfulness and insight meditation. to be honest you kinda have to get past the boring suck with basic forms of meditation to get to the good stuff, and even then it goes in circles/waves. i've always been taught that in the context of buddhism, feeling attachment to the good meditation experiences is an unskillful emotion though. that may or may not help, hehe.

i've also felt a strong sense of deep meditation sometimes when in dhikr circles. muslims - particularly sufis - have a tradition of reciting parts of the qur'an or the names of allah and in a powerful dhikr circle the recitation actually changes the energy in the room. and sometimes when listening to synchronicity meditation - it is supposed to actually change your brain wave patterns and it definitely does SOMETHING to my brain because i can feel it really deeply.

Wow that is so true. like once i was told to *go meditate*... i can't meditate on command. i need time out to do that. i can stop what i am doing, try to clear my head but not to achieve the level that moves me deep inside. i also learned about the different types of meditation in the readings i was doing. i think some may think they are meditating when actually they are just being still, and sometimes we meditate when we are deep inside our own self.

When i would kneel, really kneel, there was nothing else to do but focus, and for me a little added pain helped bring me to such a quiet state, but still i always wanted that blissful peace that i never could reach, where everything just shuts down. Maybe i was just in subspace, for me i'm flying at that time, but still would not consider it meditation.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #131
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post

Wow that is so true. like once i was told to *go meditate*... i can't meditate on command. i need time out to do that. i can stop what i am doing, try to clear my head but to achieve the level that moves me deep inside. i also learned about the different types of meditation in the readings i was doing. i think some may think they are meditating when actually they are just being still, and sometimes we meditate when we are deep inside our own self.

When i would kneel, really kneel, there was nothing else to do but focus, and for me a little added pain helped bring me to such a quiet state, but still i always wanted that blissful peace that i never could reach, where everything just shuts down. Maybe i was just in subspace, for me i'm flying at that time, but still would not consider it meditation.
for me meditation is like exercise. it sucks and i don't wanna, but when i do it, i feel better. and when i do it on a regular basis, i notice changes in my life and behavior, like the ability to be mindful with normal tasks, be a better listener, respond more with compassion. and eventually i become more at peace in meditation and outside of it. sometimes that leads to more intense meditation experiences, but i was taught that that shouldn't be the focus or goal of meditation (for me at least).

i definitely agree that flying in subspace has some connections...i love that blissful feeling. it's different than what meditation feels like for me. but it can also be a state of heightened awareness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #132
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
for me meditation is like exercise. it sucks and i don't wanna, but when i do it, i feel better. and when i do it on a regular basis, i notice changes in my life and behavior, like the ability to be mindful with normal tasks, be a better listener, respond more with compassion. and eventually i become more at peace in meditation and outside of it. sometimes that leads to more intense meditation experiences, but i was taught that that shouldn't be the focus or goal of meditation (for me at least).

i definitely agree that flying in subspace has some connections...i love that blissful feeling. it's different than what meditation feels like for me. but it can also be a state of heightened awareness.
Yes, being a hypnotherapist and an energy worker (i do this in conjunction with bodywork) i love watching people at peace, relaxing and *flying*... so you would think simple meditation would come easy for me. Maybe i'm just fighting it.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #133
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

Jaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST Reputation
Default karma

I dont i.d. as Buddhist but would say that I have been Buddhist minded for around 20 years. I have visited a local monastery on numerous occasions and when I lst went was taken aback when a monk said to me "there's no such thing as an innocent child" I felt "how nasty is that" - it took me quite a while to understand what he meant, though he never elaborated on his statement - maybe it was to get me thinking - it certainly did. Of course, it was there all the time, that old thing Karma, natural law, what we sow we reap, however you want to put it. We are all born by our own desires and "blessed" with the karma of previous lives, so as that beautiful, wide eyed baby, we are there by our own doing. In Buddhism (and many other religions/beliefs) its thought that our actions in the present life (& sometimes those past) create the reality of our next one - who we are, how we are, to whom we are born, whether we are well or ill, whether rich or poor - all designed by ourselves to finally and hopefully "get it". This is my understanding of life anyway, obviously not shared by everyone.
That made it easier for me to understand the difficult lives and death of my parents who were practically saints yet had it so hard, my gender dysphoria, the confusion and pain and reality of it. The pain, cruelty and injustice humans inflict upon one another. I was able to accept these things and see that they are all the karmic result of the lives we lead and our inability to understand natural laws. So now when im tempted to do something naughty, illegal etc. Im a little ashamed to admit that its not always the goody two shoes in me that decides "better not" - its the self preservation - thinking, "nope, im not going to reap the rewards of that one" and keeps me (mostly anyway) on the straight and narrow. When I try to push it all aside, low and behold, i get a reminder right on the chin and know its time to get back on track.............there really is no way out - lol!:hangloose
Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaques For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #134
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Yaknow i kinda get that, being " Buddhist " and being "Buddhist minded."

i hope that everyone on this thread gets to enjoy the insight of others, i know i do. i hope people keep posting about their experiences.

i don't feel that one way of a spiritual life is enough for me, so i enjoy a few, i am grateful for being exposed to some Buddhist teachings. i lost faith in it during a personal hard time but Buddha has been present in my life since i can remember, and it still remains that way.

The Temple that sylvie is talking about also brought things together for me when i visited there. Just the energy is amazing. If ever you have a chance to visit a temple, do it!

i don't think i will ever consider myself a Buddhist but have adopted some of the ways of the Buddhist.

i am fascinated with the life of Buddha, but also many other Gods and Goddesses of the past.

i think for ME, Buddhist' ways are just very simple.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #135
Jaques

How Do You Identify?:
male/TG

Jaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST ReputationJaques Has the BEST Reputation

I also follow the teachings of Christ as I believe he like the Buddha who was born a long time before, is a fully realised being who brought truth to the world. Both taught people to look inside to find it for themselves and the Buddha encouraged us to question everything, including what he taught so we could really understand why we are here and the impermenant nature of everything. They came at it from different angles but the main message to us was to be compassionate, not only to others but firstly to ourselves so that we are better placed to help those around us. Some people might see this as selfish but to me it makes sense. I dont call myself a Buddhist, if i admit it, i am not good at commitment and i couldnt take the 5 precepts because i drink alcohol, not a lot but it is a mind altering substance - but then so's coffee, lol! Actually, i have just learned that the Buddha took cannabis as part of his diet - i dont do drugs but have heard its a good medicine used in the right way.
I think the lst thing that drew me to Buddhism was when i saw the Dalai lama interviewed and when asked how he viewed his enemy, the Chinese, where Christ was reputed to have said "love your enemies" - the Dalai Lamas reply was "there is no enemy, we are all brothers, all the same.........." For a man who has had his country ravaged (firstly by the English in l912, colonel younghusband) and then the chinese inthe l950's, his people still persecuted, the panchen lama kidnapped as a 5 yr old and replaced by the chinese chosen lama, hes one heck of a guy and has such an infectious laugh. Hes the kind of guy, who when looking at the magnificence of the Himalayas, would notice a tiny flower at his feet and marvel at that............so my journey began - and yes, its great to hear others experiences too..........

over to you..............
Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaques For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #136
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Someone once told me about being their experience of being in His Holiness' presence. i heard it was very moving and amazing.

i summon the deities that call to me at any given moment in life.

When i lose something i ask for St Anthony. Selling a house is St Joseph..When i feel a negative energy i ask for Buddha to help me to see that *they suffer greatly* , realize it's not about me it's about them and not take it personally (that's hard). When i need help with children or little ones i ask Yameya, Mother Mary for guidance. At times Mary Magdeline comes to my mind. When i work and put my hands on people i ask for help from ALL of them to guide me facilitating others in their healing.

i don't want to exclude any spiritual guide and i shouldn't have to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #137
StrongButch

How Do You Identify?:
I see the world thru a lens
Preferred Pronoun?:
Yes Boss
Relationship Status:
Chillin out with awesome women

Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,179 Posts
StrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Buddhism Quotes

Hard times build determination and inner strength. Through them we can also come to appreciate the uselessness of anger Instead of getting angry nuture a deep caring respect for troublemakers because by creating such trying circumstances they provide us with invalueable opportunities to practice tolerance and compassion- Dali Lama
StrongButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrongButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #138
Femminator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married, but not legally in my state!

Femminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST ReputationFemminator Has the BEST Reputation

Does anyone else here engage in moving meditation? I have found that when I run, I meditate with much more focus than I do when I sit. My wife and children have even noticed that after I run, I am so much more at peace and focused than before. I have found it to be a great way for me to meditate.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #139
jac
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
butch stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine ones work best...
Relationship Status:
♥ engaged to spritz ♥

Thanked 16,492 Times in 2,972 Posts
jac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femminator View Post
Does anyone else here engage in moving meditation? I have found that when I run, I meditate with much more focus than I do when I sit. My wife and children have even noticed that after I run, I am so much more at peace and focused than before. I have found it to be a great way for me to meditate.
I tend to do a walking meditation when I have my mind set for that. Thich Nhat Hanh speaks of walking meditations. And I will apologize early if this has been mentioned already. I haven't taken the time to read through the thread just yet, but I will.
jac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #140
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I was just reading -- at dinner tonight -- a description of the Dalai Lama's meeting with Thomas Merton (in Re-Enchantment: Tibetan Buddhism Comes to the West by Jeffrey Paine). What was really cool though was Merton's encounter with another lama, the last one he saw before he left India.

Anyway, all this lama would teach Merton was the very advanced technique of shooting consciousness out of the fontanel at the time of death. Merton wrote in his journal something like that doesn't seem too useful. But within a few weeks, Merton was dead. Accidental electrocution. The Lama said later that he could sense that Merton did not have long to live and did not see the point in teaching him anything else.

I guess when Merton met the Dalai Lama earlier in his visit, they both got on the floor so the Dalai Lama could help Merton with his lotus position. Don't you wish they'd gotten a picture of that?

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: