JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

3 different romance series... at once... teen romance at that... I'm sad...
Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #2102
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Think I am in love with this woman's mind

Communion : the female search for love / Bell Hooks

Beginning with All about Love (2000), hooks, a courageous, incisive writer whose compassion is backed by vigorous intellectualism, embarked on a provocative, invaluable dissection of the myriad obstacles to love in a society shackled by racism, the subject of Salvation: Black People and Love [BKL F 15 01], and patriarchal assumptions, the focus of this blazing inquiry.

Working from the premise that women of all backgrounds are still made to feel that their worth, or lovableness, is gauged not by inner qualities but by their appearance and how they serve others, especially men, hooks traces the dire effects of society's ongoing devaluation of women as she parses the dynamics of marriage, contrasts the experiences of different generations of women, analyzes women's collusion with patriarchal culture, and assesses feminism's achievements and failures.

Digging deeply into the snarl of sexist habits of thought and being, hooks concludes that women can have true love and autonomy in their lives only if, starting with mothers and daughters, they genuinely support each other in confronting misogyny in all its insidious forms.
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #2103
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

"The Seven Story Mountain" by Thomas Merton.

"Contemplative Prayer" by Thomas Merton

and......

"Pinewood Derby Speed Secrets; Design and Build the Ultimate Car" by David Meade

Katniss~~(Competition and Contemplative topics....it's all about balance!)
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #2104
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

finally finished
Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident
by Donnie Eichar

overall a pretty good easy read and i was all in all the way through

the author's theory of the hikers last night - chilling

mystery solved to my satisfaction
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #2105
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

Queering Marriage: Challenging Family Formation in the United States (Families in Focus) by: Katrina Kimport

This is a fascinating book on how same sex marriage impacts heterosexual privilege. In certain ways it supports the family values of the past, while building new bridges into a new worldwide cultural expansion. It illustrates how we as gay people have altered the thinking of millions of heterosexual couples. They have understood marriage is more than just a fact of life which is natural and taken for granted. It is to be cherished because we have been fighting for the ability to love and share in marriage. Must read.
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #2106
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,919 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Almost finished with..

Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck

It was described in a blurb I read as the Help meets To Kill a Mockingbird
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #2107
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading 'Envy and Gratitude', a collection of papers by Melanie Klein.

The woman is awesome if not a little bit scary.
Redsunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #2108
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Feminist nostalgia continues.....

Feminist theory from margin to center / Bell Hooks.

Black women: shaping feminist theory -- Feminism: a movement to end sexist oppression -- Significance of feminist movement -- Sisterhood: political solidarity between women -- Men: comrades in struggle -- Changing perspectives on power -- Rethinking the nature of work -- Educating women: a feminist agenda -- Feminist movement to end violence -- Revolutionary parenting -- Ending female sexual oppression -- Revolution: development through struggle.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #2109
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLY View Post
Finished "Orange Is The New Black" couple of weekends ago and have been reading "Dead Until Dark" by Charlaine Harris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLY View Post
Last night I finished "To Kill A Mockingbird" and started "Orange Is The New Black" Just as I enjoy a variety of music, anywhere from Bee Gees to Three doors down to Lionel Richie to Linkin Park, I have been enjoying a variety of very different books
Just finished "MockingJay" the 3rd book in the Hunger Games. Was pretty good. Now I think I will look through my books and start up a new read.

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #2110
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

"Art in Science: Selections from Emerging Infectious Disease" by Polyxeni Potter

The journal's highly popular fine-art covers are contextualized with essays that address how the featured art relates to science, and to us all. Through the combined covers and essays, the journal's contents -- topics such as infections, contagions, disease emergence, antimicrobial resistance -- find larger context amid topics such as poverty and war, the hazards of global travel, natural disasters, and human-animal interactions.
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #2111
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (new translation!)

Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow

No Respect: Intellectuals and Popular Culture
by Andrew Ross
tapu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tapu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #2112
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I read "The Fault in Our Stars" yesterday and this morning and was surprised at the decency of the writing. Loved how the author captured the "otherworld" created with two people in love and two people in love and dying.
A nice, if not heart-jerking read.

John Green seems to be the newest author on my "read everything they've done" list.

"Looking for Alaska" is next. Working at home today and always enjoy a good audiobook while coding. Both sides of the brain engaged! WEE.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #2113
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading the "Fifty Shades" trilogy. I know i am slow on the uptake and it's been around a long time.

But. It's really awesome.

Forever a romantic i am.
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #2114
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Reading a bunch of mind-bending stuff for a general semantics class.
Although, I'm getting pulled in by the works of Alfred Korzybski.

For fun, I'm still trying to find time to finish We Are Water by Wally Lamb. Each time I get to pick up the book I feel as though I'm starting over.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #2115
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

The dance of deception : pretending and truth-telling in women's lives / Harriet Goldhor Lerner

Book List Review

While lying is socially taboo, pretending things are other than they are is not only sometimes acceptable but often encouraged and rewarded. Patriarchal culture teaches women to pretend and sometimes deceive, Lerner says, and in her study of the role this dissembling plays in women's lives, she shows how "pretending reflects deep prohibitions, real and imagined, against a more direct and forthright assertion of self." Lerner uses anecdotal examples to illustrate how and why women show the false and hide the real. Her examples and accompanying discussions cover self-deception, protection of others from painful truths, privacy, and family secrets, and each section clearly points out how deception is incorporated into women's lives and how they can learn to purge it from their behavior. She acknowledges that truth telling is not easy, yet her discussion of the many ways women lie and how lying affects them clearly shows the benefits of honesty and makes her prescription appealing. ~--Lindsay Throm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #2116
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I read "The Fault in Our Stars" yesterday and this morning and was surprised at the decency of the writing. Loved how the author captured the "otherworld" created with two people in love and two people in love and dying.
A nice, if not heart-jerking read.

John Green seems to be the newest author on my "read everything they've done" list.

"Looking for Alaska" is next. Working at home today and always enjoy a good audiobook while coding. Both sides of the brain engaged! WEE.
I taught "The Fault in Our Stars" this semester to a group of Grade 12s. We all loved it!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #2117
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Thumbs up

finished "the goldfinch", by donna tartt mid-week. (tragic story-line, but a decent read)

finished "innocence", by dean koontz this mornin'. (love me some mr. koontz, a good read)

gettin' ready to start "looking for alaska", by john green.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #2118
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,919 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel and Bret Witter

Thought I'd check out the book before the movie is released on Feb 7th. If your interested in art, history, or just looking for a very interesting read, I'd suggest this book!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #2119
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am reverting back to my teenage years and rereading Flowers in the Attic.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #2120
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma: The Innate Capacity to Transform Overwhelming Experiences by Peter A. Levine and Ann Frederick

Dr. Levine is just an amazing psychologist. I've also had the pleasure of watching him work with traumatized patients and see the difference he can make.
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading