Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,951 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Fever Dream
by Douglas Preston
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #142
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Can you tell I'm doing some catching up on this thread which took me awhile to find?

I don't know if I've mentioned to you before but I also love Susanna Kaysen's memoir as an adult: "The Camera My Mother Gave Me." Excellent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrrl View Post
I'm re-reading a few right now, including:

*Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. The memoir is different from the film, which are brilliant in their own rights. This book also makes a great gift.

*Gracefully Insane: Life and Death Inside America's Premier Mental Hospital by Alex Beam is a wonderful investigation into McLean, the mental institution where notables--such as Sylvia Plath, James Taylor, & Susanna Kaysen--visited for treatment. The discussion on (and interviews concerning) 1960s youth culture at McLean is particularly insightful.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #143
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I loved Lucy Grealy's book and also truly adored the non-fiction book that Lucy's best friend, Ann Patchett, wrote about their relationship: "Truth and Beauty: A Friendship." Unexpectedly wonderful!

Quote:
selections from Lucy Grealy's Autobiography of a Face--an excellent read & really wonderful to discuss with others

Alice Walker's “Beauty: When the Other Dancer is the Self”--a lovely short piece where Walker discusses her childhood trauma and how it shaped her identity
Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #144
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

Texts from a handsome sarcastic ass....
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #145
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

A bunch of books on altered art.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #146
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I felt the same way about Gender Outlaw and also love her book: "Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks & Other Outlaws"

Quote:
Currently skimming Kate Bornstein's Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women, & the Rest of Us for quotes. If you haven't read it, it's worth the time!

Here's an excerpt...

I write when nothing else will bring me peace, when I burn, when I find myself asking and answering the same questions over and over…I write in bottom space. I open up to you, I cut myself, I show you my fantasies, I get a kick out of that—oh, yeah. I perform in top space. I cover myself with my character and take you where you never dreamed you could go. Yes. My ancestors did this. My instrument is not my pen or my typewriter, not my lover’s Macintosh, not my cast of characters, not my body on stage. No, my instrument is my audience and oh how I love to play you.

Damn, she's brilliant--and that red hair when I saw her perform....
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #147
imadiva

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Honey
Relationship Status:
Slow and steady ! We are tightly bound !

imadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputationimadiva Has the BEST Reputation
Default I am reading

The Hour I First Believed by Walley Lamb
imadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imadiva For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #148
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

"The Royals" by Kitty Kelley
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #149
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Can you tell I'm doing some catching up on this thread which took me awhile to find?

I don't know if I've mentioned to you before but I also love Susanna Kaysen's memoir as an adult: "The Camera My Mother Gave Me." Excellent!!!
I haven't read that yet, but I'm glad to hear that it's a worthwhile read (I've heard little, but negative about it--but figured the topic, not the text, was the reason).

Did you know that the title came from a a Buńuel movie, Viridiana; however, Kaysen remembered the quote wrong (it was the camera my father gave me). The scene is quite interesting--a parody of the Last Supper, some argue: at a drunken family reunion, a girl lifts her dress and to "take the picture."

Source 1; source 2

Quote:
I loved Lucy Grealy's book and also truly adored the non-fiction book that Lucy's best friend, Ann Patchett, wrote about their relationship: "Truth and Beauty: A Friendship." Unexpectedly wonderful!
Ya know, I had mixed feelings about that one; but, generally, it was difficult for me to read. I felt, at some points, Patchet was exploiting Grealy or exaggerating...or something [I can't quite put my finger on it]. I've been in a couple of academic programs for creative writing, and I gotta tell anyone who hasn't that it's an odd environment. Suddenly, you have people who are in their twenties, thirties, forties, and up acting like they are jaded adolescents; for some reason, the drama is sky-high, jealousy is rampant, and there's even crying in workshop (not writing-related reasons)! So, I kinda wonder what Patchet's motives in writing were...(just sayin'). Luckily, I was able to meet Grealy during a writing workshop; gosh, she was gone way too soon.

Quote:
I felt the same way about Gender Outlaw and also love her book: "Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks & Other Outlaws"
Ooh, I love that one too! I think it's an awesome book to gift to others, as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadiva View Post
The Hour I First Believed by Walley Lamb
I enjoy Lamb's writing style, but I haven't read that one. I really love Couldn't Keep It to Myself: Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Institution (Testimonies from our Imprisoned Sisters).

Happy Readin', Ya'll!

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #150
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I probably posted this but I just finished it. "Women Food & God" by Geneen Roth. It doesn't normally take me so long to finish a book. I'm busy, its true but I found myself going back, reading, putting down and reflecting. This book brought tears to my eyes and it very well may change my life.

I don't diet any more. I am learning to listen to my body and understand why I want things. Learning to be kind to my body and heal.

Great book I will read again and again
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #151
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

I'm currently reading Keep the Grave Green by Deborah Crombie. The story and characters feel like an Elizabeth George knock off. George writes the Inspector Lynley mysteries. So far a good story but Elizabeth George is much better and more entertaining. Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #152
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Under-Saturns-Shadow-Wounding-Psychology/dp/0919123643"]Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men[/ame] by James Hollis.

Just started [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Dragon-Tattoo-Stieg-Larsson/dp/1847242537"]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[/ame] by Stieg Larrson. I was ready for some fiction.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #153
Softly

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Softly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST Reputation
Default again.

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

then I plan on reading The Host by Stephine Meyer.
Softly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Softly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #154
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Innocent by Scot Turow....sequel to Presumed Innocent.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #155
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

I'm in the middle of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Good book. Took a few chapters to get into it, but it's an easy book to pick up on my bus ride to/from work.

cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #156
cane

How Do You Identify?:
male identified butch
Relationship Status:
Married

cane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
I'm in the middle of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Good book. Took a few chapters to get into it, but it's an easy book to pick up on my bus ride to/from work.

It's an ok book...the film was ok too, Don't know if you have the film in the US, or if they are making a new version for you guys...
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #157
cane

How Do You Identify?:
male identified butch
Relationship Status:
Married

cane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputation

BTW, I'm reading 'Pride and Prejudice' by the ever so awsome Jane Austen...simply love her, and love the language...
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #158
Kate09
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly ones!
Relationship Status:
single

Kate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST ReputationKate09 Has the BEST Reputation

I have a habit of reading certain books over and over. I love the familiarity i find in them. I learn the stories so well...but i never fail to see a new angle.
some of those faves are..

While Oleander; Janet Fitch
"Loneliness is the human condition. Cultivate it.The way it tunnels into you allows your soul room to grow. Never expect to outgrow loneliness. Never hope to find people who will understand you, someone to fill that space...If you expect to find people who will understand you, you will grow murderous with disappointment. The best you'll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way"

She's come undone; Wally Lamb

Eat, Pray, Love; Elizabeth Gilbert

Memoirs of a Geisha; Arthur Golden

Wicked; Gregory Macguire

I am reading one of these books at all times, as well as whatever newbies I have in my little hands. I love books. They've never truly let me down.
Kate09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kate09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #159
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. About building schools in Pakistan. Amazing story. Both hopeful and sad.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #160
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Lincoln's Ladies by H. Donald Winkler and Frank J. Williams
The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel: A Novel by Maureen Lindley
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading