Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #61
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows papa View Post
"I followed you on twitter on your aids ride. Just wanted you to know I still read your tweets. Every time I roast a batch of coffee beans, I think of you (crazy how small the internet world is isn't it?) I think of you and all the wine folks sitting at the computer in your sunglasses tasting for flavours of flowers or hints of spice. Geeze, that calls for a good cigar!"

I believe that was Diavolo that you were following on Twitter. Diavolo does the Aids LifeCycle event about every year, I think. I would LOVE to do one though!
OK. I was looking at this trying to figure out who rode what when. LOL!

I just rode for the first time this year but we'd love to see you out there too. It's an amazing event. Your job is to eat, sleep and ride. That's it. This year we raised $13 million to fight HIV is SF and LA.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #62
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation
Default you're confused....so am i....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post

I just rode for the first time this year but we'd love to see you out there too. It's an amazing event. Your job is to eat, sleep and ride. That's it. This year we raised $13 million to fight HIV is SF and LA.
Here I was having a complete conversation with the wrong person...I couldn't piece together the nashville/SF thing

OK, now that I have this all clear

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #63
Daktari

Oh my giddy aunt!! I think I've broken myself after the longest time I've spent in the saddle for over 15yrs.

I rode out this afternoon with my college mate Marc. He's a sweet boy of 23 and kept up well with this 47yr old We cycled to my home village and down by the river looking for ship wreck remains - it's a tidal river which had a really thriving fishing port at the estuary. We followed the river path which turned into a very narrow track that I probably shouldn't have taken a road bike down but we made it with just some nettle stings for me...Marc was in his tartan long trews so escaped the stings. I've just calculated our mileage and we rolled just over 19 miles.

I made it home and shoved some lovely hot buttered crumpets down my neck, had half a mug of tea and shot out the door again to go join the first Breeze ride in Blackpool.
http://www.goskyride.com/breeze
We were just a small group and to be honest the ride was a little slow for some of us but it was fun nontheless. They were mainly older, straight ladies and they really didn't know what to make of me but that was cool. We cycled along the Prom (for the 3rd time in the day for me) for 5 and a bit miles to a pub we all knew and then, after a pint, cycled back again. Adding this ride to my daily total takes me to just about 30miles and I'm totally pooped. I have a bruised hand (I need cycle gloves), a still stinging calf from the nettles, sore bits from a new saddle and shorts that aren't padded enough and a grazed knee from falling over to match the big hole in my other knee when I got forced off my bike a week or so ago. All in all it's been a grand day in the saddle

The ride leader Carly and I were having a chat about clipless vs cages as we were coming to the end of our ride and just as I'd said "I always take my foot out of the cage if I anticipate a problem" I managed to not get my foot out the cage as we stopped and down I went. ...I couldn't help but hoot with laughter. I'm looking forward to getting out with the 'ladies' again when I get back from Madame Cholet's burrow in a couple of weeks.

Marc and his steed by the river.

The wider bit of the narrow track
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #64
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I need a good bike that will accomodate my plus-size self! Any recommendations appreciated!

I had a wonderful bike about 7 or 8 years ago that I had to let go and miss it and am looking for something that I can ride (for weight loss) that is simple and durable.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #65
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

I did some digging:

ME WANT! Now if someone can make $2000 appear out of thin air!

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/Cust...perbicycle.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #66
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I did some digging:

ME WANT! Now if someone can make $2000 appear out of thin air!

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/Cust...perbicycle.htm
Niiiiice! So wish I could afford to spend a couple of grand on a bicycle too

I'm sure you'd be fine with a basic hybrid bike Medusa. What's your budget?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #67
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Incubus/Medusa

For the most part, that bike is ideal, however...do you really want drum brakes and disc brakes? I agree with everything else about it but don't know why you need *motorcycle* type of braking system.

I admit, I'm on brain overload and about to go to bed.....I's suggest you look at TREK. They make many many bikes for women. and I'd bet you could get a great cruiser for arounf $500 dollars.

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #68
Daktari

Yup the Trek bikes are worth looking at.

If you're prepared to cock your leg over a cross-bar the Kona Smoke is worth looking at. Reviews I read of it when I started looking for a new bike said that it's heavyish and bombproof.

It's worth visiting any local bike shops in your area Medusa and just asking advice to start with. Keep an eye on good old ebay (I bought Lady H on ebay uk) and Craigs list.

I hope you find the steed that suits you.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #69
SnackTime

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
UNattainable

2 Highscores

Thanked 13,229 Times in 2,884 Posts
SnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows papa View Post
"I followed you on twitter on your aids ride. Just wanted you to know I still read your tweets. Every time I roast a batch of coffee beans, I think of you (crazy how small the internet world is isn't it?) I think of you and all the wine folks sitting at the computer in your sunglasses tasting for flavours of flowers or hints of spice. Geeze, that calls for a good cigar!"

I believe that was Diavolo that you were following on Twitter. Diavolo does the Aids LifeCycle event about every year, I think. I would LOVE to do one though!
Quote:

I believe Shad could have been thinking of Pops (do not quote me). I know Pops has been participating in this event for 10+ years now.

"There's something to be said for not saying anything"
SnackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnackTime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #70
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
Niiiiice! So wish I could afford to spend a couple of grand on a bicycle too

I'm sure you'd be fine with a basic hybrid bike Medusa. What's your budget?

I'd prefer to spend around $300 or less but would be willing to go to $500 for something amazing!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #71
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Today I found an old cruiser type bike but its pretty rough,needs work but I think I can get it for very little.Besides it may be a good restoration project for me to keep my evil hands and mind buisey.Its about 20 odd yro,dirty not to rusty,needs a saddle but also has most of its parts.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #72
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'd prefer to spend around $300 or less but would be willing to go to $500 for something amazing!
I think that Incubus is giving good advice when he mentioned contacting your local bike shop.

Call and ask them what they can tell you about bicycles that would fit for you in regards to your weight. To be honest with you, I don't know any information on that, but the last thing you want to do is spend a lot of money b/c you think that you need a specific frame due to your "plus size", only to find out that it is not necessary. All it will then bring you is a heavier bike...a heavier bike means having to work harder to get it where you want to go! Who wants to do that unless necessary?!

Consider a hybrid. This is a bicycle whose tires are between the skinny tires of the road bikes and the thick tires of the mountain bikes. You will have the comfort of being seated upright and will have the ability to be able to ride on the road or hard packed trails.

Although I am a Cannondale guy, I concur that Trek would be good to look at b/c they have a number of women specific frames. However, finding a woman specific frame I think is more important than any specific brand. If your body type is similar to most women's (shorter torso, longer legs), making this choice is a good one.

The additional benefit to buying from a bike shop is that they will "fit" the bike to you. Meaning, they will make sure that number one, you purchase the correct size frame, and number two, they will set up the seat, handlebars, etc., to the right position for you. People don't realize how important this is. A bike fitting correctly will make all the difference in the world with how far you are comfortable riding. That in itself is worth $100. A bike that doesn't fit someone correctly will stay in the garage.

If you have problems in the future, you can bring your bike in and they will do simple stuff for free, too. They will also give you lots of advice and stuff b/c all they want to do is talk all things bike!

Last thing, I personally like to use bike shops that are independently owned, and not chain stores. With an independent bike shop you can be more certain that they REALLY know what they are doing when I talk about the above. Also, ask them if they know of any places to get a used bike.

Good Luck!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #73
Daktari

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you should be able get something entry level and adequate specification for your price bracket. I've never spent more than what would the sterling equivalent of $500 on a bike. Much as I would love to invest over a £1000 for a recumbent I don't think that's gonna happen until there's icicles in hell

Lady Haydock is a classic old bike and cost the princely sum of £128 (that's just a shade over $200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Today I found an old cruiser type bike but its pretty rough,needs work but I think I can get it for very little.Besides it may be a good restoration project for me to keep my evil hands and mind buisey.Its about 20 odd yro,dirty not to rusty,needs a saddle but also has most of its parts.
Woooohoooo! That was a quick find Rockin! A restoration project sounds like fun. I wish you happy pedaling. *insert a more appropriate cycling smiley than the one available*
Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #74
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

The ride leader Carly and I were having a chat about clipless vs cages as we were coming to the end of our ride and just as I'd said "I always take my foot out of the cage if I anticipate a problem" I managed to not get my foot out the cage as we stopped and down I went. ...I couldn't help but hoot with laughter. I'm looking forward to getting out with the 'ladies' again when I get back from Madame Cholet's burrow in a couple of weeks.

Love the pics.

Oh, and clipless here! I can get my foot twisted out of those much quicker than could slide my foot backwards out of a cage.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #75
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Love the pics.

Oh, and clipless here! I can get my foot twisted out of those much quicker than could slide my foot backwards out of a cage.
Cheers Dapper, it amuses me to take pics of where I've rolled along to.

I am sorely tempted to try clipless but not sure I can afford to invest in new pedals and shoes when a rear rack, fenders and a new stem are more important to me. Oh well, only until December to wait for birthday and Christmas presents
Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #76
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you should be able get something entry level and adequate specification for your price bracket. I've never spent more than what would the sterling equivalent of $500 on a bike. Much as I would love to invest over a £1000 for a recumbent I don't think that's gonna happen until there's icicles in hell

Lady Haydock is a classic old bike and cost the princely sum of £128 (that's just a shade over $200)

Woooohoooo! That was a quick find Rockin! A restoration project sounds like fun. I wish you happy pedaling. *insert a more appropriate cycling smiley than the one available*
As I type this post said bike is now on my patio,the guy said the $25.00 I offered him was an ok deal,he brought it while I was in the shower and sonny boy paid him out of my emergency fund (coffee can).Sonny boy said is a swhin twin headlight boys cruising bike something like a early 50's modle,was a red and hawiian blue color.It still has original tires,headlights and the thing on the side of the wheel to power the light..something tells me im gonna have some fun with this bike.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #77
Daktari

Quote:
As I type this post said bike is now on my patio,the guy said the $25.00 I offered him was an ok deal,he brought it while I was in the shower and sonny boy paid him out of my emergency fund (coffee can).Sonny boy said is a swhin twin headlight boys cruising bike something like a early 50's modle,was a red and hawiian blue color.It still has original tires,headlights and the thing on the side of the wheel to power the light..something tells me im gonna have some fun with this bike.
How cool is that...and dynamo lights too...a definite result!!

Original tyres you say? On an early 50's bike? Jeepers I'd change those as soon as possible. Rubber degrades and the last thing you want is a blow out. Hitting tarmac at speed hurts....a lot!

Sounds like s/he will be a grand ride though. I hope you can preserve the original paintwork.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #78
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I need a good bike that will accomodate my plus-size self! Any recommendations appreciated!

I had a wonderful bike about 7 or 8 years ago that I had to let go and miss it and am looking for something that I can ride (for weight loss) that is simple and durable.
I'd say take a look at cruisers and hybrids. They are fun, easy to get going on and as long as you don't get clips you won't do an Artie Johnson, which is really embarrassing. Although the CEO of the AIDS/Lifecycle did two on Day 1 so it can't be that bad.

On sale for $179. My work is done here.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #79
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
How cool is that...and dynamo lights too...a definite result!!

Original tyres you say? On an early 50's bike? Jeepers I'd change those as soon as possible. Rubber degrades and the last thing you want is a blow out. Hitting tarmac at speed hurts....a lot!

Sounds like s/he will be a grand ride though. I hope you can preserve the original paintwork.

Tomorrow im going to take the bike and put it in the trunk of my car and go to the bike shop not far from hear,the guy that owns it has owned it since he was a teenager and thats been a long time ago.This way he can see what I have to work with and what I need..so now it starts cause I want to keep it as original as I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #80
Daktari

Quote:
I'd say take a look at cruisers and hybrids. They are fun, easy to get going on and as long as you don't get clips you won't do an Artie Johnson, which is really embarrassing. Although the CEO of the AIDS/Lifecycle did two on Day 1 so it can't be that bad.

On sale for $179. My work is done here.

That looks just the ticket Diavolo. How does one brake on such a bike? Is it a proper fixie so you have no chance to cruise? Is Arkansas really flat?

Quote:
Tomorrow im going to take the bike and put it in the trunk of my car and go to the bike shop not far from hear,the guy that owns it has owned it since he was a teenager and thats been a long time ago.This way he can see what I have to work with and what I need..so now it starts cause I want to keep it as original as I can.

That's just the sort of bike shop to use Rockin. They're usually Aladdin's Caves of bike bits and pieces and the guys who own them are usually far more knowledgeable than those who work in cycling chain stores, who usually only know something about the bikes they stock. I can't wait to see pics of your bike.