Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Decent reporting: does it exist any more?

I originally thought about asking why Fox News is considered such an authority in the US (they have the lion's share of the viewing audience, although that might be more due to location on the cable bill than anything else). I remember growing up on the likes Dan Rather, Walter Cronkite et al. where they did research, presented the research and then, maybe, once in a while, did an opinion piece separate from the news they told. Has this become a dying art?

To be fair, it's not just Fox News but many news channels are biased one way or another. It seems like the idea of truly unbiased and well researched news has been tossed out the window in favour of tabloid-like reporting. It's the 10-second grab and toss if you will and the juicier the news, the more we want it (hello FUD).

And speaking of Fox News, I don't get it (well, I kinda do -- it appears to the natural FUDing nature of people). The more I learn about what they do, the more I ask how the FCC et al. can allow them to exist. Two events recently made me go "Whaaaatttt?" (I laughed when he said that he was considering removing Fox News from Google search engine -- ya. Good luck with that, dude).

The first was an interview with Rupert Murdoch. During his interview he admitted that Glenn Beck was right at saying that Obama "doesn't like white people much" but that doesn't agree in saying that Obama is racist. Uh... huh? I could have sworn he just said that.. didn't he?

And I have to admit an affinity for the likes of Colbert and Stewart (along with Maddow and Olberman -- hrmm.. I may be skewed but I also like the CBC, BBC et al., which aren't necessarily liberal either). But a recent comment by Stewart made me do another double-take.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...rotest-footage

They actually make up news? I mean, is that really allowed to mislead people like that? I thought there were rules about this stuff or is it just the advertising?

Sigh.

Perhaps I'm too old-fashioned to want stories that were well researched and without a forced opinion so that I could form my own thoughts and opinions. It is 1984. I don't need a uniformed-tyrant to control the state; the mass media with it's distortion does a fine job, it seems. And it would appear that Marshall McLuhan was right: the medium is the message.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Legendryder

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Legendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST Reputation

I stick with the AP. They seem to keep things pretty unbiased. And, the reporters are normally in the same area all the time, so they can report not only what is going on, but how the people around them feel about it.
Legendryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Linus, spot on observation and a reasonable question. In answer to your question, "Decent reporting: does it exist anymore?" Mostly No. I say mostly because well researched news and unbiased news/journalism is hard to find. I know you know this already but much of the population gives no thought to the "news" they are being fed or not.

With the event of the internet news or what is labeled news/journalism can be found with the magic search engine. As like all news the key is some critical analysis but what I see happening is people take in the news, images react with some sort of emotional response, form an opinion without much critical and honest analysis. Can you tell I have got a bee in my bonnet? (Using that last phrase, I am showing my age.)

Back to journalism and the internet.... I am concerned that journalism is really in danger of disappearing altogether. People can get their "news" for free on the internet. Why buy a newspaper, magazine, journal? I like getting information/news for free and from all over the world. But how is real journalism, real researched news going to be sustained?

Thanks for the question.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Hey Linus, spot on observation and a reasonable question. In answer to your question, "Decent reporting: does it exist anymore?" Mostly No. I say mostly because well researched news and unbiased news/journalism is hard to find. I know you know this already but much of the population gives no thought to the "news" they are being fed or not.

With the event of the internet news or what is labeled news/journalism can be found with the magic search engine. As like all news the key is some critical analysis but what I see happening is people take in the news, images react with some sort of emotional response, form an opinion without much critical and honest analysis. Can you tell I have got a bee in my bonnet? (Using that last phrase, I am showing my age.)

Back to journalism and the internet.... I am concerned that journalism is really in danger of disappearing altogether. People can get their "news" for free on the internet. Why buy a newspaper, magazine, journal? I like getting information/news for free and from all over the world. But how is real journalism, real researched news going to be sustained?

Thanks for the question.

See, that's one of the things that bugged me when I was a professor. The internet is a tool that can be used for effective research. Just because the news is online (although a good, hefty Sunday edition with oodles of comics is something I still miss -- I do remember reading the Toronto Star front to back on Sundays) doesn't excuse it, IMO, from being done well.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
See, that's one of the things that bugged me when I was a professor. The internet is a tool that can be used for effective research. Just because the news is online (although a good, hefty Sunday edition with oodles of comics is something I still miss -- I do remember reading the Toronto Star front to back on Sundays) doesn't excuse it, IMO, from being done well.
Linus, I agree. It does not excuse it. You were a professor of Journalism? I am not surprised. Many times I have told my gf, if I knew what I know now, I would have majored in Journalism. I sold newspapers standing on the corner when I was in Junior High. Now I am really showing my age.

Linus, I remember when I first started to see you in cyberland. I think we are very fortunate that you found us and participate with us.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Linus, I agree. It does not excuse it. You were a professor of Journalism? I am not surprised. Many times I have told my gf, if I knew what I know now, I would have majored in Journalism. I sold newspapers standing on the corner when I was in Junior High. Now I am really showing my age.

Linus, I remember when I first started to see you in cyberland. I think we are very fortunate that you found us and participate with us.
LOL. No. I was a Professor of Computer and Network Security. When I saw the papers submitted by students it was there that I saw a degradation of research abilities. It was rather shocking and eye-opening but indicative of the nature of education and expectations that have changed over the years.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Linus, great thread. I recently watched Rachel Maddow speaking about why Fox is *just* a news organization. Thoughts?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LUid0IZ2w"]YouTube- Why Fox News isn't news[/ame]
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

A lot of what she said is right. I'm trying to remember when Bush was in power if MSNBC or other "liberal" outlets did the same thing as Beck et al have done and for the life of me, I cannot. I don't mind news stations having opinions and being vocal about their opinion but I dislike it when they mask that opinion as "news". (e.g., FoxNews promoting Tea Parties and the like). It smacks, to me, of nothing less than what gov't controlled media is like in nations like China, North Korea, etc.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

For the life of me I don't understand how Fox gets away with it. IMO they are creating the "perfect storm" and we could very well end up with an assassination. They are using racism SO overtly it frightens me. Deeply. They prey on the fears of the people in the worst possible ways.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

like so many other things, the "news" has come down to entertainment. advertisers, politicos, station owners are looking for more bang for the buck. or perhaps, more accurately, more buck for the bang.

while the days of yellow journalism are behind us, we've taken yet another turn on the truth spectrum. i've long held that the truth is subjective, and generally it's what you want to believe.

i think the type/level of reporting we see is indicative of the general malaise of society as a whole. if we didn't buy this tripe, they wouldn't be selling it. seems the standards for truth have fallen a bit. perhaps more people are willing to do less thinking for themselves right now.

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

I agree with you LM. I watch BBC news to find out what is going on here because they report all the stuff our media squashes.

Balloon Boy was the perfect example of how "news" has turned into a dog and pony show that is akin to 24/7 reality t.v.

In winter of 2004 I was not sleeping much due to medical issues. I had the tv on and at about 3 a.m. up pops a report of a 1.5 mile mushroom cloud over North Korea. A few minutes later Condeleeza Rice is on saying that yes it was a huge mushroom cloud (you could see it on satellite) but she was confident it was NOT a nuclear testing incident.

I fell asleep and woke back up at around 7 a.m. and no mention of the mushroom cloud anywhere. I searched online and found ONE reference to it, but that site was closed for maintenance when I refreshed the page. I watched every channel I could for three days and it was like the whole thing never happened. It was a huge moment of clarity for me that a one and half mile wide mushroom cloud over a country that was illegally making nukes could disappear into the abyss and be covered.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation
Default and another thing....

call me paranoid, but i have to wonder if the overabundance of conservative news programs is a way to get us inured to violence and wars and power struggles. conservative parties tend to me more hawkish than liberal parties and one of the best ways to get people to agree to things they might not is to scare the bejesus out of them.

point in case: the news after 9/11. like most everyone else, i was glued to the television, watching the same footage over and over. unlike most everyone else, i wasn't hugely surprised, nor was i of a mind that we were innocent victims. after all the governments we've installed and toppled, after all the collateral damage we've done....well, we had it coming. we'd been damned lucky that it never happened here before. i'm also of a mind that our government allowed this to happen. yes, conspiracy theory.

what i saw play out on the news made my skin crawl. i recall seeing all our legislators, walking into some building with lights strategically placed, flags flying...it smacked of the nuremburg rallies, at least visually. and what happened after that? the american public willingly gave away some of their civil liberties...to feel safer.

i see the slant and presentation of current news to be a further extension of that. while the republicans are no longer in power, they still wield a mighty hand behind the scenes. things being what they are, i won't be shocked if obama ends up being a single term president. hard to say what we'll end up with next.

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread and I have thought about this so much.

I am currently so annoyed at the coverage of the case of the 15 year old girl being ganged raped and beaten as others watched.

On CNN they have replayed the interview of one eye witness who describes in detail what he saw ( and watched for 30 minutes) . Hasn't this girl been brutalized enough? Have they acquired her permission to KEEP talking about her attack? I doubt it!

I would love to invent a station that would report on the good things and heroes in this world.. highlight teachers, nurses, firefighters etc..

The case with the boy in the balloon is another one.. its now a big joke. Are people forgetting there are kids here who were used by their parents and now
this poor kid will go through life as the "Balloon Boy"...where is our compassion?

Maybe no one would watch but as long as we focus over and over on the bad stuff we think that is all there is.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

When I grow up I want to be rich enough to create a news network that actually reports news.

Faux is the media wing of the republican party, MSNBC is left wing politics in the evenings and entertainment-style news during the day, and CNN is pretty people reading twitter feeds on the air. While I do enjoy Ed, Rachel, and Keith on MSNBC, the daytime "news" feels like anything but.
MsDemeanor is offline   Reply With Quote