Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 05-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #101
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Rise of the drones

NOVA reveals the amazing technologies that make drones so powerful. From cameras that can capture every detail of an entire city at a glance, to swarming robots that can make decisions on their own, to giant air frames that can stay aloft for days on end, drones are changing our relationship to war, surveillance and each other. Discover the cutting-edge technologies that are propelling us toward a new chapter in aviation history.

This was amazing. The technology behind this is freakin fascinating. It's use and potential abuse in imperfect human hands is scary.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #102
DMW

How Do You Identify?:
FTM/Male (Will 14)
Relationship Status:
Caught An Angel and she doesn't lie!

Thanked 1,861 Times in 614 Posts
DMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gasland

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/gasland_2010/
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #103
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

It might still be widely practiced today in the music industry, but years ago, in order to get press coverage and build a fan-base, Black musicians generally toured, and found widespread appreciation, music venues in Germany, Denmark and Norway (to name a few).

I found a West German documentary film about Jimmy Smith (circa 1965).

Excerpted from a reader's comment, on this video, I found out that:
"This tremendous documentary was directed by Klaus Wildenhahn, Ex-Chief of the documentary Dpt. of the NDR (North German Television) in Hamburg," (YouTube member: imaginatevos).
Upon further inspection, I found another comment about Jimmy Smith:
"Thanks for sharing such a great documentary about a great musical genius who played a significant role in the development of classical, traditional and contemporary JAZZ. Jimmy Smith will always be remembered for his outstanding contributions to JAZZ worldwide," (3 weeks ago, by: Gregory Eason).
I'm going to watch it, later on tonight, after supper.

PS/ There's no English translation or subtitles; the documentary is about 1 hour and 40 minutes; and includes interviews and concert footage. From what I can tell, it's mostly filmed in Black & White (noir).

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #104
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation
Default My absolute favourite documentary...

Reel Injun would have to be my favourite documentary in that it takes a look at the stereotyping of First Nations in Hollywood. Definitely makes one think, thats for sure.

http://www.reelinjunthemovie.com/site/
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #105
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks

The 1989 WANK worm attack on NASA computers, originally thought to threaten the Galileo spacecraft, is depicted as the work of Australian hackers, including Assange. The founding of Wikileaks in 2006 is followed by coverage of several key events: its 2009–2010 leaks about the Icelandic financial collapse, Swiss banking tax evasion, Kenyan government corruption, toxic-waste dumping, Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's communications with Adrian Lamo, uploads to Wikileaks of the Iraq and Afghanistan war documents, diplomatic cables, and video, exposure to the FBI by Lamo, and the accusations of sexual assault made against Assange. Interview subjects include Julian Assange, Chelsea Manning, Heather Brooke, James Ball, Donald Bostom, Nick Davies, Mark Davis, Jason Edwards, Michael Hayden, Adrian Lamo, J. William Leonard, Gavin MacFadyen, Smári McCarthy, Iain Overton, and Vaughan Smith.

Very interesting and informative and scary.

Tick, remove all sharp objects from the immediate area before viewing
Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #106
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Dirty wars

Today drone strikes, night raids, and U.S. government-condoned torture occur in corners across the globe, generating unprecedented civilian casualties. Investigative reporter Jeremy Scahill traces the rise of the Joint Special Operations Command, the most secret fighting force in U.S. history. No target is off-limits for the JSOC 'kill list,' not even a U.S. citizen. The director takes viewers on a chilling ride with whistle-blower Jeremy Scahill.

---------------

Powerful. Scary. Very gory.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #107
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a documentary hound and here is my list for some of the best I've ever seen:

Forensics, Mysteries and Discoveries

The King's Skeleton: Richard III Revealed
http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/full-episodes

Mystery of the Murdered Saints
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/
category: Mystery, pg 2

Jefferson's Secret Bible
http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc...s-secret-bible

The Sphinx
http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc...ets-the-sphinx

JFK: 3 Shots That Changed America (This documentary is exceptional) Pts 1 and 2
Part 1
http://www.history.com/shows/jfk-spe...america-part-1
Part 2
http://www.history.com/shows/jfk-spe...f=1&free=false

Investigating History: The JFK Assassination
http://www.history.com/shows/jfk-spe...f=1&free=false

American and Military History
WWII in HD Colour/13 parts
Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After
The War of 1812
Victory at Sea/ 26 parts

WWII in HD
Show list and web exclusives:
http://www.history.com/shows/wwii-in-hd/videos

Little Big Horn: The Untold Story
http://www.history.com/shows/history...f=1&free=false

The Real Story: Saving Private Ryan

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/full-episodes

Political
Documentaries by award-winning director Errol Morris
http://errolmorris.com/

Nature and Animals

Criminal Penguin (Too funny)
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/fr...al-penguin.htm

Secrets of the Rainforest
http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc...the-rainforest

__________________________________________________ _____

To search more titles, categories and stream top documentaries online for free, visit:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #108
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Blackfish

Killer whales are beloved as majestic, friendly giants yet infamous for their capacity to kill viciously. Blackfish unravels the complexities of this dichotomy, employing the story of the notorious performing whale Tilikum, who - unlike any orca in the wild - has taken the lives of several people while in captivity. Blackfish expands on the discussion of keeping such intelligent creatures in captivity.

------------

Orcas have been called killer whales. Yet there is not one documented case of an Orca, in the wild, harming a human. In captivity, it is a different story.

This movie made me sick to my stomach. From the footage of how they caught the orcas in the wild, taking babies away from wailing mothers; to inhumane training including starvation, operant conditioning, and sensory deprivation; to suddenly repentant humans for their roles in exploiting these animals.

Orcas are highly evolved, social animals. The fabric of their socialization, sense of community, and cooperation far surpasses humans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #109
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

I saw an amazing documentary back in the spring of last year and a friend just asked me what the title of it was and it made me think to add it here. It's called "The Living Matrix" and it's a movie that seamlessly blends physics and spirituality in an easy-to-understand way.

It's very helpful especially for those who suffer from chronic health conditions as it helps explain the possible spiritual lessons behind the experience. It helps those with chronic illness get beyond those "why me" feelings and take an active role in their own recovery.

Since it's kind of hard to explain the movie in words, I posted the trailer below:

Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #110
Happy_Go_Lucky

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Butch who desires femme company.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Handsome devil you.

Thanked 3,359 Times in 626 Posts
Happy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST Reputation

1. Corporate Fascism: The Destruction of America's Middle Class
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbvoiTJKIs"]CORPORATE FASCISM: The Destruction of America's Middle Class - YouTube[/nomedia]

2. Bowling for Columbine (Fascinating doc about America's love of all things gun)

3. Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices (Troubling facts about this mega giant retailers attack on the working poor AND taxpayers)

4. ANY documentary done by Alexandra Pelosi.

Many many well researched and thoughtful docs out there.
Happy_Go_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #111
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

It has to be March of the Penguins.

Those poor penguins, they are so sweet, and suffer so much, travel so far in such terrible weather, trying to find somewhere safe to have their babies, then the passing of the egg from one to another, and when it breaks! I'm nearly crying just thinking about it.

How embarrassing.
Redsunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #112
Asari

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

Asari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST ReputationAsari Has the BEST Reputation

1) Earthlings.

2) Alphabet.

3) [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAJZnfCZbWA"]Cosmic Holes - Mp4 HD - YouTube[/nomedia]

Mahatma Gandhi
Asari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #113
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asari View Post
I couldn't watch the whole of Earthlings, it upset me too much. I know I should, that if more people knew these animals' stories then maybe things would change for them, but it nearly tipped me over the edge.

Or at least get involved in some ALF action. Now there's a thought...
Redsunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #114
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Jews and baseball : an American love story

Traces the Jewish involvement in the history of the sport from the game's earliest days, through the tumultuous war years to today's All-Star games. By analyzing various stages in this history, including how the legendary Sandy Koufax pioneered rights for players and Hank Greenberg's support of Jackie Robinson, the film demonstrates how Jews shaped baseball, and baseball shaped them.

--------

I love baseball stuff. This was an excellent movie if you are a baseball history buff. I love that they added a brief segment on Jewish women in the women's league too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #115
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

One of the most fascinating that I've seen is the documentary on the new One World Trade Center (the rebuilding of the Trade Center) on the PBS series Super Skyscrapers. The high-tech engineering and construction is incredible. Really a well done documentary.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #116
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

WWII in HD (series)
Vietnam in HD (series)
Super City: New York
America's Book of Secrets (series)
Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #117
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Untold History Of The United States - Oliver Stone

Awesomely powerful and equally disturbing.

http://www.untoldhistory.com/
Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #118
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Ken Burns
Dustbowl.

It is totally amazing how and why this man made disaster happened. Well worth watching and learning to make sure nothing like this happens again.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #119
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Awesomely powerful and equally disturbing.

http://www.untoldhistory.com/
Hey, Kobi. How were you able to watch this? Did you just buy each episode one at a time on Amazon?

Any recommendations on how best to buy and perhaps which episodes are especially groundbreaking?

Thanks.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #120
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Hey, Kobi. How were you able to watch this? Did you just buy each episode one at a time on Amazon?

Any recommendations on how best to buy and perhaps which episodes are especially groundbreaking?

Thanks.

Dapper, it is out on dvd now. Ordered a copy from the library. I think I even saw free episodes on you tube.

I am still working my way through all the episodes. I liked all of the first disk - about WW2, Truman, Roosevelt, and Henry Wallace - a new hero in my book. Watched those episodes 3 times each - there was much pre WW2 history intersectionality to wade through.

Working on disk 2 now - the Cold War (boring me at the moment), the 50's, JFK, Johnson Nixon and Vietnam.