Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
D-Money

How Do You Identify?:
i do what i want :)
Relationship Status:
well, i'm not banging my ex anymore, so that's good ;)

Location: at The Pink Taco. really ... it's called The Pink Taco ;)
D-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST Reputation
Default "Tough Guise"

an extremely interesting video about the downside of the facade of masculinity.

it's geared toward high school and college aged men, but i think it reaches further than that= to anyone who wears the cloak of masculinity and all of us who live with those who do- which means all of us ... interesting stuff.

i'll just leave this here ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2437500432634#
D-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-Money For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for posting this. I plan to watch the video later when I have time. I see queer communities often reveling in masculinity and thinking we can bond over masculinity without a lot of examination or discussion about it is or where it comes from, and it makes me very uneasy.

I see lots of people wanting to be acknowledged as male or masculine but not really show much self reflection or take on the responsibilities or consequences of what that means in our culture at large or in queer communities or butch femme communities specifically. There's a lot of posturing, but how much substance? None of us are immune from the cultures we come from.

I am butch, I am masculine and do enjoy being masculine- but the "tough guise"- it needs to be examined.

Thanks again D-Money.
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
D-Money

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

D-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST Reputation

awesome, Bulldog!! i hope folks are able to find the time to watch this ... there's a lot of great stuff in this video. it's important!!

(good to see you again, Bulldog!)
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Gryph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful girl

Gryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST Reputation

I won't be able to watch it all, as I have to go to work, but what I've seen so far...Powerful!

"The three things that bring the most balance into my life, Will, Intent and Purpose. With out these there is no honor." - Storm Cloud Woman
Gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

damn...........I'm sending the link to my nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews........and a whole bunch of other folks

the 'average American in the Heartland' really really needs to see this.......

comments to come after I digest..........
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
PapaC

How Do You Identify?:
FTM-Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

PapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST Reputation

No kidding. I'm listening to this right now, and I think I'm in love with this man who made this film.
PapaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
D-Money

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

i'm so glad some folks are viewing this and appreciating it! and passing it on!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

I just wanted to pop in and say that I plan on taking the time to sit still long enough to watch this weekend.

This video has inspired some important conversation, and I hope that we can continue it here, with open minds and respect.

Toughy, looking forward to reading your impressions.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
D-Money

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

yay!! did you, Bent?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

My thoughts are about misogyny and the way almost all cultures for the last 2000 years place far more value on masculine/male/man. This devaluing of feminine/female/woman has lead us to this video that drives home the idea that women are vessels for the next generation of men. And you can objectify and beat us and do what ever you want because we are not as good as men........we are 'other' and 'less than'.

This focus on a false definition of what it means to be masculine or male or man has created such violence and objectification against women and against men.

This has become so institutionalized that some folks find a headless torso wiggling around to be funny. Some folks don't even get how that kind of thing sets the stage for more violence and more objectification and makes it difficult to raise boys and men differently.

And then there is advertising.........how products are marketed and the difference in the way products are marketed depending on the target audience.

Girls and women are becoming more violent in this culture.....and not just in the US. That is happening because violence has become the norm and girls think it's ok to be violent. And I'm not just talking about physical abuse kind of violence. Violence does not have to be physical.

That's some of what is running around in my head. I need to go back and watch the video again.
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
D-Money

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post

This focus on a false definition of what it means to be masculine or male or man ...
i wouldn't call it "false" ... it exists and is accepted- by men and women alike.

i also wouldn't say that it is fair or healthy- especially for men.

it is real and it is what it is ... and can be changed. it must be changed.

we can't begin to change a thing until we understand it, where it came from and why it's still "working".

as far as women have come in the last 40 years, men need to come that far as well.

upholding the facade of traditional masculinity is making men- and all others who strive to meet this strange ideal- live shorter, less fulfilling lives.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

To me a real man/butch/masculine carbon based lifeform, is tough. But there are many ways of being tough that have little to do with violence or anger. Tough can be physical, or mental. Tough can be standing up for what you beleve in. Tough can be giving your friend your coat because she is cold and you are tough enough to tolerate the cold till you get inside.

But that is merely one thing that makes someone a real man. I think another attribute is to be the guy who stands behind those hy loves. Hy is a good significant other, a good friend that helps you and understands you if hy is a dad hy loves and supports hys kids. Hy is the kind of person who you can call at midnight for someone to talk to. Hy is the nice guy who does not mind fixing something of helping move something.

Just because your masculine does not mean you have the feelings of a pet rock!
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bad_boi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
chai~

How Do You Identify?:
Self possessed Aquarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't call me baby~
Relationship Status:
Deliciously single and loving it.

Thanked 3,383 Times in 864 Posts
chai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputation

~saving for later~
chai~ is offline   Reply With Quote