Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Amante

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Going steady

Amante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST Reputation
Default Resources for teen/young adult transguys?

A friend of mine's teen son is transitioning and having some anxiety and other issues with his GYN and other needs specific to his bio body.

But more than anything else, he doesn't know any transmen, is not a part of any trans community even online (though his mom is an activist for parents of trans kids), and his mom wants to get him hooked up with a community or group that would be appropriate for his age (16-17yo teen).

Can you recommend any genuinely good online resources/communities that would be appropriate for a young transguy to frequent?

Also, do you know of any good articles about navigating GYN exams as a transman? Not regarding finding a good and accepting doctor (though clearly that's important) -- I mean the emotional comfort aspects of it.

Aside: This, together with the number of parents I know from my network of folks who are raising gender-variant kids, points to a huge need for resources (think Our Bodies/Ourselves, or the teen equivalent) for teen transfolk. Anyone want to take this on as a project? Or maybe it exists, even if just in an online format?!?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Laura's Playground

This is the link for the home page for the site:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/

All forums:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/

This is the link to the teen forum:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/for...p?showforum=21

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
DMW

How Do You Identify?:
FTM/Male (Will 14)
Relationship Status:
Caught An Angel and she doesn't lie!

Thanked 1,861 Times in 614 Posts
DMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Amante,

I highly recommend this book and pamphlet...for transmen and their families.
This pamphlet and book assist teens and trans people to inform their loved ones of their struggle
without it having to come from the individual. It helps families and others understand.
Just in case any are struggling out there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Trans-Forming-Families-Stories-Transgendered/dp/0615123074/"]http://www.amazon.com/Trans-Forming-Families-Stories-Transgendered/dp/0615123074/[/ame]

http://www.pflaggreensboro.org/Docum...%20Edition.pdf

http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_...5thedition.pdf

I can't recall the link to ftm- mtf groups.

Dapper gave you good sites. Pretty sure there are links to local groups there.

I, myself, am not around here enough.

Good luck

Last edited by DMW; 09-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DMW For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amante View Post
A friend of mine's teen son is transitioning and having some anxiety and other issues with his GYN and other needs specific to his bio body.

But more than anything else, he doesn't know any transmen, is not a part of any trans community even online (though his mom is an activist for parents of trans kids), and his mom wants to get him hooked up with a community or group that would be appropriate for his age (16-17yo teen).

Can you recommend any genuinely good online resources/communities that would be appropriate for a young transguy to frequent?

Also, do you know of any good articles about navigating GYN exams as a transman? Not regarding finding a good and accepting doctor (though clearly that's important) -- I mean the emotional comfort aspects of it.

Aside: This, together with the number of parents I know from my network of folks who are raising gender-variant kids, points to a huge need for resources (think Our Bodies/Ourselves, or the teen equivalent) for teen transfolk. Anyone want to take this on as a project? Or maybe it exists, even if just in an online format?!?

Hello amante ,
There is a website called emptyclosets.com and although there are varied ages on there , there is a large group that is high school ages and its designed for anyone who are " still in the closet " for many reasons of fear of family reactions , coworker reactions , friends reactions and also for people who have a million questions with nobody in their own life to help them answer . The topics are very good actually which covers the whole lgbt community as a whole . The moderators are diverse some are straight with gay children and they cover Questions that other straight parents ask who have kids who are gay , there is am ftm and a mtf who answers questions related to those , etc... You get the idea .
I found it a while back when I was researching a specific question for a research paper I was writing .
I would definitely recommend your friends son to use that as a resource and to your friend as a resource too . www.emptyclosets.com
Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
odd_boi_out

How Do You Identify?:
transmasculine, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
they
Relationship Status:
Single

odd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputation

There are also a lot of trans teens on The Trevor Project's secure social networking site, TrevorSpace. https://www.trevorspace.org/
odd_boi_out is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to odd_boi_out For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd_boi_out View Post
There are also a lot of trans teens on The Trevor Project's secure social networking site, TrevorSpace. https://www.trevorspace.org/
This looks good, odd boi out. It also says it is a monitored space to keep it safe for "all their members" (ages 13-24), which should work for a 16 year old boy, Amante.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Amante

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Going steady

Amante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST ReputationAmante Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks!!! Fortunately, his family is massively supportive - in fact, his mom has morphed into a strong and public advocate for trans kids, so he's had her as his champion for years. She's actually the one realizing now that he really needs more than his family's support - he needs mentors, guidance specific to being a trans teen, and peer support for navigating some of the things that are emotionally challenging/embarrassing even for many cis teens (such as GYN exams) that take on a whole different set of issues for a trans teen. And unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that they live in an area where there really aren't any support group type of resources.

I'll pass along these resources. Thanks again!