FemmeBibliophile

How Do You Identify?:
i no longer do
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
null and void

Thanked 1,442 Times in 337 Posts
FemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST Reputation
Default Foster Parents/Adoptive Parents

I'm just curious if there are any other foster parents/adoptive parents here on the board?

I am a licensed foster parent. I have had over a dozen children in and out of my home over the past five years. They have ranged from newborn to 18 years old.

I would love to *connect* with other foster parents, and even those who have done adoption... Whether it be open or closed, through child protective services or through an agency/attorney!
FemmeBibliophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FemmeBibliophile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

I am a former foster parent - had one foster child for 2.5 years ('01-03), from a few days after her 13th birthday. I had planned to adopt, but her behavior became so manipulative and destructive that as much as it broke my heart, it finally became clear that she wasn't going to be able to stay with me.

A good friend of mine who was inspired by me to become a foster parent is now the proud [single!] parent of three 10 year-olds: One boy who was placed with her an an infant then briefly returned to his mother when he was 18m, and twins who were placed with her when her first son was back with his birth mom.

My state is just now beginning to recognize that placing LGBT youth with even the most well-meaning foster parents who are conservative Christian (as many in this state are) can result in extremely hurtful (either inadvertently or deliberately) environments for those kids, and so they are going to begin recruiting LGBT and ally families for those kids. Once my ex is out of my house and I've given my life the chance to settle down for a bit, I am going to consider doing this.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Fostered seven, adopted four of them. They are all grown now (Boy 24, girl 23, boy 21, Boy,20) and mostly OK, but there were some very VERY hard times with all three boys during their teen years.
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

I was just thinking about this over the past few days. Interesting that this thread would pop up at this time.

I have fostered in the past, and then got so busy with my own children, plus the occasional safety factor for my children, that I gave it up.

I had thought I was done having children until my granddaughters were born and now I am having second thoughts.

I know I really don't want to do the baby thing again, but school aged children would be really nice. I know it is a lot of work, but it is also very rewarding.

I think as soon as I get my life back on track that I will look into the process again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Raven.

How Do You Identify?:
Butch! Tomboi
Relationship Status:
Single

Raven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST ReputationRaven. Has the BEST Reputation

I've fostered 2 kids, one 10 the other a teenage boy 14. I had him till last year. Still love him to bits. Having children made things a bit different and I found that love looked different. I grew up in 'care' (not) so fostering is always something that I would do. I also work in that area. In Australia things are very different although as globalisation takes over we are becoming as mean and punitive as the best of conservative politics allows. Not sure what that will mean for our kids. More will just die or be unhappy I suppose.
Raven. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raven. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Heavenleahangel

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Femme; Earth bound Angel and Babygirl;
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Angel, as long as it's respectful
Relationship Status:
Waiting for the One who can complete me

Thanked 2,069 Times in 468 Posts
Heavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST ReputationHeavenleahangel Has the BEST Reputation

I have been a foster parent to 6 children, all with special needs and behavioral issues. I also adopted a boy, now 5, when he was brand spanking new! It's a match made in Heaven! He looks just like me! Until I got sick last year, I would have had taken another baby in a heartbeat! Now, I have a too-smart 5 year old boy who gives me a run for my money DAILY!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
FemmeBibliophile

How Do You Identify?:
i no longer do
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
null and void

Thanked 1,442 Times in 337 Posts
FemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST ReputationFemmeBibliophile Has the BEST Reputation

I'm glad to see others on the board who have been there/done that regarding foster care.

Out of all the kids I've had... The hardest were the ones who came from the hospital addicted to something and still going through withdrawals. However, the kids with RAD were a close second.

What are some of the difficulties that you guys faced while fostering? Or just those "stupid" questions you got from those who really didn't know about fostering?
FemmeBibliophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FemmeBibliophile For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Thanked 1,100 Times in 288 Posts
girllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputation

This is an older less active thread but yep I am a mom via foster/adopt. My girl is GREAT smart, funny, better looking than anything I coulda baked in my own oven and CONSTANTLY moving and talking. All I can say is the baby with withdrawal ain't NUTHIN compared to the kid who used to be that baby. Sleep is for the weak, people.

Most irritating and intrusive question we get is "Is her daddy black?" When I am feeling cranky I will answer with something to the effect of "I'm not sure, it was a busy night!"
girllikeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girllikeu2 For This Useful Post: