Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #841
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"Delicate Genius"...........

A highly touted professional (such as a doctor or lawyer) who would not think of talking business outside of business hours. A professional who should never be asked questions outside of his/her offices confines.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #842
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

.....Tabula Rasa.....

Greek translation of this phrase generally means to have a clean slate....the idea that any something exists first in an unmarked, unblemished or without previous impression. It can also mean, for some, the chance to begin anew or start anew.

(I like this phrase a lot and feel it's very useful, positive, true).

_____ ______
Old 08-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #843
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
.....Tabula Rasa.....

Greek translation of this phrase generally means to have a clean slate....the idea that any something exists first in an unmarked, unblemished or without previous impression. It can also mean, for some, the chance to begin anew or start anew.

(I like this phrase a lot and feel it's very useful, positive, true).
Would this be the American equivalent of "To Wipe The Slate Clean" Miss Katz?
Old 08-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #844
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Would this be the American equivalent of "To Wipe The Slate Clean" Miss Katz?
I believe so, homoe. Lots of people use this particular expression in that way. But if you look up the Greek translation, it's thought to mean something in its unmarked state of consciousness.... Like a newborn human being, for example.

_____ ______
Old 08-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #845
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

I may of posted this before but it bears repeating......

"Hop Over A Quarter To Pick Up A Penny'...........

Passing on something only to get something else of lesser value!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #846
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

It's Not You, It's Me"...............
Old 08-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #847
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:

It's Not You, It's Me"...............
The phrase "it's not you, it's me" is a cliche used when someone breaks up with another person.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #848
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"A Double-Edged Sword".........

Anything that causes both advantages and disadvantages!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #849
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"My Dogs Are Barking" ............

If your dogs are barking, this means that your feet are hurting.

Sidebar: There is a brand of shoe called "Hush Puppy" and it's named that as a reference to the expression, "My dogs are barking." In the case of the shoe, Hush Puppies are supposedly so comfortable they can quiet your puppies - that is, stop your feet from hurting.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #850
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Quote:
"My Dogs Are Barking" ............

If your dogs are barking, this means that your feet are hurting.

Sidebar: There is a brand of shoe called "Hush Puppy" and it's named that as a reference to the expression, "My dogs are barking." In the case of the shoe, Hush Puppies are supposedly so comfortable they can quiet your puppies - that is, stop your feet from hurting.
Oh, that is very interesting!!! I've never heard this before. Is it a saying that is somehow regional by design??? I think it's a terribly cute way to say your feet are tired!!!

_____ ______
Old 08-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #851
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Oh, that is very interesting!!! I've never heard this before. Is it a saying that is somehow regional by design??? I think it's a terribly cute way to say your feet are tired!!!
Miss Katz:

According to what I found this is an old expression, typically associated with the South and especially concentrated around the Appalachian Mountain chain. Older usage didn't connote smelly or dirty feet, just sore feet.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #852
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Quote:
Miss Katz:

According to what I found this is an old expression, typically associated with the South and especially concentrated around the Appalachian Mountain chain. Older usage didn't connote smelly or dirty feet, just sore feet.
okay, homoe, I think I understand now what you were talking about!

You know, late last night, it came to me that my late grandmother always wore hush puppy shoes for her role at work as an head dietician. Back in the day, I'd say it was early 1960s, no shoe retailer made shoes for women to wear that felt comfortable for women....especially women who were on their feet all day long. Even early models of nursing shoes were not comfortable at all...because it was nearly 1973 before my mother could find a comfortable shoes to wear. Both my mother and her mother worked long hours on their feet in both their roles as an dietician and nurse. So, even I couldn't find shoes comfortable enough to wear in all the years I worked in my former career, but I could never ever find a pair of hush puppies that would fit my feet. I'm tall, my feet are sort of long, but not too wide... I'm a "B" or "C" width. Mom and grandmother had fairly little feet, which worked perfectly for them to buy a pair or three of hush puppies.

Thanks for jogging my memory, homoe

_____ ______
Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #853
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

.....A Bone of Contention.....

Using this phrase of expression generally means that there is an ongoing issue of disagreement which is not easily solved or, worst case scenario, is never solved.

_____ ______
Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #854
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"In Short Order".................

To take care of a task very quickly.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #855
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Hot Under The Collar".................

To be upset over some matter! Someone or something has made you mad!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #856
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Not For All the Tea In China"..............

Not at any price. Never!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #857
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Be Still My Heart"...............

An exclamation that something is too exciting or overwhelming for one to bear; literally, that it is causing one's heart to beat too fast.

In modern usage, it is almost always used sarcastically to imply that something is actually mundane, uninteresting, or unappealing.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #858
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Thrifty With A Buck"......................"Penny Pincher"

A person who is very frugal. Someone careful about how they spend money.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #859
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Put The Cart Before The Horse"..........

To have things in the wrong order; to have things confused and mixed up.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #860
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,125 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

"Que Sera Sera " Whatever Will Be, Will Be !
Closed Thread