Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #1361
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

raylan - elmore leonard
a quick fun read but all fluff and no meat
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #1362
Daktari

A 12 step programme book; It Works - How and Why.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #1363
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished a book called, One Simple Act. I read it in 2 and a half hours. 207 pages. =) By Debbie Macomber
Old 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #1364
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Calico Joe - John Grisham

"A surprising and moving novel of fathers and sons, forgiveness and redemption, set in the world of major league baseball."

Sweet story. If you like baseball, sweet stories, the Cubs and/or Mets from 1973, or Arkansas, you might enjoy this.

I liked it tho it brought back memories of Red Sox outfielder Tony Conigliaro, a young man who seemed destined for greatness in baseball until August 18, 1967 when the 24 year old, 5th year pro was beaned by Angels pitcher Jack Hamilton. Tony sustained a fractured cheekbone, dislocated jaw, and severe damage to his left retina. Tho he was eventually able to comeback to play, he was never the same and was forced to retire due to the permanent damage to his eyesight.

Not all was for naught tho. Tony still holds the MLB record for most home runs (25) hit by a teenage player. He is the second-youngest player to hit his 100th homer (after Mel Ott in 1931), and the youngest American League player to do so.

His beaning spurred the use of the ear flap on helmets in MLB. Since 1990, the Tony Conigliaro Award is given annually to the player who best overcomes an obstacle and adversity through the attributes of spirit, determination and courage that were trademarks of Conigliaro.

Unfortunately, Tony died in 1990 at the age of 45. He had suffered a heart attack and a stroke shortly there after. He remained in a vegetative state for 8 years before his death.

One pitch forever changed the lives of 2 men. Jack Hamilton never fully recovered, either --- unwilling to pitch inside for fear of severely injuring another batter, Hamilton's strikeout rate declined, his opponents' batting average rose, and his earned run average soared. He retired in 1969.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #1365
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Book 10 of the Noble Dead series, Of Truth and Beasts by Barb & J.C. Hendee. Only one more then I'm all caught up in time for the new one to come out. A very enjoyable fantasy series.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #1366
Daktari

Europe since 1870: An International History (4th ed.) ...James Joll
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #1367
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading the latest issue of Batwoman from DC comics. If you didn't know she is an out lesbian crime fighter. Good stuff.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #1368
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Tina Fey's, Bossypants.

She's smart and funny--two of my most favourite traits in others
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #1369
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

Switching between

Conquistadora by Esmeralda Santiago

UNBROKEN, by Laura Hillenbrand and

THE AMATEUR, by Edward Klein (little disappointing)
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1370
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
Mein Kampf
Interesting.
I'm reading Forgotten Holocaust.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #1371
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

fifty shades of grey.

mostly for the lulz?
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1372
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Default La Llorona legend...

A Pattern of Silent Tears~by Marianna Ruybalid
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #1373
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

The Blessed Life by Robert Morris

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #1374
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

Christopher Hitchens
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #1375
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

For my birthday I got a fabulous gift card. I had it spent in one day.

Capote, a biography, by Gerald Clarke
In cold blood, by Truman Capote
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

I love coming in here as it gives me more ideas for books to read. I have a whole list of books to choose from.
Happy reading everyone!

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #1376
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I couldn't even finish the new Augusten Burroughs book. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I think he's being serious and trying to offer real self-help advice.... except he comes of as soooo cynical and inept that it's like George Costanza from Seinfeld has taken possession of Dr. Wayne Dyer. Burroughs has his catty queen moments, which is maybe what he was going for, but he takes himself far too seriously and it ends up coming off as preachy and irritating. Have you ever been subjected to the ramblings of a drunk at 2 AM, and you're stone cold sober? You know how they're so certain and declarative, and sure that every word they say is so profound and meaningful... but the logic is so circular and redundant, and really, they're just annoying as hell? Yeah, that's this book.

Instead of finishing the Augusten Burroughs book (even the title is too annoying to retype here), I read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Good quick read, lots of interesting depression-era historical facts, but it doesn't really live up to the hype. Maybe that's unfair, though- without the expectations that came from all the hype, I'd have no complaints.

Last night I downloaded Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. I haven't started it yet- I'm still laughing at myself for even buying it. But dammit, the movie trailer actually looks good!!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #1377
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

I saw the trailers too. I will look into the book after you give your review. No pressure! lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
I couldn't even finish the new Augusten Burroughs book. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I think he's being serious and trying to offer real self-help advice.... except he comes of as soooo cynical and inept that it's like George Costanza from Seinfeld has taken possession of Dr. Wayne Dyer. Burroughs has his catty queen moments, which is maybe what he was going for, but he takes himself far too seriously and it ends up coming off as preachy and irritating. Have you ever been subjected to the ramblings of a drunk at 2 AM, and you're stone cold sober? You know how they're so certain and declarative, and sure that every word they say is so profound and meaningful... but the logic is so circular and redundant, and really, they're just annoying as hell? Yeah, that's this book.

Instead of finishing the Augusten Burroughs book (even the title is too annoying to retype here), I read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Good quick read, lots of interesting depression-era historical facts, but it doesn't really live up to the hype. Maybe that's unfair, though- without the expectations that came from all the hype, I'd have no complaints.

Last night I downloaded Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. I haven't started it yet- I'm still laughing at myself for even buying it. But dammit, the movie trailer actually looks good!!

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #1378
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Wool - by Hugh Howey

Author's description of story: This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

So far so good - I'm about 60% done with the omnibus (volumes 1 - 5 all in one file 550 pages worth).

Could improve on his character development - but the plot is intriguing and I still have no idea what's going to happen, which is very unusual for me.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #1379
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Agnes Grey.
What a whiner!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #1380
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I read two great books, both of which I strongly recommend.

1) The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt by Jon-Jon Goulian

This is a memoir by a quirky brilliant hilarious genderqueer. A real stand out! If you've ever felt like a misfit but followed your own path anyway and laughed at yourself to keep the sadness from overtaking you, you'll love this book! It's truly a unique read!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Gray-Flannel-Skirt/dp/1400068118"]Amazon.com: The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt (9781400068111): Jon-Jon Goulian: Books[/ame]

2) You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know: A True Story of Family, Face Blindness, and Forgiveness by Heather Sellers

This book got so-so reviews but it shouldn't have because it was AMAZING. It's a memoir by a woman with the condition of face blindness, where someone can't see faces. Ms. Sellers is a BRILLIANT woman and shares her research on face blindness as it relates to her own face blindness. She grew up with a schizophrenic mother who was too paranoid to look at the author's face, even as a baby, and the author wonders if this is what caused her face blindness. She goes on to describe psychological theory related to her own theory about this. In addition to the issue of face blindness being beautifully addressed in the book (including the hardships of being face blind and the awkwardness of whether to come out at work, for instance), she gives a wonderful history of life in an extremely dysfunctional family. This book had every aspect of what makes a great book to me. Check it out!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Look-Like-Anyone-Know/dp/B007SRXKMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339624629&sr=1-2&keywords=face+blindness"]Amazon.com: You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know: A True Story of Family, Face Blindness, and Forgiveness: Heather Sellers: Books[/ame]
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading