starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation
Default Scaring straight women.. rawwrrr... lol

Last weekend I was on a working trip which required me to share a close space with a co-worker (I work on cruiseships, and we share an inside room). The two of us never met before, but she seemed nice and I felt it would be a great week sailing the seas! I did not openly discuss my sexuality with her initially, because, why should I?

Anyways, the first two days, we worked closely together, and she started asking me about which guys I liked in the ship, do I have a boyfriend, etc. I just blew it off, told her I am not looking, not wanting to get into my “lesbianism” with her, lol. Anyways, one night another co-worker (gay) and I were at the bar talking and she came up on our conversation about people we were dating. She looked at me funny, and I told her I was a lesbian. She immediately looked horrified and asked me “Do you think I am cute”? I knew it was downhill from there.

After that, sharing our space became a horrible awkward experience. Every time we were in the room, I could feel her looking at me out of the corner of my eye to make sure I was not looking at her changing (lol), and things of that nature. Wow, this was the first time I felt like a “Lesbian Predator”, lol. Being a femme, and being “invisible” most of the time, I have never had to deal with this. It really bothered me, so I just needed to vent.

Love you femme ladies!!
Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Sometimes I scare straight women and sometimes I just scare their husbands.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Sometimes I scare straight women and sometimes I just scare their husbands.
sounds fun! lol :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

I totally get what you are saying. Happens to me often for some reason. I just don't get it. With some I think it is a "horror" type thing, some are just apprehensive, and some are just down-right conceited.

I had a woman stand up in my social diversity class the other day when we were talking about folks who pass,etc and say "omg, every lesbian I've ever met wants me!" I'm sitting behind her, once again trying not to punch her in the back of the head (because she says stupid crap constantly). I interrupted her long enough to say "Darlin, trust me. I'm queer and wouldn't give you the time of day." (Which was much more polite than what I wanted to say.) The cute butch sitting next to her agreed my statement.

Now she's all pissy at us, and keeps asking "What, am I not pretty enough?" *blink blink* Seriously??

dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

Welcome to what it's like to be a butch...24/7. Uncomfortable, eh?

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post
Yes, it is, and it gives me more (if thats possible!) adoration for all you beautiful, amazing butches for being who you are and having to deal with such nonsense. Hugs to all of you on the spectrum.

Starry
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
I totally get what you are saying. Happens to me often for some reason. I just don't get it. With some I think it is a "horror" type thing, some are just apprehensive, and some are just down-right conceited.

I had a woman stand up in my social diversity class the other day when we were talking about folks who pass,etc and say "omg, every lesbian I've ever met wants me!" I'm sitting behind her, once again trying not to punch her in the back of the head (because she says stupid crap constantly). I interrupted her long enough to say "Darlin, trust me. I'm queer and wouldn't give you the time of day." (Which was much more polite than what I wanted to say.) The cute butch sitting next to her agreed my statement.

Now she's all pissy at us, and keeps asking "What, am I not pretty enough?" *blink blink* Seriously??

*rolls eyes*... yeah. I thought the same thing when she asked me if I thought she was cute... um NO. I told her I liked "girls who looked like boys" (I had to go elementary on her).. she still didn't get it and was asking me if every hot girl she saw was cute. When we left, I said "peace out".. and went back to my queer folks... ahhh... I don't ever wanna leave again!! :-D
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Dreams
In memory of

How Do You Identify?:
self proclaimed ruler of nekid monday's
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you..
Relationship Status:
busy..

Dreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST Reputation

I try to have fun with the whole you "must want me cause i'm female" thing they have going on in their narrow little minds. once they get to where the subject is even broached about whether i am attracted to them, i simply state "i have standards and you just don't meet them"..i have almost brought a few to tears with that one. not that i need to but, I explain why should i bother with you when there are plenty of what does meet my standards available to me, women that get me.

the part i'm not sure i get is ..normally they will start to flirt with me..WTF is that about..LOL..

It is good to have an end to journey towards,
but it is the journey that matters in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,150 Posts
Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation

I think part of what scares them is that they didn't see us coming. They were hanging out with us, enjoying our company, thinking that we are pretty cool - and one of them.

Finding out that their neat little definitions of us are completely wrong and that we are the dreaded "other", throws them into a narrow-minded spin.

With such people, I know longer even try to explain to them what my type is, only that it is not them. If someone is already so ignorant, they are not going to get my fondness for gender-benders. Because the next thing out of their mouths is going to be something about what I really want is a real man but I don't know it because I am fucked up in some way. AT THIS POINT - someone is about to be slapped.

Of course, different situations call for different levels of disclosure. And maybe we can educate a few people in situations like these. But sometimes, it's just useless.
My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
Ms. Meander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

When a straight woman assumes you want every woman you see, ask her, well, do you want every man you see? Mebbe then she will get it.

Oh, and sorry for posting here since I am not a Femme, just adding a suggestion.

Last edited by atomiczombie; 05-28-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: adding apology
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

The irony of that is straight women come on to dykes WAY more often than we come on to them.

i like feminine women too, but i have no desire to introduce someone to lesbian sex. What she probably thinks of as lesbian sex is not the kind of sex i like.

i really have had a number of straight women just express shock that i was not interested in fucking them.

i guess they think they're doing us a favor.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post

Really?

It seems to me the femme experience (which is what I believed this thread to be about) has marked differences, and that the OP was speaking in part about the impact of the sudden lifting of the veil of invisibility, which is not a thing any masculine presenting person has to face.

I'm not butch, but as a masculine person, I wouldn't say I much relate to the OP's experience, though I have become the object (uncomfortably so) of others bi-curiosity. Perhaps it's because I'm not trying to occupy "female" space (for example, sharing a room during business travel), or maybe because I do not otherwise engage in "predatory" type behaviors, but I believe my indifference conveys exactly the message I wish.

I think Drew had good advice: "When a straight woman assumes you want every woman you see, ask her, well, do you want every man you see?"

Also, my apologies for sticking my nose in femme space. I'm curious about this aspect of femme invisibility, and the repercussions.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

How about the ones that ask if you are attracted to them then get offended when you say no. "Well why not?!!"

Sorry you have to go through this starry. Maybe she will come around and realize you are still the same person.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Have had this happen.
I look them in the eye and tell them, "Sorry, but I won't date anyone who would wear my clothes or borrow my makeup on a regular basis."

I get a bit annoyed at the idea that I am so out of control with my sexual preferences that I would pounce on someone.

Agree with the sentiments expressed re: Do you want every man you see?

NO MAS!
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post

Because she would have already tap danced on my last nerve with the other stuff she's said in your class, I think I would look her directly in the eye and say, "Frankly, no." and then walk away. Her insecurities would take care of the rest.

It doesn't matter that, to me, she'd fall into the 'too pretty' category. I'm just mean enough to prefer the other way.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I get a bit annoyed at the idea that I am so out of control with my sexual preferences that I would pounce on someone.
This exactly. With the whole queer/lgbt spectrum the general public seem to have this idea that we're all a bunch of out of control sexual predators who are just waiting to pounce on straight people. Centuries of propaganda have done their work on the heterosexual psyche...
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

One of the weirder experiences i had was with a friend's sister. She would not give up. She is a married straight woman. She had had two affairs with women. Apparently her husband didn't care or didn't count affairs with women to be the same. Then she lost a lesbian friend of hers by constantly hitting on her. Then she ran me off too. In between hitting on us, she bitched about her husband. i am not sure whether we were supposed to fill a need he couldn't or wouldn't, or whether she was trying to convince us that the relationship wasn't that strong.

My god that women would not take no for an answer. i had to stop going to my friend's parties and events because she would be there.

So years later, i thought it must be safe and i went to one of his parties. She was there and introduced me to someone as the woman she almost married. *shaking my head* In her dreams.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
Last weekend I was on a working trip which required me to share a close space with a co-worker (I work on cruiseships, and we share an inside room). The two of us never met before, but she seemed nice and I felt it would be a great week sailing the seas! I did not openly discuss my sexuality with her initially, because, why should I?

Anyways, the first two days, we worked closely together, and she started asking me about which guys I liked in the ship, do I have a boyfriend, etc. I just blew it off, told her I am not looking, not wanting to get into my “lesbianism” with her, lol. Anyways, one night another co-worker (gay) and I were at the bar talking and she came up on our conversation about people we were dating. She looked at me funny, and I told her I was a lesbian. She immediately looked horrified and asked me “Do you think I am cute”? I knew it was downhill from there.

After that, sharing our space became a horrible awkward experience. Every time we were in the room, I could feel her looking at me out of the corner of my eye to make sure I was not looking at her changing (lol), and things of that nature. Wow, this was the first time I felt like a “Lesbian Predator”, lol. Being a femme, and being “invisible” most of the time, I have never had to deal with this. It really bothered me, so I just needed to vent.

Love you femme ladies!!
Starry
Welcome to a Butches world.... We or at least I go through this almost daily. Not being asked but the gesture's and the looks and yes even the "sir, you have the wrong bathroom."

It's every day living for me.
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

i kinda agree that this is not exactly the same as what butches deal with. There is that shock of betrayal because they assumed we were straight, and they identify with us more, find it harder to "other" us. They are more likely then to say inappropriate and intrusive things, even people who are not normally like that.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

Sorry folks, it was not My intent to negate or diminish starry's experience. I apologize. I posted because her experience resonated with Me, especially when I first came out. I didn't notice this was posted in "The Femme Zone" until after I had already replied.

~Elijah

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post: